PDA

View Full Version : Concussion this, concussion that... Make it stop!

BlitzburghRockCity
06-15-2012, 12:05 AM
I get it, you get it, we all get it, the NFL is trying to do more to bring awareness to concussions... Just stop harping on it 24/7 already please! Call me crazy if you want. Say I'm not sympathetic to injuries, or whatever but jeebus just give us football!

You can't turn on NFL network, ESPN, sports radio, or go online without somebody talking about it. Just talk football for more than 5 minutes straight please.

It's a violent game, always has been. I get that they want to educate players and that's fine but for God sakes it doesn't have to make the news every damn day all day!

Rant off now... Thank you.. LOL
- From BRC's Droid Bionic of Coolness

steelersgal86
06-15-2012, 06:16 AM
not only the NFL now, I hear it on the news all day now about midget football and high school football , they are going to start limiting stuff in practice because of all the concussions in the NFL...enough is enough...they know the risk and that is why they get paid what they do

Nolrog
06-15-2012, 06:43 AM
Once Rube Goodell gets done with it, you won't be able to even touch another player. Heck, he's already put in a 5 yard "no fly zone" around Brady. Personal foul, unnecessary getting too close to Brady. 15 yard penalty, automatic first down.

gtadroptop
06-15-2012, 07:41 AM
Good think Farve finally (maybe) retired. This would have cut into his press time. T.O. is pissed, though. :lol:

scudmissile29
06-15-2012, 09:03 AM
Goodell has pussified the world.

If only it was medieval times where there was the stretching rack.

How long can that faggot be commissioner for?

steelersbabex25
06-15-2012, 10:06 AM
:lol: The title of my research paper is "Has the Growing Emphasis on Player Safety Tainted Professional Sports?"

SteelCityKid5
06-15-2012, 01:17 PM
I find it ironic that some Pittsburghers say Goodell is "pussifiying" or ruining the NFL yet take Crosby's concussions very seriously. Not saying anyone on here. Just a thought.

steelersbabex25
06-15-2012, 05:33 PM
Yeah..Crosby never had a concussion..

BlitzburghRockCity
06-16-2012, 12:15 AM
:lol: The title of my research paper is "Has the Growing Emphasis on Player Safety Tainted Professional Sports?"

Uh yeah, should we follow that title up with a first word of "duh" :lol:

ChucktownSteeler
06-16-2012, 06:54 AM
It's the "PC" topic of the day right now.

LarryNJ
06-16-2012, 08:03 AM
The subject isn't going away anytime soon. I think it's only just begun. There's no doubt that all the press will keep many mom's and dad's from letting their kids play football.

You can read how some ex players who were at John Stallwoth's golf outing feel about it.

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2012/06/ex-players_concerned_about_con.html

My thoughts on this quote:

"The main issue is whether or not the NFL had information that would have been beneficial to the players and kept that information from them," former Auburn running back Joe Cribbs said after the Stallworth tournament. "If that's the case, and that's proven to be the case, that's an injustice."

Injustice means give me lots of money.

Though he is a judge in Pittsburgh and one of a rare handful of ex-players with a law degree, Woodruff looks at things a little more pragmatically and a little less legalistically.

"As far as I know, there's not a whole lot you can do about it," he said. "You've got to live your life and hopefully you have enough family support around you so you can live out those golden years in a relatively good and peaceful way. If it's coming, it's coming. You just pray a little bit more and hopefully you can get through it so you can peacefully live out the life you want to."

I never knew he was a judge.

BlacknGoldHaze
06-16-2012, 09:09 AM
The subject isn't going away anytime soon. I think it's only just begun. There's no doubt that all the press will keep many mom's and dad's from letting their kids play football.

I wonder what football will be like in twenty years...if it even exists. More and more parents are discouraging their sons from playing football...

gtadroptop
06-16-2012, 09:41 AM
The son of a co-worker just finished 9th grade. He's on a fast track to being a local football star. His mother and I have had many conversations about that. Right now, her main worry is another player taking out his knees. She and her husband aren't worried about concussions, at least not yet. He plays corner and wide receiver, so he has and will continue to experience high speed hits. Those hits will get faster and harder as he goes from JV to Varsity to college and maybe pro.

thomas44
06-18-2012, 07:15 PM
How they have nearly taken one the most exciting plays in all sports (the kickoff) out of the game completely, is a tragedy...

Mean Linebacker
06-18-2012, 10:58 PM
All the NFL is ultimately worried about is the future of the game and what the soccer parents think. Right now their kids play baseball, soccer, or basketball so nobody is worried about concussions. If this type of thing keeps getting the press that it has been recently you're eventually going to see a decline in the quality of football prospects coming into the NFL.

It's a tragedy that the game we all love is turning into this political battle between the league and the players. You can cry player safety all you want but in the end if you're going to play football you know the risks. There is no excuse for ignorance of the potential risks so anybody that says they don't know is an idiot.

Root4Stlrs
06-18-2012, 11:13 PM
All the NFL is ultimately worried about is the future of the game and what the soccer parents think. Right now their kids play baseball, soccer, or basketball so nobody is worried about concussions. If this type of thing keeps getting the press that it has been recently you're eventually going to see a decline in the quality of football prospects coming into the NFL.

It's a tragedy that the game we all love is turning into this political battle between the league and the players. You can cry player safety all you want but in the end if you're going to play football you know the risks. There is no excuse for ignorance of the potential risks so anybody that says they don't know is an idiot.

Soccer is getting more and more press about the dangers it poses. When you actually use your head to score a goal or to move the ball around, you know it has to be dangerous. And there's no helmet to protect you. I believe that there will be improvements in technology that decrease some of the dangers of concussions in football. I've heard about using Kevlar technology to absorb the energy from the hit and that prevents the brain from bouncing around in the skull.

LarryNJ
06-19-2012, 10:05 AM
Soccer is getting more and more press about the dangers it poses. When you actually use your head to score a goal or to move the ball around, you know it has to be dangerous. And there's no helmet to protect you.

I watched a Euro 2012 game last week. I was amazed at the amount of players flopping around like a fish out of water on the ground. It seemed like one every few minutes.

If you watch Rugby they wear no or very few pads, only a couple wear helmets and they look like leather ones from the 30's or something like a wrestling helmet. They don't hit with their heads, they tackle with their arms and shoulder. I'm not sure if they have head injury problems or not.

JensK
06-19-2012, 10:42 AM
I watched a Euro 2012 game last week. I was amazed at the amount of players flopping around like a fish out of water on the ground. It seemed like one every few minutes.

If you watch Rugby they wear no or very few pads, only a couple wear helmets and they look like leather ones from the 30's or something like a wrestling helmet. They don't hit with their heads, they tackle with their arms and shoulder. I'm not sure if they have head injury problems or not.

Its not really comparable though. It is two different sport cultures. Even though I'm from Denmark I'm not a huge soccer fan, so I will not defend it at all, but I will say that it is a rising trend that the players fall down for nothing. It is immensely annoying to watch, but it really has nothing to do with the players security. You very rarely see anything life-threatening in soccer. Sometimes a guy swallows his own tongue, or a guy gets hit by lightning but those a freak accidents. There have not really been any talk about concussions worth mentioning.

ChucktownSteeler
06-19-2012, 12:22 PM
Put them back in leather helmets and no face guards.

C-town

LarryNJ
06-19-2012, 03:28 PM
but I will say that it is a rising trend that the players fall down for nothing. It is immensely annoying to watch, but it really has nothing to do with the players security.

That was the first game I actually watched in years, Poland vs Russia. It was actually fun other than the players falling down for nothing.

Root4Stlrs
06-19-2012, 09:12 PM
Its not really comparable though. It is two different sport cultures. Even though I'm from Denmark I'm not a huge soccer fan, so I will not defend it at all, but I will say that it is a rising trend that the players fall down for nothing. It is immensely annoying to watch, but it really has nothing to do with the players security. You very rarely see anything life-threatening in soccer. Sometimes a guy swallows his own tongue, or a guy gets hit by lightning but those a freak accidents. There have not really been any talk about concussions worth mentioning.

There has been quite a bit of talk about it in the United States. You might be interested to read the following:

‘Concussion Crisis’ impacting girls’ soccer

The number of girls suffering concussions in soccer accounts for the second largest amount of all concussions reported by young athletes, according to the American Journal of Sports Medicine. (Football tops the list.)
http://rockcenter.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/05/09/11604307-concussion-crisis-growing-in-girls-soccer?lite

Concussions are more common in young girls than boys and heading the ball is the number one cause. I didn't realize it was such a big issue or that there was such a gender difference until I saw a TV news show where they interviewed several young girls who suffered from debilitating and constant headaches to the point where they were unable to leave their houses. The flopping in soccer really is unrelated to the issue of concussions.

JensK
06-20-2012, 04:35 AM
Thats interesting. I don't have time to read it right now (examns in a couple of hours :( ), but I certainly will later. It just sound absurd to me that you can get a concussion from that, although I must say that I am not too familiar with the anatomy of young women and whether or not they are more prone to concussions. Womens football is not really that big in Europe.. I guess you can compare it with that ladies counterpart to baseball - everyone knows its there, only no one really cares about it :lol: (in before its become a huge thing in the states :D )

steelersbabex25
06-20-2012, 02:10 PM
I just wrote a paper on all the new rules and everything in the NFL, talked a little bit about the NHL too. I'm going to wait to get it back so my professor doesn't happen to see it and think I stole it :lol:, but if anyone wants to take a look, I'd be happy to send it to you. It's pretty lengthy but I'm awesome at writing research papers, if I do say so myself :D

BlitzburghRockCity
06-20-2012, 09:14 PM
I'd be interested in seeing it, can you email it to me? Also if you like we can feature it on the homepage as a research article. Let me know your thoughts. You'd of course get full credit.

steelersbabex25
06-20-2012, 09:55 PM
I'd be interested in seeing it, can you email it to me? Also if you like we can feature it on the homepage as a research article. Let me know your thoughts. You'd of course get full credit.

Sure I can. I have no issues with it being on the homepage, it's up to you to decide if its good enough or not :lol:

BlitzburghRockCity
06-21-2012, 01:05 AM
shoot me a PM and I"ll give you my email address if you don't have it already. If it's a research paper for college then it's probably way above anything I can write anyways..LOL I'm sure it's great!

TarlsQtr
06-21-2012, 01:31 PM

C-town

And it would actually be safer.

I love Harrison and Troy and am not saying this to criticize them but they almost exclusively lead with their heads. They do it soley because they feel safe with a helmet on. I can almost guarantee that if they were wearing the leather helmet my grandfather left me, they would tackle in the manner I learned in Pop Warner 30 years ago. Head up, lead with the shoulder, and wrap.

thomas44
06-26-2012, 10:42 PM

C-town
Yeah Paterno said this last year. Helmets and I think more so the big face masks the players are sporting are promoting players leading with their heads. I think the fans these days are used to the big hits. Players are so much bigger and stronger, those brains are pretty much in several car wrecks a game. No helmet is going to keep the brain from moving. Players know the risks...