PDA

View Full Version : Three Biggest Reasons Why The Steelers Pass Defense Will Improve In 2012 And Beyond

ChucktownSteeler
06-18-2012, 07:51 AM
Probably the two biggest areas Pittsburgh’s Defense struggled with the most over the last decade have been: Defending in the short and intermediate passing game when spread out against a well-rounded Receiving Corps, and defending against Backs and Ends through the air as well. New England and Tom Brady picked them apart in essentially every matchup, Rich Gannon destroyed them back on in 2002 and almost set all sorts of N.F.L. passing records, Drew Brees had his way with the Defense in 2010, Dick LeBeau’s schemes and numerous mental mistakes cost the Steelers against Tim Tebow of all people, and Aaron Rodgers would have had an even more incredible day in Super Bowl XLV had his Receivers held on to some extremely catchable balls.

Thankfully, it has seemed like Dick LeBeau, the rest of the Defensive Staff, and the Front Office have decided to do something about the Steelers’ Defensive struggles during the last couple of seasons. With the Steelers’ evident Defensive weaknesses on tape, and the League moving more towards a pass-first game,

improvements have been made to the roster, and it appears that the wheels have been set in motion to bolster and fix Pittsburgh’s Pass Defense for years to come. Thus, today I would like to list what I believe are the Top Three Reasons that the Steelers will be an improved Defense against the pass and explain why I feel this way.

Read full article (http://nicepickcowher.com/2012/06/16/three-biggest-reasons-why-the-steelers-pass-defense-will-be-improved/)

BlitzburghRockCity
06-18-2012, 10:16 AM
It's still funny to think that the Steelers had the #1 pass defense last year but got torched in the playoffs, and got torched at various times throughout the year. The youth at cornerback and middle linebacker should go a long way towards rectifying the inconsistencies especially in the short to intermediate game.

No matter who starts or finishes opposite Timmons there's clearly going to be a significant speed upgrade in the middle. I don't usually get overly excited about 3rd round picks but Spence looks, early on at least, to be a show stopper once he learns the defense.

Having 3 solid options opposite Ike Taylor is going to make things even better too. No matter who wins the starting job there are 2 other capable bodies behind them ready to step in if need be.

ChucktownSteeler
06-18-2012, 01:11 PM
It's still funny to think that the Steelers had the #1 pass defense last year but got torched in the playoffs, and got torched at various times throughout the year. The youth at cornerback and middle linebacker should go a long way towards rectifying the inconsistencies especially in the short to intermediate game.

No matter who starts or finishes opposite Timmons there's clearly going to be a significant speed upgrade in the middle. I don't usually get overly excited about 3rd round picks but Spence looks, early on at least, to be a show stopper once he learns the defense.

Having 3 solid options opposite Ike Taylor is going to make things even better too. No matter who wins the starting job there are 2 other capable bodies behind them ready to step in if need be.

It may be a bit late, but I still contend the defense's stats were helped trendously by the group of subpar and rookie QBs they faced last season. Other than Brady and perhaps Flacco, this group played a bunch of hapless rag-tag QBs as I have ever seen. I suppose you could make an argument for Red-Ryder in Cinci, but he was a rookie as well.

At one time I had the list and it was staggering.

C-town

Real Deal Steel
06-18-2012, 01:48 PM
Our pass defense will improve.

Better indivdual talent will be there and the adding of Spence (linebacker) to help cover the Gronkowski's of the league can only make us better.

ChucktownSteeler
06-18-2012, 06:53 PM
Our pass defense will improve.

Better indivdual talent will be there and the adding of Spence (linebacker) to help cover the Gronkowski's of the league can only make us better.

Yes, I agree. We won't face the low level of QBs we did last year anytime soon.

C-town

thomas44
06-18-2012, 08:34 PM

C-town
Guess it's time to show what they got!!

ChucktownSteeler
06-18-2012, 10:18 PM
Guess it's time to show what they got!!

You got that right!

CowherPower
06-18-2012, 10:54 PM
Playing young and or inexperienced QB's usually helps your stats, there is no doubt about it. A great season by Ike Taylor, Polamalu, and Clark all went a long way though regardless of who they faced at QB. Gay had a decent season but Keenan Lewis coming in to help and Cortez Allen getting good reps at the dime position; all 3 made up one good cornerback.

Root4Stlrs
06-18-2012, 11:41 PM

C-town

They do have Mark Sanchez this year unless, of course, Tebow is playing by then. LOL They were just outcoached in the Denver game IMO, but the season was really over when Ben got hurt in Cleveland game.

Steelersfan
06-18-2012, 11:52 PM
It may be a bit late, but I still contend the defense's stats were helped trendously by the group of subpar and rookie QBs they faced last season. Other than Brady and perhaps Flacco, this group played a bunch of hapless rag-tag QBs as I have ever seen. I suppose you could make an argument for Red-Ryder in Cinci, but he was a rookie as well.

At one time I had the list and it was staggering.

C-town

Besides getting burnt a few times in the Denver game the secondary actually played pretty well all year. Getting a good pass rush will really help the young guys come along though.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Root4Stlrs
06-18-2012, 11:56 PM
Besides getting burnt a few times in the Denver game the secondary actually played pretty well all year. Getting a good pass rush will really help the young guys come along though.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

They played their best against the best QB they played. It was the best I've ever seen a Pittsburgh defense play against Tom Brady.

ChucktownSteeler
06-19-2012, 07:13 AM
They do have Mark Sanchez this year unless, of course, Tebow is playing by then. LOL They were just outcoached in the Denver game IMO, but the season was really over when Ben got hurt in Cleveland game.

That's true, the Cleveland games were very costly last year. Injuries included Ben, Mendy, and Pouncey.

C-town

Real Deal Steel
06-19-2012, 10:49 AM
That game when Ben got hurt killed all our chances. It was just too much to overcome.

When I hear posters bang on our pass defense on the idea that we played sub par QB's all year, I think that's crap.If our pass defense was really as bogus as some are saying, they couldn't have played as well as they did against Brady.

TarlsQtr
06-19-2012, 12:00 PM
A couple of points.

First, our expectations are kind of high. We remember the Steelers D of the 70's, 90's, and early 2000's with a kind of reverence for the way they dominated the passing game. However, the NFL has changed over the last decade or so as pass happy offenses dominate. Holding an opposing QB to 200 yards is a much greater feat than it was a decade ago. A 300 yard passing game is no longer being "torched."

Second, sacks were down considerably last year (35?). LeBeau's pass defense is predicated on getting pressure to the QB. That they ended up number 1 is downright miraculous.

Finally, I am not buying the "we played crappy QBs last year" argument. A bunch of other teams also played the Jags, Colts, etc., and did not end up number 1. Also, a 12-4 team plays with the lead a lot. That means a lot of passing from opponents. Finally, that most teams didn't even bother to run on us. Again, more passing.

Are there better SECONDARIES in the NFL? Absolutely, but pass defense is not all DBs and we belonged near the top because our D does play the pass well as a unit.

ChucktownSteeler
06-19-2012, 01:21 PM
A couple of points.

First, our expectations are kind of high. We remember the Steelers D of the 70's, 90's, and early 2000's with a kind of reverence for the way they dominated the passing game. However, the NFL has changed over the last decade or so as pass happy offenses dominate. Holding an opposing QB to 200 yards is a much greater feat than it was a decade ago. A 300 yard passing game is no longer being "torched."

Second, sacks were down considerably last year (35?). LeBeau's pass defense is predicated on getting pressure to the QB. That they ended up number 1 is downright miraculous.

Finally, I am not buying the "we played crappy QBs last year" argument. A bunch of other teams also played the Jags, Colts, etc., and did not end up number 1. Also, a 12-4 team plays with the lead a lot. That means a lot of passing from opponents. Finally, that most teams didn't even bother to run on us. Again, more passing.

Are there better SECONDARIES in the NFL? Absolutely, but pass defense is not all DBs and we belonged near the top because our D does play the pass well as a unit.

I don't have time now, but if you go back and look at the collection of hap-less QBS as a group we faced, no other team comes close. Yes, other teams played the Jags, but how many played the complete collection (holistic) from the Jags, Seahawks, Browns (2), Bengals (2), Colts (Painter), etc. The group was weak.

C-town

coldrolled
06-19-2012, 02:23 PM
If Haley can get our offense to play lights out and score like the top teams score. All these small details of defense and offense will be long forgotten.

TarlsQtr
06-20-2012, 10:11 AM
I don't have time now, but if you go back and look at the collection of hap-less QBS as a group we faced, no other team comes close. Yes, other teams played the Jags, but how many played the complete collection (holistic) from the Jags, Seahawks, Browns (2), Bengals (2), Colts (Painter), etc. The group was weak.

C-town

Good morning, C-Town.

Believe me when I say that I am not claiming the QBs the Steelers faced were all the second coming of Unitas.

However, it was not as bad as you are making it out to be. For instance, you included Andy Dalton (twice) on the list. He played on a playoff team and was in the middle of the NFL pack in passing yards (something like 3400 yards). For comparisons sake, Ben threw for 2600 yards his rookie season in 14 games. Dalton scores out to an average NFL QB, hardly a symbol of ineptitude.

And, yes, the numbers would have been different if we had played Brady twice, Brees, E. Manning, and Rodgers but the same can be said about any D. It is not like we were an AFC south team that got to play against TJ Yates, Gabbert, and Painter twice each.

K Train
06-20-2012, 10:24 AM

C-town
the ravens played literally all those team

CowherPower
06-20-2012, 01:36 PM
The Steelers have always played down to their competition, they probably always will. I hate that about them but it's what happens every year. For guys like Dalton, I'm not convinced he's the second coming of anyone. He's going to be a solid QB but he's never going to be a Tom Brady, Eli Manning, Peyton, or Roethlisberger. As for Weedon, we have no idea what to expect but the guy is old enough to be more mature in the pocket, you would think even for a rookie.

Some credit has to go to the QB's themselves when they face the Steelers, sometimes they just make good plays. How much of that is them though and how much is the defense just not always on their game against what is perceived as lesser competition?

steelersbabex25
06-20-2012, 03:06 PM
Oy vay.

I think the secondary is one of those units that people love to hate because they're not perfect and will never be perfect. I think a position in the secondary is the hardest position to play in football...granted I have never played football, but it's just my opinion. If you're waiting for the secondary to hold opposing offenses to under 200 yards passing every game, you're not gonna have a good time.

TarlsQtr
06-20-2012, 05:16 PM
Oy vay.

I think the secondary is one of those units that people love to hate because they're not perfect and will never be perfect. I think a position in the secondary is the hardest position to play in football...granted I have never played football, but it's just my opinion. If you're waiting for the secondary to hold opposing offenses to under 200 yards passing every game, you're not gonna have a good time.

Amen. NFL offenses are more complex and lethal than ever before. Some teams (e.g. Patriots, Packers) have 5 quality receivers to run out there every play. Not to mention that many of these have the match-up versatility to be a tight end. People are pining for the days when a great pass defense would hold QBs to 120-150 ypg. That is unreasonable in today's NFL where a 400 yard passing game is the 300 yard game of 10-20 years ago.

Today, your 6th DB is almost as important as your #1 and 6 good DBs is much better than having a couple "lockdown corners" and some scrubs (the formula 20 years ago).

coldrolled
06-20-2012, 05:58 PM
Im waiting for our new lethal offense to rise to the top this year. We have the players to do this.
We now have an OC with an imagination.

ChucktownSteeler
06-20-2012, 07:51 PM
If I get the time I will post the list of QBs faced last season. Let's not forget Painter, Gabbert, Tavarus Jackson, etc. Man, we played against a motley crew of QBs.

C-town

Ultrameyda
06-20-2012, 11:49 PM
Three reasons pass defense will improve:

1. Gay is gone
2. Gay is gone
3. Gay is gone

K Train
06-20-2012, 11:54 PM
gay had a really good year last season

Black@Gold Forever32
06-21-2012, 12:02 AM
gay had a really good year last season

I never really understood the hate for Willie Gay.....lol He was a fifth round pick......But some of our fans expected him to be Deion Sanders...lol

NorCalSteel
06-21-2012, 07:16 AM
I actually have to agree here I thought Gay played very solid last year.

coldrolled
06-21-2012, 08:11 AM
DL and OL will make it all better..

ChucktownSteeler
06-21-2012, 10:29 AM
If I get the time I will post the list of QBs faced last season. Let's not forget Painter, Gabbert, Tavarus Jackson, etc. Man, we played against a motley crew of QBs.

C-town

Not to mention Tyler Palko and Seneca Wallace.

K Train
06-21-2012, 10:37 AM
Gay won some games for us last year and he was always an excellent NB when they didnt make him cover TO or gronk...he actually played well on the outside last year and not just in the slot

steelersbabex25
06-21-2012, 10:56 AM
Gay, like the secondary, is just another player/unit that people love to hate. He had one bad year so everyone still thinks he's awful. Smh. I actually wouldn't have minded him sticking around for another year or two.

K Train
06-21-2012, 10:59 AM
Gay, like the secondary, is just another player/unit that people love to hate. He had one bad year so everyone still thinks he's awful. Smh. I actually wouldn't have minded him sticking around for another year or two.
i wouldnt have minded, but im excited for the youth movement...in particular curtis brown

steelersbabex25
06-21-2012, 12:45 PM
i wouldnt have minded, but im excited for the youth movement...in particular curtis brown

Very true. It's not a huge deal to me that he's gone but I'm not jumping for joy like I would be if this happened a few seasons ago.

NorCalSteel
06-21-2012, 05:07 PM
C brown made some awesome plays on special teams. I think he was going to get a little more playing time before he got hurt. I am excited about both our drafted rookie CB's who made the team last year.. Wouldn't it be nice not to cringe every time the ball goes up on a deep pass against our D..lol

K Train
06-21-2012, 05:14 PM
curtis brown and cortez allen draft class>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Keenan lewis and joe burnett

Really excited for both, Brown as the NB, and Allen as either the RCB or FS...whichever

ChucktownSteeler
06-21-2012, 06:14 PM
Gay won us the Browns game but more importantly lost us the 2nd Ravens game which sealed our fate, to all intents and purposes. 4th and 8, last play of the game a TD to win (FG does no good) how in the world do you let the receiver get open behind you in the endzone?

C-town

Nolrog
06-21-2012, 09:03 PM
Three Biggest Reasons Why The Steelers Pass Defense Will Improve In 2012 And Beyond

1) They'll put more pressure on the QB
2) They'll put more pressure on the QB
3) They'll put more pressure on the QB

Ultrameyda
06-21-2012, 11:45 PM
My hatred for Willie Gay is well earned over many years. His cushion was so big, 3 Hamptons could have sat on it.
Jordy Freaking Nelson.

Root4Stlrs
06-22-2012, 07:22 AM
Gay won us the Browns game but more importantly lost us the 2nd Ravens game which sealed our fate, to all intents and purposes. 4th and 8, last play of the game a TD to win (FG does no good) how in the world do you let the receiver get open behind you in the endzone?

C-town

Safety help was late getting there, too.

steelersbabex25
06-22-2012, 01:13 PM

C-town

Yeah, who was it that he was covering? Tory Smith? Boldin? Can't remember but the scheme was ridiculous that play. You don't leave a DB like gay with one and one coverage with whatever receiver he was covering on that play. Stupid. LeBeau made quite a few mistakes last season too.

ChucktownSteeler
06-23-2012, 08:33 AM
Yeah, who was it that he was covering? Tory Smith? Boldin? Can't remember but the scheme was ridiculous that play. You don't leave a DB like gay with one and one coverage with whatever receiver he was covering on that play. Stupid. LeBeau made quite a few mistakes last season too.

Yes, you are correct. All we had to do was keep everyone out of the end-zone. It was fourth down and about 8 seconds left. A FG did no good. How do you let Tory Smith get behind you in the end-zone? Gay is and was an average nickel back at best.

steelersbabex25
06-23-2012, 10:36 AM
Yes, you are correct. All we had to do was keep everyone out of the end-zone. It was fourth down and about 8 seconds left. A FG did no good. How do you let Tory Smith get behind you in the end-zone? Gay is and was an average nickel back at best.

The better question is how do you put Gay on one on one coverage with Tory Smith?

ChucktownSteeler
06-23-2012, 02:03 PM
The better question is how do you put Gay on one on one coverage with Tory Smith?

I am not arguing that point either. Why were we in man coverage and not zone, keep everyone in front of you and tackle them as soon as they catch the damn ball. Game over, we would have won the North and had a bye week. You would have to ask Dick LeBeau.

My original point was there is plenty of room for improvement in many areas of this team, not just replacing BA.

C-town

BlitzburghRockCity
06-23-2012, 02:55 PM
That play will haunt us for years because the game was in hand, things were rolling like we hoped they would. That whole defense in that game and in the Denver game in overtime was enough to make me jump out of a window.

Putting Gay one on one against anyone gave me a heart attack but you can only cover up player deficiencies so much, sooner or later they need to step up...unfortunately the not stepping up happened too often at the worst times.

steelersbabex25
06-23-2012, 10:43 PM
That play will haunt us for years because the game was in hand, things were rolling like we hoped they would. That whole defense in that game and in the Denver game in overtime was enough to make me jump out of a window.

Putting Gay one on one against anyone gave me a heart attack but you can only cover up player deficiencies so much, sooner or later they need to step up...unfortunately the not stepping up happened too often at the worst times.

It's sad. You never want to say a guy like LeBeau is losing his touch but he put together a few schemes this past season that were questionable at best.

NorCalSteel
06-24-2012, 06:03 AM
lol on the play against Denver Gay was on the other side of the field...after I heard the Safties were up I kept thinking they torched us for 200 yards in the 2nd Qtr why the hell would the Safties be up..lol

connecticutsteel
06-24-2012, 10:52 AM
I didn't help that Smith shoved him backwards 5yd then jumped up and scored

TarlsQtr
06-24-2012, 11:06 AM
The guy produced the number one defense AGAIN last year. Even the best coordinators throw a clunker on occasion and many of these times it is a case of someone missing an assignment, not a bad scheme. Not sure how we can talk about a guy "losing his touch" in this instance.

To everyone that thinks he lost his touch. Who in the league would you prefer to have? Specific names please. It is easy for us to complain, but worthless if we do not have a better replacement. Personally, I cannot think of anyone in the league (or college ranks) I would prefer to have as the DC.