PDA

View Full Version : Secret Superstar: Isaac Redman

jpele
05-29-2012, 11:56 AM
May 28th, 2012 | Author: Nathan Jahnke

The Steelers have been set at the running back position for over a decade with Jerome Bettis, Willie Parker, and most recently, Rashard Mendenhall. In 2011 Mendenhall enjoyed an excellent season, causing 30 players to miss tackles on him on his 228 attempts with just one fumble. The problem for Pittsburgh, though, is part way into the last game of the regular season Mendenhall tore his ACL; an injury that will likely keep him out for at least part of the 2012 season.

Only time will tell. I got your back Isaac.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/05/28/secret-superstar-isaac-redman-rb-pittsburgh-steelers/

ChucktownSteeler
05-29-2012, 12:19 PM
This is Eye-Sacks chance. I am pulling for him until Mendy returns.

K Train
05-29-2012, 12:58 PM
secret superstar LOL

BlitzburghRockCity
05-29-2012, 12:59 PM
I was excited when Redman was going to be the front runner for the starting job this year, and as the season gets closer I'm even more excited. I love the battering ram style and quick feet that Redman utilizes in his game. He avoids the big hit by sliding away from tacklers but still has the power to run over people.

None of us can compare him to Jerome Bettis just yet but his running style sure reminds you of the Bus.

tburg68
05-29-2012, 02:21 PM
Secret Superstar, Mini Bus, blah blah blah.

Here's one Steeler fan rooting for a miraculous recovery for Mendy, or for Dwyer to finally decide to get in shape.

Blazedby92
05-30-2012, 01:15 AM
May not be the a superstar but can get the job done, who needs a RB that is always injured or runs out of bounds "Fast" to keep from getting injured or some Fat lazy RB that some THINK can get the job done get over it he's here to stay for now. And to think the ones that said that Redman wouldn't even sniff the starting lineup, well here you are 2 years and still running.

steelchamp204
05-30-2012, 03:01 AM
Take away them fumbles and he did very well for us last season. Guy is a damn good running back. He never complains either.

TarlsQtr
05-30-2012, 08:36 AM
"Secret superstar" is right up there with our 2012 draft Hall of Famers...

K Train
05-30-2012, 09:17 AM
Take away them fumbles and he did very well for us last season. Guy is a damn good running back. He never complains either.
what the hell does he have to complain about? he gets way more carries than he deserves

LatrobePA
05-30-2012, 10:10 AM
Secret no body!

cbrunn
05-30-2012, 11:33 AM
I'm secretly rooting for Dwyer to win the RB battle ....

BlitzburghRockCity
05-30-2012, 03:48 PM
I hope Redman shows up to camp in shape this year and gets off to a good start. I would love to see a 1-2 punch of Redman and Dwyer just pound the unholy hell out of defenses. Seriously setting up play action with that type of punishing run game.

steelchamp204
05-31-2012, 01:13 AM
what the hell does he have to complain about? he gets way more carries than he deserves

I still dont understand why you dislike him so much, explain how he gets more carries than he deserves train. I mean really? Quit being a hater :bigthumb:

Blazedby92
05-31-2012, 01:47 AM
I hope Redman shows up to camp in shape this year and gets off to a good start. I would love to see a 1-2 punch of Redman and Dwyer just pound the unholy hell out of defenses. Seriously setting up play action with that type of punishing run game.

Me too, Dywer panning out would just be icing on the cake for us this year cause as much as I like #33 I don't think he can carry the whole load, but if not Dywer someone has too!

steelchamp204
05-31-2012, 03:29 AM
If it isnt going to be Redman which I dont think it will be. Id like to see Clay get some more carries this year also. I was so pumped lastyear when he finally got to play. Whoever it is Im sure will do fine.

K Train
05-31-2012, 09:30 AM
I still dont understand why you dislike him so much, explain how he gets more carries than he deserves train. I mean really? Quit being a hater :bigthumb:
all from his rookie year being a training camp hero. hes really painfully average but he gets soooo much love because he "runs hard" and apparently steeler fans need that to be happy.

at BEST hes a good 3rd down option, his best attribute is his balance which ill give credit when credit is due....is sensational. Hes a solid pass blocker, and a good receiver and a decent short yardage runner...thats a 3rd down back

i wish they would just end the redman experiement already, having him as our #1 back is just gonna be brutal to watch. Clay imo has no shot....theres stiff competition for RB roster spots. Im interested in seeing rainey/batch battle it out and if dwyer is gonna make anything out of himself

jpele
05-31-2012, 11:10 AM

You'll have to excuse K Train, he hates everyone that wasn't one of his draft picks. :)

K Train
05-31-2012, 11:18 AM
You'll have to excuse K Train, he hates everyone that wasn't one of his draft picks. :)
thats not true, i just hate painfully average players that get overhyped because he is certainly that next "gem" player.

but i also hate how the same people that LOVVVEEEEEE redman so much think wallace (an actually talented player) is expendable and the antichrist for a contract dispute. But at least we'll never have to worry about redman holding out, as hes lucky to have a roster spot at all.

if redman is the guy all year, the steelers will have a legit bottom 5 rushing attack, at least ^^^ these people have haley to blame for that

Blazedby92
06-01-2012, 12:51 AM

Oh so True, said that last year

K Train
06-01-2012, 09:16 AM
Oh so True, said that last year

its hard to not like your draft picks when your usually spot on right :-)

I know what your referring too, Sweed, Hood, and Redman. Im not shy about how much i loved sweed or how much he broke my heart and i hope i never have to go through an evander hood pick again, that was a bad time in my life lol

jpele
06-01-2012, 09:47 AM
First off anyone that puts on a Steeler jersey gets my blessing just for making the team and I don't care who it is I hope they can be the best at their position.

That said I don't understand the hate for Redman and the love for Mendenhall, I know stats can be misleading but everytime Isaac touches the ball he outperforms Mendy although on limited attempts.

Before I say he can't do the job I want to see it on the field:

Mendenhall 15 starts 2 100 yard games
Redman 1 start 1 - 100 yard game

Mendenhall got hurt against Cleveland ,Redman finished the game with 92 yards on 19 carries.

Against common opponents with good rush defense:

Balt : Redman 2.35 yrd 6 carries
.........Mendy 3.9 yrd 25 carries

Houston: Redman 6.7 yrd 6 carries
.............. Mendy 2.8 yrd 9 carries

Against poor rush defense:

K.C. Redman 7.3 on 3 att
............Mendy 3.4 on 17

Cleveland Redman 5.3 on 25 att
...............Mendy 4.5 on 26 att

So if Redman is average at best what does this say about Mendenhall ??

K Train
06-01-2012, 09:58 AM
First off anyone that puts on a Steeler jersey gets my blessing just for making the team and I don't care who it is I hope they can be the best at their position.

That said I don't understand the hate for Redman and the love for Mendenhall, I know stats can be misleading but everytime Isaac touches the ball he outperforms Mendy although on limited attempts.

Before I say he can't do the job I want to see it on the field:

Mendenhall 15 starts 2 100 yard games
Redman 1 start 1 - 100 yard game

Mendenhall got hurt against Cleveland ,Redman finished the game with 92 yards on 19 carries.

Against common opponents with good rush defense:

Balt : Redman 2.35 yrd 6 carries
.........Mendy 3.9 yrd 25 carries

Houston: Redman 6.7 yrd 6 carries
.............. Mendy 2.8 yrd 9 carries

Against poor rush defense:

K.C. Redman 7.3 on 3 att
............Mendy 3.4 on 17

Cleveland Redman 5.3 on 25 att
...............Mendy 4.5 on 26 att

So if Redman is average at best what does this say about Mendenhall ??
its a tough argument to make for either side, the scenerio in which they play is totally different. Mendenhall has been a top 5 rusher in the league for a good majority of some seasons. 2010 mendenhall had 1300 yards and 13 TDs, thats quality production despite a somewhat low average but he really had terrible blockers in front of him besides the rookie sensation pouncey and old man flo (who really was always a dominant run blocker). Im not saying mendenhall is Peterson, hes not...wed love him to be but hes not. He needs help, help that hes never had with guys like hartwig, stapleton, essex, legursky...ect blocking for him on the interior. I agree with the assesment that he doesnt always hit the hole with conviction but he really had DTs in his face any time he tries to run up the middle. He always excelled running behind colon and flo to the right though, id LOVE to see what he can do with a pouncey/decastro interior and a non arians 3 TE run set which was sooooooooooo predictable. Mendenhall is a fast and powerful runner, weve seen that from him and i know you guys mostly hate his spin but it does cut down his hits and it does usually make for a few extra yards. I just hope hes not done, and if he is i hope they either go after jonathan stewart (who would be a world beater in this offense) or draft montee ball or something next year.

i really hope redman doesnt have to be the guy, at least for long...i have very little faith in him to hold up and maintain a quality run game. I dont mind him as a short yardage guy, he is excellent in that role.

im on team dwyer right now but i am having doubts....i hope he can get into shape, its gotta be do or die for him

ChucktownSteeler
06-01-2012, 12:39 PM
Let's get a decent O-line before we compare the RBs. I tip my hat to all of them for running behind this make-shift line the past 3 or 4 seasons.

C-town

steelersbabex25
06-01-2012, 01:13 PM
How did I know that K Train would be a frequent poster on this thread :rofl:

I've been a Redman supporter from the start. Mendenhall, after his first starting season, has always been pretty unimpressive to me. It's beating a dead horse, but he dances too much, and loses yardage too much. I'd rather have a RB like Redman who can gain yards on every carry than a RB like Mendenhall that will lose yards, lose yards, lose yards, and then get one decent gain.

I guess we'll see this season when Redman gets most of the carries. Although I'm sure he can do well and he'll still have a ton of doubters.

K Train
06-01-2012, 01:27 PM
i mean clearly i could talk about why redman is a terrible starting RB all day long lol

you act like mendenhall is reggie bush the way he loses yards, thats just not the case. redman might fight for that extra yard, but he is SO SLOW from handoff to line of scrimmage that that extra yard ends up being a total of 3. his YPC technically isnt bad, but he wont hold up :markit:

steelersbabex25
06-01-2012, 01:30 PM
Would you rather have +3, +3, +3, +3

Or -1, -1, -1, +8

K Train
06-01-2012, 01:38 PM
Would you rather have +3, +3, +3, +3

Or -1, -1, -1, +8
thats dumb, mendenhall doesnt lose yards that much and has easily gotta 3YPC over his career i think hes something like 4.2 with something like 700 more carries. redmans 3 career touchdowns are mind blowing though, how he stuck around not on a roster the year he was cut ill never know, you act like redman epitomizes consistency. its funny that one down year and injury mendenhall becomes a nobody like he has no business in the NFL, just like a hold out and wallace turns into an expendable 3rd option at WR.

i just hope haley has some air magic planned and keeps his expectations for the running game at a low level. ideally we get redman/dwyer and either batch/rainey all involved to have the most painfully average crop of RBs but mix it up enough to **** teams off

steelersbabex25
06-01-2012, 01:49 PM
I don't think Mendenhall is a nobody. He may do very well on some team. I just don't think he's a particularly good fit for the Steelers.

K Train
06-01-2012, 01:51 PM
up until this point i would agree. Out of illinois he was looked at as having good vision and excellent hands...weve never seen him be a focal point of the passing game and weve never seen him with an interior line in the same universe as colon/pouncey/decastro. I just hope they bring him back and give him a shot in this offense, otherwise his tenure here will get chalked up as an unfortunate waste of what could have been

LatrobePA
06-01-2012, 02:33 PM
He torched the Buckeyes... I do remember that game!!

tburg68
06-01-2012, 04:13 PM
I seriously don't know how there can be a continual argument comparing Mendenhall to Redman. There is NO comparison. Mendenhall is 3 times the back that Redman is, and 4 times on Sunday.

Steelers fans who love to see the "Steeler type Bus running back" are the only people on earth who could possibly make the argument that Redman is better or even in the same sentence with Mendenhall.

The rest of the football world would have to be busting up laughing that someone would try to make this argument.

ChucktownSteeler
06-01-2012, 05:03 PM
Hard not to pull for a guy like Eye-sack, but let's see what he does week in and week out. He had a nice game against Cleveland (Cleveland) and also has had some fumbles as well.

I hope we get an extended look at him and not have to rush Mendy back.

C-town

BlitzburghRockCity
06-02-2012, 08:12 AM
`The only reason we can say that Mendenhall is better than Redman is because we've seen a lot more of Mendy, a lot more! If the roles were reversed perhaps things would be different, perhaps not. Neither player has ever had the chance to run behind a truly good offensive line so this year will hopefully tell us a lot about each one. We'll definitely learn if Redman is all that he feels he's cracked up to be and Mendy, well it all depends on his recovery.

They are two completely different backs with different skill sets that in theory could compliment each other nicely if BA had ever used them the way they should have been used.

Blazedby92
06-04-2012, 12:54 AM
its hard to not like your draft picks when your usually spot on right :-)

I know what your referring too, Sweed, Hood, and Redman. Im not shy about how much i loved sweed or how much he broke my heart and i hope i never have to go through an evander hood pick again, that was a bad time in my life lol

Always nice to know you remember those but I'm talking about most of "your" opinions of draft picks, I'm not going to argue about players because one I've be spot on more than you'll ever be and not cause i'm just some so called wannabe pro scout that you claim but i'll say more of an out the box, in perspective Steeler fan.

Which makes me wonder why your a Steeler fan? Is it because we are always winning or on top, have 6 lombardi's or what because you don't have any of the thinking of a Steeler fan. You are always looking for that FLASHY player as a Steeler fan it's Blue Collar, Hard nose, Hard work, no nonsense but your thinking leans the other 31 teams thinking, Flashy,money players, "just win baby" kind of thinking.
This organization has done well for it self long before you were around and will continue even with your BS thinking in a forum,LOL.
Please name your spot on draft picks cause I can't seen to remember??

Last I heard Raiders have a need for a "fan" or hey what about GM "Just win Baby, with speed" cause if I remember didn't you say you would like some Heyward Bey another of your Flashy picks that you wanted that doesn't factor in as a good player.
Oh and not long ago you even said for yourself that Steelers probably won't even sign Mendy to a new deal before his injury, Hmmmmmmmmm!! I guess we will just use him til the "wheels fall off" BINGO!!! One right for the K Train, big gold star you got it right cause apparently he isn't as good as the K is speaking. Mendy is fast and can spin right out of bounds, he is a first round back so let's use him for what we have in him so what, bye bye Mendy.
Here's a question for you, Name me SB teams that had a Badass RB, not many at all, you want to know why cause RB's are a dime a dozen and all you need is a CONSISTENT RB, hard working, nose for the endzone, BLUE COLLAR and that is what Redman represents, yes I know he isn't a Badass but a hell of alot better than Mendy even with being what you call is slow which is a whole .31 tenths of a second slower than Mendy or for you I will say .31 faster than Redman.
Your scrapping the barrel with those speed comments.

STEELER FANS ROOT FOR THE TEAM NOT SELF PROCLAIMED FAME IN WHO YOU LIKE AS A PLAYER OR IF YOUR MIGHT BE WRONG WITH YOUR OPINION OF PLAYERS.

coldrolled
06-04-2012, 08:08 AM
Dwyer at Georgia before the draft... A well trained RB...

Georgia Tech's Jonathan Dwyer has run to the head of the pack for running backs, says NationalFootballPost.com. Georgia Tech’s latest surge has done more than just elevate the Yellow Jackets to the No. 7 team in the country. It has raised Jonathan Dwyer to the No. 8 draft-eligible player in the nation, at least according to one scouting website. In his “Super 30″ rankings updated this week, Wes Bunting of NationalFootballPost.

K Train
06-04-2012, 09:31 AM
Always nice to know you remember those but I'm talking about most of "your" opinions of draft picks, I'm not going to argue about players because one I've be spot on more than you'll ever be and not cause i'm just some so called wannabe pro scout that you claim but i'll say more of an out the box, in perspective Steeler fan.

Which makes me wonder why your a Steeler fan? Is it because we are always winning or on top, have 6 lombardi's or what because you don't have any of the thinking of a Steeler fan. You are always looking for that FLASHY player as a Steeler fan it's Blue Collar, Hard nose, Hard work, no nonsense but your thinking leans the other 31 teams thinking, Flashy,money players, "just win baby" kind of thinking.
This organization has done well for it self long before you were around and will continue even with your BS thinking in a forum,LOL.
Please name your spot on draft picks cause I can't seen to remember??

Last I heard Raiders have a need for a "fan" or hey what about GM "Just win Baby, with speed" cause if I remember didn't you say you would like some Heyward Bey another of your Flashy picks that you wanted that doesn't factor in as a good player.
Oh and not long ago you even said for yourself that Steelers probably won't even sign Mendy to a new deal before his injury, Hmmmmmmmmm!! I guess we will just use him til the "wheels fall off" BINGO!!! One right for the K Train, big gold star you got it right cause apparently he isn't as good as the K is speaking. Mendy is fast and can spin right out of bounds, he is a first round back so let's use him for what we have in him so what, bye bye Mendy.
Here's a question for you, Name me SB teams that had a Badass RB, not many at all, you want to know why cause RB's are a dime a dozen and all you need is a CONSISTENT RB, hard working, nose for the endzone, BLUE COLLAR and that is what Redman represents, yes I know he isn't a Badass but a hell of alot better than Mendy even with being what you call is slow which is a whole .31 tenths of a second slower than Mendy or for you I will say .31 faster than Redman.
Your scrapping the barrel with those speed comments.

STEELER FANS ROOT FOR THE TEAM NOT SELF PROCLAIMED FAME IN WHO YOU LIKE AS A PLAYER OR IF YOUR MIGHT BE WRONG WITH YOUR OPINION OF PLAYERS.

I only like flashy because i like mike wallace (a draft pick i will openly say i was wrong about, hated that pick along with every other pick in that terrible draft) and mendenhall? Right, sure. You act like i just want the steelers to bring in workout warriors but really i had pouncey, heyward, brown, gilbert, adams, and taamu all pegged to the steelers the last 3 years and im PRETTY sure not one of them constitutes as a "flashy" player. And youre correct i didnt think the steelers would resign mendenhall pre injury, but post injury drives his price down and massive upgrades to the interior oline drives his value to the team way up.

Redman is dismally slow, especially from the backfield to the LOS, it has nothing to do with 40 times. I do root for the team, but they do make dumb moves just like every team and they CAN be criticized, you have no right to question my fan hood just because im not blind and live by omg the rooneyzzzz are tha greatestttt. You can just blindly stare at the team and think they are the forever best like the rest of the homers. Its funny you say i self proclaim myself things but you pretty much just suggested you are the authority on what makes a steeler fan, when really you are just the prototype of a blind ignorant homer. Nothing wrong with that, id imagine the majority of your "blue collar, hard working, no nonsense, rah rah steelers are the best, 6 rings, rooney we trust, smashmouth steeler football" fans are just like you.

Redman is terrible, youll see that this season if hes asked to carry the load...but i imagine your gonna blame haley for that if that happens cause redman can do no wrong...haley might be too "flashy" for you lol.

no need to get all butt hurt on an internet forum, by all means block me if you want to hear what i have to say, i assure you i wont be losing any sleep over that

ChucktownSteeler
06-04-2012, 12:07 PM
Once Mendy is back I would still love to see more of the "pony" backfield with Redman and Mendy. What little I saw to me it seemed awesome. Reminded me of days gone by of "Mr. Inside, Mr. Outside". Gives opposing defenses fits.

C-town

Blazedby92
06-04-2012, 01:23 PM
One thing you wished the Steelers would pick those picks it wasn't you going I know they will pick them as if Kevin Colbert called you and said thanks for the info we will go by your draft board, and you told everybody exactly what we already knew that those FEW picks were good. LOL Adams told the front office if they pick him he would go by there terms so another self proclaimed "I picked him" plus those picks you claimed that you picked for the Steelers we all no brainers anyways other than maybe Brown.

I never said Redman could carry the load, go back in this thread and you will see, I said before Mendy is a compliment to Redman and neither can be the 3 down back you claim Mendy is, so yes we need another back to compliment Redman now. I will say this though you have been wrong for 3 years now about Redman let's see what did you say oh He will NEVER sniff the a roster spot, he is too slow and best of all he will NEVER start Hahahahahahahahahhhahaha!!!
And by the way this never gets old "Take my word for it Sweed will be a BADASS for the Steelers or someother team" Bwhahahahahaha!!

All you know about players is what they have done in college cause you have been wrong most the time when they make it to the pros and can't think outside the box on hidden talent becasue they weren't drafted in the first 3 rounds or they wasn't your and The Steelers obvious picks. And when someone disagrees with the Bandwagon fan that you are we are all HOMERS another scraping of the bottom of the barrel to talk smack. We are talking about RB not how I think the Rooneys are the best.

So please tell me ANY draft picks that noone else knew about that you said would be good cause you haven't answered the question yet,Please.

steelchamp204
06-04-2012, 01:44 PM
Kain, if Redman had that cute spin move, would you like him then? I respect your opinion but we arent looking for Redman to be a "gem" we just look for him to produce which he will do if healthy this year. Mark it down. We should make a bet of some sort, if Redman does well this year you have to uy a redman jersey, if he doesnt do well this year, I have to buy a mendenhall jersey lol

K Train
06-04-2012, 01:55 PM
One thing you wished the Steelers would pick those picks it wasn't you going I know they will pick them as if Kevin Colbert called you and said thanks for the info we will go by your draft board, and you told everybody exactly what we already knew that those FEW picks were good. LOL Adams told the front office if they pick him he would go by there terms so another self proclaimed "I picked him" plus those picks you claimed that you picked for the Steelers we all no brainers anyways other than maybe Brown.

I never said Redman could carry the load, go back in this thread and you will see, I said before Mendy is a compliment to Redman and neither can be the 3 down back you claim Mendy is, so yes we need another back to compliment Redman now. I will say this though you have been wrong for 3 years now about Redman let's see what did you say oh He will NEVER sniff the a roster spot, he is too slow and best of all he will NEVER start Hahahahahahahahahhhahaha!!!
And by the way this never gets old "Take my word for it Sweed will be a BADASS for the Steelers or someother team" Bwhahahahahaha!!

All you know about players is what they have done in college cause you have been wrong most the time when they make it to the pros and can't think outside the box on hidden talent becasue they weren't drafted in the first 3 rounds or they wasn't your and The Steelers obvious picks. And when someone disagrees with the Bandwagon fan that you are we are all HOMERS another scraping of the bottom of the barrel to talk smack. We are talking about RB not how I think the Rooneys are the best.

So please tell me ANY draft picks that noone else knew about that you said would be good cause you haven't answered the question yet,Please.
that no one else knew about? why does no one else have to know about them for me to be right about them? some guys flop, i loved the sweed pick so much, i really thought he was going to be great and he flopped. sucks but thats life. I had sepulveda pegged to the steelers in the 4th, i thought he was gonna be great and for a while he was...injuries led to him overall being a flop. Many steeler fans had adams written off because he smoked weed, i was very sure if he was there in the second that they would take him. I was very right about bruce davis, urbik, shipley, summers, and stephenson being terrible picks, none held a roster spot for more than a year. I was also right about them taking thaddeus gibson, he didnt make it but they gave him a chance and thats all i predicted...thought he could have been a great outside guy or even an inside guy in the mold of karlos dansby...raw player and was a victim of a numbers game. I also really really like doug legursky as a late round round/priorty FA and hes still on the roster, and i think hes a pretty awful starter but a quality player in the role hes in now....i dont get why kevin colbert has to call me for me to be right about a lot of things, espeically drafting and roster moves.

i dont get what the **** else you can go off of other than what a player did in college/offseason draft prep...thats literally what projections are build on. They dont have to be drafted in the first 3 rounds, thats a retarded statement, ive never once indicated that i believe that

i dont need your approval or for you to give me credit for anything, your personal vendetta against me in curious but whatever you can think what you want. I do not like redman at all, i never have, and i probably never will. Im sorry if that offends you but i have pages and pages why i dont and i dont think im being irrational about it i just dont think hes a starter quality. i hope like hell he dominates, i just dont think he can and i hope the redman experiment is over sooner rather than later. And im not sure how ive been wrong, hes been cut and been a backup, has 3 career TDs and is pegged as a "starter" because he might be the most less than average of all pretty bad or unknown RBs on the roster right now.

id say i have an opinion on about 85% of the players that get drafted, and id say on all of those i have an opinion on how they are going to fit if the steelers took them. I didnt really think sean spence is a great fit, i didnt think theyd be on their radar because of that, but i absoutely love the pick and what they are trying to do with it.

you keep telling me im scrapping at the barrell, but you keep acting like a child with the ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahs and referencing that sweed didnt turn out to be good. But youre right, you must always be right because you say so. the true authority on steeler fandom, lol. Yove failed to give anything in your posts except that you dont like me or my opinions, they may be a little more radical than your average fans but they are also not blind just because i love the team

K Train
06-04-2012, 01:58 PM
Kain, if Redman had that cute spin move, would you like him then? I respect your opinion but we arent looking for Redman to be a "gem" we just look for him to produce which he will do if healthy this year. Mark it down. We should make a bet of some sort, if Redman does well this year you have to uy a redman jersey, if he doesnt do well this year, I have to buy a mendenhall jersey lol

i dont like mendenhalls spin move, i just think its dumb to crucify him for his running style because its not similar to jerome bettis. i dont mind the spin, not particularly in love with it.

and lol a redman jersey, theres a reason they probably dont even make those. im down for a bet though, lets define "doing well"

BubbyBlister
06-04-2012, 09:20 PM
Redman is more of a complimentary back then a full time starter and kinda reminds me of a Brandon Jacobs and Marion Barber type. Hits the hole fast then fights for every additional yard. Given the chance to be a starter I think he will do just fine for a season or most of the season. Long term starter no cause those type backs take to much abuse cause of there hard style running. LeGarrette Blount for Tampa is a long those lines also and great complimentary rb and better used splitting time.

As for Mendy don't care much for his dancing and mostly only affective running on the right side of the line but sadly he seem to run with authority the later part of the season and then the injury happen. Batch hopefully healthy is the one I'm excited about and want to see him fight for the 3rd down back rule. As for Redman only having 3 tds sorry but not his fault and was never really given the chance to be the goaline back. Had he been given the chance think he would have done just fine. By the way they do make his shirts and seen a few people wearing in my neck of the woods last season.

Blazedby92
06-05-2012, 12:24 AM
K, By the way this is in no way me not liking you cause one I don't know you personally, man this is just a forum, a place for opinions and yes some of your opions are well let's just say unreasonable when facts are looking you in the face, that's why I am trying to see what your thinking is, heck that's why I joined this forum to find out info that I would never beable to get where I live and there are threads you make sense. We have a good part time back in Redman and then you miss all the facts, I just think once you start hating or loving a player you never see the other way a guess "hard headed". I'm sure there will be threads I agree with you but this one i'm done, don't want to hurt your feelings no more, so talk at you in another thread

BubbyBlister
06-05-2012, 02:54 AM
Get a room you two! Serious it's all good and this happens at times on message boards but heck we are all Steeler fans here so we got that in common.

greennick
06-05-2012, 03:33 AM
I'm secretly rooting for Dwyer to win the RB battle ....

You're not very good at keeping secrets, are you??

FeelSteel
06-05-2012, 06:36 AM
To me it doesn't matter who the starting running back is. I just hope whoever it is will be productive. Redman has an opportunity to show he can be a starter in this league, let's see if you rises to the occasion.

BubbyBlister
06-05-2012, 04:19 PM
Anyhow screw Ktrain he is a attention hoe but do think he is right now and then but him thinking Redman is worthless just shows he ain't that bright.

Real Deal Steel
06-05-2012, 06:29 PM
It's no secret that I've been beating the Dwyer bandwagon for a while now. But to say Redman is worthless is reeeeaaally going overboard.

Redman is a tough runner. And I appreciate it. And I think that with the improved O-line, what we will see from Redman will be better then what we saw at the end of last season.

But......with that said...we saw Dwyer hit the hole and take his first carry 60 yards. So imagine how much more productive he'll be with the new O-line and a full camp too?

Either way, I'm sure our running game is going to be much improved. I don't want either runningback moved from this team. We need both because it's a long season.

The Lakelander
06-05-2012, 07:31 PM
I've been firmly entrenched in the Redman is better than Mendenhall camp all along ... in fact ... I may have invented that camp ... back in Redman's rookie season over at SteelersFever ... :lol:

Redman, to my knowledge, has had exactly one start for the Steelers ... you just can't gauge the guy at this time based on that ... Mendenhall is an enigma ... all that "talent" ... all that "speed" ... all that "power" ... none of the "greatness" that all those traits should lead to ...

I'll be the first to STFU if Redman sputters ... I'll eat my crow willingly ... but I'm guessing that opposing defenses won't be all too excited to play the Pittsburgh Steelers early in 2012 as they look into the backfield and see Isaac Redman "dotting the I" or "riding the sidecar left" ... Redman is a BEAST!

tburg68
06-05-2012, 07:35 PM
Anyone saying that Redman is as good, let alone better, than Mendenhall, must me a member of the Stevie Wonder visionary club.

If Redman has to carry a full load, he will fail miserably.

ChucktownSteeler
06-05-2012, 07:36 PM
I've been firmly entrenched in the Redman is better than Mendenhall camp all along ... in fact ... I may have invented that camp ... back in Redman's rookie season over at SteelersFever ... :lol:

Redman, to my knowledge, has had exactly one start for the Steelers ... you just can't gauge the guy at this time based on that ... Mendenhall is an enigma ... all that "talent" ... all that "speed" ... all that "power" ... none of the "greatness" that all those traits should lead to ...

I'll be the first to STFU if Redman sputters ... I'll eat my crow willingly ... but I'm guessing that opposing defenses won't be all too excited to play the Pittsburgh Steelers early in 2012 as they look into the backfield and see Isaac Redman "dotting the I" or "riding the sidecar left" ... Redman is a BEAST!

I will attest to the fact Lakey was the first to spot Redman and beat the drum endlessly. He was spot-on.

C-town

ChucktownSteeler
06-05-2012, 07:39 PM
Anyone saying that Redman is as good, let alone better, than Mendenhall, must me a member of the Stevie Wonder visionary club.

I don't think so. Will Redman make anyone forget the "Bus"? No, probably not. But, all in all, I don't mind having him on the team and say he is going to fill in admirably until Mendy gets back. If he starts all 16 games, he gets between 1,200 to 1,300 tough, tough yards. Redman is the type of back that wears the opposition down. A true gamer, classic overachiever. A very good back to have on your team.

C-town

SnakeEyes43
06-05-2012, 08:51 PM

By "full load" do you mean a full season? Because Redman has looked pretty good anytime we have needed him to step up. He has yet to disappoint, so how can you say he'll fail miserably? This baffles me. Anyway, no he won't, he'll do fine, watch it.

BubbyBlister
06-05-2012, 10:40 PM
Hate to beak it to some of you but the Bus wasn't all that in some of his last years. Dang they tried to replace him with Huntley and Amos Z. Willie Parker brought the bus back with the one two punch of speed and power.

BubbyBlister
06-05-2012, 11:11 PM
There was times when the fat load was lucky to stumble for a yard even behind a decent line. To his defense he had Kordell I wanna be a Qb then. Sorry but Duece and Willie Parker is what gave Bettis a new life and he was no longer a every down back.

K Train
06-06-2012, 09:13 AM
Anyhow screw Ktrain he is a attention hoe but do think he is right now and then but him thinking Redman is worthless just shows he ain't that bright.
lol i dont need your attention, worthless isnt what i think anyway....just less than average at everything except balance and short yardage. he has a role on the team, being the starting RB is not it

im pretty confident theres no team out there fearing issac redman

There was times when the fat load was lucky to stumble for a yard even behind a decent line. To his defense he had Kordell I wanna be a Qb then. Sorry but Duece and Willie Parker is what gave Bettis a new life and he was no longer a every down back.
man duce was such a beast his first year here. Remember the one game he had like 150 yards rushing and bettis had 3 TDs for a total of 1 yard lol

anyway, the more i think about it the more i think batch and/or rainey are going to get opportunities. Haley used backs like them in Stephens-howling and mccluster pretty effectively. When its all said and done the interior line might be so good that any of them could get 4 yards...the packages are definitely going to be interesting with such a diverse group of no name RBs

BubbyBlister
06-06-2012, 01:12 PM
lol i dont need your attention, worthless isnt what i think anyway....just less than average at everything except balance and short yardage. he has a role on the team, being the starting RB is not it

im pretty confident theres no team out there fearing issac redman

man duce was such a beast his first year here. Remember the one game he had like 150 yards rushing and bettis had 3 TDs for a total of 1 yard lol

anyway, the more i think about it the more i think batch and/or rainey are going to get opportunities. Haley used backs like them in Stephens-howling and mccluster pretty effectively. When its all said and done the interior line might be so good that any of them could get 4 yards...the packages are definitely going to be interesting with such a diverse group of no name RBs It is kinda nice in a way that some of the younger backs will get more opportunities since Mendy got hurt. I like what we have at rb and will be interesting when Mendy does come back.

Blazedby92
06-07-2012, 01:11 AM

Steelersfever, What's that?? Redman was around before april 2012, LOL
Redman is good but come on you put yourself out there just so you can say I told you so, yes I think he can get the job done but he needs help.

coldrolled
06-07-2012, 08:54 AM
Willie Parker brought the bus back with the one two punch of speed and power.

Kinda like Redman and Rainey now..... Haley will dial that up..

K Train
06-07-2012, 08:58 AM
the more i watch of rainey the more he reminds me of warrick dunn

The Lakelander
06-07-2012, 06:31 PM
Steelersfever, What's that?? Redman was around before april 2012, LOL
Redman is good but come on you put yourself out there just so you can say I told you so, yes I think he can get the job done but he needs help.

Those who know me on these various chat boards know I've been high on Redman since his rookie season ... I hate when someone who doesn't know me for jack makes these kinds of insinuations ... "you put yourself out there just so you can say I told you so" ... WTF? ... There's so many topics on these boards that I have contributed to over the years that I could say "I told you so" about any matter I ever added my two cents to ... are you really this shallow to think that's my ambition?

BlitzburghRockCity
06-08-2012, 11:29 AM
Power backs like Bettis can't run forever, they eventually slow down. Bettis needed a compliment in his final years because he was just flat out running out of gas. That's not a knock on him, just happens to everyone. Plus as time went on they moved away, or tried too, from a run focused offense and that made Bettis less effective. Those big guys need a lot of carries early to get into the flow of the game and soften up the defense.

Redman is still an unknown that I can't say he's going to fail when called upon in a full time role. I'm confident that he won't flop but only time will tell if he'll be that 1400 yd rusher you want him to be consistently. He's as motivated as anybody to show what he's got. That small school chip on his shoulder drives him to be good. The thing about him is that he doesn't need a good line to be successful, whereas Mendenhall does. If you give them both good blockers then I love the potential.

tburg68
06-08-2012, 04:42 PM
If Redman is the starter he will be replaced at some point during the season, or have his carries per game reduces to much less than typical starter numbers. Short yardage and spot duty situations he can handle. As the feature back that defenses game plan for, he will fail. Wouldn't be surprised to see him have fumble issues also.

I don't hate Redman, and am not rooting for him to lose. If he proves me wrong, I'm fine with it because it's more success for the Steelers. Just because someone gives an honest opinion based on the talent of a player, doesn't mean they are rooting against said player. I just don't believe he has the talent and ability to be a fulltime starter in the NFL.

Steelersfan
06-08-2012, 06:38 PM
Cant believe people are comparing Redman to Bettis. Sorry, loved the bus and there will be only one.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

BlitzburghRockCity
06-12-2012, 08:41 AM
None of us can compare Redman to The Bus just yet, that wouldn't be right. I think his, Redman, running style though gives you flashbacks to Bettis. The quick feet, power running style, short yardage specialist that Bettis was lends itself to some comparison's in that respect.

If Redman turns out to have half the career that JB had he'll be a success.

K Train
06-12-2012, 08:49 AM
bettis was freakishly special, out of ND he wasnt the fat back we all remember him as, he was lean and beastly with some of the sweetest feet for a RB ive ever seen, not just a big power back...ANY back

i dont even like bettis anymore, the way he kinda always bashed the steelers as he tanked his own broadcasting career, but even despite that mentioning redman in the same sentence with him is an insult to one of the better steeler offensive players ever

The Lakelander
06-12-2012, 09:06 AM
up until this point i would agree. Out of illinois he was looked at as having good vision and excellent hands...weve never seen him be a focal point of the passing game and weve never seen him with an interior line in the same universe as colon/pouncey/decastro. I just hope they bring him back and give him a shot in this offense, otherwise his tenure here will get chalked up as an unfortunate waste of what could have been

Redman gets to silence his critics once and for all this season ...

In college Redman was a freak ... (just look at his game tapes) ... but the knock on him is that he played in a no-name small school program ...

In the NFL, that no-name small school RB has played at a higher level (the stats don't lie) than the 1st Round draft pick out of the Big Ten ...

Both RB's took a leap into the far superior NFL pool of talent ... which RB had longer odds? ... which RB had a farther climb to match the level of NFL talent they'd be facing? ...

Redman is not "painfully average" ... if anything, he's "painfully underutilized" ... at the expense of a 1st Rounder (who has got every chance to play due to his high round draft status) ...

Redman gets his chance to silence all the doubters and his many critics in 2012 ...

K Train
06-12-2012, 09:17 AM
Redman gets to silence his critics once and for all this season ...

In college Redman was a freak ... (just look at his game tapes) ... but the knock on him is that he played in a no-name small school program ...

In the NFL, that no-name small school RB has played at a higher level (the stats don't lie) than the 1st Round draft pick out of the Big Ten ...

Both RB's took a leap into the far superior NFL pool of talent ... which RB had longer odds? ... which RB had a farther climb to match the level of NFL talent they'd be facing? ...

Redman is not "painfully average" ... if anything, he's "painfully underutilized" ... at the expense of a 1st Rounder (who has got every chance to play due to his high round draft status) ...

Redman gets his chance to silence all the doubters and his many critics in 2012 ...
redman is very average, and being a freak at bowie state means next to nothing, he was a man among what look like small children in that conference (CIAA? i think?). Danny Woodhead was a freak, frank summers was a freak, nate iiola was a freak, garrett wolfe was a freak runner.....all are nobodies.

if the stats dont lie, mendenhall wins this in a blowout, so i think you are insinuating the stats are lying. its really gonna hurt to see the steelers rush for 50 yards a game the first half of the year if redman is asked to be the guy. i dont get the disappointment everyone has in mendenhall. he didnt have a great year but running behind that line nobody would have and he was coming off a terrific year where he didnt exactly have to beat redman away with a stick

cbrunn
06-12-2012, 10:19 AM
mendenhall killed my fantasy team last year ... lol ....

but it's obvious mendenhall is the better back ... his only thing is he kind of reminds me of the big ben of running backs ... instead of just getting to the hole and taking 3 yards ... he looks for the big play ... but also there wasn't any holes last year it was horrible

The Lakelander
06-12-2012, 11:35 AM
For a team with so much talent at wide receiver, Pittsburgh is talking about leaning on a running game with little depth at the position until Mendenhall returns. Redman says he's ready, and he better be.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d829b1868/article/isaac-redman-ready-to-take-over-at-rb-for-steelers

Redman is going to take the NFL by storm in 2012! ... He's going to carry the Steelers on his back ... because HE CAN! ... :imho:

steelcitysfinestXL
06-12-2012, 12:05 PM
I hope you're all right about Redman... i honestly cant stomach the thought of him getting the lions share on the carries at RB!!! He's what every "Smash Mouth" "Stiller Fan" thinks they want: A "big body" type who runs soley north and south. IMO, this will be RB by comittee between Redman/Dwyer/Batch/Rainey. No of whom is complete back (like mendenhall) but all of whom have redeeming qualities.

tburg68
06-12-2012, 06:31 PM
The only thing I can say about Redman is,

I HOPE DWYER, RAINEY, OR BATCH GET A LOT OF CARRIES.

I'm literally hitting my head against a wall listening to this continual insane argument.

The Lakelander
06-12-2012, 08:01 PM
The only thing I can say about Redman is,

I HOPE DWYER, RAINEY, OR BATCH GET A LOT OF CARRIES.

I'm literally hitting my head against a wall listening to this continual insane argument.

LMAO ... Oh the drama!

Big T
06-12-2012, 08:53 PM
I hope you're all right about Redman... i honestly cant stomach the thought of him getting the lions share on the carries at RB!!! He's what every "Smash Mouth" "Stiller Fan" thinks they want: A "big body" type who runs soley north and south. IMO, this will be RB by comittee between Redman/Dwyer/Batch/Rainey. No of whom is complete back (like mendenhall) but all of whom have redeeming qualities.

I wouldn't "hate" redman so much if it wasn't for those fans.

Danger DANJ
06-13-2012, 02:49 AM
I like Redman for what he is...a short yardage or even 3rd down back. I truly feel he is not a full time starter. I don't believe he can handle 20-25 carries a game for a whole season. The last time he was asked to carry the load he started fumbling. I don't think it was a coincidence. I think he got wore down. With that said, I expect him to do fairly well behind a much improved line.

ChucktownSteeler
06-13-2012, 06:29 AM
I am interested to see Redman full-time. You have to love this guys heart, work ethic, and story. All he has done with his limited chances is produce.

I am going to anxiously awaiting to see what this kid can do with the rock.

C-town

steelersbabex25
06-13-2012, 09:49 AM
For the record, I don't like Redman because I want to keep the Bus' legacy alive :lol: I like Redman because I think's he's a good fit for where the Steelers are at right now. Maybe with a better offensive line Mendenhall could do a little better, but especially last year Redman should have gotten wayyyyy more carries.

BubbyBlister
06-13-2012, 10:49 AM
Say what you want about Redman but one fact stands out,the guy has step up every time and produced when ask too.

K Train
06-13-2012, 11:22 AM
fact? sure lol.

i bet most of you backpeddal hard on your redman love and want him off the roster after this year

BubbyBlister
06-13-2012, 11:25 AM
fact? sure lol.

i bet most of you backpeddal hard on your redman love and want him off the roster after this year He has! anytime the Steelers need a third and two he'd get it. When Mendy went down he filled in just fine that's why I say fact.

BubbyBlister
06-13-2012, 11:27 AM
Like I said in the past few weeks I would like to see the younger backs mixed in a lot too and really am excited about Batch and Rainey.

K Train
06-13-2012, 11:32 AM
if the steelers didnt marginally squeak out a win over the browns and the ravens lost their game and the steelers missed out on a 1 or 2 seed because of redmans two fumbles against such a terrible team you all would want him hanged.

im sooooo thankful that didnt happen though, would not have been good for my health lol

i have zero faith in redman to do anything of significance as a starter full time, he does have a role....but like you said thats with 2 yards to go or blocking/receiving on third down which he is pretty good at. That being said with everything you are hearing about dwyer, rainey, batch...it sounds like he wont have to try to be the main guy. Ideally all those guys get a role in the run game.

Im on board with montee ball in the second round right now for next year if mendenhall isnt resigned, which is very difficult to try and predict since we really dont know his status of playing this year at all

BubbyBlister
06-13-2012, 11:39 AM
That second fumble was ripped out of his hands and I don't blame a rb when that happens. Personally I have faith in Redman but would sooner see a rbbc approach and use all the rbs talent that we have.

coldrolled
06-13-2012, 12:51 PM
Dwyers has the learned talent to do this, he just needs to step into it and take the #1 job...

steelersbabex25
06-13-2012, 01:04 PM
Oh my god are we still referencing those two fumbles? I recall us having a long conversation about if those fumbles would be characteristic and if memory serves me correctly..they weren't.

BubbyBlister
06-13-2012, 03:12 PM
Oh my god are we still referencing those two fumbles? I recall us having a long conversation about if those fumbles would be characteristic and if memory serves me correctly..they weren't. There is no issue and like I said if Ktrain wants to blame Redman for the second fumble then he needs to blame Mendy for the Superbowl fumble. Which Mendy basically got the ball ripped out of his hands and changed the momentum of the game. You can't blame a player for that and don't blame Terry in the Superbowl against Dallas. Heck the one Dallas player had Terry by the arms while the other one striped the ball.

Of course the Chicago Bears defense thrives on that type thing and it's legal but dirty in my opinion but I guess more power to them. I honestly think there should be a rule change on certain fumbles but it would be tough to enforce.

K Train
06-13-2012, 03:23 PM
There is no issue and like I said if Ktrain wants to blame Redman for the second fumble then he needs to blame Mendy for the Superbowl fumble. Which Mendy basically got the ball ripped out of his hands and changed the momentum of the game. You can't blame a player for that and don't blame Terry in the Superbowl against Dallas. Heck the one Dallas player had Terry by the arms while the other one striped the ball.

Of course the Chicago Bears defense thrives on that type thing and it's legal but dirty in my opinion but I guess more power to them. I honestly think there should be a rule change on certain fumbles but it would be tough to enforce.
thats kinda funny because the ONLY reason i ever talk about redman fumbling is because youd think mendenhall was to be crucified after kemo knocked that ball out in the superbowl....but redman cant do wrong to a lot of people, i just dont get it. not really saying you, just seems to be the general consensus that redman=the truth.

its not that i cant wait for redman to fall flat on his face, cause id love for him to score 30 TDs and get 1500 yards....but im not gonna hate the moment he does in favor of one of the other backs either

BubbyBlister
06-13-2012, 03:40 PM
thats kinda funny because the ONLY reason i ever talk about redman fumbling is because youd think mendenhall was to be crucified after kemo knocked that ball out in the superbowl....but redman cant do wrong to a lot of people, i just dont get it. not really saying you, just seems to be the general consensus that redman=the truth.

its not that i cant wait for redman to fall flat on his face, cause id love for him to score 30 TDs and get 1500 yards....but im not gonna hate the moment he does in favor of one of the other backs either Look I like Mendy and Redman both and for different reason cause there totally two different styles. You just won't give Redman any respect at all and can understand that if he has underperformed in the past which he has not. Your acting like Redman is Walter Ambercrombie or Tim Worley. I think as hard as Redman played the last two years he deserves some respect.

K Train
06-13-2012, 03:44 PM
Look I like Mendy and Redman both and for different reason cause there totally two different styles. You just won't give Redman any respect at all and can understand that if he has underperformed in the past which he has not. Your acting like Redman is Walter Ambercrombie or Tim Worley. I think as hard as Redman played the last two years he deserves some respect.
ive said a dozen times i think he has a role, i think hes a decent short yard back, i think hes a great receiving out of the backfield RB/FB...he finds soft spots in zones and has terrific balance....since day one ive said his balance is borderline amazing. I wouldnt want him lead blocking for anyone, but he can pass block....if thats not giving him the respect he deserves i dont know what is, he doesnt deserve anything else i just refuse to hype the **** out of him because hes the new steelers starting RB, he has a role, but thats not it

BubbyBlister
06-13-2012, 03:50 PM
Bottom line is Redman deserves a shot to be the starter for now and he has earned that with his hard play. If he can't cut it we have some other talented backs that can help share the load and will be just fine.

steelersbabex25
06-13-2012, 04:15 PM

its not that i cant wait for redman to fall flat on his face, cause id love for him to score 30 TDs and get 1500 yards....but im not gonna hate the moment he does in favor of one of the other backs either

Not that I don't think Redman can do any wrong, I just don't think he's done any wrong yet. So why everyone is already crucifying him, that's what I don't get.

K Train
06-13-2012, 04:20 PM
Not that I don't think Redman can do any wrong, I just don't think he's done any wrong yet. So why everyone is already crucifying him, that's what I don't get.
everyone? i feel like the majority are on this redman hype machine and it makes no sense....hes done nothing so far and i dont like his chances of doing much in the near future. Having him start at RB is like having Doug Legursky start at LG, maybe fine players and hard workers but career backups and role players which isnt the worst thing to be, we need those guys too, unless they are forced to start for a significant amount of time then it could be pretty terrible.

BubbyBlister
06-13-2012, 04:46 PM
everyone? i feel like the majority are on this redman hype machine and it makes no sense....hes done nothing so far and i dont like his chances of doing much in the near future. Having him start at RB is like having Doug Legursky start at LG, maybe fine players and hard workers but career backups and role players which isnt the worst thing to be, we need those guys too, unless they are forced to start for a significant amount of time then it could be pretty terrible. There is your problem you say he's done nothing so far. That's not true at all he has impressed for two years every chance he has been called upon. You should be saying he's done nothing wrong so far and deserves a bigger role and chance now that Mendy is out of the picture. I'm for given all the rbs a chance and think it should be rbbc with Redman getting a few extra carries at first cause he earned it.

K Train
06-13-2012, 04:51 PM
i just dont consider his body of work in his limited role to be impressive, i consider it to be average. he is completely replaceable, theres so many guys that you could plug in for issac redman and mot miss a beat, and maybe a few of them are on the team already we dont know yet

its not even really worht arguing anymore ive said my piece we'll see whos right in a few months. i will be keeping my expectations very low

steelersbabex25
06-13-2012, 05:47 PM
Isaac Redman has a career 4.4 ypc. I don't understand how you can hate on a guy that puts up numbers like that.

cmerrifield
06-13-2012, 06:23 PM
Isaac Redman has a career 4.4 ypc. I don't understand how you can hate on a guy that puts up numbers like that.

Mendy's is 4.15 only a quarter yard difference.

sent from my Evo using Tapatalk

steelersbabex25
06-13-2012, 06:38 PM
Mendy's is 4.15 only a quarter yard difference.

The difference being Mendenhall gets his 4.15 by going +1, no gain, -1, +12. I would so so so so so much rather have a rusher go for +4 or +3 yards consistently than kill us for 3 downs and then hit one for a decent gain through a huge hole that any runner could see.

JensK
06-13-2012, 06:45 PM
To be fair though, Mendenhall is not getting a whole lot of help from the o-line... I mean, a RB can only do so much if he gets hit behind LOS. Sure, Redman may get there, but more often he is not getting any snaps before late in the game where everyone is tired. I truly believe that Mendenhall would be much more consistent if he had a consistent oline.

Black@Gold Forever32
06-13-2012, 06:47 PM
Rashard Mendenhall was a first round pick and Issac Redman wasn't even drafted......That is why some are hard on Mendenhall and cut Redman a break........

I'm anxious to see Redman get more carries....I think he deserves a chance with Mendenhall coming off injury......

cmerrifield
06-13-2012, 06:55 PM
I find it funny that people hate Mendy, but love Ben and Troy. They are all similar high risk, high reward players. Troy can save a game on any play or blow the coverage. Ben can buy time and make a play or throw a pick or lose 10 yds on a sack. Mendy can break 20 yards on any play, but sometimes get no gain. Yet its acceptable for Ben and Troy, but when Mendy tries to break outside he is called weak, not a true Steeler, etc.

jpele
06-13-2012, 06:56 PM
To be fair though, Mendenhall is not getting a whole lot of help from the o-line....
To be fair it's the same o line Redman runs behind

steelcitysfinestXL
06-13-2012, 07:48 PM
I just hate when people bashed Bruce Arians and are now bashing Mike Wallace and Rashard Mendenhall for not doing more in that offense. Besides Roethlisberger, Mendenhall and Wallace have been the most productive players under BA and should THRIVE on any improvements made by Todd Haley. If anyone cant acknowledge that Mike Wallace and Rashard Mendenhall are the best players at their positions, on our roster, then i really have nothing more to say.

I understand that Redman MAY be our best bet in Mende's absence, but he is no way a replacement for what Rashard brings to the table. IMO, this will be RB by committee if ANY of our capable backups show promise in TC/ preseason. Dwyer/Batch/Rainey have better burst and topend speed... if the oline is improved and can make consistant running lanes i'd rather see any of those three hitting said holes before Redman! Im not knocking the guy, but im trying to be reasonable on what i believe he brings to this team!

JensK
06-13-2012, 07:55 PM
Somehow I cannot use the quote function right now, but jpele - as I wrote, Redman usually got to play late in the game where defenders generally was worn out. It makes sense that he'd gain more ypc. Also, teams gameplanned for Mendenhall, not Redman.

Speeed
06-13-2012, 09:44 PM
I don't think "bashing" is the correct word. Maybe arguing is more appropriate. Mendy knew he was the first back, and could be more calculated in his approach knowing he would be running on the next down. Redman, and other backs, have to make different decisions when they are called upon.

There are way too many variables in any given play, game, year, etc. to compare a backup to a starting RB. We will need to observe this season and then we can form our opinions. Whoever starts will need an entire season to acclimate before we can accurately gauge their success. Even so, on this particular team, we have a new OC and revitalized line so even that comparison will not be accurate.

Football has too many variables between plays, and far beyond that seasons, to be yammering about differences like this. I say give Redman the ball, let him run! He might do worse, he might do better, either way, he is not Mendy and Mendy is not Redman.

I just hate when people bashed Bruce Arians and are now bashing Mike Wallace and Rashard Mendenhall for not doing more in that offense. Besides Roethlisberger, Mendenhall and Wallace have been the most productive players under BA and should THRIVE on any improvements made by Todd Haley. If anyone cant acknowledge that Mike Wallace and Rashard Mendenhall are the best players at their positions, on our roster, then i really have nothing more to say.

I understand that Redman MAY be our best bet in Mende's absence, but he is no way a replacement for what Rashard brings to the table. IMO, this will be RB by committee if ANY of our capable backups show promise in TC/ preseason. Dwyer/Batch/Rainey have better burst and topend speed... if the oline is improved and can make consistant running lanes i'd rather see any of those three hitting said holes before Redman! Im not knocking the guy, but im trying to be reasonable on what i believe he brings to this team!

The Lakelander
06-14-2012, 12:22 AM
Also, teams gameplanned for Mendenhall, not Redman.

:lol: ... Did teams "gameplan" for Bettis too? ... Did it really matter? ...

Great backs don't have excuses ... Rashard seams to have excuses from every fan that is six inches into his *** end! ...

Look ... Mendenhall has decent production behind a sub-par NFL O-line and within a much-maligned NFL offensive system ... but beyond that Mendenhall has been an enigma ... he never seems to break a long run (given all his "speed", "power", and "vision" ... and he has worn me out with his dancing and spinning ...

Redman has all of my confidence! ... He makes every carry count! ...

To say Redman will wear down is utter speculation at this point in time and is very anti-positive fan perspective ... those who are talking this talk are doubters ... and doubters turn into bandwagoners when the matter at hand happens to be opposite of their poor judgements ...

K Train
06-14-2012, 12:32 AM
and doubters turn into bandwagoners when the matter at hand happens to be opposite of their poor judgements ...

lol im not too worried about that happening

JensK
06-14-2012, 06:18 AM
... Did teams "gameplan" for Bettis too? ... Did it really matter? ...

I do not see how that has ANY relevance what-so-ever. The point was not that Mendenhall should be able to run better, the point is that Redman's job was so much easier than that of Mendenhall.

steelersbabex25
06-14-2012, 09:25 AM
I think a first string RB should be able to run better than a second string RB no matter who the opponents plan for.

LatrobePA
06-14-2012, 09:28 AM
Don't be shocked if someone beats Redman out for the starting role to kick off the season... Just say'n!!

The Lakelander
06-14-2012, 11:38 AM
Don't be shocked if someone beats Redman out for the starting role to kick off the season... Just say'n!!

Don't be shocked if Redman drops jaws and becomes a Top 10 NFL RB during Mendenhall's absence ... :cope:

JensK
06-14-2012, 11:40 AM
No matter who you are I think that would be great reason to be shocked. An undrafted unproven RB stepping right into an starting role and making it top the top 10.

ChucktownSteeler
06-14-2012, 12:31 PM
One thing you can't measure is heart. Redman has it.

Enjoy while you can, he is going to pleasantly surprise.

C-town

LatrobePA
06-14-2012, 12:59 PM
Don't be shocked if Redman drops jaws and becomes a Top 10 NFL RB during Mendenhall's absence ... :cope:

That's a good problem to have if so, so I'll take it too!

steelcitysfinestXL
06-14-2012, 01:54 PM
:lol: ... Did teams "gameplan" for Bettis too? ... Did it really matter? ...

Great backs don't have excuses ... Rashard seams to have excuses from every fan that is six inches into his *** end! ...

Look ... Mendenhall has decent production behind a sub-par NFL O-line and within a much-maligned NFL offensive system ... but beyond that Mendenhall has been an enigma ... he never seems to break a long run (given all his "speed", "power", and "vision" ... and he has worn me out with his dancing and spinning ...

Redman has all of my confidence! ... He makes every carry count! ...

To say Redman will wear down is utter speculation at this point in time and is very anti-positive fan perspective ... those who are talking this talk are doubters ... and doubters turn into bandwagoners when the matter at hand happens to be opposite of their poor judgements ...

I personally have nothing against Redman. I'm just a lil shocked so many of you are so offended that people question whether he will be capable of carrying the load. He's a UFA who up until this point has had a very limited role on this team as a short yardage back and situational player. He had one NFL start and people are ready to hand him 25 carries a game?!?! I'm just saying I think he will be splitting carries with atleast 2 other rbs on a consistent basis! He may be durable enough to carry 25 times a game, but I don't think he has shown the skill set to warrant those carries.

K Train
06-14-2012, 02:17 PM
One thing you can't measure is heart. Redman has it.

Enjoy while you can, he is going to pleasantly surprise.

C-town
so we cant measure heart but apparently you can?

LatrobePA
06-14-2012, 02:20 PM
so we cant measure heart but apparently you can?

LMAO!

KillaCroc
06-27-2012, 12:25 AM
Right Isaac is the primary back for us as of now. I believe he can carry some of the load while mendenhall is recovering. He is a decent back. He relies heavily on his strength to break tackles, but he is slower than mendenhall. I also heard Todd Haley likes to use running backs as receiving targets. Most likely other Rbs will fill in for receiving targets. We have depth at Rb position to fill the starting role as mendenhall recovers.

FeelSteel
06-27-2012, 08:41 AM
I think he'll do just fine. He hasn't given us any reason to think he can't carry the load. In the game Mendenhall was injured Redman went on to carry the ball 19 times for 92 YDS a 4.8 AVG. with 1 TD. In the playoff game against Denver Redman carried the ball 17 times for 121 YDS. a 7.1 AVG.

I think Redman's style tends to be a bit more consistent and productive as he gets north & south in a hurry. I'm fine with Redman.

Mendenhall wasn't even mentioned in the NFL's top 100 for a reason... he's just not that special. He's good, but not special.

JensK
06-27-2012, 08:59 AM
Not to be an *** or anything, but if you used roughly 10 sec browsing through the forums you'd see we have 4-5 posts about the subject already. No need to start yet another one.

K Train
06-27-2012, 09:10 AM
I think he'll do just fine. He hasn't given us any reason to think he can't carry the load. In the game Mendenhall was injured Redman went on to carry the ball 19 times for 92 YDS a 4.8 AVG. with 1 TD. In the playoff game against Denver Redman carried the ball 17 times for 121 YDS. a 7.1 AVG.

I think Redman's style tends to be a bit more consistent and productive as he gets north & south in a hurry. I'm fine with Redman.

Mendenhall wasn't even mentioned in the NFL's top 100 for a reason... he's just not that special. He's good, but not special.

ah yes, lets use NFL networks awful top 100 list of randomness....awesome argument.

anyway the list is the top 100 players of 2012, which he wouldnt belong on anyway

BubbyBlister
06-27-2012, 10:46 AM
Not to be an *** or anything, but if you used roughly 10 sec browsing through the forums you'd see we have 4-5 posts about the subject already. No need to start yet another one. And KTRAIN can't refrain himself to responding back in everyone of them lol. I agree dead issue and we will find out in a few months.

K Train
06-27-2012, 10:49 AM
damn straight. nothing i like more than a redman thread lol

Ibleedblk&gld
06-27-2012, 01:10 PM
I still believe...stop hating K, lol

oh and the top 100 was voted by the players, not fans or NFL Network staff

steelersbabex25
06-27-2012, 01:15 PM
Merged. Sorry K Train, I know you'd love to argue with this for the rest of eternity, but we don't need another thread to have the same arguments that we've already had a thousand times.

CowherPower
06-27-2012, 03:16 PM
Good call on the merge for this one, thank you mods.

Redman is going to be the brunt of all kinds of criticism and support until the season starts. It won't matter if he struggles or has success, it will still be a hot topic..lol

FeelSteel
06-28-2012, 08:28 AM
ah yes, lets use NFL networks awful top 100 list of randomness....awesome argument.

anyway the list is the top 100 players of 2012, which he wouldnt belong on anyway

Ah yes, lets ignore the 87 words of argument before the "top 100" statement... how convenient.

Mendenhall was injured in the last game of the season, he had plenty of time to earn his way onto the list, which he didn't.

K Train
06-28-2012, 09:48 AM
no one who blows out a knee in the last game of the year is going to be on the top 100 list for the following year, i dont see how thats difficult to understand.

he missed out on the list the year before to darren mcfadden, and really mcfadden making over mendenhall and hillis was stupid, both out classed mcfadden by a wide margin

connecticutsteel
06-28-2012, 02:21 PM
I hate lists unless i make them lol

ChucktownSteeler
06-28-2012, 06:37 PM
The list is nothing more than a popularity contest by fans. Ben is ranked 30 something, really take that serious?

86WARD
06-28-2012, 10:39 PM
thats not true, i just hate painfully average players that get overhyped because he is certainly that next "gem" player.

but i also hate how the same people that LOVVVEEEEEE redman so much think wallace (an actually talented player) is expendable and the antichrist for a contract dispute. But at least we'll never have to worry about redman holding out, as hes lucky to have a roster spot at all.

if redman is the guy all year, the steelers will have a legit bottom 5 rushing attack, at least ^^^ these people have haley to blame for that

So true...lol.

Ibleedblk&gld
06-29-2012, 10:01 AM
The list is nothing more than a popularity contest by fans. Ben is ranked 30 something, really take that serious?

negative, the list is voted by the players...as I previously stated...

K Train
06-29-2012, 10:34 AM
because voting for for friends and team mates is way more subjective than voting for your favorite player and players on your favorite team :rolleyes:

Ibleedblk&gld
06-29-2012, 11:41 AM
because voting for for friends and team mates is way more subjective than voting for your favorite player and players on your favorite team :rolleyes:

touche (I hate your face, K)

FeelSteel
07-03-2012, 08:42 AM
no one who blows out a knee in the last game of the year is going to be on the top 100 list for the following year, i dont see how thats difficult to understand.

he missed out on the list the year before to darren mcfadden, and really mcfadden making over mendenhall and hillis was stupid, both out classed mcfadden by a wide margin

You do know that P. Manning was voted onto the list and he didn't throw a single pass in 2011, right? my point is Mendenhall isn't respected among the players and to me is an average RB.

K Train
07-03-2012, 09:13 AM
You do know that P. Manning was voted onto the list and he didn't throw a single pass in 2011, right? my point is Mendenhall isn't respected among the players and to me is an average RB.

peyton manning vs rashard mendenhall is a bit different. hall of fame QB that really holds the fate of the broncos in his hand vs a 24 year old RB with a rehabbing knee