PDA

View Full Version : Hampton says he wants to play a few more years

BlitzburghRockCity
06-14-2012, 09:24 AM
"Iím planning on coming back for the season," Hampton said Wednesday. "Thatís what Iím looking at. Thatís realistic for me. I donít know about anybody else.

When asked about the possibility of being placed on the PUP list: "Nah, I canít see that happening," he said. "I feel like Iím ready to go." - ESPN

@DVEMike: Casey Hampton on departed teammates Farrior, Smith, Hoke: "The difference between me and them, if I ain't here I'm gonna be somewhere else." "I'm not gonna retire. I want to play a few more years. Hopefully it's here but with those young guys coming you never know." "shooting for the beginning of the season" for his return. "I'm never ready to play in July, anyway. I'm always ready in September."

Hampton's deal is up after this year so he'd have to sign a new contract or have the team get him an extension if he wants to stick around.

Lots of things can still happen but for the time being it looks like this will be his last year with the team.

KemoTherapy
06-14-2012, 12:34 PM
I dunno. I think he doesn't have a lot of tread left on the tires based on his play last year. He may "want" to play a few years more but if the team moves on will someone take a chance on him?. Probalbly so.

FeelSteel
06-14-2012, 12:45 PM
I think it would be great if he can start the season. I do however feel we should platoon at NT providing McClendon and Ta'Amu can be productive. A fresh healthy Hampton would be great for the playoffs.

K Train
06-14-2012, 02:26 PM
its gonna be for someone else, a beefed up mcclendon and taamu could make it a crowded position, keeping hampton too long is a great way NOT to develop young talent at NT

LatrobePA
06-14-2012, 03:26 PM
I got sick of watching him get rolled up like a fat kid at the bus stop. If he can play and beat out the young guys great, if not get him out of here..

yinzer
06-14-2012, 03:30 PM
Father time waits for nobody. Snack might have a couple seasons left but how effective will he be?

connecticutsteel
06-14-2012, 03:56 PM
Hampton was one of the best for many years and he is still as good as any one for 20 min a game but we won't resign him to be a part time player . In fact he may not last the season he will get hurt again.The youth movement is in full effect in Pittsburgh

K Train
06-14-2012, 04:01 PM
he, like farrior looked to be washed up a few years ago and had a heroic late career surge, he shed pounds and regained dominance...im afraid thats not going to happen twice for a 370 pound NT coming off a bad knee

BlitzburghRockCity
06-14-2012, 04:50 PM
Ktrain makes a good point, the Steelers have held onto old veterans for so long and have paid the price. They are slowly but surely being phased out in these last couple of years and Hampton is probably the next one to go. I wonder though when push comes to shove if he'll really go somewhere else. Ward said the same thing..I have a few more years left, I want another championship, blah blah blah, but when push came to shove he'd rather go out a Steeler and just finish out his career with a familiar team.

connecticutsteel
06-14-2012, 10:15 PM
I think Hamp would try to make another team and would be cut in the process the only reason he is still on the roster is clearly based on past performance because Mclendon and Ta'amu are going to give him all he can handle this year .Personally i think they will put him on the pup list so he can mentor the young guys

CoachC
06-14-2012, 10:31 PM
I love Casey, but he looked real rough at times last season... If he can pull it together and use the youth of the draft to motivate him, then I'm all in... I would love to see him and Ta'amu make a beast of a combo!

cbrunn
06-14-2012, 11:54 PM
Yeah Casey thanks for being an anchor for us.... you had your run , but umm i think it's time ... you made your money... don't want you back after this year no matter how cheap you'll cost ...

connecticutsteel
06-15-2012, 01:21 PM
Only the worlds largest cheeseburger could motivate Hampton this year lol

BlacknGoldHaze
06-16-2012, 09:36 AM
Thanks for the memories Big Snack but this should be your last season....

BlitzburghRockCity
06-17-2012, 10:35 AM
Given the lack of success of the majority of Steelers players that go elsewhere, Hampton knows as well as anyone that sometimes when you're close to retirement, hanging on for another season or two isn't always worth it. I'm sure he'll feel differently after this season or whenever he eventually finishes his time in Pittsburgh. If not though, I'll always wish him the best, the dude has earned our respect over the years.