PDA

View Full Version : My prediction James Harrison will lose his starting job to Worilds by week 3

connecticutsteel
06-08-2012, 12:09 AM
I say this only because he's 34 and his injuries are starting to pile up .He was pulled from OTA'S for fluid on his knees and tat's only jogging with no pads.Believe me i want Harrison to start the whole season cause he is a special player but his play style is full bore and that come with injuries at 34 .He is not done but he will miss significant time this season unfortunately IMO

ChucktownSteeler
06-08-2012, 06:07 AM
Barring injury Jimmy Hate is the starter year long.

BlitzburghRockCity
06-08-2012, 08:03 AM
That's the only way that Worilds would ever beat out Harrison for a starting job anytime soon. Up until last year, Harrison was a pretty healthy player. That orbital bone fracture was a fluke last year but really came at a good time because when he came back he was playing very well.

Fluid in the knee is not anything to worry about right now, but last year we saw Kemoeatu miss most of camp and preseason with that type of issue. Kemo has chronic knee problems though and Harrison doesn't. Silverback is no spring chicken but he's got at least 2 good years yet before they will likely really see a slow down in his performance.

CowherPower
06-08-2012, 08:31 AM
Just read this from the Post Gazette this morning, Lebeau talking about Harrison this season:

Harrison has not participated in these OTAs, but Butler said he will join the team next week for minicamp, as will Woodley, who missed practice Thursday.
Defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau said that Harrison's recovery from back surgery last year "got better and better as the year went on. He told me earlier in coaching sessions, it's the best he's felt for three years, which was good news."

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/butler-replacing-farrior-isnt-easy-639474/#ixzz1xCjTsL00

LatrobePA
06-08-2012, 08:56 AM
Worlids isn't taking anyone's job anytime soon, sorry dude!

The Lakelander
06-08-2012, 09:09 AM
Harrison and Woodley both need to play better in my opinion ... and they both need to stay healthy ... the LeBeau defense is predicated on the outside LB's getting to the QB ...

First Saturday of camp ... Latrobe PA ... backs on backers ... I feel sorry for rookie Rainey!

K Train
06-08-2012, 09:12 AM
this would absolutely not happen imo.

i think harrison has a somewhat big year to be honest, 14 sacks and half a dozen FF. worilds has done nothing but disappoint, harrison has done nothing but produce. Hes a young 34, and shoudl be ready to go by camp

Big T
06-08-2012, 10:57 AM
LOL...

Real Deal Steel
06-08-2012, 12:08 PM
Worlids isn't taking anyone's job anytime soon, sorry dude!

Your probably right but don't discount the idea of Worlids taking that next step this season. Remember, there was no camp, no OTA's last year. This year it could finally click for Worlids with a proper off-season.

Real Deal Steel
06-08-2012, 12:11 PM
But I'd definitely want to see Worilds spelling Harrison a lot to keep Harrison fresh and effective.

LatrobePA
06-08-2012, 12:13 PM
Your probably right but don't discount the idea of Worlids taking that next step this season. Remember, there was no camp, no OTA's last year. This year it could finally click for Worlids with a proper off-season.

You hope a young guy can make the jump but he's shown nothing so far..

connecticutsteel
06-08-2012, 12:47 PM
Fluid on Kemo knee is expected because he was 350 lbs of slop in a uniform but Harrison is built like a tank so it is a bigger deal than kemo's knee i hope he stays in the lineup but age trumps talent at every position Carter and Worilds are coming Worilds hasn't played enough to disappoint. 5 or 6 games isn't a big enough sample size to judge anyone plus the Steelers don't usually keep someone around that can't play unless they don't have anyone

K Train
06-08-2012, 12:51 PM
Fluid on Kemo knee is expected because he was 350 lbs of slop in a uniform but Harrison is built like a tank i hope he stays in the lineup but age trumps talent at every position Carter and Worilds are coming Worilds hasn't played enough to disappoint. 5 or 6 games isn't a big enough sample size to judge anyone plus the Steelers don't usually keep someone around that can't play unless they don't have anyone
worilds is exactly what he was in college, a fast edge rusher with a good bend around the corner BUT he never closes, he whiffs himself out of the play. Good pressure guy, but not a good sack artist. Hes way faster than harrison and woodley, he just lacks the ability to bull rush and hes always lacked the ability to close.

Harrison, Timmons, Foote/Spence/Sly, Woodley is tremendous

Worilds, Timmons, Foote/Spence/Sly, Woodley is average at best

i fully expect a good year out of harrison, then i fully expect a OLB in the first 2 rounds next year

steelersbabex25
06-08-2012, 12:51 PM
Yeah this could definitely happen.....

If James Harrison dies. :knockonwood:

KemoTherapy
06-08-2012, 01:41 PM
Not a tantalizing prospect most would agree. How silverback will fare this year is one of the more important questions around the team. Sooner or later father time kicks your balls off.

The Lakelander
06-08-2012, 01:52 PM
If last year is any indication, it takes a team! ...

Worilds is a veteran player now. We are very fortunate to have dapth behind both Harrison and Woodley ...

I think our LB corps is going to be extremely good this year ...

tburg68
06-08-2012, 04:33 PM
Worilds is a career backup.

steelchamp204
06-08-2012, 04:37 PM
Jw better step up then

Real Deal Steel
06-08-2012, 06:15 PM
Worilds is a career backup.

Wow. Such harse words for a guy who really hasn't had a chance. A lot of the things you saw last year can't be judged because of the lack of OTA's and camp.

With that said, we won't have long to wait to see how Woirlds has progressed. If he does well, the coaching staff will give him significant playing time by the time the pre-season rolls around.

connecticutsteel
06-08-2012, 10:27 PM
WORILDS could lead the league in sacks and tackles and Steeler nation would still say he sucks

BlacknGoldHaze
06-08-2012, 10:37 PM
Silverback has a lot left in the tank..........he'll be just fine.

SnakeEyes43
06-08-2012, 10:44 PM
Silverback has a lot left in the tank..........he'll be just fine.

Pretty much what I was thinking. Harrison hasn't really shown any decline and continues to be one of our D's most intimidating on and off the field. He had that back injury which slowed him down a little (he was still better than 1/3 of the OLB in the league) and the orbital bone fracture was a freak injury. He'll be fine and will continue to dominate next year.

BlacknGold Bleeder
06-08-2012, 10:48 PM
WORILDS could lead the league in sacks and tackles and Steeler nation would still say he sucks

Where is this coming from?? As far as I know nobody is hating on Worilds yet... People may be a little impatient as far as his production or not reaching potential so far but that's about it. This is his time to step up and show he is progressing. As far as replacing Silverback by week 3 ,only by injury. To even say he will do it by out playing him is kinda ridiculous because he has not shown that he is capable of out playing a healthy Harrison yet!!

BlitzburghRockCity
06-09-2012, 04:02 PM
Worilds is in his 3rd year now, it's time to see him start making an impact. He got little playing time in his rookie year but showed flashes. Last year was just bad, between the injuries and sub par play he just wasn't up to the task. He's going to see more playing time this year, even in a backup role. They need him to start coming into his own.

NorCalSteel
06-09-2012, 04:18 PM
Worilds played very well last year and kept getting better. He could start just not on the Steelers. Harrison wont play for ever so we better get somebody ready.

Nolrog
06-09-2012, 04:39 PM
I don't see Worlids taking Harrison's starting job. Worlids will be gone from this roster long before James.

K Train
06-09-2012, 06:03 PM
Worilds played very well last year and kept getting better. He could start just not on the Steelers. Harrison wont play for ever so we better get somebody ready.
what jason worilds were you watching? lol

NorCalSteel
06-09-2012, 06:35 PM
The one that filled in for our missing pro bowl outside linebacker's last year on the #1 D in the league.. that one. You know a football game is more than flashy commercials and a half time show you should actually watch one sometime and see if you can learn a little about football.

K Train
06-09-2012, 10:35 PM
The one that filled in for our missing pro bowl outside linebacker's last year on the #1 D in the league.. that one. You know a football game is more than flashy commercials and a half time show you should actually watch one sometime and see if you can learn a little about football.
some newer posters geting a little testy, love the hostility...it makes me feel happy

we had the number 1 run d with hood filling in for smith 2 years ago, hood still played pretty terrible as an individual.

i watch worilds a lot, hes a clark haggans clone...not really a compliment or an insult, but definitely replaceable and certainly doesnt play "very well". hes always going to be the guy that can almost get there but not quite. but hey at least hes managed to be better than bruce davis

BlitzburghRockCity
06-10-2012, 12:21 AM
Better than Bruce Davis, might as well just cut him :lol:

Worilds has the power and build to be a good pass rusher but last year when he was healthy he had issues chasing down QB's, let alone RB's. That's something he'll have to get better at.

Speeed
06-10-2012, 12:31 AM
Ouch!

BlacknGoldHaze
06-10-2012, 02:13 AM

:scratch: Really??

NorCalSteel
06-10-2012, 04:24 AM
just what Tomlin and LeBeau have said in press conferences but what do they know?

NorCalSteel
06-10-2012, 04:25 AM
some newer posters geting a little testy, love the hostility...it makes me feel happy

we had the number 1 run d with hood filling in for smith 2 years ago, hood still played pretty terrible as an individual.

i watch worilds a lot, hes a clark haggans clone...not really a compliment or an insult, but definitely replaceable and certainly doesnt play "very well". hes always going to be the guy that can almost get there but not quite. but hey at least hes managed to be better than bruce davis
been here since before the 2009 season...read much?

BubbyBlister
06-10-2012, 05:28 AM
Stupid topic and post! Harrison is just relaxing enjoying the off season and you would know that if you have him on Facebook and the guy is enjoying himself. He post everyday and trust me he is not worried about the upcoming season or his own health. As for Worlds not a hater and would like to see heck lot more of him till I past judgment. Not at Harrison expense though lol and again stupid post and topic.

coldrolled
06-10-2012, 12:34 PM
These defensive topics are always stupid because the team doesnt let the young guns on the field much...

But at the end of this season, tomlin did say he played the starters to much and burned the team out to finish..

He did say he was going to change that in the future. I think he is right to do so.

Black@Gold Forever32
06-10-2012, 01:06 PM
NorCalSteel why do you always seem hell bent are starting **** in every thread you post in? Plus your act is a tired one and nobody cares if you think of yourself of a Steelers guru.....lol

As for Jason Worilds........I still don't know what to think of him since he hasn't played much in first two seasons......I'm not going to call him a bust but I'm not going to proclaim him to be starting material until I see much more of him.......Right now he seems to be more Clark Haggans then James Harrison but at the same time this year Worilds could turn into the next beast Steelers OLB.....you never know......

tburg68
06-10-2012, 02:43 PM
just what Tomlin and LeBeau have said in press conferences but what do they know?

If Tomlin and LeBeau offered you a refreshing glass of Kool Aid, would you drink it? What is the Head Coach & D Coordinator going to say about their players? They don't single out players for poor play. It's not the way they operate, but that doesn't mean that everything they say is 100% accurate.

But hey, I don't know as much about the Steelers as you, so whatever.

The Lakelander
06-10-2012, 04:16 PM
The Steelers have some really nice depth on defense this season ... I'd like to see Tomlin keep these guys fresh ... Carter and Worilds on the outside, Sylvester and Spence on the inside ... it's a very good problem to have ... This team is being built for the long haul ...

I haven't looked more forward to a season than this one in a long time ... can't wait to drive to Latrobe for the first Saturday practice ... backs on backers will be spirited as all hell this year! ...

NorCalSteel
06-10-2012, 06:30 PM
Well boys dont get butt hurt because I wont put up with your ****. I start out posting nice then somebody makes a wise *** comment. I am supposed to put up with this ****? Why because since you think you have more post you know more? Not hardly. Do I respect the word of the Steelers coach and D corridinator? Yes in case you have not noticed it Mike Tomlin does not dance aroud the topic of player performance or if somebody needs to step it up. Thats one of the things I like about him...he wont say **** about the other team and is far to humble when the steelers whip somebody but on players he comes accross very clear. If you guys dont like my attitude stop giving it to me. I will not take your **** EVER . I dont care if you are tired of my game deal with it. I do know more about the Steelers than most but can also learn so instead of being *******s about it prove a point every now and then.

NorCalSteel
06-10-2012, 06:40 PM
NorCalSteel why do you always seem hell bent are starting **** in every thread you post in? Plus your act is a tired one and nobody cares if you think of yourself of a Steelers guru.....lol

As for Jason Worilds........I still don't know what to think of him since he hasn't played much in first two seasons......I'm not going to call him a bust but I'm not going to proclaim him to be starting material until I see much more of him.......Right now he seems to be more Clark Haggans then James Harrison but at the same time this year Worilds could turn into the next beast Steelers OLB.....you never know......
so your going to call a player a bust who can not unseat a player who just won NFL defensive MVP a few years back? lol enough said thanks for playing.

Black@Gold Forever32
06-10-2012, 06:47 PM
so your going to call a player a bust who can not unseat a player who just won NFL defensive MVP a few years back? lol enough said thanks for playing.

Can you read? I said I'm not going to call him a bust but I'm also not going to proclaim him to be starting material......Like I said I still don't know what to think of him since he hasn't played much in his first two years......

I swear you just keep on proving to be a bigger tool...lol please go play in traffic....thank you

Black@Gold Forever32
06-10-2012, 06:49 PM
Well boys dont get butt hurt because I wont put up with your ****. I start out posting nice then somebody makes a wise *** comment. I am supposed to put up with this ****? Why because since you think you have more post you know more? Not hardly. Do I respect the word of the Steelers coach and D corridinator? Yes in case you have not noticed it Mike Tomlin does not dance aroud the topic of player performance or if somebody needs to step it up. Thats one of the things I like about him...he wont say **** about the other team and is far to humble when the steelers whip somebody but on players he comes accross very clear. If you guys dont like my attitude stop giving it to me. I will not take your **** EVER . I dont care if you are tired of my game deal with it. I do know more about the Steelers than most but can also learn so instead of being *******s about it prove a point every now and then.

You're the one getting butt hurt and always looking to start a fight.....Lets all bow down to you since you know best......

NorCalSteel
06-10-2012, 06:56 PM
Now you call me names and I am supposed to be ok with this? really? Are you this much of a idiot in person also or just a keyboard retard? You see how it works is you start it and insult and call names I tell you to F off in politer terms ok. If you don't start in on me I just discuss the topic ok. this is how i am in real life either don't start the issue or don't cry about it when I defend my self..understand. By you calling me names how does this make you any better than me? by you making smart *** comments how does this give you the right to pass judgement on my attitude? Clean your own backyard before you work on mine.

Black@Gold Forever32
06-10-2012, 07:04 PM
Now you call me names and I am supposed to be ok with this? really? Are you this much of a idiot in person also or just a keyboard retard? You see how it works is you start it and insult and call names I tell you to F off in politer terms ok. If you don't start in on me I just discuss the topic ok. this is how i am in real life either don't start the issue or don't cry about it when I defend my self..understand. By you calling me names how does this make you any better than me? by you making smart *** comments how does this give you the right to pass judgement on my attitude? Clean your own backyard before you work on mine.

Are you done whining? I really don't give **** if you're ok with it or not.....You act like a pompous *** and that you know all and everything about the Steelers........Its a message board and it would be a boring place if everybody agreed on everything......Since you know all go work for the Steelers front office.....

NorCalSteel
06-10-2012, 07:40 PM
Lol whinning not hardly....just telling you how it is douchebag..deal with it..just read a few of your own blow hard opinions and then call me pompass again...lol . JW played very well for a second year player last year if you could not see him improving everygame I am sorry. Harrison is a beast and I love that guy. I hope he is able to start for a few years. If he cant I have no problem at all with JW starting he would do fine(not as good as Harrison at first). But I am sure you were thinking the same thing when Harrison was waiting in the wings to replace Porter...look what happened then.

Speeed
06-10-2012, 09:57 PM
Common' guys. Chill. I have been following this thread for awhile, agree to disagree! It's all good. Good points made by both of you, don't make being a fan personal, especially against someone on your side.

NorCalSteel
06-10-2012, 10:31 PM
little info for you Lamar Woodly had 1 more tackle then Worilds last year..6 more sacks and Worilds had a FF and Woodly didn't.

tburg68
06-10-2012, 11:22 PM
Show me a direct quote or a video where Tomlin calls out his players as substandard performers. It doesn't happen. He handles that business in the locker room. He does build up his players in public to motivate them. That doesn't mean that Worilds or any other player is actually performing to that level. It does mean that Tomlin wants them to.

I'll step back and wait for the link.

NorCalSteel
06-11-2012, 12:16 AM
Give me a break he does it all the time in a classy way. If asked a direct question about a player he will tell you if he is above or below the line if he is holding up to the standard. I have watched every press conference and post game conference Tomlin has ever had. There are a few games where players have had multiple personal foul Penalties or when Rashard Mendenhall got benched, Rashard got benched for the week he didn't prepare up to standards for a game and Tomlin addressed the issue in the Media and spelled it out for him. Find the Video's your self you are the person missing out not me. there are also press conferences after games last year where Tomlin singles out Worilds for playing above the line. Do you think the players don't pay attention to these conferences.

Quote from tomlin on Sweed ring a bell?

Quite frankly, he’s not catching the football when he’s deep down the field,” Tomlin said. “He’s got some tape that shows that. He’s got to shake that off. If and when he’s given his next opportunity to make a similar play, he better make it.”

Read more: The Williamson Daily News - Tomlin may bench Sweed after drops

BlitzburghRockCity
06-11-2012, 03:27 PM
FWIW since somewhere in this thread was a topic on Worilds and Harrison :D

DC Dick LeBeau on the injuries to OLBs James Harrison (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/players/playerpage/303162/james-harrison) (LBs coach Keith Butler called it fluid on the knee) and Jason Worilds (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/players/playerpage/1243344/jason-worilds) (left-wrist surgery Worilds labeled “clean up”): “I'm not concerned because there's nothing serious. I would be concerned if it might be, but I think they'll all be up and ready to go in training camp.”

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/rapid-reports/post/19332208

xBlitzBurghx
06-11-2012, 04:45 PM
Harrison won't be losing his position this year.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk