PDA

View Full Version : Look for more running to the left for the Steelers

BlitzburghRockCity
05-19-2012, 03:44 PM
If things hold true to start the season as they are now, and I emphasize, "if", with Colon on the left an DeCastro on the right, I look for the Steelers to do more running to the left this year than in years past. Normally we saw Kemoeatu kicking out and pulling to his right for the run game. Now with DeCastro on the right I can see doing some more left side attacks.

The right side has been the strong side for years but even with Colon now at guard, he doesn't have the quick feet that DeCastro or even Kemo have. I can see Colon being effective in the power game right up the middle and DeCastro kicking out and leading Redman right through the line.

The best part I think though is, if this line holds up and pans out we'll finally have legitimate options to run virtually anywhere and be successful.

tburg68
05-19-2012, 09:31 PM
I can also see Colon sealing the back side of the line and Pouncey pulling to lead through the hole on the right side.

Looking forward to all the options that Haley will have at his disposal.

connecticutsteel
05-20-2012, 12:36 AM
Attention Steeler Nation Todd Haley is not a moron.His offense will be tailored to the strenghts of our offense which is clearly our recieveing corps the only difference is we will have a better running game with the new additions to the line.Some games we will bomb the opposition some games we will build afreeway through the center of some defenses it depends on the team and there strenghths. We won Super Bowl 43 but not by much Haley's offense was hardly a run first offense in Az.

P.S i know no one is calling Haley a Moron i was simply stating the obvious

HUNT4SEVEN
05-20-2012, 01:42 AM
Colon said that BOTH of em Him/Decastro is going to pull, i can't wait to see how this line pans out.

The Lakelander
05-20-2012, 07:44 AM
Good luck tackling Redman for 60 minutes a game ... :greengrin: ... His strong hips ... his wide base at impact ... his glide off the tackle ... his suddeness ... NFL defenses won't be too overly excited about that situation!

tburg68
05-20-2012, 09:27 AM
Redman is a servicable NFL backup. I like him, and I'm sure he will have moments looking excellent behind this improved line, but the only healthy back on the roster that has starting NFL talent is Dwyer. Unfortunately, he hasn't shown an interest in being in the physical condition to handle the load. Maybe that changes this off season.

coldrolled
05-20-2012, 09:40 AM
One more factor that is favoring Dwyer is he is one of the younger guys on the team at 22-23

Redman is 27...

5 years is a big thing...

Real Deal Steel
05-20-2012, 11:40 AM
Redman was the starter at the end because Dwyer was already IR'ed. Redman was the last man left.

All this assuming that Redman is going to be the starter is just that...assuming. Dwyer has more talent then Redman. Not saying Redman is a slouch or anything.

BlitzburghRockCity
05-20-2012, 05:20 PM
Redman will enter camp as the starter, but I wouldn't put it out of our minds completely that Dwyer could take that job if Redman had a subpar camp and Dwyer was on fire. I don't think that will happen though, even if Dwyer has a great camp I expect IRED to have a solid camp as well. I think he's earned the right to be the starter and see how he does.

ChucktownSteeler
05-20-2012, 07:00 PM
Good luck tackling Redman for 60 minutes a game ... :greengrin: ... His strong hips ... his wide base at impact ... his glide off the tackle ... his suddeness ... NFL defenses won't be too overly excited about that situation!

As long as he holds on to the ball while he is fighting for those extra yards. He had some critical fumbles late in the season after contact and every secondary coach we play against this year will drill those films into his DB's heads.

Hang on to the ball, Eye-Sack.

Good luck, it is your time to shine!

C-town

ChucktownSteeler
05-20-2012, 07:01 PM
Redman is a servicable NFL backup. I like him, and I'm sure he will have moments looking excellent behind this improved line, but the only healthy back on the roster that has starting NFL talent is Dwyer. Unfortunately, he hasn't shown an interest in being in the physical condition to handle the load. Maybe that changes this off season.

Dwyer spent the off season in Florida with the Tom Shaw group. I got a feeling he is serious this year.

C-town

Real Deal Steel
05-21-2012, 12:32 AM
Redman will enter camp as the starter, but I wouldn't put it out of our minds completely that Dwyer could take that job if Redman had a subpar camp and Dwyer was on fire. I don't think that will happen though, even if Dwyer has a great camp I expect IRED to have a solid camp as well. I think he's earned the right to be the starter and see how he does.

I don't think Redman will have a subpar camp whatsoever. I just think Dwyer will beat him out. I don't think it's a matter of "earning the right". I think it's a matter of putting your best players on the field as much as possible. And if Dwyer is the better runningback (which I suspect) I think he'll get the nod.

coldrolled
05-21-2012, 06:12 AM
Redman and Dwyers may be splitting time every game. I would rather have a 1/2 tired redman in the 4th qtr.
Dwyers will be fine he has nice RB skills, he was a great back at GT and Redman is the mauler. Haley has weapons galore. He cant miss, our OL needs to gel now.

K Train
05-21-2012, 10:36 AM
i expect a lot of colon drive blocking to the left and deastro pulling to the left and being a wrecking ball....menenhall has had his best years running to the right behind colon and flozell (both excellent drive blockers and when they get a hand on you in the run game its over). i dont anticipate colon being much of a puller, but decastro and pouncey are gonna make pulling look like silky smooth magic.

another thing we can expect that might look VERY weird is running straight up the middle on something besides a draw lol

Big T
05-21-2012, 10:50 AM
Posted this in another thread but figured its necessary for here as well lol

It pains me to know that Mendenhall (who is in every way better than Redman, outside of balance [Redman has incredible balance]) won't be able to run behind this revamped, talent infused offensive line. Mendenhall has gotten it done for the last few years behind the worst O line in the NFL and had gotten the most unfair criticism for his lack of production at times (due to the offensive line being completely and utterly inept at creating anything that even somewhat resembled a hole). Now we finally have a line that has the potential to be one of the best in the league and a strength of this team, and Isaac Redman is going to be the beneficiary while Mendenhall is on the sideline. And all the Redman fanboys will come out with the "told you so" and "Redman is so much better than Mendenhall" comments. I would KILL to see Mendenhall run behind this line. Unfortunately that may never be the case.

K Train
05-21-2012, 10:54 AM
mendenhall would be a top 5 rusher again behind this line...hes had stretches as a top 5 guy but the line never really helped him hold onto those kinds of numbers

JensK
05-21-2012, 11:01 AM
I really hope they decide to bring Mendenhall back. Give this line a year to play together and give Mendenhall a whole year to recover. It could cause permanent damage on some teams.

Real Deal Steel
05-21-2012, 04:03 PM
It is kind of a shame that Mendy doesn't get a chance to run behind the new line.

coldrolled
05-21-2012, 05:03 PM
It is kind of a shame that Mendy doesn't get a chance to run behind the new line.

2013... He will... We may lose another RB this year due to an injury.. it is football.. no crystal balls over here but it is possible.

ChucktownSteeler
05-21-2012, 06:52 PM
Who says Mendy won't get a chance when off IR?

I like Dwyer's vision, but I think Eye-sack has the edge, at least going into camp.

I am concerned with DBs stripping the ball from Redman after contact.

C-town

BlitzburghRockCity
05-22-2012, 01:05 PM
When Mendenhall is ready he'll get a chance to play, even if it's in a reserve role. He'll have fresh legs, assuming he's healthy after being on the PUP list, which will be key for the stretch run of the season. If Redman and Dwyer are hot though, Mendy's carries will be limited. There would be no reason to feature him when you have 2 guys working well together already.

Injuries always happen though so there's really no way to tell how much playing time he could get if healthy.

K Train
05-22-2012, 01:19 PM
If Redman and Dwyer are hot though

something tells me we wont have to worry about this

BlitzburghRockCity
05-25-2012, 08:58 AM
Can't you just see Colon mauling his way straight ahead and DeCastro kicking out to his left and leading Redman through a hole? Man that scenario give me chills..LOL.

coldrolled
05-25-2012, 10:25 AM
something tells me we wont have to worry about this

If we have 3 and they are all playing solid. We trade one of them for something good to a team in desperation....