PDA

View Full Version : The year of the rookie, Steelers 2012

BlitzburghRockCity
05-18-2012, 11:23 AM
The number of rookies or 2nd year players that could be starting (or taking on prominent backup roles) this year is pretty impressive.

Decastro - OL
Adams - OL
Ta'amu - DL
Cortez Allen - DB (Allen has the fast track to that starting spot if you listen to some experts but I'm still not convinced that Keenan Lewis doesn't land that job)

Then throw in:
-Cam Heyward in the rotation on the DL,
-Another 2nd year DB behind the starters in the secondary
-Redman getting his first legitimate opportunity to be the feature running back.
-Dwyer and either Batch or Rainey getting 3rd down opportunities.

Considering that the Steelers have had primarily the same core lineup for nearly a decade now, so many new faces taking on prominant roles is going to be exciting to watch..and a bit nerve wracking too.

K Train
05-18-2012, 11:35 AM
dlineman im most excited about is heyward, i expect him to come out and crush the opposition. He was dragging RBs down by one arm when he didnt know wtf he was doing, a full TC he should out class hood on the field

connecticutsteel
05-18-2012, 11:55 AM
Here's a little taste of cam http://vimeo.com/28186865

K Train
05-18-2012, 12:06 PM
just abusive at the point of attack

BlitzburghRockCity
05-18-2012, 01:59 PM
I can't wait to see what DeCastro does. I wanna see him out in space and just flatten linebackers. I'm a bit concerned with Adams out there at either tackle spot just because those edge rushers are so quick.

K Train
05-18-2012, 02:50 PM
if adams has anything at all to bring to the table as a rookie its quicks

Real Deal Steel
05-18-2012, 08:24 PM
I can't wait to see what DeCastro does. I wanna see him out in space and just flatten linebackers. I'm a bit concerned with Adams out there at either tackle spot just because those edge rushers are so quick.

Adams will be going up against some mean compitition in camp. He'll be ready by the end of the preseason.

HUNT4SEVEN
05-18-2012, 09:17 PM
For us to be called an old team on defense/offense we sure got young fast :lol:i'm excited to see what Spence can do in Timmons old position and Timmons in Farriors old spot!,the DB's and Safeties,man i can't wait to see Colon and Decastro both pulling our line is gonna be legendary if these 2 rook's work out.

Nolrog
05-19-2012, 10:09 AM
For us to be called an old team on defense/offense we sure got young fast :lol:

Hehe. Good point.

Though, we do have some age at OLB and Safety that we'll need to deal with next year. But we moved out a bunch of older players this past off season.

KemoTherapy
05-19-2012, 01:46 PM
To be honest about it the management did allow age and decrepitude to creep in and it was being all too apparent on the field. They really pulled a rabbit out of the hat with this draft though and I think they were extremely fortunate to get the guys they did this time around. It usually takes a lot longer to recover when you let age/dead wood infiltrate a team.

BlitzburghRockCity
05-19-2012, 04:41 PM
I love the infusion of youth on this team at key positions on the OL and DL especially. The youth at WR is a definite strength. Secondary is the only area where the team is truly somewhat aged; Polamalu, Clark, and Taylor all with around 10 years in the league.

Nolrog
05-19-2012, 04:44 PM
To be honest about it the management did allow age and decrepitude to creep in and it was being all too apparent on the field.

Their problems were 2 fold. Not drafting some positions until they were desperate needs (e.g., DE, Nose and OL) and missing on too many high picks in the last 4-5 years.

tburg68
05-19-2012, 10:35 PM
As a Michigan Wolverine fan, I couldn't be more excited about Adams and Heyward being Steelers.

They were beasts as college players, and I think they just get better as pros. Ziggy can be a situational rush lineman, and spell Heyward and Kiesel.

The lines will be strong points by mid season.

BlitzburghRockCity
05-20-2012, 06:21 PM
This is a big year for Ziggy, not so much because of his contract status but because he's been around enough that he can be considered a veteran. He's still young though so I think he fits into this thought process of young players really stepping up this year and needing to perform. He is a first round pick after all, we should expect big things from him still.

connecticutsteel
05-20-2012, 07:41 PM
the fact that DeCastro and Adams aren't at ota's is not a big deal but Wallace isn't doing himself any favors by not going.I hope we sign him but he thinks he's Jerry Rice

Root4Stlrs
05-21-2012, 01:44 AM
Adams and DeCastro can't be there because they're still in school. Stanford doesn't end until June.