PDA

View Full Version : Steelers not expected to lower Wallace's offer

BlitzburghRockCity
06-07-2012, 03:57 PM
Wouldn't make much sense to do so as Ed points out in his blog, here is an excerpt (http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/pro-sports/steelers/116661-ed-two-5-8-rookies-make-their-pitch)

With the chance to reduce Mike Wallaceís salary from $2.742 million to $577,500 next Friday, the Steelers will pass, Iíve been told. It would make little sense for them to do that and perhaps increase the chances of Wallace not showing up for training camp and beyond if they did. Missing out on the weekly game check of $161,294 hurts a lot more than missing out on $33,971. Itís also not the way the Steelers do business. They want Wallace at training camp and available to open the regular season. Paying him $2 million less would not encourage that.

NorCalSteel
06-07-2012, 06:56 PM
they obviously want to keep him. It is just a numbers game right now.

BlitzburghRockCity
06-07-2012, 09:25 PM
Colbert was on Sirius today and mentioned again that their plan is to get Wallace signed long term and they are confident that they can do that now. It'll happen sooner or later but we're all sick to death of talking about it and pretty much tired of Wallace and his pointless holdout...at least I am..lol

Real Deal Steel
06-08-2012, 12:22 PM
Ditto that brother.

LatrobePA
06-08-2012, 12:23 PM
No one wanted him so he has no choice but to sign and stay put..

K Train
06-08-2012, 12:39 PM
i hope they get a deal done, lowering the offer would be eliminating chances of him coming to camp. I dont even consider this holding out really, if hes not in camp then ill be concerned. But he really hasnt said either way if hes sticking this one out or just waiting til camp to sign his tender. OTAs are kinda getting to be overrated, especially for vet players

JensK
06-08-2012, 02:37 PM
I never understood why it could EVER benefit a player to not attend to camp. To me, it would logically mean that he does not dedicate himself to a team nor cares about winning. That would be a huge red-flag for me as owner of a NFL team. Go out and show that you are worth the money you are asking for and you will get them somewhere.

Also, I agree that OTAs are overrated, however they are not to be disregarded this year in the light of installing a new offensive system imo.

K Train
06-08-2012, 02:48 PM
i get the new playbook makes them a LITTLE more valuable, but its not like hes falling weeks behind he'll be able to catch up just fine.

i honestly dont know what i would do in a tagging situation, i would certainly sign it and show up to be eligible for free agency but i dont think i would play if i wanted a long term deal with the team. Like if i was drew brees i think id just sign it, show up and only play with my left hand lol

Steelerlyn
06-09-2012, 04:39 PM
I am sick to death hearing about this guy. He says it is not about the money (yea right). All I can say is that if HE is not talking about money SOMEONE in his camp is talking about money and either way he is responsible. He has played what 3 years? I admit he is beyond good, however, the Steelers always find a way to fill the holes. In my mind, this dude does not deserve to wear the blackngold.

Black@Gold Forever32
06-09-2012, 04:54 PM
I honestly don't know why some fans can't understand Pro Sports is big business these days.....NFL teams cut players all the time when they a player isn't worth his contract anymore....Mike Wallace is just looking for his best interest and really he only has a short period of time to make as much money as he can.......

But I love reading the total over reaction by some of our fans.....lol If its October and Wallace isn't still signed then really it will become a big deal.....

BlitzburghRockCity
06-10-2012, 12:23 AM
I'm not griping because he isn't signed, honestly I don't care all that much anymore. The dude will get his money but he wants it now instead of in August, that's what my issue is. He knows he's going to get paid so just get in there already. I'm beyond the "have to sign Wallace because he's so great". I certainly don't want to lose him, I'd love to see him sign a new 6 yr. deal and stick around. If he doesn't though it's not the end of the world.

steelcitysfinestXL
06-12-2012, 12:34 PM
I honestly don't know why some fans can't understand Pro Sports is big business these days.....NFL teams cut players all the time when they a player isn't worth his contract anymore....Mike Wallace is just looking for his best interest and really he only has a short period of time to make as much money as he can.......

But I love reading the total over reaction by some of our fans.....lol If its October and Wallace isn't still signed then really it will become a big deal.....

:plus1: I couldnt agree more... It annoys me to no end hearing fans/hosts on the radio, or reading posts in here BASHING Wallace for what... not showing up at voluntary workouts!?!? Even this weeks mini-camp is only mandatory for players under contract, which technically, he isnt! He goes out there and blows out an acl or an achillies and he loses MILLIONS of $$$. At 26, this is going to be his ONE AND ONLY chance to sign a lucrative AND longterm contract. But i do like how the Steelers are handling this. Tomlin is sympathetic and hopeful when speaking of Wallace. The FO isnt going to cut his tender... the first "olive branch" has been extended by the Steelers. Now hammer out a deal, Offer the guy 6 years in the neighborhood of 60 mil and get his *** to Latrobe day 1!

K Train
06-12-2012, 12:40 PM
:plus1: I couldnt agree more... It annoys me to no end hearing fans/hosts on the radio, or reading posts in here BASHING Wallace for what... not showing up at voluntary workouts!?!? Even this weeks mini-camp is only mandatory for players under contract, which technically, he isnt! He goes out there and blows out an acl or an achillies and he loses MILLIONS of $$$. At 26, this is going to be his ONE AND ONLY chance to sign a lucrative AND longterm contract. But i do like how the Steelers are handling this. Tomlin is sympathetic and hopeful when speaking of Wallace. The FO isnt going to cut his tender... the first "olive branch" has been extended by the Steelers. Now hammer out a deal, Offer the guy 6 years in the neighborhood of 60 mil and get his *** to Latrobe day 1!
beautiful

BlitzburghRockCity
06-12-2012, 04:36 PM
How is this going to be his one and only chance to sign a long term deal. He's likely going to sign a 5 yr. deal, maybe 6 years. yes it will be for huge money whether he's a Steeler or not. At some point near the end of the deal the team will give him some type of extension for yet again big money. Probably not as big as the first one but still could be another 25-35 million to stick around for another 4 years or so.

These guys who say, well I shouldn't show up because I might get hurt. Well if you signed your tender you'd be here and working out and you could still get hurt. They use this, I could get hurt excuse, way too much. That's just me though.

There's always a risk of injury. Let's say he signs a 6 yr, 65 million dollar deal for example. Then lets say he then blows out a knee for the next 2 seasons in a row. Do you think the Steelers are going to keep him around at that salary when he's not playing? Not hardly... Just take your money like everybody else, get out there and play and stop worrying about what "might" happen.

K Train
06-12-2012, 04:41 PM
they kept colon around lol

the thing is if he blows out his knee prior to getting a deal, hes ****ed long term. these short careers playing a dangerous game require security (for most players at least, some dont mind being tagged)

steelcitysfinestXL
06-13-2012, 08:03 PM
they kept colon around lol

the thing is if he blows out his knee prior to getting a deal, hes ****ed long term. these short careers playing a dangerous game require security (for most players at least, some dont mind being tagged)

Combine that w/ the fact: there are alot of WR's who arent putting up his numbers, who got deals the last two years and now have long term AND lucrative deals. You have to realize: Wallace is a legitimate probowler making $500,000 a year, that got upped to $2.7 mil on a technicality because the Steelers didnt want to let him hit the open market. When you look at it from his standpoint, The Steelers basically said: "We can't sign you right now, so we will tender you. We dont want to let you leave and get paid else where! Sign this tender, get a slight raise and we'll see what we can work out in the next few months!"

Mike Wallace doesnt have to look far to see his probowl peers who are holding out (MJD, Forte, Wes Welker (ok not holding out but still made a it know he isnt happy) Drew Brees, the list goes on... and these guys got FRANCHISED and are making top 5 money at their positions! Wallace will make 1/4 of what Wes Welker will make this year! I hate the fact that he isnt in camp but im not going to blame him for not showing up to a voluntary work out, as a vet, who's in the middle of the biggest negotiation of his career!

K Train
06-13-2012, 08:26 PM
guys like garcon, meachem, jackson, d jackson...ect signing somewhat big deals should make wallace feel like he deserves that, hes better than all those guys. hes a legit top 7-8 WR and thats after 3 years of putting up top notch production for a rookie, 2nd year, 3rd year WR...most WRs cant even crack a starting lineup til year 3, the best is yet to come with him

steelcitysfinestXL
06-13-2012, 08:51 PM
guys like garcon, meachem, jackson, d jackson...ect signing somewhat big deals should make wallace feel like he deserves that, hes better than all those guys. hes a legit top 7-8 WR and thats after 3 years of putting up top notch production for a rookie, 2nd year, 3rd year WR...most WRs cant even crack a starting lineup til year 3, the best is yet to come with him

He put up Larry Fitz numbers in his first 3 seasons! More than Andre Johnson and Clavin Johnson in their first three years... Hell, you can take Vincent Jacksons BEST 3 out of 7 years and Wallace is in that ballpark in his FIRST 3. For him to take 10 mil a year would still be a deal if you go by numbers vs. the best wrs in the league and their first 3 seasons. He'll never see that money here, we all know that! But im ok with him holding out EARLY to try and work out a deal to stay with this team.

JensK
06-14-2012, 06:25 AM
He put up Larry Fitz numbers in his first 3 seasons! More than Andre Johnson and Clavin Johnson in their first three years... Hell, you can take Vincent Jacksons BEST 3 out of 7 years and Wallace is in that ballpark in his FIRST 3. For him to take 10 mil a year would still be a deal if you go by numbers vs. the best wrs in the league and their first 3 seasons. He'll never see that money here, we all know that! But im ok with him holding out EARLY to try and work out a deal to stay with this team.

He'll never see those money anywhere to be honest. Yes, he did indeed put up those numbers, but there are also concerns with him. Most of the WRs mentioned are physically some of the most blessed players in the NFL in terms of body-type. Whether its fair that contracts are dealt accordingly I won't comment on, but the fact remains is that when teams started to figure out that they had to take him out, his production fell dramatically. Until he actually proves that he can beat a CB with safety help on a consistent basis he'll never get Johnson or Fitzgerald like money nor status.

That said, I do not disregard Wallace as being a good football player, nor do I disregard his importance to the other WRs on this team. I only question his actual market value. My views on him holding out, in that regard, is irrelevant.

steelcitysfinestXL
06-14-2012, 01:34 PM
Is it really that teams started to take him out of the game?! I think there is a direct correlation between Bens injury/our makeshift towards the end of the year/ABs improved numbers and Wallace's decline.

I keep going back to the same thing: Todd Haley has proved he knows how to get the ball into the hands of his playmakers in a variety of ways. One thing I think BA lacked.

steelcitysfinestXL
06-14-2012, 01:35 PM
Makeshift *o-line*

ChucktownSteeler
06-14-2012, 07:32 PM
So Wallace's options are:

1.) Sign the tender, get to camp, and work on a long term deal.

2.) Hold out all year (in which case he still owes the Steelers another year). He has gained nothing.

3.) Hold out until week 10 (I think) sign the tender (at Steeler's discretion on amount, although they have publicly stated they would not lower it). Play the remaining games and become an UFA (Steeler could still place the Franchise Tag on him).

Which will Mike choose, I hope option 1.

C-town

BlitzburghRockCity
06-14-2012, 08:15 PM
Kevin Colbert says on @MarkMaddenX show that they will not reduce Wallace tender because "he deserves that money"

- From BRC's Droid Bionic of Coolness

TarlsQtr
06-16-2012, 12:33 AM
Essentially, the article (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/19358780/wallaces-best-opportunity-came-and-went-now-its-time-for-him-to-take-deal) states that Wallace's leverage is reducing by the day and the Steelers hold the cards.

I tend to agree.

BlacknGoldHaze
06-16-2012, 09:24 AM
Yep.....this holdout was really senseless...awful advice from his agent. He gained absolutely nothing by not signing his tender...nothing but anger and disgust from most Steeler fans.

Antonio Brown...keep taking notes!

dwim99
06-16-2012, 11:46 AM
Time to give it up and get into learning the system...

CowherPower
06-18-2012, 10:01 PM
If Wallace keeps his holdout going into training camp the Steelers could start a system where they might ultimately fine him so much per day he misses; taking it out of his signing bonus that he'll get. Whether he's technically under contract or not, they still hold the cards and they could pull that if it comes down it.

The Rooney's patience will begin wearing thin with him, if it hasn't already. That not so subtle jab that Art II took at him by saying "he should be here" during mini camp should be a sign that it's time to stop this pointless statement he's making and just sign the deal.