PDA

View Full Version : Update on slogan contest.

Steelersfan
01-26-2007, 02:42 PM
The slogan contest has been canceled due to some unforeseen circumstances. To be honest with everyone here the NFL sent me a letter requesting that I take the store down due to copyright issues. I called and spoke to the person who sent me the letter and worked everything out with them about the site itself and their biggest issue was the selling of products closely resembling the Steelers and their logo so I agreed to take the store down. The NFL encourages fan sites and doesn't mind the use of logos until the site goes "commercial". I've never really thought of this site as a commercial site and that was never my intent. I put the store up because it was a way for members to donate to the site while getting something back in return. And with what little money was actually made off the store I really never thought of it as commercial.....:lol:
In all fairness to the NFL they do have a right to protect their trademarks and I'm not upset about this. We thought we had these issues covered to be honest. The person I talked to was very nice and told me I could call anytime with any questions in the future and they would be happy to help us out. We will still look to have other contests where you can win some cool prizes from us in the future so be on the lookout for them.
I guess the good thing is the NFL knows about us now.....lol
Again, sorry everyone. I will try and find another contest in the next couple of weeks that we could run that won't conflict with any copyrights and stuff.

AZ_Steeler
01-26-2007, 03:06 PM
At least I got mine and my sons shirts!!! :banana: They are collector items now :cope:

Hburg
01-26-2007, 06:19 PM
Hey man, I don't know if this would help, but if you got the site registered down as a non-profit organization would that help in being able to use "similar logos" without worry by the NFL that you are trying to infringe on their copyrighted logos or make money off of them without giving them their "dues" (although I would think an organization such as the NFL which makes millions per year wouldn't sweat an extra few bucks or so but I know that these days that doesn't seem to matter).

If you think there is a chance of being able to establish the site as a non-profit organization and that would help out just let me know. I know my dad was the treasurer of our church as well as a few other sports clubs and organizations and was able to get the organizations put as non-profit. Just trying to help.

Just out of curiosity, what did the old logo look like that looked too similar to the Steelers actual logo and how close can we get before it is going to get too similar to the NFL logo's. I ask again so hopefully I can help out with a new logo for the site.

BuFu

Blitzburgh55
01-26-2007, 06:27 PM
Its cool the NFL even knows bout us

AZ_Steeler
01-26-2007, 06:35 PM
Just out of curiosity, what did the old logo look like that looked too similar to the Steelers actual logo and how close can we get before it is going to get too similar to the NFL logo's. I ask again so hopefully I can help out with a new logo for the site.

The logo that SF was using is similar to the image at the top of the page just minus the players and plate background. All it said was Steeler Addicts with the 3 grey hypocloids.

BlitzburghRockCity
01-26-2007, 06:36 PM
Ive always said the NFL marketing dept's keep tabs on team fan sights for everything from copyright stuff to just general fan input on the team. The sux if you ask me, but Im glad they know were alive and kickin.

Hburg
01-26-2007, 06:52 PM
The logo that SF was using is similar to the image at the top of the page just minus the players and plate background. All it said was Steeler Addicts with the 3 grey hypocloids.

How the hell is that similar to the actual Steelers logos? It's illegal now to use three hypocycloids? So now are they going to start keeping tabs on geometry class?

Ive always said the NFL marketing dept's keep tabs on team fan sights for everything from copyright stuff to just general fan input on the team. The sux if you ask me, but Im glad they know were alive and kickin.

Ok, well here's my input! YO NFL! STOP BEING SUCH TIGHT ASSES AND ALLOW SOME CREATIVITY AND FAN SUPPORT!!!

BuFu

BlitzburghRockCity
01-26-2007, 07:00 PM
How the hell is that similar to the actual Steelers logos? It's illegal now to use three hypocycloids? So now are they going to start keeping tabs on geometry class?

Ok, well here's my input! YO NFL! STOP BEING SUCH TIGHT ASSES AND ALLOW SOME CREATIVITY AND FAN SUPPORT!!!

BuFu

I agree, back on a site I used to be on the NFL got involved because the site's logo was REALLY close to the official Steelers logo and they had a cow. The No Fun League strikes again.

House of Steel
01-26-2007, 07:07 PM
I am sorry to hear this, Dan. I am glad you didn't get into a hussle with them like Mac and Wife did using the Steelers Logo to sell their damn products. They was about to file a lawsuit on the owner and his wife for selling Steelers Logo soap. They did get a small fine for it though. I hope everything gets back up and going soon. Well it is a lesson well learned. Damn the NFL.

Steelx
01-26-2007, 08:22 PM
I think that is a bunch of crap you have nothing (from the way it sounds that deals with the team. I call BS. The name of the team is "Pittsburgh SteelerS" not Steeler they want all the money

MRS Steelerfan
01-26-2007, 10:33 PM
My guess is, we have a troll form a rival site that reported this. It is not a Steelers logo, it does not even have the S as metioned above!

And BTW, I hope you ordered those thongs HUN, before you closed shop:bluelol:

MY opinion on this:bsflag:

haha, they even sent this letter certified mail, :bluelol:

BR7
01-27-2007, 01:05 AM
Sorry to hear that. I ran into a similar situation with my site. I had the senior lawyer from EA Sports contact me about my stuff, lol.

I knew there might be some probs when designing the stuff for SF due to my encounters on my site. Trademarks/logos, basically you cannot use anything that even remotely resembles (in this case the Steelers logo/word art). Gay. They make billions and are worried about you making slightly less than that.

Did you ask if you took out the hypos.. would it be ok? Cause thats the only thing that I think they'd have a legit bitch about.

But hey, atleast I have my mouse pad!!!!!!!

BlacknGold Bleeder
01-27-2007, 01:16 AM
I did not go to the store so I don't know what was for sale, sorry about that, but a picture of the thong being modeled by the Mrs. might be interesting. :banana:
Next question is ... what does this have to do with a slogan for OUR site?? I can see the selling of stuff with the STEELERS logo or maybe stretching it to the hypocloids, even if I don't agree. I just don't see how this stops us from having a slogan or selling stuff with that slogan on it. I mean afterall if you can: example "not just fans,hardcore fans" why can't we have a slogan on our site??? I just don't understand why we can't have a slogan, dammit !! If it means not using the word STEELER as part of STEELERADDICTS on a shirt or whatever then why can't we just use SA and then the slogan. I am not trying to cause trouble for our owner or mods but this sucks big time !! I don't believe the NFL has the right to tell us we cannot have a slogan. If you don't want to discuss this in the thread please PM me. This is major league COW PATTIES !!!

BR7
01-27-2007, 01:31 AM
And BTW, I hope you ordered those thongs HUN, before you closed shop:bluelol:

hmmm.. for him or you? :dunno: :greengrin:

I got that plus a phone call!

Steelersfan
01-27-2007, 01:39 AM
The key is our we a commercial site or fan site. If we do anything that generates revenue then we are commercial. Donations are another story that they really can't count. But as a site owner if I tried to make money off the site my hands are tied as to what I can do for the most part. Even though I own the domain name for this site they can make a case that I am using the Steelers to make money. My intent when I made this site wasn't on making money and still isn't. The donations that come in go into my paypal account which I in turn use to pay for the hosting costs. I did the same with the store.

Hburg
01-27-2007, 01:47 AM
My guess is, we have a troll form a rival site that reported this. It is not a Steelers logo, it does not even have the S as metioned above!

You are prolly right, either that or the NFL is really anal about probing (no pun intended) around the internet looking for websites that might be plagerizing their whatever.

"You've been served."

Did you ask if you took out the hypos.. would it be ok? Cause thats the only thing that I think they'd have a legit bitch about.

I still don't get how they could have a problem with people using a geometric figure.

but a picture of the thong being modeled by the Mrs. might be interesting. :banana:

I think it would be better to see it modelled by K's-girl.......:poke:

Sorry K's-girl

BuFu

BlacknGold Bleeder
01-27-2007, 01:51 AM

Sorry K's-girl

BuFu[/QUOTE]

You dissin the Mrs. ??

Hburg
01-27-2007, 01:51 AM
The key is our we a commercial site or fan site. If we do anything that generates revenue then we are commercial. Donations are another story that they really can't count. But as a site owner if I tried to make money off the site my hands are tied as to what I can do for the most part. Even though I own the domain name for this site they can make a case that I am using the Steelers to make money. My intent when I made this site wasn't on making money and still isn't. The donations that come in go into my paypal account which I in turn use to pay for the hosting costs. I did the same with the store.

I mentioned that before that since you do not personally make any money off of this site (any donations and/or revenue from items in the store etc.) would it be possible to get the site listed as a not for profit? You created the site not to make any money but to bring Steeler fans together so I would think that might be possible. I'm not going to insist upon it but if you were open to the idea I would try to help you to get and process the necessary forms to do so. Just let me know what you think.

BuFu

Hburg
01-27-2007, 01:53 AM

Sorry K's-girl

BuFu

You dissin the Mrs. ??

Not at all! But if you have seen K's-girl in her avy you would know why I think she would make a very good model period, let alone if it was for the Steeler Addicts lingerie collection!

BuFu

House of Steel
01-27-2007, 01:55 AM
Oh let's get the Victoria Secret Model Show going, what the hell is it with you sexiest idiots? :lol: J/K. Again, I think K Train would definitely accept this idea knowing his ego. LMAO.

BlacknGold Bleeder
01-27-2007, 01:59 AM
You ain't giving the Mrs. much credit !! Yes Kgirl is definitely appealing but ya never know about the Mrs.!!

House of Steel
01-27-2007, 02:02 AM
What is next a modeling contest? :nono: You guys got some nerves in here. :smh2:

Steelersfan
01-27-2007, 02:06 AM
Well the NFL can't touch that.....lol And I'd have to say the Mrs could hold her own wearing anything (or nothing....lol but you ain't seeing that so lose that idea already!.....lol)

BlacknGold Bleeder
01-27-2007, 02:10 AM
but you ain't seeing that so lose that idea already!.....lol)

Dam now he's a mind reader !!

Steelersfan
01-27-2007, 02:30 AM
It's like one of those top secret things. I could show you but then I'd have to.....well, you know......lol Either that or she'd kill me....lol

BR7
01-27-2007, 02:36 AM
I'll keep my mind away from the gutter, lol.. and say something on topic for once.. lol..

Would changing the .com to .org (non-for-profit, right?) change your status with the NFL?

Steelersfan
01-27-2007, 02:43 AM
That's a good question. Just so everyone knows I am still looking into this. And BuFu, if you have any info you can send me please do so I can take a look at it.
Damn I hate lawyers! But at the same time I can see the NFL's point. There are 1,000's of sites geared to football and they do have a right to protect their revenue. I just don't think this is one of those times.

Hburg
01-27-2007, 02:46 AM
You ain't giving the Mrs. much credit !! Yes Kgirl is definitely appealing but ya never know about the Mrs.!!

You MILF pervert! :poke:

It's like one of those top secret things. I could show you but then I'd have to.....well, you know.....

......buy me a drink? Or an ounce?

Would changing the .com to .org (non-for-profit, right?) change your status with the NFL?

Exactly, that's kinda what my thoughts were.

BuFu

Hburg
01-27-2007, 02:49 AM
That's a good question. Just so everyone knows I am still looking into this. And BuFu, if you have any info you can send me please do so I can take a look at it.
Damn I hate lawyers! But at the same time I can see the NFL's point. There are 1,000's of sites geared to football and they do have a right to protect their revenue. I just don't think this is one of those times.

I'll start asking about it tomorrow, I will get you all the info I can.

BuFu

Steelersfan
01-27-2007, 03:23 AM
Thanks BuFu. Appreciate the help.

Hburg
01-27-2007, 03:35 AM
No problem man, anything to help out the site. I'm trying to figure out a new logo type thing for the site but it is harder to do if you have to completely steer clear of anything that is actually Steelers.

BuFu

Steelx
01-27-2007, 08:15 AM
You ain't giving the Mrs. much credit !! Yes Kgirl is definitely appealing but ya never know about the Mrs.!!I aint seen his wife and not sure if this is the thread we should be talking about this anyway.

Well the NFL can't touch that.....lol And I'd have to say the Mrs could hold her own wearing anything (or nothing....lol but you ain't seeing that so lose that idea already!.....lol)Tell him brother.

All I would like to know is this something I need to worry about when I launch my shop shortly?

BlitzburghRockCity
01-27-2007, 08:47 AM
If your shop uses anything that resembles a trademarked logo of the NFL or any of its teams I'd imagine you're at risk for them giving you a call about it too.

Captcoolhand
01-27-2007, 09:05 AM
What about getting written concent from the NFL:dunno: I'm sure if you wrote them and explain your intent, they might give you the permission to use the Logo on this site:2cents:
I guess this could fall it the same catagory with Cut and paste too huh:dunno:

House of Steel
01-27-2007, 09:50 AM
You can't use the logo for profit, Capt. This same scenario happened at Mac and Wife, with the wife selling Steelers Logo Soap. They got a call and a nice long letter. I heard they was nasty with them about it. I am sure Dan is handling this as best as he can. I think going to SA is going to be a better route to go then the full actual name. This is really irritating.

BlitzburghRockCity
01-27-2007, 09:55 AM
We're currently looking into alternative methods of trying to find ways to use the store and our name so stay tuned...

House of Steel
01-27-2007, 09:57 AM
I can't wait for you guys to solve this and get the NFL's approval. :bigthumb:

MRS Steelerfan
01-28-2007, 08:44 PM
:dunno: BUFU doesn't think I am sexy? My feelings are HURT!! Geesh, well I agree Jessica aka gorJess, or K's-girl is HOTT, but adk Kyle who is number 2 girl is.. I think I can compete-- for an Old lady.. When I was her age I defintely could---

But, really no hard feelings, BuFu you a$$clown...jk

OK back on subject.

House of Steel
01-28-2007, 10:05 PM
Are you implying, Mrs., that you was a hot babe around Jess' age? Whistle. I can see why Dan picked up on your vibes. :bigthumb: