PDA

View Full Version : Hines Ward joining NBC's Sunday Night Football

BlitzburghRockCity
05-31-2012, 03:24 PM
Just got the word from the Post Gazette's Ed Bouchette (http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/hines-ward-to-join-nbc-sports-and-sunday-night-football-broadcast-team-638398/#ixzz1wTclk5uX)...our famous Hines Ward is joining NBC's Football Night in America broadcast team.

It did not take long for Hines Ward to find his way back to the National Football League. NBC Sports announced this afternoon it has hired Ward to work on it's highly rated Football Night in America on Sundays during the season among other projects.

Ward retired from football shortly after the Steelers released him this year and said at the time he was not sure what he would do, but that pursuing a job in the media likely would be one of them. He was among the most popular Steelers during his 14-year career and left as the most productive wide receiver in their history.

His hiring for the NBC football show comes six years after his friend and former teammate, Jerome Bettis, joined Football Night in America shortly after he retired. NBC did not renew Bettis' contract after three years on the show

Ward, though, won't stick with one show. According to an NBC release, the multi-year agreement with Ward will have him contribute to other shows as well as being a studio analyst for college football. He will appear regularly on NBC SportsTalk with Mike Florio and Sports Illustrated's Peter King, an NFL discussion show on NBC Sports Network.

Ward appeared on NBC's Super Bowl pregame show this year."We think Hines is a perfect match for television because he brings with him a unique combination of charisma and football experience, which he demonstrated on our Super Bowl pre-game show from Indianapolis," said Sam Flood, executive producer, NBC Sports and NBC Sports Network, in the news release.

"He's an opinionated personality who can draw upon his 14 years of experience, having excelled at the highest levels of the game. Just don't expect him to dance.""I am really excited. It's not everyday that you get the chance to work for a powerhouse like the NBC Sports Group," said Ward in the release. "It is a big honor for me and I am looking forward to making the most of this great opportunity."

Raleigh Steel
05-31-2012, 03:46 PM
finally, someone worth watching on that team.

LatrobePA
05-31-2012, 04:11 PM
finally, someone worth watching on that team.

No kidding Rodney and Dungy make me sick!

K Train
05-31-2012, 04:14 PM
i like dungy and rodney. dungy does decent breakdowns and harrison is a dick. actually if theres anyone on NBC i didnt like it was bettis

happy for ward, he'll be good in that role. still glad he got cut tho lol

Cricker24
05-31-2012, 04:19 PM
I'll be at the Indy/Pittsburgh preseason game on August 19th, which just so happens to be on NBC!! The only bad thing is, I'm sure Hines will be at their studio in NYC and not actually at the game. Oh well. Hopefully one day I'll get to meet my all-time favorite Steeler!!

Chris :tt02:

BlitzburghRockCity
05-31-2012, 05:29 PM
I don't mind Dungy, I've always had great respect for him. Harrison though, you can take him and move on with life. I'm excited to see how Ward does in this gig. I'm honestly not one for watching many pregame shows but if Ward is on there I'll watch it more often. Same with Cowher, I like him on CBS.

coldrolled
05-31-2012, 05:30 PM
We need to get rid of collinsworth. he is worse than sapp.

LatrobePA
05-31-2012, 05:40 PM
Rodney and Dungy are lucky to have jobs, they stunk up the joint tripping over words, they've gotten better but not by much. Let's hope Hines can do it better!

jpele
05-31-2012, 08:23 PM
I'll bet they're loving this in Baltimore. Ed Reed might find it his new favorite show. :)

BlitzburghRockCity
05-31-2012, 11:14 PM
I'm sure that t shizzle will be watching every weekend too. You know he'll have some smart *** comments.

- From BRC's Droid Bionic of Coolness

gtadroptop
05-31-2012, 11:40 PM
We need to get rid of collinsworth. he is worse than sapp.

Thank you. I just don't care for him.

steelersgal86
06-01-2012, 06:18 AM
HE WILL BE GREAT.....VERY HAPPY FOR HIM

steelchamp204
06-01-2012, 08:45 AM
I dont watch that ****** *** show anyways, I always listen to tunch and the guys pregame show. Nbc is a joke.

MDSteel15
06-01-2012, 09:33 AM
I dont watch that ****** *** show anyways, I always listen to tunch and the guys pregame show. Nbc is a joke.

This is why they are bringing him in! To boost ratings and upgrade their show...

steelersbabex25
06-01-2012, 01:17 PM
I don't mind Dungy at all as a commentator. There's definitely way worse than him.

Secondly, YAYYYYYYYYYYY. I'm so happy that Hines Ward got this. Hopefully he does well.

steelspikes
06-01-2012, 05:54 PM
Expect some fireworks between the ex-Patsie, Rodney Harrison, and Hines.

Black@Gold Forever32
06-01-2012, 07:13 PM

Two of the dirtiest players in the NFL when they played according to NFL players that did those surveys......

BlacknGoldHaze
06-01-2012, 10:44 PM
I hope he does better than Bettis....he seemed like a fish out of water on that show.

gtadroptop
06-02-2012, 10:08 AM

Should be interesting. I believe they have a great professional respect for each other. If nothing else, Hines is one of the few WR who was willing to hit just as hard or harder than Rodney.

gtadroptop
06-02-2012, 10:10 AM
I hope he does better than Bettis....he seemed like a fish out of water on that show.

Sadly, I agree.

BlacknGoldHaze
06-03-2012, 01:51 AM
If nothing else, Hines is one of the few WR who was willing to hit just as hard or harder than Rodney.

:cope:

FeelSteel
06-04-2012, 06:30 AM
I'm happy to hear that for Hines! glad he can still be an active part of the game. He's got a great personality and is a stand up guy. I think He'll do great.