PDA

View Full Version : 3rd best Quarterback in Steelers history

BlitzburghRockCity
06-03-2012, 07:57 PM
Our own Steeldad was on his usual spot with TribLive Radio yesterday and one of the questions about Kordell Stewart and where he ranked among the history of Steeler QB's. I missed part of the show so I didn't get a chance to hear what Marc's answer was but it got me thinking of who the 3rd best QB in team history is. The first 2 are obvious choices, Terry Bradshaw and Ben Roethlisberger. Beyond that though, one could make a case for just about any of them.

I was going to keep to 1970 to present but I figured, eh WTH let's live dangerously. Most though probably don't remember much if anything about guys like Bobby Lane or Bill Dudley.

Keep in mind that if you are looking at some of the older guys, back in the day the NFL season was only 12 games.

I posted up a poll with this thread and left it open to voting for more than one just because, in my opinion at least, it's not so clear cut as one might think. If there is a name that you want to vote for that isn't on the poll, just select other and than explain in your post.

Below is a list of the more famous names that have been a starting Quarterback for the Steelers. The full list can be found here. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Pittsburgh_Steelers_starting_quarterbacks)

Kordell Stewart
Jim Miller
Kent Graham
Cliff Stoudt
Bubby Brister
Charlie Batch
Tommy Maddox
Neil O'donnell
Mike Tomczak
Bobby Layne
Jim Finks
Ed Brown
Mark Malone
David Woodley
Dick Shiner
Terry Hanratty
Earl Morrall
Ray Evans
Joe Geri
Bill Dudley

BlitzburghRockCity
06-03-2012, 08:07 PM
I'll start it off with mine, I think it's bit of a toss up but the edge probably goes to O'donnell. As much as I hate Neil for that SB XXX debacle he was a pretty reliable QB on a team with not many offensive weapons and featuring the run he did have a 55-45 career record. He had 120 TD's and 68 interceptions.

You could make a case for Kordell Stewart who had a 48-34 record with 77 career TD's and 84 interceptions. The reason I even put Kordell in this was because early in his career he was Slash which made him a huge threat. However you can also say that as a pure QB he was nothing more than average at best.

I wasn't around for the 5 years that Bobby Layne was with the Steelers, 1958-1962, but looking at his stats during his tenure in Pittsburgh. 66 TD's and 81 Int's for 9,030 yds.

Black@Gold Forever32
06-03-2012, 08:09 PM
Bill Dudley was a RB/DB............

I would say the top five would look like this.....

Bradshaw, Roethlisberger, Layne, O'Donnell, Stewart..........

BlitzburghRockCity
06-03-2012, 08:10 PM
He did play a bit of QB so I put him on this list because a lot of old timers loved his versatility but yeah I agree he wasn't a huge name just in QB.

Black@Gold Forever32
06-03-2012, 08:15 PM
Just think the Steelers cut Johnny Unitas and Len Dawson....lol two hall of fame QB's.......

Black@Gold Forever32
06-03-2012, 08:19 PM
I didn't realize Dudley did have 222 career pass attempts....What I always heard or read about him was him being a HB/DB..........Dudley was the original slash....lol

ChucktownSteeler
06-03-2012, 09:09 PM
From that list you have to go Kordell Stewart, no doubt. Brister, I think had the athletic potential, and could ever forget the one and only "Dick Shiner"?

C-town

coldrolled
06-03-2012, 09:34 PM
Mark Malone

jpele
06-03-2012, 11:24 PM
Just because I don't see their names I'm goingvto say either, Jim Finks, joe Gilliam or Ted Marchibroda. I cross off Brister from the list because every time he went back to pass the cameramen would give us a shot of Bristers Mom in the stands,very annoying.

On a realistic note I'd have to say it's a tossup between Kordell or O' Donnel.

jpele
06-03-2012, 11:30 PM
Mark Malone

I'll remember Malone for giving the 1984 Niners their only loss.

coldrolled
06-04-2012, 07:59 AM
I'll remember Malone for giving the 1984 Niners their only loss.

Im reminded of him when i see that show Magnum PI

The Lakelander
06-04-2012, 08:52 AM
As far as measurables, Neil O'Donnell was the 3rd best QB in Steelers history. O'Donnell has the lowest INT% in modern Steelers history and was a very accurate passer. He hit the deep throws consistently. His Passing Yards/Game is 2nd in team history (Kordell's Passing Yards/Game is a sad sorry matter).

O'Donnell scores as a better passer than Stewart virtually across the spectrum of measurables.

Kordell obviously had the intangible ability to run with the football. But that neck meat pimple was just plain nasty!

If O'Donnell hadn't blown the Super Bowl in 1995, we'd be talking about him as a Steelers hero! He was the best post-Bradshaw QB we fielded ... until Big Ben re-wrote the script of being a Steelers QB ...

K Train
06-04-2012, 09:44 AM
this question is almost depressing lol

steelwolf
06-04-2012, 09:50 AM
Just think what the Steelers top five could have looked like if they wouldn't have cut Unitas and would have drafted Marino.

Unitas
Bradshaw
Marino
Stewart
Roethlisberger

not to shabby

scudmissile29
06-04-2012, 11:23 AM
roethlisberger is better than bradshaw by far.

defense led the steelers first 4 rings.

roethlisberger led the last one.

Anyone outside the Steelers think Bradshaw was average but clutch.

Roethlisberger is by far above average and also clutch.

ChucktownSteeler
06-04-2012, 12:03 PM
Until Ben has 4 rings, Bradshaw is king!

C-town

K Train
06-04-2012, 12:14 PM

i will say i think ben is better than bradshaw by a wide margin, but bradshaw was no sloutch. he was the kind of prospect that scouts and fans ooooo'd and ahhhhh'd over coming out of school. What stafford, newton, luck are today is what bradshaw was back then

Steelersfan
06-04-2012, 12:28 PM
Defense didn't lead to all 4 rings. Might want to check again. O lead to the last two of that era.

Raleigh Steel
06-04-2012, 01:00 PM
hard to compare bradshaw and ben...2 different eras! one thing for sure, as clutch as ben is, bradshaw was a big game player!

...couldn't agree more with ya lake on o'donnell.

1) bradshaw...for now
2) ben...close behind though
3) o'donnell...far FAR from 2nd!

ChucktownSteeler
06-04-2012, 07:12 PM
Where does old Mike T-Zak fit in, #5 or 6? I remember a game where he drug an opposing playing by the face mask and I remember saying, yep, that's a Steeler QB right there.

C-town

Zachintosh66
06-04-2012, 11:00 PM
if anyone votes kent graham im punching them in the face!

BlacknGoldHaze
06-04-2012, 11:13 PM
if anyone votes kent graham im punching them in the face!

:lol: What about Cliff Stoudt??

MDSteel15
06-05-2012, 07:30 AM
Just on stats alone you have to take Neil O'Donnell, then Slash, Bobby Layne and Tommy Maddox!

Raleigh Steel
06-05-2012, 12:26 PM
does steve bono get any consideration of making this list?

LarryNJ
06-05-2012, 02:14 PM
Defense didn't lead to all 4 rings. Might want to check again. O lead to the last two of that era.
This is very true.

In 1978 the "Blount rule" was put into effect and Bradshaw shined, winning league MVP in a career year. In his next 6 playoff games, all wins leading to two rings and two SB MVPs in 1978-79, Bradshaw had ratings of 95.8, 89.7, 119.2, 111.0, 90.8 and 101.9. He threw 2 TDs in each of his last 7 playoff games, even having 4 TD passes in Super Bowl XIII against Dallas. The Steelers scored at least 27 points in all 7 of those games (5 games with 31+), putting their offense on the same elite level as the Steel Curtain defense

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/blog/?p=5850

Terry Hanratty .... :lol:

BlitzburghRockCity
06-06-2012, 08:44 AM
I still remember that huge game by Tommy Maddox against Cleveland in the snow. He was on that day! He was really the only gun slinger type of QB that the Steelers had Roethlisberger came along. He (Maddox) was just so inconsistent though and couldn't exactly stay healthy either.

ChucktownSteeler
06-06-2012, 12:23 PM
I still remember that huge game by Tommy Maddox against Cleveland in the snow. He was on that day! He was really the only gun slinger type of QB that the Steelers had Roethlisberger came along. He (Maddox) was just so inconsistent though and couldn't exactly stay healthy either.

I was pretty excited as well when Tommy-gun came along. Man, what a ride, albeit short. He had another great shoot-out against the Falcons that ended in a tie, I think.

I will always be grateful to Tommy-gun for hastening Kordell's departure and ushering in the Ben years. Ever wonder what would have happened had he not gotten hurt in the second game of Ben's rookie year against the Rats? Would Ben have played at all that season?

C-town

Raleigh Steel
06-06-2012, 12:44 PM
one thing you can say about tommy maddox: he was the greatest player in XFL history!!!