PDA

View Full Version : Does Foote make it through the whole year as the starter or does Sylvester step in?

BlitzburghRockCity
06-04-2012, 05:01 PM
The Steelers have confidence in Foote to step right in for Farrior and the defense to not miss a beat. Experience wise, Foote has 10 years in this defense, if anybody knows the ins and outs, it's him. He's got more speed to hang with the passing game but he's no spring chicken either.

So one must wonder, he's going to be the starter in September but how much do they force Sylvester into the lineup this season? Is it time for him to really step up to the plate or will he take a back seat all year? Even if he does, Sylvester that is, he'll still see playing time either because of injury or just in a regular rotation when Timmons or Foote need a breather.

I've always been a big fan of Foote, anybody that's been around here for awhile knows that. I like the additional bit of speed that he brings but sooner or later Sylvester's time will come and let's hope he'll be ready.

From the Tribune Review (http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/1899158-85/foote-farrior-steelers-larry-season-defense-james-played-lions-mark?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+tribunereviewsteelers+(Steele rs+Stories))

“I can hold my own,” he said. “I’ve taken the huddle of this team before in my 10 years. I know the defense. I can play.”

Foote played alongside Farrior for five years and 80 consecutive games from 2004-08 before leaving for his hometown Detroit Lions for one season in 2009.

While he mostly backed up Farrior during his first season back with the Steelers in 2010, Foote took over a larger role by replacing Farrior for multiple series at a time.

Foote played 40 percent (411 plays) of the Steelers’ defensive snaps last season. Farrior played 73 percent of the snaps. In the two games Farrior was out because of an injury (Baltimore and New England), Foote logged 70 and 57 snaps, respectively.

“Larry Foote knows this defense in and out,” Butler said. “He’s been in this defense for 10 years. If anybody knows this defense, it’s Larry Foote. Larry Foote is a very capable starter for us, and there won’t be much drop-off by having him in there.”

When the Steelers invested a first-round pick on Lawrence Timmons in 2007, Foote knew he wasn’t going to be in the team’s long-term plans, so he signed a one-year deal with the Lions when his contract expired.

Although Foote started 14 games and had his second-best tackling season of his career, the Lions went 2-14.

In the non-salary cap year of 2010, the Steelers lured Foote back in a reserve role. He agreed to return but only after he was assured he wasn’t being signed to replace Farrior.

K Train
06-04-2012, 05:03 PM
i think so, not that i love the idea but sly needs to blow up in camp if hes gonna unseat him next to timmons. id imagine sly and spence will both find packages to see the field though

coldrolled
06-04-2012, 06:00 PM
When Foote went to Detroit.. Who cryed?

Im rooting for Sly or Spence.

scudmissile29
06-04-2012, 06:23 PM
Spence will start over Sylvester anyday, he should he's a 3rd round draft pick and judging by miamis nfl success I think he's going to do fine.

I would like to see Spence actually start a game, could help foote as well, alternate between him and sly and see what they have to offer.

**** the linebackers sitting for 5 years before they see a snap (over exaggerating but idc)

if he can hit, line him up and let him go after ray rice.

Goodfrom55
06-04-2012, 06:23 PM
I believe he is capable, and will do a good job stuffing the run. I just worry about him in coverage; not as fast as he used to be - and that wasn't that fast to begin with.

Root4Stlrs
06-04-2012, 06:29 PM
When Foote went to Detroit.. Who cryed?

Im rooting for Sly or Spence.
I did.

ChucktownSteeler
06-04-2012, 07:03 PM
Foote (barring injury) will get most of the snaps this year. Lebeau will play the steady hand. Spence will be ready next year.

C-town

Real Deal Steel
06-04-2012, 08:12 PM
I too like Spence but logic would seem to dictate that Sly is going to see some time this year. Especially if Foote appears long in the tooth at any given time.

But I could see Spence being given some 3rd and long yardage opportunities by years end if he catches on well.

MDSteel15
06-05-2012, 08:35 AM
Foote will be the starter until either Spence steps up or they draft his replacement next year!

Number99
06-05-2012, 10:13 AM
Foote will start and play in most packages. Sylvester will fill in and be first man up in an injury occurs. Spence will be a special teamer for his first year. It's very doubtful Spence will get into any reg season snaps unless alot of injuries happen or the Steelers are seriously blowing someone out.

K Train
06-05-2012, 10:30 AM
i think spence could find himself in some nickel and dime packages, foote and sly are abysmal in coverage

scudmissile29
06-05-2012, 05:19 PM
I don't think it's normal for a linebacker having to wait a couple of years before making the team, thats why we have run into this problem.

replace one aging veteran with another instead of injecting youth into the defense.

we need to change it, how we help our young lbers.

i want spence to start by week 10, I would actually give him a start at the end of the year if our record is good and we are playing the clowns.

NorCalSteel
06-05-2012, 05:49 PM
Larry Foote has always been a solid linebacker for the Steeler's. I am glad he came back and was disapointed when he left. As far as linebackers in coverage I don't like to see any of them doing it..lol. Why do you thing we stuck Allen on the New England tight ends...Kirkland was the only one I ever liked to see in coverage..Timmons is getting better. We keep waiting for Sly to make his move to start but we are still waiting..if Spence lives up to the hype he will bypass Sly on the charts..

SnakeEyes43
06-05-2012, 06:06 PM
Foote is very capable, IMO he's a step up from Farrior the last few years. But if Foote struggles then I say throw in Sly or Spence (Spence if he shows he is ready to start in camp, but I doubt he will be). I like the idea of two speedy ILBs.

CowherPower
06-06-2012, 10:03 AM
Don't underestimate the tenacity of Larry Foote. He's a very proud NFL player and I'm sure he's excited to have this chance to start again. His knowledge of the defense and youth(relatively speaking compared to Potsie) will be a welcomed addition to the middle of the field.

I would say though that this is a big year Sly Sylvester too, he needs to push Foote for that spot every chance he gets because he'll have Sean Spence nipping at his heels in the coming years too.

coldrolled
06-06-2012, 10:06 AM
I don't think it's normal for a linebacker having to wait a couple of years before making the team, thats why we have run into this problem.

replace one aging veteran with another instead of injecting youth into the defense.

we need to change it, how we help our young lbers.

i want spence to start by week 10, I would actually give him a start at the end of the year if our record is good and we are playing the clowns.

Hightower and chandler will be on the field in boston...
With us it seems we need high IQ LB's with wheels or they die on the vine.

Number99
06-06-2012, 11:41 AM
Hightower and chandler will be on the field in boston...
With us it seems we need high IQ LB's with wheels or they die on the vine.

They probably will. But with the defense the Pats have had the past few years its not surprising.

BlitzburghRockCity
06-06-2012, 05:10 PM
Foote is one of the precious few remaining from the Bill Cowher era. They are dropping like flies here over the last couple of years, by next year there will only be a handful left. I hope he has a great year!

coldrolled
06-07-2012, 10:11 AM
If foote doesnt keep up in coverage early.. he will be watching the young guys play.