PDA

View Full Version : Roethlisberger will break the Steelers all time passing record in 2012

BlitzburghRockCity
06-18-2012, 02:43 PM
A good friend of SteelDad and SteelerAddicts, Neal Coolong, writes for BTSC (http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2012/6/18/3094209/pittsburgh-steelers-all-time-records-passing-ben-roethlisberger-terry-bradshaw) and put up a short piece on Ben and the probability of breaking the Steelers all time passing yardage record.

It's definitely a no brainer that Ben will put this record in his favor by mid point of the season at the latest unless something catastrophic happens.

That doesn't dilute Roethlisberger's accomplishments, though. his 63.1 career completion percentage stands alone all-time (well ahead of Tommy Maddox's 58.2) and Roethlisberger's five touchdown passes in a 2007 game against Baltimore and last year against Tennessee tied him with Mark Malone and Bradshaw. Roethlisberger has thrown four in a game on two other occasions.

Roethlisberger will break Bradshaw's career yards mark of 27,989. Roethlisberger will start 2012 at 26,579.

He sits 47 touchdown passes from Bradshaw's 212, and he will have done it in far fewer games, and having thrown nearly exactly half as many interceptions (Bradshaw threw 210, Roethlisberger is at 100 going into this year).

Even without WR Hines Ward, who essentially re-wrote the Steelers' entire receiving record book, Roethlisberger looks to shatter most game, season and career passing records. Some of it may be due to the passing era, but Roethlisberger ranked 11th all time with a career 92.1 passer rating and his 165 touchdown passes ties him with Hall of Fame QB Troy Aikman for 59th all time.

LatrobePA
06-18-2012, 03:00 PM
Just win baby!

BlitzburghRockCity
06-18-2012, 03:48 PM
Ben will go down much like Hines; owning every significant QB record in team history. I'll be interested to see how he's ultimately rated as the Steelers all time best QB. When he eventually hangs up his cleats even if he owns every single passing record known to man there will still be die hards that think Bradshaw was better.

One of the things that Ben and Terry will always have in common other than being Steelers, is their toughness. If it wasn't for that trait neither one would have survived as long as they did/have so far.

ChucktownSteeler
06-18-2012, 06:41 PM
The only stat that matters is the "W".

What did Chas Noll used to say: Stats are for losers!

Just hoist #7 in February.

CowherPower
06-18-2012, 10:56 PM
Ben doesn't care about his stats, but he's going to be crush Bradshaw's record this season with 4K passing yards. The longer he plays the more he's going to etch himself in stone as the greatest Steelers QB ever. The only thing that Bradshaw will have on him, and I've always been a big fan of TB, is the super bowl games. Terry showed up big in championships and got 4 rings. Ben has 2 rings and 3 appearances. He's going to get atleast 1 more before he retires.

Black@Gold Forever32
06-18-2012, 11:17 PM
I really shouldn't comment on Terry Bradshaw since I was born in 79 but Terry did have a ton of Hall of Famers around him on those Super Bowl teams.....No doubt Terry had a great arm and really one of the strongest arms of all time but it did help to have WR's like Swann/Stallworth.....

Ben won his first Super Bowl with Hines Ward, Randle El, and Cedric freaking Wilson as his top three WR's.....lol I think Ward is deserving of Canton but I don't think anybody would argue that Swann/Stallworth were better then Ward.....Imagine Swann in this era of protecting NFL WR's? Swann would dominate and his sideline catch in Super Bowl X has to be one of the greatest catches of alltime....I can go only go by the highlights since that was three years before I was born....lol

Root4Stlrs
06-18-2012, 11:34 PM
I really shouldn't comment on Terry Bradshaw since I was born in 79 but Terry did have a ton of Hall of Famers around him on those Super Bowl teams.....No doubt Terry had a great arm and really one of the strongest arms of all time but it did help to have WR's like Swann/Stallworth.....

Ben won his first Super Bowl with Hines Ward, Randle El, and Cedric freaking Wilson as his top three WR's.....lol I think Ward is deserving of Canton but I don't think anybody would argue that Swann/Stallworth were better then Ward.....Imagine Swann in this era of protecting NFL WR's? Swann would dominate and his sideline catch in Super Bowl X has to be one of the greatest catches of alltime....I can go only go by the highlights since that was three years before I was born....lol

That was also before the free agency era. You couldn't keep a team like that together in this day and age.

K Train
06-18-2012, 11:35 PM
ward broke the records on longevity, ben is gonna shatter the records on dominance. realistically he could break that by week 6-7.

ben is gonna blow bradshaw away imo, even if he gets 2-3 rings total it doesnt matter

Black@Gold Forever32
06-18-2012, 11:44 PM
ward broke the records on longevity, ben is gonna shatter the records on dominance. realistically he could break that by week 6-7.

ben is gonna blow bradshaw away imo, even if he gets 2-3 rings total it doesnt matter

Blow Bradshaw away and then some if Ben stays healthy.........I really hope Haley takes Ben to new heights this season......All this talk of running more is ticking me off......lol I don't think Haley is that stupid but Art II needs to shut the hell up and leave the football to the coaches......

Black@Gold Forever32
06-18-2012, 11:45 PM
4500 yards and 35 TDs for Ben this year?

Mean Linebacker
06-18-2012, 11:55 PM
Wasn't it you BG32 that called 4K and 30 TD's last year? If you're up for 4500 and 35 TD's I'll go along with that..lol. I'll probably say closer to 4K again though, maybe 4100 but 30+ TD's should be a no brainer.

Black@Gold Forever32
06-19-2012, 12:00 AM
Wasn't it you BG32 that called 4K and 30 TD's last year? If you're up for 4500 and 35 TD's I'll go along with that..lol. I'll probably say closer to 4K again though, maybe 4100 but 30+ TD's should be a no brainer.

yea that was me.......Ben's injuries and BA being a dolt were huge in Ben failing to reach those numbers...But I called Ben throwing for 30+ TDs in 2007....lol Ben threw 32 that year....lol

K Train
06-19-2012, 12:51 AM
i think 4000 and 28-30 is reasonable expectations