PDA

View Full Version : Which scenario unfolds for the Steelers in 2012?

CowherPower
05-24-2012, 01:32 PM
I came across this 2 fold scenario that could unfold for the Steelers this season. The AFC North Blog (http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/48780/steelers-dreamnightmare-scenarios)takes one extreme or the other with this topic, so which do you think happens..or maybe it's a combination of the two?

Dream scenario (13-3): Losing a handful of veterans this offseason won't impact the Steelers' play on the field. The Steelers show last year's division champion (the Ravens) and the division's upstart team (the Bengals) that they still own the division as long as Ben Roethlisberger is healthy and the defense is at full strength. A return trip to the Super Bowl would follow their pattern (Pittsburgh went in the 2008 and 2010 seasons).

Roethlisberger thrives in Todd Haley's offense much like Kurt Warner did. The biggest change is a quicker release, which will allow Mike Wallace, Antonio Brown and Emmanuel Sanders to show off their elusiveness and make yards after the catch. The offensive line becomes the best in the AFC North with center Maurkice Pouncey staying healthy, right tackle Marcus Gilbert continuing to develop and rookies David DeCastro and Mike Adams living up to expectations.

The Steelers' pass rush is even stronger this season because James Harrison and LaMarr Woodley will be on the field together for more than a handful of games this year. The run defense is bolstered by the return of nose tackle Casey Hampton, who is able to start the season despite having knee surgery in January. The combination of Larry Foote and Stevenson Sylvester makes up for the loss of inside linebacker James Farrior.

Nightmare scenario (7-9): Pittsburgh underestimates the loss of leadership after parting ways with Farrior, Hines Ward, Aaron Smith and Chris Hoke. The Steelers also struggle more than expected with the injuries to Hampton and running back Rashard Mendenhall (knee surgery in January). It's tough to win in one of the top divisions in football when you're not at full strength.

The key to any Steelers season is the health of Roethlisberger. While the Steelers' offensive line has the potential to rank among the best, this year could be a transitional one as well. Roethlisberger could take a good number of hits behind a line that starts two rookies and moves tackle Willie Colon to guard. Losing Roethlisberger will result in a losing season. Pittsburgh would then have to depend more on a running game without Mendenhall. Isaac Redman has shown flashes, but he is a question mark as a featured back.

Defensively, the run defense becomes vulnerable in the middle with the injury to Hampton and the loss of Farrior. Hampton starts the season on the physically unable to perform list, and Steve McLendon and rookie Alameda Ta'amu can't fill the void. The pass defense takes a step back if one of the young cornerbacks (Keenan Lewis, Cortez Allen and Curtis Brown) can't replace William Gay.

CowherPower
05-24-2012, 01:35 PM
Under the nightmare scenario, I'm anxious to see just how the team responds in critical situations on the field.

No more Farrior to help get everyone together in the huddle and make a last minute call to stop a big play.

Basically more on defense I'm thinking because Ward wasn't on the field last year hardly at all so the offensive leadership has already swung towards Big Ben.

K Train
05-24-2012, 01:38 PM
both scenerios really over value casey hampton

coldrolled
05-24-2012, 01:40 PM
Im going homer all the way...

Ben and the Offense gel and destroy the league.

The defense keeps up with AFCN standards.

We go 15-1

Ben is Back!

Phenomenal TJ
05-24-2012, 01:43 PM
I'm thinking it's going to be right in the middle of those two. Going to have a few hiccups to start the season off with, everyone getting used to each other and whatnot, but come the mid-point and the end they should be in natural Steelers form.

steelcitysfinestXL
05-24-2012, 01:58 PM
both scenerios really over value casey hampton

Agreed, look at early last season when teams were 2-man cutting hampton to the point where they had to bring in Hokie. Big snack got ATE ALIVE by the Ravens and Texans (i believe). He's a staple in that D no doubt... But with McCleandon adding 30-40 lbs and Ta'Amu hopefully contributing early i dont see Casey being a "make-or-break" guy in this defense anymore!

Real Deal Steel
05-24-2012, 11:45 PM
Agreed, look at early last season when teams were 2-man cutting hampton to the point where they had to bring in Hokie. Big snack got ATE ALIVE by the Ravens and Texans (i believe). He's a staple in that D no doubt... But with McCleandon adding 30-40 lbs and Ta'Amu hopefully contributing early i dont see Casey being a "make-or-break" guy in this defense anymore!

Totally agree. There will be a better rotation up front. Atleast initially.

BlitzburghRockCity
05-25-2012, 09:03 AM
I'm with TJ on this one, I think it's a combination of the two. The offense is going to struggle a bit to begin with just because it's new. The offensive line is going to have some new faces that will take time to develop and get experience.

By mid season I expect them to really start rolling.

Defense I'm not too concerned about really. I like the speed in the middle of the defense now with Foote back out there and possibly SYlvester seeing an increased role.

I'm not worried about the other CB spot too much at this point, all 3 prospects are very capable.

Real Deal Steel
05-25-2012, 03:03 PM
Blitz, but if the offense doesn't struggle in the beginning..a 13-3 season is well within reach.

coldrolled
05-25-2012, 04:41 PM
Blitz, but if the offense doesn't struggle in the beginning..a 13-3 season is well within reach.

If the offense can keep the other teams defense on the field for an extra several minutes a game. that is gold in itself.

Raleigh Steel
05-25-2012, 04:56 PM
If the offense can keep the other teams defense on the field for an extra several minutes a game. that is gold in itself.

:plus1:

also, scoring touchdowns and not field goals or punts makes the other team one dimensional and puts more pressure on them. i really believe that with an improved offense will allow our defense to get back to it's suffocating ways...

BlitzburghRockCity
05-26-2012, 11:40 AM
Ain't that the truth! No longer settling for FG's is so important it's not even funny. The redzone offense was flat out mediocre at best last year. That's the number one thing I want to see out the new Todd Haley offense.

The Steelers were 17th in the league in scoring Touchdowns. They were also just 16th in the league redzone scoring attempts, which means they were middle of the road when it came to actually throwing the ball into the endzone or trying to run it in from short yardage.

coldrolled
05-26-2012, 12:35 PM
trying to run it in from short yardage.

5 wide baby!!!

elephantman
05-27-2012, 10:24 PM
Im going homer all the way...

Ben and the Offense gel and destroy the league.

The defense keeps up with AFCN standards.

We go 15-1

Ben is Back!

lOl ...No team in this division wins more than 11 games...they play NFC East and eachother...I wouldnt be surprised if 3 teams went 10-6...The Bengels scare me

Phenomenal TJ
05-27-2012, 10:34 PM
5 wide baby!!!

To be honest, I've always liked watching teams with a scrambling QB go five wide on the goal line. To a degree anyway.

connecticutsteel
05-28-2012, 12:37 AM
I agree about Hampton being over valued the biggest thing about last year was that we had horrible turnover ratio if we got one timely turnover in the Second Raven game we win . Same with the Texans game A LATE TURN OVER SWINGS THAT GAME TOO .Then we would have been 14-2 and never played the Broncos.

so again i think if our d can get some int's and fumbles we will be fine and control the game with our running game we will go 12-4 13-3 something like that if not maybe 10-6

coldrolled
05-28-2012, 08:34 AM
To be honest, I've always liked watching teams with a scrambling QB go five wide on the goal line. To a degree anyway.

Right... A vick, or our own dixon... hmm dixon... special goal line package nah!.. 5 wide with Ben and a bad ankle....

SteelDad
05-28-2012, 10:14 AM
Excellent point about the NFC East. I have us at 10-6/11-5, not set on one just yet.
Offense will need time and I believe the defense will as well. This team has loads of talent but youth in many key areas that will make us or break us. Either way I just don't see this team with the schedule it is facing winning more than 11.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk 2

tburg68
05-28-2012, 10:40 AM
I honestly don't see how anyone can say that this team didn't get better in the off season. That said, schedule and getting comfortable with a new system will factor into record.

I say 11-5, and improving as the playoffs come up, then anything is possible.

Black@Gold Forever32
05-28-2012, 11:02 AM
Three keys to the season for me......

1. The offense learning a new offense is the number 1 factor.........I hope the transition is a smooth one and really the offense starts to roll by week 4..........

2. The offensive line.......No doubt DeCastro and Adams are talented but they're still rookies so there will be growing pains.......Another factor is its going to take some time for the best five to get into sync period.......I'm hoping by mid-season this OL starts dominating....

3. The health of Manny Sanders.......Mike Wallace will play this year and I have no doubt in my mind about that........Wallace and Brown are one of the best starting combos at WR in the NFL....But a healthy Manny Sanders can really make this WR core special......Sanders in the slot......Who is going to cover him?.......I expect a huge year out of Sanders if he remains healthy all season........

I'm not to worried about the defense....I think there is still a ton of talent and vet experience so the defense should still be very good......

The kicking game scares me and really the kicking game could make the 2012 season a nightmare scenario....lol