PDA

View Full Version : Max Starks updates; no contact with Steelers so far

CowherPower
05-19-2012, 09:26 AM
From the Pittsburgh Trib (http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/1820967-85/sta rks-steelers-camp-ready-tackle-adams-training-week -acl-offensive) on the latest status of free agent Max Starks.

The veteran free agent has yet to be contacted by the Steelers, seemingly further solidifying the teams intentions of giving rookie second-round pick Mike Adams every opportunity of winning the left tackle job in training camp.

- I have not had contact with management or anybody like that, Starks said Friday while on his way to rehab his surgically repaired knee in Phoenix. I guess eventually I will hear something from them or maybe not.

Its been about four months since Dr. James Bradley repaired the ACL Starks tore in his right knee during the wild-card playoff loss to Denver.

I am pretty good, actually, Starks said. I am starting lateral work movement with my ACL, and everything is moving along nicely.

Starks has a follow-up visit with Bradley soon during which he will get a better grasp on how far along he is. An ACL tear typically carries a nine-month recovery. With that time frame, Starks would be ready close to opening week.

- It would be pushing it to be in training camp, Starks said. It is not unfeasible. Athletes push it to be ready in six months, but my mindset is to be ready to play by Week 1. Thats a realistic goal for me.

I would need a week or so to get the plays down and the terminology, Starks said. It would be a different situation even coming back to the Steelers. I just want to get healthy and play for somebody. I have the mindset of rehabbing and make sure my knee is in the best possible shape and be ready to go when someone calls.

CowherPower
05-19-2012, 09:28 AM
Most of us probably feel that there's no way the Steelers will contact him at least until training camp. At that point then only if either injuries happen to other players or Adams doesn't seem to work out and needs more time to grasp his responsibilities.

coldrolled
05-19-2012, 10:21 AM
If they fixed his knee 4 months ago, he wont be ready for 8 more at least.. whens the deadline to sign any players in november?

Real Deal Steel
05-19-2012, 10:35 AM
I agree with you coldrolled.

Let the guy become completely healthy and then there can be a discussion. But only as a back-up to Adams.

connecticutsteel
05-19-2012, 10:44 AM
Max Starks has played his last game as a Steeler .They wanted to release him last year but was brought in cause of injuries only because he new the offense now things are different with Haley

Real Deal Steel
05-19-2012, 10:46 AM
Well, that's fine with me too. All I care about is that we have enough capable bodies on the lines going forward. I don't want to ever go through what we've been through the last two years again.

When our lines are right, we are a super bowl team.

BlitzburghRockCity
05-19-2012, 03:38 PM
No team is going to touch him until they have a firm idea of how his recovery has gone, and obviously much closer to when the season starts. He showed he can come in last year and be a help right out of the gate but that was when he knew the offense. He'll have no idea what the new playbook is if they need him early again this year.

cmerrifield
05-19-2012, 04:27 PM
If LT comes down to Scott, Essex and Adams and Adams isnt ready, Starks better get a call, or Colon back to RT and Gilbert over to LT. Otherwise this line will still be terrible.

sent from my Evo using Tapatalk

ChucktownSteeler
05-19-2012, 08:29 PM
Much like Flo, I think we have seen the last of Max. Time to move forward.

C-town

connecticutsteel
05-20-2012, 12:40 AM
Adams will be ready to start

The Lakelander
05-20-2012, 07:51 AM
If LT comes down to Scott, Essex and Adams and Adams isnt ready, Starks better get a call, or Colon back to RT and Gilbert over to LT. Otherwise this line will still be terrible.

This line won't be terrible again for a while ... dominating? ... not sure I prefer to go there yet ... but this line will be far improved over the past few seasons ...

bigplaysteel
05-21-2012, 06:27 AM
[QUOTE=cmerrifield;496240]If LT comes down to Scott, Essex and Adams and Adams isnt ready, Starks better get a call, or Colon back to RT and Gilbert over to LT. Otherwise this line will still be terrible.

Pretty much agree with that assessment and will comment later. But first, -----

Who am I talking about here? He was drafted in 2004. He did not start day 1 as some expected him to. In 2005 he started all 20 games and led the Steelers to the world championship. Uhh he is one of the only two starters remaining with the team from the 04 draft blah blah blah. Okay, enough of the nonsense. Of course I am referring to Max Starks who happens to be one of my favorite players. Whether or not he is now finally and realistically expendable is possible. But thinking Max Starks is a backup caliber player makes me laugh.

I don't usually get into OL stuff it isn't my thing. Most of us casual fans just watch the ball but this one has really got me baffled. Now either the Steelers are the most clever of all NFL teams or the luckiest as far as Max Starks goes--- I'm not sure. But one thing is for sure it is confirming my opinion that just about all these other NFL teams are run by a bunch of morons.

Besides the fact that Starks has been a very valuable player for the Steelers the past 8 years, last years events certainly confirmed that fact. A lot of fans were predicting disaster for the Steelers going into the season with all those question marks on the O line [Me too]. And can anyone argue that things did not look good after the first five games. I mean like 2 and 3 with no real quality wins. To say that was getting off to a rocky start would be polite. It looked like a 6-10 type team with a plenty of luck needed to get the six. Anyway the Steelers managed to turn things around a bit after Starks came back and stabilized the O line. My point is Starks is not a backup OT.

Now the drafting of Adams was certainly a good move. The possibility of getting a long time solid player could not be passed up. But that does not change the value of a healthy Max Starks. If Adams can do the job then of course Starks will have to move on. I would like to see that for him since I believe that if he goes to a team that was at least a 9-7 sort they will then contend for the championship. That's how good I think Max Starks is.

MDSteel15
05-21-2012, 08:43 AM
Max Starks has played his last game as a Steeler .They wanted to release him last year but was brought in cause of injuries only because he new the offense now things are different with Haley

It wasn't just because of injuries! It was because the kid they thought could take the spot sucked azz! What's the other Scott's name? That's right, he's long gone!

MDSteel15
05-21-2012, 08:44 AM

^^^^ exactly...

LatrobePA
05-21-2012, 09:09 AM
Max is a soft flexi LT, put a fork in him!

JensK
05-21-2012, 10:54 AM
I would not be against bringing him back, but preferably as a back up. He is a strange player to follow. One day he'll absolutely dominate the likes of Freeney and Dumervile, only to get dominated by a no-name backup LB or DE. He does have a ton of experience and I would not at all mind having him to help coach Adams and Gilbert a little. I don't see him as a permanent starter in the NFL anymore though.

BlitzburghRockCity
05-21-2012, 07:35 PM
There's no way I want Colon back at Left Tackle. The dude hasn't played in 2 years and before that he was adequate but nothing spectacular. If Adams isn't ready then I'd be content with J. Scott on the right and Gilbert on the left. I'm still not convinced that Adams can't be a franchise RT and Gilbert on the left. OTA's and mini camps are not a definite sign of things to come, it's a learning process to see who's going to work out where.

ChucktownSteeler
05-21-2012, 07:57 PM
Colon is a guard or cut. His days at tackle are gone.

C-town

Root4Stlrs
05-21-2012, 09:32 PM
I don't know. Starks pulled their chestnuts out of the fire last season. Ben was getting killed more than ever because of oline.

ChucktownSteeler
05-22-2012, 12:18 PM
Last year we didn't have Adams and Gilbert was an unknown commodity. We have seen the last of Max Starks.

Time to move forward.

C-town

Goodfrom55
05-23-2012, 07:51 PM
Rather sign Starks to the league minimum for a vet and have him as a backup than have Jonathan Scott. . .The guy is used toilet paper.

cmerrifield
05-23-2012, 10:47 PM
Rather sign Starks to the league minimum for a vet and have him as a backup than have Jonathan Scott. . .The guy is used toilet paper.

And he is not even 2 ply

BlitzburghRockCity
05-24-2012, 01:04 PM
He's continuing to work out and rehab at the Steelers practice facility this offseason. You can bet they are keeping a close eye on his progress just in case. He's in there today as a matter of fact.