PDA

View Full Version : Have Bengals become the biggest threat to Pittsburgh in AFCN in 2012?

Blitzburgh_Mike
06-06-2012, 08:47 PM
Hey everyone, I'm a newcomer to this site and I cannot wait for Pittsburgh's 2012 season to begin. However, I've had one lingering thought in my mind about the competition in front of Pittsburgh in the AFCN ever since the draft ended. Have/Will the Bengals surpassed/surpass the Ravens as the biggest threat to Pittsburgh's chances of taking the AFCN in 2012? As much as I don't want to admit it, I do believe the Bengals have had a tremendous offseason. I thought they had one of the best drafts and signed some good role players in free agency including Jason Allen and Benjarvus Green-Ellis. Some of their moves, however, I think have been overblown. I don't think Benjarvus Green-Ellis is that great of a pick up. He's a solid player who doesn't turn the ball over, but he's no Trent Richardson and he certainly is no Ray Rice. Personally, I think Pittsburgh and Baltimore's front seven will beat him like a drum. And Flacco scares me more than Dalton does, although Dalton has A.J. Green to throw the ball to so that feeling might be subject to change. But I keep hearing predictions that Pittsburgh is going to finish 3rd in the AFCN this year. To me, that is insane! Just wanted to hear others thoughts on the division for next season.

BubbyBlister
06-06-2012, 09:03 PM
Welcome to the board and personally I think the Bengals are the bigger object in the Steelers way now and Think Balt opportunity was last year and look for them to decline. Sure Balt is always going to play Pitt tuff cause of the rivalry and there defense will always be there but look for them to fold more games against other teams. Cinci is fairly young and upcoming and as for Pitt finishing third this season I don't buy it all all. I look for this team to make a good run at 7 this year and not fall very short from it or at all. There is too much talent on the Steelers now on both sides.

connecticutsteel
06-06-2012, 11:35 PM
I look at it like this we are the class of the North un till they beat us so .Kinda like our line is supposed to be great but we don't really know

coldrolled
06-07-2012, 08:59 AM
Well if Dalton plays better than Flacco they will be battling for first.. The Bengals season is on Dalton..

Flacco with a weaker defense is in trouble. Less time on the field for him will force him to produce...
The Ravens season is on the defense holding their ground.

We are better in the OL and have Haley.. Ben is Ben.. We will win.. We have a huge WR advantage...
We will be hard to beat... Our DB's need to show up...

Raleigh Steel
06-07-2012, 10:27 AM
when the p-cats have consecutive winning seasons then i'll take them seriously...

K Train
06-07-2012, 10:46 AM
they are certainly the flavor of the month.

LatrobePA
06-07-2012, 10:56 AM
It's all on fire bush, if he can have a solid year they'll be tough... We already know and expect their D to be good!

BlitzburghRockCity
06-07-2012, 10:58 AM
I agree with K train, they are the sexy pick for the NFL right now. Each year the media picks a few teams to be the next big thing. Sometimes they are right, sometimes they are wrong. Seems when they pick Cleveland they are usually wrong..lol

The Bengals are far from the doormats they used to be but they are young still. Teams now have a full year of film on Dalton and Greene so expect them to struggle this year against good defenses. Still though I wouldn't say they are that far off from the Ravens right now either.

Real Deal Steel
06-07-2012, 11:12 AM
Happy to have a new Steeler poster. :)

Yeah, the Bengals (on paper) look to be the team to give us problems this season. In theory, you'd think Dalton would be better this year with a decent O-line and running game around him. I have to admit that they've upgraded the overall talent of the team very well the last three years.

But it's not like we've been just twittling our toes either. I think we have done enough continuous upgrading in our talent to continue our domimance in this division. I also feel our mental toughness is waaaaay ahead of the Bengals too. And at this level of football where the talent is mostly on the same level, the mental edge is a huge, huge factor.

I expect the Ravens to take a step or two back because of what they lost in free agency, coupled with dissatisfaction by Ray Rice and his contract situation and injuries that are mounting in the Ravens linebacker corps. All those things will allow the Bengals to easily finish behind us and possibly secure another wild card position.

coldrolled
06-07-2012, 11:24 AM
You forget that Lewis is what... Almost 40 in football years

K Train
06-07-2012, 11:26 AM
i honestly think dalton maxed out mid season, what you see is what you get with him. The upside really isnt there, he showed that down the stretch. he can be a good, servicable QB...kinda like chad pennington was pre injuries

Big T
06-07-2012, 01:02 PM
i honestly think dalton maxed out mid season, what you see is what you get with him. The upside really isnt there, he showed that down the stretch. he can be a good, servicable QB...kinda like chad pennington was pre injuries

Exactly. Could not agree more. I've been saying this forever. Here's my take from a few weeks ago in another thread:

The Bengals have a very good defense. Their offense on the other hand has 2 playmakers (Green and Gresham). They have a QB that had a very good rookie season but is already unbelievably overrated. Andy Dalton has reached his ceiling. IMO, he will never be better than he was last season. He's a very average QB. The Law Firm in no way scares me. He's not the type of runner that gives the Steelers problems. Power runners give the Steelers some issues.

And I absolutely love all the "this is the year that Joe Flacco proves he's elite" talk. LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL. Joe Flacco? LOL.

coldrolled
06-07-2012, 01:17 PM
Well Monday night Sept 10th will show us which way the divison is headed.

Bengals at Ravens

BlitzburghRockCity
06-07-2012, 03:53 PM
That's going to be a low scoring game, I'd be mildly surprised if either team scores 21 points.

Real Deal Steel
06-07-2012, 04:07 PM
You forget that Lewis is what... Almost 40 in football years

Your right! And seeing him in coverage is a joke now too. He can't cover anyone!

CowherPower
06-08-2012, 08:22 AM
Ray Lewis shouldn't scare anyone anymore. He's a figure head now and a crowd pleaser with that stupid dance he does. On the field he's still above average but hardly the guy he used to be, I honestly don't think he'll know when it's time to hang it up.

Real Deal Steel
06-08-2012, 12:13 PM
I'd like to exploit Lewis more in situations where he's forced to cover a TE or RB in space.

BlitzburghRockCity
06-09-2012, 09:54 AM
Lewis is a lot like Farrior was for us last year, he can still stop the run but if you get him in coverage he can be exposed. The Steelers have said they want to use the TE more and be more unpredictable on offense, so why not give the rest of the NFL a taste of what we've had to deal with for so long.

Nolrog
06-09-2012, 04:43 PM
I don't think they have the QB to be a threat just yet. Though I thought they did well on the draft.

BlitzburghRockCity
06-11-2012, 09:20 PM
Anybody think the Bengals might consider bringing back Chad Ocho, at a much lower price as a role player? I bet if he came crawling back to them and agreed to not be a distraction they might consider it.

thomas44
06-13-2012, 10:25 PM
Well if Dalton plays better than Flacco they will be battling for first.. The Bengals season is on Dalton..

Flacco with a weaker defense is in trouble. Less time on the field for him will force him to produce...
The Ravens season is on the defense holding their ground.

We are better in the OL and have Haley.. Ben is Ben.. We will win.. We have a huge WR advantage...
We will be hard to beat... Our DB's need to show up...
Flacco plays at the top of his talent level. We've seen the best he's got IMO.. No Suggs, and a grumpy Ray Rice who wants a new contract, I see the Ravens faltering this year. Even Ed Reed is sitting on the fence (as always), he'll play.. Dalton wasn't overwhelming last year and they don't have much of a run game. I think its a toss up between those two. I think we'll definitely look to be the class of this division again this year...