PDA

View Full Version : It has to be Gilbert if Adams isn't ready to start the year

BlitzburghRockCity
05-25-2012, 08:55 AM
This is going to be a point of emphasis to keep an eye on as the offseason moves forward. There's no guarantee that Mike Adams will be ready to take over at LT whent he season starts. Even if he is I'm still not exactly thrilled with a rookie protecting Ben's blind side.

I personally would rather keep Gilbert on the LT where he's a more natural fit and stick Adams on the right and see how things go.

Things can and probably will change in the coming months, just because Adams is working out on the left side now doesn't mean he's going to stay there. Maybe he will in the end but who knows.

Left tackle update (http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/steelers-cb-keenan-lewis-has-bold-words-bolder-vision-637509/)

What happens if rookie Mike Adams goes through training camp and cannot cut the mustard at left tackle?
Trai Essex, Jonathan Scott (who opened there last season) or Marcus Gilbert?

Gilbert was pegged to be the left tackle this season right up until the Steelers drafted Adams in the second round. Gilbert played left tackle at Florida his final year, and both he and Tomlin have called it his more natural position.

Gilbert started 14 games at right tackle as a rookie after the injury in the opener to Willie Colon.
"I'm naturally the left," said Gilbert, who was put there in his rookie training camp.

"When they moved me over to the right tackle, it took me a week or two to get back in the groove.
"I got the hang of things. It's all about preparation and repetition."

connecticutsteel
05-25-2012, 09:20 AM
So if Tomlin felt that Gilbert is a Left Tackle then why draft Adams ? A guy that has played Left Tackle his entire Career even in High School .I get the bpa stuff but Bobbie Massie would have made more sense in the later rounds and take some one else. I believe Adams will be ready to go anyway

LatrobePA
05-25-2012, 09:27 AM
Adams will be fine, it's only May!

tburg68
05-25-2012, 10:03 AM
The reason that Adams was drafted, and will eventually be the left tackle, is because he has the ability to be an elite Top 5 LT, in this league. It's not a strike against Gilbert, it is an acknowledgement of Adam's ability.

This only makes the O Line better. This is not a problem, it is a good thing.

Side note: Goodbye J Scott.

tburg68
05-25-2012, 10:06 AM
So if Tomlin felt that Gilbert is a Left Tackle then why draft Adams ? A guy that has played Left Tackle his entire Career even in High School .I get the bpa stuff but Bobbie Massie would have made more sense in the later rounds and take some one else. I believe Adams will be ready to go anyway

Reason is that Adams--LT, Gilberts--RT is better than Gilberts--LT, Massie--RT.
Very Simple IMO.

coldrolled
05-25-2012, 10:20 AM
If Scott started last year, you have to be kidding that Admas who is faster and larger and a 1st round OT will not start...

LMFAO

LatrobePA
05-25-2012, 11:48 AM
If Scott started last year, you have to be kidding that Admas who is faster and larger and a 1st round OT will not start...

LMFAO

I just about puked thinking of Scott!

connecticutsteel
05-25-2012, 01:15 PM
Reason is that Adams--LT, Gilberts--RT is better than Gilberts--LT, Massie--RT.
Very Simple IMO.

Say that to Gilbert's face

KemoTherapy
05-25-2012, 02:00 PM
I don't see Gilbert as having the foot speed and mobility to shine on the left side. Don't forget that with the southpaw Teblow he was not protecting "the blind side" of the QB. Adams has me concerned just a little bit in that LT would seem to be the ONLY line position he's suited to play. He's certainly too tall to be a guard and I don't know if he has the power to excel @ RT.

Real Deal Steel
05-25-2012, 02:59 PM
I believe Adams will be fine. If this were last year in a lockout year where he wouldn't have time to prep, then I'd be worried.

BlitzburghRockCity
05-26-2012, 02:17 AM
I'm sure Adams will be fine in time. Maybe you can justify him starting right away but man I fear for ben's life as it is now lol, let alone with a rookie out there.

Gilbert said himself he's a more natural left side guy but he can do both. It's a good problem to have with both of those guys.

- From BRC's Droid Bionic of Coolness

Blazedby92
05-26-2012, 03:14 AM
Most of us also new Pouncey would start coming in especially considering competition who really new he would catch on that fast. So until I see that Adams won't start and can't be a 1st round LT since he probably should of been I'm a believer he will be the Rock on that line this year.

The Lakelander
05-26-2012, 07:16 AM
This is all on Haley IMHO ... Haley needs to make Ben a quick release QB, so that Ben isn't running around making these rooks look like fools. If Haley can reign in Ben and run an offense that actually executes the called plays, then Adams and company will be fine ... and why not? ... our WR's are entering year 3 and year 4 ... those are the years that WR's bust out! ... no reason Ben shouldn't have it easy this season for finding open WR's on the called plays! ...

coldrolled
05-26-2012, 10:54 AM
This is all on Haley IMHO ... Haley needs to make Ben a quick release QB, so that Ben isn't running around making these rooks look like fools. If Haley can reign in Ben and run an offense that actually executes the called plays, then Adams and company will be fine ... and why not? ... our WR's are entering year 3 and year 4 ... those are the years that WR's bust out! ... no reason Ben shouldn't have it easy this season for finding open WR's on the called plays! ...

Haley probably reviewed Arians game films from the last few years, and hes laughing his a%$%$ off inside. Thinking that making this team look 10 times better, cant actually be this easy.... Hes probably spending more time trying to figure out how to make his job look harder so it looks like hes worth the salary......

The Lakelander
05-26-2012, 11:55 AM
Haley probably reviewed Arians game films from the last few years, and hes laughing his a%$%$ off inside. Thinking that making this team look 10 times better, cant actually be this easy.... Hes probably spending more time trying to figure out how to make his job look harder so it looks like hes worth the salary......

Maybe so ... but Haley has his work cut out for him breaking Ben of his old habits ... Arians gave Ben the run of the roost and allowed Ben to rely on his size and scrambling ability far too often ... instead of demanding Ben to learn to get rid of the ball sooner ... If Haley wants to keep Ben upright and keep his O-line from breaking down, then Haley will need to ride Ben hard when Ben begins to revert to his old habits ...

igor0190
05-26-2012, 12:04 PM
Adams is the starter at LT, barring injury. They didn't draft him and call Willie Colon and tell him they were moving him to guard for no reason. Writing is on the wall, they expect Adams to be the day one starter at LT, and why wouldn't they with the other options we have at OT.

BlitzburghRockCity
05-29-2012, 07:12 PM
Even though they couldn't have predicted that Adams would fall to them in the 2nd round, they felt that Gilbert was a good move to go at LT for next year. That may still be the case; I'm personally not ready to say that Adams is the day 1 starter at LT. I have no problems with Gilbert on either side but I do have a problem with J. Scott starting over Adams if the rookie isn't ready.

K Train
05-30-2012, 11:36 AM
some of you seem to think a rookie starting at LT is unheard of. LT is one of the most overrated positions now, especially since there isnt NEARLY the gap between the skill it takes to play left and the skill it takes to play right with more and more pass rushers being used

i would not be surprised at all if adams had a marcus mcneil/ryan clady like rookie season

greg1964
05-31-2012, 07:43 AM
two week into training camp, if Adams is NOT going to be ready, Mad Max phone blow-up:

K Train
05-31-2012, 11:47 AM
I don't see Gilbert as having the foot speed and mobility to shine on the left side. Don't forget that with the southpaw Teblow he was not protecting "the blind side" of the QB. Adams has me concerned just a little bit in that LT would seem to be the ONLY line position he's suited to play. He's certainly too tall to be a guard and I don't know if he has the power to excel @ RT.

you are thinking about it on paper too much though, either one of them could play LT or RT just fine. At this point RTs need to do almost just as much as LTs, RT is becoming a less glorified left side

BlitzburghRockCity
05-31-2012, 05:31 PM
Given the experience that Gilbert got last year I think he'll be worlds better this year no matter what side he plays on. He seems to prefer the left side so I'd like to think they'll put him where he's most comfortable to start but I guess a lot of it depends on how fast Adams actually does pick up this gig. Either way having two 2nd round picks as starters on the o line and 2 first round picks is pretty damn impressive.