PDA

View Full Version : Wallace still in no hurry to sign his offer

BlitzburghRockCity
05-16-2012, 08:18 AM
Latest update on Wallace (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/rapid-reports/post/19055760) according to Adam Schefter is of course that we won't see Mike Wallace for some time most likely.

Doesn't much matter at this point, the Steelers will move forward with or without him. He's only hurting himself and his teammates by pulling such a pointless stunt.

Rookie minicamps have concluded for all 32 NFL teams. Next up: Organized Team Activities (OTAs), which have kindly been described as "walk-throughs at best (https://twitter.com/#!/randycrossFB/status/202436775304634368)." Translation: OTAs are helpful for rookies making the transition from college but not particularly helpful for veterans entrenched with a team or a system.

And if Bruce Arians was still the Steelers (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/teams/page/PIT/pittsburgh-steelers)' offensive coordinator, it would make the reports that wide receiver Mike Wallace has no intentions of signing his restricted free-agent tender barely newsworthy. But Pittsburgh and Arians parted ways this offseason, coach Mike Tomlin hired Todd Haley as Arians' replacement, and Haley is bringing an entirely new offense with him. Which means that it would be in Wallace's best interests to show up, learn Haley's offense, and let his agent and the organization hammer out the details of a long-term deal.

But just as we wrote on April 11 (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/eye-on-football/18478756/report-steelers-mike-wallace-not-planning-to-sign-1year-tender-offer) and April 22 (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/eye-on-football/18763052/report-mike-wallace-wont-sign-free-agent-tender-until-he-has-to), Wallace will take his sweet time signing a one-year tender offer that will pay him $2.7 million in 2012.

As of Tuesday, nothing's changed. At least according to ESPN's Adam Schefter, who said on NFL Live that "it may be awhile" (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/05/15/mike-wallace-still-has-no-plans-to-sign-tender/) before Wallace shows his face at Steelers' headquarters.

As CBSSports.com's Pete Prisco tweeted in April (https://twitter.com/#!/PriscoCBS/statuses/194111452087463936): "I love when players like Mike Wallace say they won't sign tender offer until they have to. Who's that hurting?"

Especially when there's a shiny new playbook waiting for Wallace. Last week, quarterback Ben Roethlisberger (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/players/playerpage/493043/ben-roethlisberger) was asked what had changed with Haley's offense. Everything," he said during an appearance on the Rich Eisen Podcast. "The similarities would be on a shorter list. Off the top of my head, from what I've seen so far, there's a 90 percent change.

But it's Wallace's right to sit on his couch, even if, ultimately, the team holds most of the leverage. If he doesn't sign his tender by June 15, the Steelers could reduce his $2.7 million salary for next season to $577,000, although that isn't expected to happen. General manager Kevin Colbert said in February that the hope is to lock Wallace up long term.

And now that Wallace has made it through free agency without any offer sheets from WR-needy teams, he doesn't have many options. He can sign his tender offer and show up, or he can wait it out at home. For the time being, Wallace has chosen the latter. There is good news though: Antonio Brown (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/players/playerpage/1272852/antonio-brown), the next great young Steelers wide receiver said way back in March that he was quite certain (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/eye-on-football/18200767/antonio-brown-no-doubt-in-my-mind-mike-wallace-plays-for-steelers-in-12) that Wallace would be playing for Pittsburgh in 2012. So there's that.

coldrolled
05-16-2012, 08:33 AM
Once all the draftees are signed, besides wallace who is left?

That will make cutting salaries the next priority and fitting wallace in under the cap right?

What was the new IR rule can the players come back during the season and do salaries count for IR players?

LatrobePA
05-16-2012, 09:45 AM
Wes Welker signed his oh wait he's a true pro not a wannabe!

cbrunn
05-16-2012, 10:20 AM

lmao really ?? ... isn't Wes for like 9.5 Mill ??? ... hasn't Wes been in the league a while and had a decent/good contract for a while now???

isn't Wallace coming off his rookie contract ... where he was what a 3rd round pick ??? so what he didn't make over a mill in a year yet ... and i think everybody can agree he out played his rookie contract with no complaints ...

i agree it's stupid to not just sign it and work on a long term ... or just show up and let them work on a long term ... but ultimately that's both what Pitt and Wallace want is a long term deal ...

coldrolled
05-16-2012, 10:20 AM

he did get 9.5 mill he wil get traded next year for a 1st round and maybe more.
the pats way of draft picks.

K Train
05-16-2012, 10:22 AM
welker has 9.5 million reasons not to hold out, which is plenty for a slot WR in a super slot WR friendly system.

hes not worth anywhere close to that for 90% of the teams out there

coldrolled
05-16-2012, 10:58 AM
welker has 9.5 million reasons not to hold out, which is plenty for a slot WR in a super slot WR friendly system.

hes not worth anywhere close to that for 90% of the teams out there

Thats why he will be traded this year or 2013 for a few top round picks...

LatrobePA
05-16-2012, 11:11 AM
Welker is consistant year in and year out and should be paid like Wallace wants. Wallace hasn't proved **** to me yet! WOW he can catch a deep ball once in a while but when you need him he's not there. His diva came out mid season last year when Brown started ball'n out of his mind!

K Train
05-16-2012, 11:19 AM
Welker is consistant year in and year out and should be paid like Wallace wants. Wallace hasn't proved **** to me yet! WOW he can catch a deep ball once in a while but when you need him he's not there. His diva came out mid season last year when Brown started ball'n out of his mind!
actually the year that the pats didnt have moss and had a rookie gronkowski welker was pure ****. Once gronk turned into a man beast welker put up some of his best numbers.

do not let that gimmicky offense and welkers high number of short catches fool you, hes a slot WR. And i think its COMPLETELY laughable that the first half of last season everyone said wallace=top 5 WR but because of a contract issue hes now a diva, soft, and only good for a "deep ball once in a while"

ChucktownSteeler
05-16-2012, 11:59 AM
I don't care what Welker got, it has no bearing on what the Steelers decide to do or offer him. If he wants money in the 9 to 10 million dollar range he would be making more than Ben, Troy, Timmons, or Woodley (I think). No way, no how he gets it from the Steelers.

Quote from above:

But it's Wallace's right to sit on his couch, even if, ultimately, the team holds most of the leverage. If he doesn't sign his tender by June 15, the Steelers could reduce his $2.7 million salary for next season to $577,000, although that isn't expected to happen. General manager Kevin Colbert said in February that the hope is to lock Wallace up long term.

If the hickdead is dumb enough to have his own salary reduced from 2.7 million to $577,000 to prove a point I would trade him for stupidity alone. See ya, Mike!

C-town

gtadroptop
05-16-2012, 12:12 PM
Glad I never shelled out $$$ for a Wallace jersey.

Real Deal Steel
05-16-2012, 12:15 PM
Actions speak louder then words...

We took another wide receiver late in the draft who is bigger but just about as fast as Wallace. To me, that sends Wallace a message weather the front office says it or not.

Wallace flat out hasn't shown enough to even think he's in Fitzgerald's zip code as far as Salary is concerned. Brown has shown a waaaay more complete game then Wallace. But Wallace's friends and agent are in his head pumping him up and it could be to Wallace's downfall if he doesn't figure it out .

The smartest thing that Wallace can do is come in, sign the tender, ball out this year and then see what the market is for him. Other then that, anything he does will just hurt him short and long term.

Personally, I'd like to move him because I don't like the distraction and I don't like the elitest attitude I'm sensing from his actions.

steelchamp204
05-16-2012, 12:46 PM
Wallace is a good down the field threat, I want to see some more slants/outs and crisper routes. Sort of what Holmes could do. Its nice when him and Ben connects on a deep ball, there was to much of that though. All I know is we will be a better team with him than without him. Yet again, we havent seen what Haley wants the offense to run.

Real Deal Steel
05-16-2012, 07:20 PM
Depends on his attitude.

If he has a bad attitude in the lockerroom, we'd be better WITHOUT him.

Black@Gold Forever32
05-16-2012, 07:45 PM
I have my share of complaints about Mike Wallace at times but I can't blame him for looking out for himself long term....If he blows out a knee then he screws himself......He didn't get the big money like a former first round pick.......Lets not kid ourselves here this team needs Mike Wallace....I love the remaining WR core but Wallace opens up so many things for those other WR's.......Plus Sanders can't stay on the field.....The Steelers just needs to get a deal done period....Even Hines Ward held out of training camp once...Right now Wallace will only be missing OTA's....I get learning a new offense but Wallace can play catch up when he does indeed sign his tender or when the Steelers do iron out a long term deal for him......

cbrunn
05-16-2012, 11:33 PM
Thank goodness the coaching staff/ front office isn't as fickle as some fans are ... they know they need Mike long term , the question is money, and i don't think he wants Larry Fitz money, i think that was to other teams trying to take him away from pitt ...

and about being bad in the locker room ?????? where do you get making these accusations?????? He's been nothing but great in the locker room ... him Brown and Sanders are the Young Money crew ... like how does some of these things pop into you guys head

Real Deal Steel
05-17-2012, 12:23 AM
Notice I used the word " IF"

We don't know what his attitude is going to be. But "IF" it is a bad one, then we'd be better off without him. And no one is fickled. Fickled are fans who become enslaved to players because they believe we can't be successful without them.

Wallace isn't needed long term for this franchise's success. It would be nice to have him but he isn't irreplaceable by any stretch of the imagination.

And it wasn't "other teams" when Mike Wallace said himself, " I'm not signing anything until I have to" . That is the sign of a crappy attitude brewing.

So please stop accusing people of making up stuff. Other then the QB position maybe, we are not enslaved to any player on this team. It's not how the Steelers operate and never has been and if you review the Steelers history, you'd learn that.

coldrolled
05-17-2012, 08:42 AM
Wallace needs to look out for next year. The steelers can use their first three draft picks on CB, WR, QB, RB, S

We are done with our DL and OL top round picks right now.

Sojourner
05-17-2012, 12:36 PM
So far Mike has proven that he's worth the contract that was offered and nothing more. And remember they also get performance bonuses.

From what I've read he hasn't had any better offers from other teams so the best thing he could do is get with the program, sign the contract, learn the new offense and the prove this season that he is worth the big bucks and earn some negotiating cred.
I like Mike. He's a good WR and I doubt that he's reached his full potential yet -however- he hasn't earned anything close to the kind of respect and money he thinks he has and if he doesn't get into the Steeler groove and start thinking the Steeler way I'd just as soon see him bounced on down the road.
I'd love to have him on the field this year but we don't -need- him.

K Train
05-17-2012, 01:17 PM
i love all the dont need him talk, imo without him we are crippled at WR.

i would not be looking forward to seeing brown in a #1 role

SnakeEyes43
05-17-2012, 01:45 PM

True, Brown excels in his role BECAUSE Wallace draws so much attention every play by the opposing defense. I love Brown off the field, he's literally everything you want in a player: a hard worker, talented, self-motivated yet unselfish, humble, and a good role-model. BUT he's not ready to be the #1 guy yet.

Brown without Wallace would be like the year the Pats had Welker and dropped Moss. His production would go down significantly. Still a great guy and a great player, but he would be nowhere near as productive next year without Wallace.

steelcitysfinestXL
05-17-2012, 02:15 PM

+1... This WR corps is average at the VERY best w/ Mike Wallace. I dont blame the guy for "saying" (per Adam Schefter) He is in no hurry to sign his tender. He wants a long term deal! He's no different than 100 RFA's around the league right now who's only leverage may be to threaten to sit out. And to say it will hurt his "long term" or "short term" is flat out wrong... how did that work out for Vicent Jackson last season... He's making BIG money in Tampa this year after doing exactly what Mike Wallace is supposedly threatening to do.Right now its all talk.

And another thing... I HATE hearing people say: "He's nothing but a deep threat"... He was nothing but a deep threat under Bruce Arians' offense. You know, that guy you all HATED!!! I'd be PISSED if we dont get to see what Haley has in store for Wallace over a 16 game season. Although I wasnt a BA hater, Nor am i a Todd Haley fanboy, I think Haley can get more out of this offense than BA ever did. He is GREAT at using what wepons are at his disposal!

LatrobePA
05-17-2012, 04:06 PM
I never said we'd be better off w/out him, just he needs to learn how to be a pro and at least a team player by showing up for OTA's etc etc... With a new playbook it would be wise!

coldrolled
05-17-2012, 04:43 PM
+1... This WR corps is average at the VERY best w/ Mike Wallace. I dont blame the guy for "saying" (per Adam Schefter) He is in no hurry to sign his tender. He wants a long term deal! He's no different than 100 RFA's around the league right now who's only leverage may be to threaten to sit out. And to say it will hurt his "long term" or "short term" is flat out wrong... how did that work out for Vicent Jackson last season... He's making BIG money in Tampa this year after doing exactly what Mike Wallace is supposedly threatening to do.Right now its all talk.

And another thing... I HATE hearing people say: "He's nothing but a deep threat"... He was nothing but a deep threat under Bruce Arians' offense. You know, that guy you all HATED!!! I'd be PISSED if we dont get to see what Haley has in store for Wallace over a 16 game season. Although I wasnt a BA hater, Nor am i a Todd Haley fanboy, I think Haley can get more out of this offense than BA ever did. He is GREAT at using what wepons are at his disposal!

We will see him with haley... Wallace is with us for 2 years no matter what happens. Its up to him to get a better deal done. Pissing people off wont make that happen, and the steelers have to clear up some cash to get it done. So sign the 2.7 mil goto ota's and the steelers will get a long term deal done before the season starts. hows that sound?

Real Deal Steel
05-17-2012, 05:01 PM

And that was the same talk that said, " With no Santonio Holmes, the sky is falling. "

How'd that turn out???

We find wide receivers and obviously bring them up the ranks. That's what we've been able to do.
Every team has a position that either their lucky enough to be able to develop or draft for well.

Unfortunately for Wallace, that position for us is wide receiver. He has no leverage. Of course it would be great to have him but hey, If he has a "Desean Jackson" type of attitude, we don't need him.

BlacknGoldHaze
05-17-2012, 07:14 PM
Wallace is worth Vincent Jackson money not Fitz money....he needs to wake up.

NorCalSteel
05-18-2012, 08:36 AM
We are not even close to crippled with out Mike Wallace. I want him on the team but I see him being a 3rd option if Sanders stays healthy. Why does he disappear in the 2nd half of seasons? Did you not notice how many of his catches were reviewed ? He was not catching the ball clean at all..not sure why? I hope he signs his deal comes in has a hell of a year then gets the contract he thinks he deserves..

coldrolled
05-18-2012, 08:47 AM
We are not even close to crippled with out Mike Wallace. I want him on the team but I see him being a 3rd option if Sanders stays healthy. Why does he disappear in the 2nd half of seasons? Did you not notice how many of his catches were reviewed ? He was not catching the ball clean at all..not sure why? I hope he signs his deal comes in has a hell of a year then gets the contract he thinks he deserves..

This team had most of the key players near IR status in the 2nd half... We were 12-4 with a old and banged up team..

This year if healthy we should run deep into the playoffs. Wallace is just fine. We just need to make cap space.

cbrunn
05-18-2012, 09:07 AM
so now Wallace is 3rd option ... after Brown had a half of a season ...and Sanders can't stay healthy ... and Wallace has produced every year he's been there ...

K Train
05-18-2012, 09:24 AM
And that was the same talk that said, " With no Santonio Holmes, the sky is falling. "

How'd that turn out???

We find wide receivers and obviously bring them up the ranks. That's what we've been able to do.
Every team has a position that either their lucky enough to be able to develop or draft for well.

Unfortunately for Wallace, that position for us is wide receiver. He has no leverage. Of course it would be great to have him but hey, If he has a "Desean Jackson" type of attitude, we don't need him.
he absolutely has some leverage. Hes incredibly talented, they do need him. I just will never understand how after blowing up the first half of the year and having a down second half hes a nobody all the time...even though he ran bubble screens and 9 routes hes automatically a nobody. he improved tremendously from the previous year. He doesnt have desean jackson like attitude, he just wants to get a long term deal. Santonio was expendable BECAUSE of wallace, without either of them we have a whole lot of nothing

Wallace is worth Vincent Jackson money not Fitz money....he needs to wake up.
he never said fitz money, his agent implied top WR money (which is fitz money i suppose) but he will be fine in the vjax, djax, holmes type range.

absoultely idiotic. 3rd option my ***. this fan base gets so butt hurt over any contract issue that doesnt involve hines ward. its pathetic. Hes good for 1300 yards and 10 a year, you dont just plug and play that kind of player off the street. and its INSANE to think toney ****ing clemons could step in and come close to that production. Wallace is far and away our best WR, what a dumb statement to make calling him the 3rd option, some of you need to figure out who you hate: wallace or arians, because he was being used moronically in the second half of last year.

JollyRob68
05-18-2012, 10:01 AM
[QUOTE=SnakeEyes43;496108]
Brown without Wallace would be like the year the Pats had Welker and dropped Moss.

That year although you can say Welkers production was down the Pats changed back into a who evers open/team game and no longer wanted to be dependent on Go Long Moss.

JollyRob68
05-18-2012, 10:10 AM
My take on Mike Wallace is this, He should sign his tender so that The Steelers and his agent can workout a long term deal. If Wallace knows anything about The Steelers the dont negotiate is your under contract and there. All he has to do is sign his tender and show up for The mandatory camp & Training Camp. Once he signs his tender and is under contract The can negotiate a long term contract.

Mike is going to make 2.7 million thats more than he made last year. I agree The Steelers would like to keep him long term but if he decides to leave life goes on as it always has. I not bashing Wallace for wanting to get paid However 2.7 mil is getting paid more than your rookie contract. Go learn The System and Have Todd Haley as an Alia because at this point to he has no loyalty to you what so ever. The longer he waits it out the better for Toney Clemons.

K Train
05-18-2012, 10:13 AM
[QUOTE=SnakeEyes43;496108]
Brown without Wallace would be like the year the Pats had Welker and dropped Moss.

That year although you can say Welkers production was down the Pats changed back into a who evers open/team game and no longer wanted to be dependent on Go Long Moss.
but then they had gronk as the primary target the following year and welker started to dominate again...its not an accident

steelcitysfinestXL
05-18-2012, 03:04 PM

Really?!?! Without Mike Wallace we have Antonio Brown ( a #2 at the VERY best) Jerricho Cotchery ( a #3 at best) and Emmaneul Sanders ( a #4 if he's healthy for 16 games)! I hope Clemmons turns out to be the next 7th round hero, but im not gonna count on it.

Wallace dissappreared in the second half because he got the defense's #1 corner WITH safety help over the top AT A MINIMUM... didnt you notice the direct correlation between Wallaces diminishing numbers and AB's numbers starting to rise? Together they make a great combo. You cant single cover Wallace and there arent too many #2 corners or nickelbacks who can cover AB. Take away Wallace and AB isnt the same playmaker.

And YES, the Steelers have drafted VERY well at WR over the last few seasons... but thats never a guarantee! Plus, you dont just go out and Draft "another Mike Wallace". Guys like him and Desean Jackson are a rare breed. Ther are ALOT of speed WR's that get drafted every year but not many turn out to be probowl calber WRs. For every Mike Wallace (3rd rounder?) theres 4-5 Darius Heyward-Beys (1st rounder!)

steelcitysfinestXL
05-18-2012, 03:17 PM
Wallace is far and away our best WR, what a dumb statement to make calling him the 3rd option, some of you need to figure out who you hate: wallace or arians, because he was being used moronically in the second half of last year.

Couldnt have said any of that better myself... I love how people spent the last 3-4 seasons completely ripping BA for not doing this or not doing that... then rip the guys who played and PRODUCED in the system you detested so much. Now Arians is gone and the players who actually produced (ie: Mendenhall and Wallace) under him are expendable because Emmanuel Sanders and Ike Redman are ready to step up?!?! Give me a F***ING break!

Real Deal Steel
05-18-2012, 07:17 PM
There was a time, about a season ago when we even wondered if Wallace WAS a # 1 wide receiver. And based on the season just passed, there are still questions on weather he is truly a # 1 in my mind.

His routes are not clean by any strecth of the imagination. So much so, that the Steelers have admitted Brown runs the better routes. So Wallace is all of a sudden a clear cut # 1 wide receiver????? I missed that memo.

Real Deal Steel
05-18-2012, 07:20 PM
Clear cut # 1 Wide Receivers do it all well. Fitzgerald, Roddy White, Greg Jennings, Reggie Wayne (in his prime). I don't see Wallace as complete as those "real" # 1 wide receivers.

JollyRob68
05-18-2012, 07:21 PM
[QUOTE=JollyRob68;496180]
but then they had gronk as the primary target the following year and welker started to dominate again...its not an accident

I agree they went back to using the TE. The use to love using the TE back when they had Ben Coats.( I'm a Steelers fan living in NE)

NorCalSteel
05-21-2012, 02:31 AM
lol all you cry babies make me laugh. We will see at the end of the year if you are men enough to admit I was correct. I have 39 years of bleeding black and gold and I know just about everything there is to know about NFL and Steeler football so please don't try to talk down to me like you know more than I do...you dont!! I want Mike Wallace on the team trust me, but if you have watched the games like I have then you know exaclty who Ben went at when all three were health at the end of last year..it wasn't Wallace was it??...nope....if I am wrong and he lights it up I will be happy with that also..because as long as the STEELERS are winning I am good!!

steelchamp204
05-21-2012, 04:04 AM
lol all you cry babies make me laugh. We will see at the end of the year if you are men enough to admit I was correct. I have 39 years of bleeding black and gold and I know just about everything there is to know about NFL and Steeler football so please don't try to talk down to me like you know more than I do...you dont!! I want Mike Wallace on the team trust me, but if you have watched the games like I have then you know exaclty who Ben went at when all three were health at the end of last year..it wasn't Wallace was it??...nope....if I am wrong and he lights it up I will be happy with that also..because as long as the STEELERS are winning I am good!!

Please dont tell us that you think this team will be as good without Wallace. He IS a priority. I know he doesnt have crisp routes but he can blow the top off a defense. which opens up the routes of Brown,Sanders,Cotchery. Another thing, we have no clue on what Todd Haley has drawn up for this offense. If we can get the run game going again like in the past, Wallace will have a huge advantage for PA pass if the run game is successful. The Steelers will have more passing attacks than just WR screens, end arounds and long routes for the receivers to run. Look for more slants, 3 step drops and running to set up the explosive plays. Wallace might not be anywhere close to Fitz money but he does deserve to be paid. To act like he isn;t a big part of our offense though is just a joke. We need him in the lineup. He might not be the go to guy, but he sure hell is a threat on every passing play to break one for a td.

coldrolled
05-21-2012, 05:57 AM
With a healthy Ben making Ben time on the field, wallace going down field quickly, a new OL and Haley creating some real offense on paper. Ben and Wallace should have time to hook up more. Ben did look for Brown more often later last year. I think more to do with zero pocket time more than wallace's diminishing in skills... Wallace, Brown and Cotch right now should be three WR's any defense has to really plan for. then add some new Haley.. subtract some of BA's beauty plays.. Throw in a Rainey, Miller, Pope and Dwyers catching balls in the flat. Is it Sept yet?

NorCalSteel
05-21-2012, 08:15 AM
Never said once the team would be better with out Wallace. I am not sure why people are not higher on Sanders it has to be the injuries. He has the chance to be the best we have. I want the Steelers to keep all 3 of these guys on the field at the same time. I just don't think Wallace should be after Fitz type money. he wasnt even the teams go to guy the last 6 games of the year last year. does anybody else here actually watch the games?..lol at the end of 2 years ago Sanders was becoming Bens go to guy then all the injuries started..go look it up for your selves..

coldrolled
05-21-2012, 08:57 AM
Saunders has to stay off the stretcher... Like Sweed had to catch a ball....

Not sure what we have left in cap space, but if you do the math and gave the remaining balance to wallace, i dont think it will be Fitz money for Wallace this year..

Real Deal Steel
05-21-2012, 09:14 AM
Never said once the team would be better with out Wallace. I am not sure why people are not higher on Sanders it has to be the injuries. He has the chance to be the best we have. I want the Steelers to keep all 3 of these guys on the field at the same time. I just don't think Wallace should be after Fitz type money. he wasnt even the teams go to guy the last 6 games of the year last year. does anybody else here actually watch the games?..lol at the end of 2 years ago Sanders was becoming Bens go to guy then all the injuries started..go look it up for your selves..

Your making my point exactly. Brown was the go to guy. And remember, the majority of poster even wondered was Wallace a real # 1 wide receiver coming into last season. Then, all of a sudden, you see posters in this thread saying he's a # 1??????

Wallace hasn't even proven he's a number # 1 wide receiver in this league; let alone him wanting Fitzgeral type of loot. If Sanders stays healthy this season, can you imagine the speed our team has at wide receiver?? Including the wide receiver we drafted too?? That's why I'm saying Wallace has no leverage here. He just doesn't.

Big T
05-21-2012, 10:28 AM
I'd ALMOST like to see Wallace sit out this season...because one season with Antonio Brown as the #1 receiver should be more than enough to show how idiotic some of the points that are being made here are. You take Mike Wallace out of lineup last season and Antonio Brown MIGHT have put up half the numbers he put up last season. I love Antonio Brown. I love his game. But to think he could be the number one receiver and still be as productive as he was last year is completely 100% laughable. He is a great complement to Wallace but he is in no way, shape, or form a number one.

The man deserves to get paid. He played out his rookie contract for pennies (compared to other top receivers) and didn't complain. I don't blame him for sitting out. People here love to forget that Hines held out of training camp for a contract extension in 2005 but you won't hear him called a "diva" or "selfish" around here. Any possibility of a season with Antonio Brown and Emmanuel Sanders starting, with Cotchery as the 3, scares the **** out of me.

And one more thing. Someone mentioned the whole Mendenhall/Redman situation. It pains me to know that Mendenhall (who is in every way better than Redman, outside of balance [Redman has incredible balance]) won't be able to run behind this revamped, talent infused offensive line. Mendenhall has gotten it done for the last few years behind the worst O line in the NFL and had gotten the most unfair criticism for his lack of production at times (due to the offensive line being completely and utterly inept at creating anything that even somewhat resembled a hole). Now we finally have a line that has the potential to be one of the best in the league and a strength of this team, and Isaac Redman is going to be the beneficiary while Mendenhall is on the sideline. And all the Redman fanboys will come out with the "told you so" and "Redman is so much better than Mendenhall" comments. I would KILL to see Mendenhall run behind this line. Unfortunately that may never be the case.

JensK
05-21-2012, 10:49 AM
The man deserves to get paid. He played out his rookie contract for pennies (compared to other top receivers) and didn't complain. I don't blame him for sitting out. People here love to forget that Hines held out of training camp for a contract extension in 2005 but you won't hear him called a "diva" or "selfish" around here. Any possibility of a season with Antonio Brown and Emmanuel Sanders starting, with Cotchery as the 3, scares the **** out of me.

Does he deserve to get payed? Absolutely. Does he deserve to get payed the same money Fitzgerald and Megatron got? There is no way in hell. He is a pretty good WR, but he is just that and honestly nothing more. He is not going to be the type of player who goes up after the ball against multiple defenders and comes down with it. He runs faster than probably all WRs in the league, but that alone does not warrant top 5 money in my book. I mean, we saw plenty of times last season that he was unable to produce if they had safety help in his side. Sure, BA was a moron, and yes it opened routes for the others but still, if you pay a guy 9+ mil per year you expect more than that.

That said, obviously he should be payed what he deserves which is more than 2 mil per year, no doubt about it. He should just be realistic about what he is actually worth. Furthermore, sitting out is absolutely not going to do him any good at all. Even disregarding the almost certain hamstring injury its going to cause, he is not exactly showing teams which potentially would pay him the kind of money he wants that he is the type of player who delivers without any trouble.

I do realize that Hines Ward also sat out, but he had more than 1,5 season to show case, and he was not really asking for the same kind of money.

K Train
05-21-2012, 10:52 AM
Clear cut # 1 Wide Receivers do it all well. Fitzgerald, Roddy White, Greg Jennings, Reggie Wayne (in his prime). I don't see Wallace as complete as those "real" # 1 wide receivers.

Roddy white WISHES he had anywhere close to the production wallace had in his first 3 years, white used to be a scrub. Wallace easily puts up greg jennings numbers. wallace had 3 more catches than greg jennings a 200 more yards...your argument is laughable, wallace should JUST be getting to his most comfortable point as a WR, it really is typically a 3 year rule

ben didnt have the manueverability to get the ball to wallace in the second half of the year...it doesnt help that there were nothing but bombs and bubble screens called for wallace though. you cant just throw the ball 60 yards to wallace on a bum ankle. but yes PLEASE act like you know more than everyone because you "have been watching for 39 years"...thats exactly how it works

Please dont tell us that you think this team will be as good without Wallace. He IS a priority. I know he doesnt have crisp routes but he can blow the top off a defense. which opens up the routes of Brown,Sanders,Cotchery. Another thing, we have no clue on what Todd Haley has drawn up for this offense. If we can get the run game going again like in the past, Wallace will have a huge advantage for PA pass if the run game is successful. The Steelers will have more passing attacks than just WR screens, end arounds and long routes for the receivers to run. Look for more slants, 3 step drops and running to set up the explosive plays. Wallace might not be anywhere close to Fitz money but he does deserve to be paid. To act like he isn;t a big part of our offense though is just a joke. We need him in the lineup. He might not be the go to guy, but he sure hell is a threat on every passing play to break one for a td.
its like talking to a wall man, no one can make up their minds on who they want to rip on...wallace or arians when it seems pretty clear the actual problem with the offense is gone and a huge strength of what the offense could be is sitting at home

again, hes never said fitz money...he wants to be paid like the steelers top WR. hes not gonna get fitz/calvin money but he at least deserves holmes/vjax/djax money

Saunders has to stay off the stretcher... Like Sweed had to catch a ball....

Not sure what we have left in cap space, but if you do the math and gave the remaining balance to wallace, i dont think it will be Fitz money for Wallace this year..
he'll never get fitz money, from anyone...hes not that type of WR, but hes certainly in the next tier of WR

Your making my point exactly. Brown was the go to guy. And remember, the majority of poster even wondered was Wallace a real # 1 wide receiver coming into last season. Then, all of a sudden, you see posters in this thread saying he's a # 1??????

Wallace hasn't even proven he's a number # 1 wide receiver in this league; let alone him wanting Fitzgeral type of loot. If Sanders stays healthy this season, can you imagine the speed our team has at wide receiver?? Including the wide receiver we drafted too?? That's why I'm saying Wallace has no leverage here. He just doesn't.
bullshit, the first half of the year there were threads praising wallace as being a top 5 WR in the league and really its not that far off, hes around 7-8 imo and thats higher than hines ward EVER was as a steeler compared to the rest of the league. He has proven he can be and hes proven he can open things up for other guys like antonio brown who can thrive in the #2 role

I'd ALMOST like to see Wallace sit out this season...because one season with Antonio Brown as the #1 receiver should be more than enough to show how idiotic some of the points that are being made here are. You take Mike Wallace out of lineup last season and Antonio Brown MIGHT have put up half the numbers he put up last season. I love Antonio Brown. I love his game. But to think he could be the number one receiver and still be as productive as he was last year is completely 100% laughable. He is a great complement to Wallace but he is in no way, shape, or form a number one.

And one more thing. Someone mentioned the whole Mendenhall/Redman situation. It pains me to know that Mendenhall (who is in every way better than Redman, outside of balance [Redman has incredible balance]) won't be able to run behind this revamped, talent infused offensive line. Mendenhall has gotten it done for the last few years behind the worst O line in the NFL and had gotten the most unfair criticism for his lack of production at times (due to the offensive line being completely and utterly inept at creating anything that even somewhat resembled a hole). Now we finally have a line that has the potential to be one of the best in the league and a strength of this team, and Isaac Redman is going to be the beneficiary while Mendenhall is on the sideline. And all the Redman fanboys will come out with the "told you so" and "Redman is so much better than Mendenhall" comments. I would KILL to see Mendenhall run behind this line. Unfortunately that may never be the case.

wallace is the anti christ for wanting long term contact security, hes a selfish diva who doesnt fit the "steeler mold" of hard nosed smashmouth rah rah only team comes first id play for free if they'd let me. Hes worst than TO, Moss, and marshall because hes gonna wait to sign his tender. Just a cancer to the team and totally expendable because hes a 3rd option at best.....lolz

K Train
05-21-2012, 10:53 AM
Does he deserve to get payed? Absolutely. Does he deserve to get payed the same money Fitzgerald and Megatron got? There is no way in hell. He is a pretty good WR, but he is just that and honestly nothing more. He is not going to be the type of player who goes up after the ball against multiple defenders and comes down with it. He runs faster than probably all WRs in the league, but that alone does not warrant top 5 money in my book. I mean, we saw plenty of times last season that he was unable to produce if they had safety help in his side. Sure, BA was a moron, and yes it opened routes for the others but still, if you pay a guy 9+ mil per year you expect more than that.

That said, obviously he should be payed what he deserves which is more than 2 mil per year, no doubt about it. He should just be realistic about what he is actually worth. Furthermore, sitting out is absolutely not going to do him any good at all. Even disregarding the almost certain hamstring injury its going to cause, he is not exactly showing teams which potentially would pay him the kind of money he wants that he is the type of player who delivers without any trouble.

I do realize that Hines Ward also sat out, but he had more than 1,5 season to show case, and he was not really asking for the same kind of money.
ward ABSOLUTELY was asking for top WR money and they gave it to him even though he never had top WR production to match

JensK
05-21-2012, 10:58 AM
ward ABSOLUTELY was asking for top WR money and they gave it to him even though he never had top WR production to match

Never claimed he weren't asking for top WR money. He was not asking for 10 mil+ per year though, and again... He had more years to show-case that he could be productive. Also, I was not really trying to attempt comparing them; that would be foolish. I'm by no means a Hines Ward supporter, but he had shown that he could be productive in the system. Wallace have a season worth of footage where he really dominated, and that was honestly mainly because he got 1v1 matchups most of the time which he will win every single time. Not the same pattern we saw when defenders started shifting guys to cover him.

edit: just to clarify what I meant about Hines and his contract: The biggest contract he has received is 4 yr(s) / $25mil (ish). Fitzgerald got 8 yr(s) / 128.5 mil. Even disregarding the years between the two contracts, Hines never made more than 4,700,000 per year. Fitzgerald's contract makes that seem pretty.. obsolete. Not that it really has anything to do with Wallace contract what Hines got though. I still don't think he is worth almost 130 mil. It would be like 30 mil. more than they payed Big Ben..

edit edit: I guess I should also clarify that I do realize he never officially claimed that kind of money, however thats the only number we've heard so far so I'm just playing along with that for the sake of argument! :)

K Train
05-21-2012, 11:05 AM
comparability though he was looking for top 5 WR money in 2005, which is no different than what wallace is doing now even though the raw figure is bigger its all relative....plus wallace is supremely more talented

also i dont think wallace is looking for over 10 million a year realistically

JensK
05-21-2012, 11:13 AM
I hope not. Still though, do you actually think he is a top 5 WR right now? Not talking about how he played two years ago. I'm thinking at this very moment (or lets just say in the next season).

K Train
05-21-2012, 11:27 AM
i think he definitely deserves more than holmes, vincent jackson, and desean jackson. ESPECIALLY desean. Hes really only going to get better, especially with haley who takes WRs and turns them into superstars. If wallace can get around 1300 yards and 10 TDs under arians, i think its very wise to lock him up for like 5 years

Black@Gold Forever32
05-21-2012, 03:30 PM
All the Mike Wallace hate is funny......I have issues with Mike Wallace myself at times but at the same time I think he does deserve to get paid and I know how important he is to the Steelers.......Wallace was a third round pick and didn't get the big money he now deserves since he has improved every year he has been in the NFL......The sky is the limit for Mike Wallace as a player and I want him for the long term on the Pittsburgh Steelers.......

Sojourner
05-21-2012, 03:39 PM
Hines and Wallace have (Or in Hines case had) talents in different aspects of the game. It's hard to compare the two and it's like an apples to oranges thing IMO. Hines deserved what he got when he got it I think.

Mike Wallace is a talented WR and is still improving in a lot of ways. He is definitely a great asset to us but in no way are we ruined at WR without him. We are without a doubt betterwith him than without though.

We've seen this happen many times in the past. Heck, how many years did it seem like the Steelers were the training ground for talent for the rest of the NFL? We would get a decent player, turn him into a beast, they ask for the sky $ wise and we let them move on to get the paycheck.

It's happened many times before. It will happen in the future. We always not only survive but find others to fill the roll and we keep winning.

We are better off with Wallace but if he left we would still find ways to win.

Real Deal Steel
05-21-2012, 04:01 PM
I don't consider any of this " Mike Wallace" hate. It's about a guy who hasn't shown enough to warrant what he's asking for. Plain and simple.

And I'm not buying the excuse of , " Mike Wallace didn't ask for Fitzgerald money, that was his agent." Same thing in my book. I didn't see Wallace come out and deny what his agent said so that tells me Wallace stands with his agent.

Again, I'd like for Wallace to stay but not at the sacrifice of the cohesion of the locker room. And the comment of, " I'm not going to sign until I have to" are the words of a player who sounds frustrated and upset at where he stands with the Front office. I don't want that in our locker room.

K Train
05-21-2012, 04:22 PM
what does he have to show? the man set the bar very high for any future rookie/2nd/3rd year WRs

As a rookie he filled in Nate Washingtons role perfectly, but he was much better than nate washington. He started 4 games with holmes across from him

as a 2nd year guy, he became a starter and was really forced to be the guy, forced much earlier than most WRs are ready to handle and he put up nearly 1300 yards and 10 TDs with a league leading 21 yards per catch (something holmes has done before as well)

so to sum up his first year he exceeded expectations by being better than nate washington ever was, his second year and first as a starter he had both a higher average, more yards, and more TDs than holmes ever did or has so far.

then last year with an emerging antonio brown he put up another 1200 yards and 9 TDs (still more TDs than holmes ever had in a year)

Production wise, wallace is not that far off from larry fitzgerald...talent wise fitz is better but larry fitzgeralds first 3 years he put up 8, 10, and 6 touchdowns with 3135 yards...likewise mike wallace first 3 years, 6, 10, and 8 for 3206

thats the same number of TDs and 71 more yards...being a 3rd round pick and starting a full seasons worth of games less.

also andre johnson, imo the 2nd best WR after calvin....never posted more than 9 TDs in a year

all this being said, please tell me what makes mike wallace "not a #1 WR" hes got everything you look for in a #1 and has production as a young player to get excited about him hitting his prime. Letting him walk is madness. Hes got elite speed, elite ball adjustment ability, and has improved in route running and physicality every year.

Big T
05-21-2012, 04:54 PM
what does he have to show? the man set the bar very high for any future rookie/2nd/3rd year WRs

As a rookie he filled in Nate Washingtons role perfectly, but he was much better than nate washington. He started 4 games with holmes across from him

as a 2nd year guy, he became a starter and was really forced to be the guy, forced much earlier than most WRs are ready to handle and he put up nearly 1300 yards and 10 TDs with a league leading 21 yards per catch (something holmes has done before as well)

so to sum up his first year he exceeded expectations by being better than nate washington ever was, his second year and first as a starter he had both a higher average, more yards, and more TDs than holmes ever did or has so far.

then last year with an emerging antonio brown he put up another 1200 yards and 9 TDs (still more TDs than holmes ever had in a year)

Production wise, wallace is not that far off from larry fitzgerald...talent wise fitz is better but larry fitzgeralds first 3 years he put up 8, 10, and 6 touchdowns with 3135 yards...likewise mike wallace first 3 years, 6, 10, and 8 for 3206

thats the same number of TDs and 71 more yards...being a 3rd round pick and starting a full seasons worth of games less.

also andre johnson, imo the 2nd best WR after calvin....never posted more than 9 TDs in a year

all this being said, please tell me what makes mike wallace "not a #1 WR" hes got everything you look for in a #1 and has production as a young player to get excited about him hitting his prime. Letting him walk is madness. Hes got elite speed, elite ball adjustment ability, and has improved in route running and physicality every year.
/thread

Black@Gold Forever32
05-21-2012, 06:00 PM

Ding Ding Ding.....Tell him what he won Johnny!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Excellent post Ktrain and the reasons you mentioned is why I was even against the idea of trading Wallace for draft picks....You were all for trading Wallace for picks but that is the NFL GM in you....lol

I'm hard on Mike Wallace at times but by no means do I think the Steelers are better without him or don't need him.....I don't think he is the top five best WR's in the NFL....But I do think he is top 10 and is just entering the prime of his career.......

NorCalSteel
05-21-2012, 06:36 PM
So ktrain why was he not the #1 Steeler Receiver the second half of the year? Your comment that Ben could not move around enough to get him the ball? Give me a brake great receivers react to the situation. The facts from last year if you choose to read them are exactly why the Steelers put the tag on him. They want to give it one more year. I love Mike Wallace and I hope he proves me wrong. But he doesn't have the hands of Brown and Sanders. My dream is to have all 3 healthy and starting all year and then look out!!! BTW if Fitz played with Ben his numbers would be off the chart..obviously the Steelers agree with me by how they are handling it...look what happened in the Superbowl against Greenbay Ben had no "go to guy" after Sanders got hurt. 2 min left ..the ball nobody could get open? Holmes is there we probably win that game..just saying..

Black@Gold Forever32
05-21-2012, 06:41 PM
Yea Mike Wallace doesn't make life easier for Antonio Brown and the other WR's......lol The presence of Wallace alone opens things up for the other WR's.....

NorCalSteel
05-21-2012, 06:45 PM
Its a team sport..how does fitz get all those catches you think people don't know he is going to get the ball?

ChucktownSteeler
05-21-2012, 06:49 PM
So we relent and give Wallace Fitzgerald money? Pray tell, what do we do with Sanders and A. Brown next year?

C-town

Black@Gold Forever32
05-21-2012, 06:52 PM
Its a team sport..how does fitz get all those catches you think people don't know he is going to get the ball?

I'm not comparing Wallace to Larry Fitz.......Fitz is one of those true special WR's that you can double/triple team and he still can come up with the catch........I also have said many times that Mike Wallace does indeed have some warts in his game and does need to improve....But in my opinion Mike Wallace is a top ten NFL WR and is just entering the prime of his career......Plus I can't fault the guy for looking out for his long term interest......Say Mike Wallace does report for OTA's and just plants wrong and blows out a knee or tears an achillies....then he is screwed from getting a long term deal.........

The Lakelander
05-21-2012, 06:57 PM
Welker hasn't caught a pass longer 8 yards in flight in 3 seasons (Brady's little dink-bitch!) ... Welker is one concussion from Mike Tyson's bolivian! ... Welker has velociraptor arms ... Welker deep-five's Brady on game night ... Welker schmelker!

Wallace is a better WR and would thrive just as readily as Welker ever did in Brady's dink-fest attack ... but it would be a shameful waste of Wallace's talent ...

NorCalSteel
05-21-2012, 07:07 PM
I agree he should not play until he signs his contract. Who knows what we do with Sanders and Brown next year?? Maybe that is another reason the Steelers are dragging their feet on a big contract for Wallace? I want Wallace on the Steelers long term but you cant spend all the money on "one trick pony"...lol thanks Tomlin

ChucktownSteeler
05-21-2012, 07:11 PM
Just because an organization (i.e NE Patriots) is ignorant enough Welker that kind of money, doesn't justify the Steelers giving the same amount (or more) to Wallace. I don't see the logic in this. What if they gave Welker $20 million a a year, their ignorance automatically sets the benchmark?

C-town

Black@Gold Forever32
05-21-2012, 07:51 PM
Wallace isn't a one trick pony....so tired of hearing that......I like both Brown and Sanders.....But Sanders has yet to proven he can stay healthy and really I want to see Brown do it again.....Of course I'm very confident in Brown continuing to improve as a player but Wallace has proven to be productive for multi seasons while Brown only has one under his belt......

The Lakelander
05-21-2012, 10:00 PM
Wallace isn't a one trick pony....so tired of hearing that......I like both Brown and Sanders.....But Sanders has yet to proven he can stay healthy and really I want to see Brown do it again.....Of course I'm very confident in Brown continuing to improve as a player but Wallace has proven to be productive for multi seasons while Brown only has one under his belt......

I'm certain it was this ... it happened Week 15 right? ... broken bone in his foot ... season ends ... bone doesn't heal right ... injections ... time ... more time ... training season passes ... favoritism on his healthy foot while running ... muscles aren't equalized in his running ... discomfort still in the foot ... bang! season begins ... not ready; not 100% ... team is cautious ... Brown shines ... Sanders is brought along purposefully slowly ...

But towards the end of the season Sanders was showing once again ... he'll be 100% this year and I am certain he is too good to keep off the field ...

NorCalSteel
05-22-2012, 01:00 AM
lol I was using Tomlins play on words not mine..I dont think he is a one trick pony either..

steelchamp204
05-22-2012, 03:10 AM
Look, Brown is a good young WR. A big part of that was WALLCE BEING ON THE FIELD. Defense focused shutting down Wallace more than Brown/Sander/Cotchery/Ward. To say Brown can be a #1 WR is just being a hater on Wallace. Some of you in here really think Brown will beat double teams and let the other CB's play 1v1 with Sanders(if healthy)/Cotchery anwhoever else our 4th/5th/6th wideouts will be? Give me and some of other Wallce fans a break lmfao. ALSO, LETS SEE IF BROWN CAN ADJUST TO THE LEAGUE AFTER AN OFFSEASON WHERE COACHES CAN PREPARE FOR BROWN A LITTLE MORE. SOUND FAMILIAR? ASK MIKE WALLACE WHAT THEY DID WITH HIM.

NorCalSteel
05-22-2012, 05:11 AM
yes I do. I wish all you guys would stop making excuses for Wallace. Maybe Wallace got all his inflated numbers when other teams were covering Holmes and Ward ever think of that? I am not hating on Wallace I never have. And Brown already was number one from game 7 on last year..go read a stat sheet every once in awhile will ya..geeez..

K Train
05-22-2012, 09:10 AM
So ktrain why was he not the #1 Steeler Receiver the second half of the year? Your comment that Ben could not move around enough to get him the ball? Give me a brake great receivers react to the situation. The facts from last year if you choose to read them are exactly why the Steelers put the tag on him. They want to give it one more year. I love Mike Wallace and I hope he proves me wrong. But he doesn't have the hands of Brown and Sanders. My dream is to have all 3 healthy and starting all year and then look out!!! BTW if Fitz played with Ben his numbers would be off the chart..obviously the Steelers agree with me by how they are handling it...look what happened in the Superbowl against Greenbay Ben had no "go to guy" after Sanders got hurt. 2 min left ..the ball nobody could get open? Holmes is there we probably win that game..just saying..

he became the go to guy because of absolutely horrid play calling. and really brown was at his best when the play broke down, which is an EXCELLENT quality to have but you see bens frustration with brown at times and brown is an awful route runner...definitely 3rd best of wallace/sanders/brown with sanders being the best silkiest smooth runner. im not comparing wallace to fitz in ability but the production is really not that off at all, fitz went when 3rd overall? theres a reason for his dominance its because hes special. hes a guy that can go get the ball in traffic around 9 guys...thats just not an ability that comes around every day....wanting wallace to be fitz is like wanting mendenhall to be peterson, like wanting willie parker to be jerome bettis...ect

So we relent and give Wallace Fitzgerald money? Pray tell, what do we do with Sanders and A. Brown next year?

C-town
why does everyone think sanders is gonna be hard to resign at all? the dude has done nothing in the league. Brown should demand a modest deal

yes I do. I wish all you guys would stop making excuses for Wallace. Maybe Wallace got all his inflated numbers when other teams were covering Holmes and Ward ever think of that? I am not hating on Wallace I never have. And Brown already was number one from game 7 on last year..go read a stat sheet every once in awhile will ya..geeez..

not making excuses for him. i think he has some stuff to improve on...he has moss-esque deep ball ability and hands but he needs to work on short intermediate routes and attacking the ball. hes not nearly as horrid at that as some make him seem. and no the reason for his numbers were not because of teams covering ward, james farrior could cover ward 1-1, and he played with holmes as a rookie stepping into nate washingtons slot god deep role....hes been getting the coverage towards him since his rookie year when people realized he will just blow past you if you dont keep someone over the top

steelcitysfinestXL
05-22-2012, 09:43 AM
Like Ktrain said: Attacking the ball is something Wallace needs to work on. I honestly thing Todd Haley is the guy to help with that. I look at his work turning a VERY talented Dwayne Bowe from a serious underachiever into a stud in his first year w/ the Chiefs.

Wallace is far from perfect but IMO he fits in a very rare class of WR's where he is a shade above Desean Jackson, Vincent Jackson, Greg Jennings and Roddy White... but still not in the class of Johnson, Johnson and Fitz. Welker porb. fits into the class with Wallace too due to the system he plays in and how he is used. For his numbers alone he should be in that elite class, but no one is crazy enough to say he has the ability of the top 3 WR's.

If Wallace was under contract, I would agree: "Just suck it up and get your *** to OTA's" But, i can hardly blame him for sitting out and wanting a long term deal on par with Vincent Jackson (5 years $55mil.???). He has his future to think about, that hardly makes him a diva!

Real Deal Steel
05-22-2012, 01:02 PM
Hey Mike,

Go ahead and sit it out. It's okay. Meanwhile, we'll give Sanders, Brown, Cotchery and the new guy we drafted Clemons all those extra reps. And that way they can learn your position and be ahead in learning the new offense over you.

Yeah, just kick back and relax buddy.

Your really improving your leverage by justing sitting there and letting the Steelers stew in their own juices. Yep..your value's going to be going higher and higher everyday.

And don't worry MIke, there is no way that Toney Clemons can come in his first year and do what you did in your first year by running streak patterns up the gut of the secondary and catching TD's. No way Mike. Just because Toney is just as fast as you but bigger shouldn't give you cause for concern.

Just relax Mike. The Steelers will cave in any day now and give you that Fitzgerald contract you so richly deserve.

K Train
05-22-2012, 01:18 PM
lol a contract dispute apparently makes any steeler the ****ing anti-christ

harpo
05-22-2012, 01:55 PM

For a while I thought I was the only one who noticed that.....lol.

steelcitysfinestXL
05-22-2012, 03:01 PM

Honestly! Hines Ward threatened to hold out in '04 then DID hold out until the 2-3rd week of TC in '05... I'm sure he didnt catch NEARLY the hell Wallace is from fans! AND HE WAS UNDER CONTRACT!!!

K Train
05-22-2012, 03:02 PM
Honestly! Hines Ward threatened to hold out in '04 then DID hold out until the 2-3rd week of TC in '05... I'm sure he didnt catch NEARLY the hell Wallace is from fans! AND HE WAS UNDER CONTRACT!!!

hines ward was soooo smiley and a great blocker tho

yawn

steelchamp204
05-22-2012, 03:16 PM

Question, answer Yes/No. Is this team better off without Mike Wallace? Explain.

steelcitysfinestXL
05-22-2012, 03:20 PM
best blocking WR ever... EVER!!! :sleepy: I digress, I just hope he gets a long term deal done in time to go through camp.

Steelersfan
05-22-2012, 03:41 PM
Yup. 1000 receptions and 10,000 yards. Hines must of really sucked and did nothing but smile and block.
Hines holding out is different from Wallace no matter how you look at it. Just as different as their style of play. Comparing the two is ridiculous.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

K Train
05-22-2012, 03:56 PM
please, ward was average over his entire career

and ward holding out for top 10 money is absolutely the same as wallace holding out for top 10 WR money

EDIT...we can check out some numbers though

Wards first 3 seasons: 29 starts, 1556 yards, 11 TDs

Wallace first 3 seasons: 34 starts, 3206 yards, 24 TDs

Now heres the kicker:

Wards BEST 3 seasons (years 5, 6, 7 when he was the clear #1): 48 starts, 3495 yards, 33 TDs

thats 14 more starts, only 289 yards more, and 9 TDs more

i think its safe to say that wallaces first 48 starts will SHATTER wards production over his BEST 48 starts. regardless of what team he plays for, hes far superior....and stats dont tell the whol story sometimes but here they do...they numbers arent lying. you could say ward had bad QBing during that time, but you could also say wallace had an OC that should have been aborted calling bubble screens and 9 routes every play

locking wallace up before he becomes his best is crucial, if he can crush the wonderful terrific all time blah blah hines ward in his first few years, id be really excited to see what he can do over his best years

NorCalSteel
05-22-2012, 04:13 PM
I never said the Steelers are a better team with out Mike Wallace read my posts I have always said I want him on the team and on the field?? Why would you ask me that? I just think the Steelers are waiting to see what they have in the entire WR core before putting all the eggs in one basket. I think Wallace needs to sign his offer and get into the OTA's and learn the new system. I think with a healthy Wallace, Sanders and Brown the Steelers have one of if not the Top 1-3 receiving core in the NFL. That's what I think.

Steelersfan
05-22-2012, 04:15 PM
Sorry K. While I agree with most of what you say, Hines brought more to the table than Wallace. Especially when you compare the times in career when holding out. Im not saying Wallace is terrible by any means. He will get what he deserves sooner rather than later. But you also have to remember stats arent everything. Ward played with Bettis and the Steelers werent a passing team at that point. You could look at that and say Hines was pretty damn good for being on a run first team.

K Train
05-22-2012, 04:23 PM
i think ward was a phenom as a 3rd down guy, but thats hardly a rarity....his longevity was a rarity, his production was not. im cotchery could EASILY do the same things ward did.

never ever ever viewed him as a #1, he would have been incredible with a #1 across from him his whole career but we got rid of burress and holmes quickly....it didnt work out terribly with 2 superbowls (spoiled fans for sure to bitch about this) but im sick of seeing 1s come and go and getting stuck with groups like randle el, cedric wilson, and nate washington. lock his *** up and make this group disgustingly good, or at least sign and trade....dont let him walk away with no compensation, hes too valuable

Steelersfan
05-22-2012, 04:35 PM
I agree. The steelers need a clear cut #1 and hang on to them. But knowing how they operate I dont see any getting that kind of money. Both Plax and SH could have been that if not for off field issues.
I would love to see Wallace stay for the right money. My guess is $7 mill per year and about 4 years in length. Like some have said, Wallace has speed but that will only help him so long (Parker).

Black@Gold Forever32
05-22-2012, 05:15 PM
I'm certain it was this ... it happened Week 15 right? ... broken bone in his foot ... season ends ... bone doesn't heal right ... injections ... time ... more time ... training season passes ... favoritism on his healthy foot while running ... muscles aren't equalized in his running ... discomfort still in the foot ... bang! season begins ... not ready; not 100% ... team is cautious ... Brown shines ... Sanders is brought along purposefully slowly ...

But towards the end of the season Sanders was showing once again ... he'll be 100% this year and I am certain he is too good to keep off the field ...

I like Manny Sanders a ton and in the past I proclaimed him to be better then Brown one day.........The fact remains Sanders healthy has held him back from becoming the WR I think he can be so far....

ChucktownSteeler
05-22-2012, 06:34 PM
please, ward was average over his entire career

and ward holding out for top 10 money is absolutely the same as wallace holding out for top 10 WR money

EDIT...we can check out some numbers though

Wards first 3 seasons: 29 starts, 1556 yards, 11 TDs

Wallace first 3 seasons: 34 starts, 3206 yards, 24 TDs

You have to factor in Ward's QBs and the style of play vs. Wallace if you want a true compare. I never thought it a good or true comparison if players were from different eras or systems. Bit difference in the QB being Kent Graham or Korkie and Big Ben. Ward played under Bill Cowher and his "Smash Mouth" style football and Wallace enjoyed a more open attack with a franchise QB in his prime.

The more I think on this I am hoping we either get Wallace signed to a resonable contract or ship him out. I don't want to lay out $10-12 million a year (more than Ben, Troy, Timmons, or Woodley) on one player that could jeopardize the signing or drafting of other quality players in the future. Wallace is good, but he is no Fitz.

Ward has a legitimate shot at the H.O.F., Wallace - not so much.

No one hates Wallace, we just do want him to be signed at a bloated contract that comprises future signings on other players.

Just sayin'

C-town

Real Deal Steel
05-22-2012, 07:52 PM
Mr. Wallace, take your time. You don't need to sign that tender. Take another two months off. No worries. Just keep holding out and I'm sure you'll get everything you deserve.

Just sit under those palm trees, sipping on some lemonade and take it easy Mike.

tburg68
05-22-2012, 08:14 PM

LOL. You will be nowhere to be found. Wallace will put up 1300 YD and 10 TD's, and you'll be gone. Glad you think so highly of yourself.

tburg68
05-22-2012, 08:51 PM
Sometimes I think fans of the "black and blue, working class, blue collar" Pittsburgh Steelers, can't let themselves appreciate players that excel because of actual athletic talent(Wallace, Mendenhall, Pouncey), when there are the overacheiving, tough as nails, give it all they have and then some players(Ward, Redman, Legursky), that are "Steeler type Players, on the roster.

It's ok to have players that have actual physical talent don the Black and Gold, it doesn't make you less of a Steeler fan if you like those type players, and want them on the field over the "over acheivers".

steelchamp204
05-23-2012, 12:21 AM
Mr. Wallace, take your time. You don't need to sign that tender. Take another two months off. No worries. Just keep holding out and I'm sure you'll get everything you deserve.

Just sit under those palm trees, sipping on some lemonade and take it easy Mike.

If he does that, I gurantee he will have a pulled hamstring if not worse(acl) by week 3, that will hinder him for half the season depending on what injury/how serious it is.

NorCalSteel
05-23-2012, 06:14 AM
LOL. You will be nowhere to be found. Wallace will put up 1300 YD and 10 TD's, and you'll be gone. Glad you think so highly of yourself.
Not hardly... I am a Steeler fan first. I addressed if I was wrong in the post you quoted me in..maybe you should learn to read a little better before you start questioning people..just saying..

tburg68
05-23-2012, 09:57 AM
Not hardly... I am a Steeler fan first. I addressed if I was wrong in the post you quoted me in..maybe you should learn to read a little better before you start questioning people..just saying..

I have no problem reading. I believe that after Wallace puts up another very productive year(1200+ YD, 10+ TD), you won't show up to say how wrong you were. Third option is a ludicrious statement.

K Train
05-23-2012, 10:31 AM
Sometimes I think fans of the "black and blue, working class, blue collar" Pittsburgh Steelers, can't let themselves appreciate players that excel because of actual athletic talent(Wallace, Mendenhall, Pouncey), when there are the overacheiving, tough as nails, give it all they have and then some players(Ward, Redman, Legursky), that are "Steeler type Players, on the roster.

It's ok to have players that have actual physical talent don the Black and Gold, it doesn't make you less of a Steeler fan if you like those type players, and want them on the field over the "over acheivers".
i approve this post, its very true

steelcitysfinestXL
05-23-2012, 11:57 AM
+2 Great Post... try living in Pittsburgh. I Bleed Black N Gold (Pens and yes, the Pirates too) but im also a football fan, so im able to take off my Steeler Shades every now and then.

JensK
05-23-2012, 01:23 PM

While that is true, agreeing with a decision does, on the contrary, not necessarily mean that you're a blindfolded biased bandwagon fan. There is nothing wrong to believe that Wallace is no top 5 WR. Nor is there anything wrong in believing that he is a moron to sit out and wait for some money which no team in the league apparently were willing to pay him. As someone stated, everyone, including Wallace and his agent, knows that he most likely won't get a huge contract this year from the Steelers unless its back-loaded to the degree of madness.

Neither of those statements mean that one does not believe Wallace should be paid more than 2.7mil per year. Neither does it mean that one believes Steelers to be the all-knowing entity in regards to these affairs.

NorCalSteel
05-23-2012, 07:14 PM
I have no problem reading. I believe that after Wallace puts up another very productive year(1200+ YD, 10+ TD), you won't show up to say how wrong you were. Third option is a ludicrious statement.
I gaurantee I would show up and say I was wrong before ANY of you would admit I was right. Don't question my character you ******* who are you? This is a football forum and I stated my point you better know I am a STEELER fan and you would eat some teeth doing this **** to my face. I have nothing to loose here idiot if I am wrong I am still a winner because I love Wallace and Steeler football.

tburg68
05-25-2012, 11:18 PM
While that is true, agreeing with a decision does, on the contrary, not necessarily mean that you're a blindfolded biased bandwagon fan. There is nothing wrong to believe that Wallace is no top 5 WR. Nor is there anything wrong in believing that he is a moron to sit out and wait for some money which no team in the league apparently were willing to pay him. As someone stated, everyone, including Wallace and his agent, knows that he most likely won't get a huge contract this year from the Steelers unless its back-loaded to the degree of madness.

Neither of those statements mean that one does not believe Wallace should be paid more than 2.7mil per year. Neither does it mean that one believes Steelers to be the all-knowing entity in regards to these affairs.

Which is not what I was referring to. My statement was in reference to a claim that Wallace was the Steelers THIRD best option. While I don't think Wallace is a moron for wanting to be paid as much as he possibly can get, and using skipping OTA's to try to leverage his arguement, that wasn't my point.

I gaurantee I would show up and say I was wrong before ANY of you would admit I was right. Don't question my character you ******* who are you? This is a football forum and I stated my point you better know I am a STEELER fan and you would eat some teeth doing this **** to my face. I have nothing to loose here idiot if I am wrong I am still a winner because I love Wallace and Steeler football.

LOL, don't be hurt because someone has called out your hubris. I can only hope to be half the man you apparently think you are.

NorCalSteel
05-26-2012, 07:38 AM
Maybe someday you will be half the man I am just keep trying with your little snide remarks you will get there...doubt it. Its a shame that people like you sneak in and comment a few days after the fact so you can think you have the last word...sad.. I don't apparently think anything. If it seems like I am confident in my self..it is because I am.

tburg68
05-26-2012, 12:27 PM
Guy like you, with your superior vocabulary and spelling prowess, should be nothing but confident.

steelchamp204
05-26-2012, 01:37 PM

It's easy to say that you wore out your welcome here and you havent even posted 100 times yet. Please go play internet tough guy on Call of Duty or something, them kids will listen to anything you have to say. Also it is "lose" not "loose"

JensK
05-26-2012, 01:55 PM
The art of argumentation is taking a major blow in this thread.

Black@Gold Forever32
05-26-2012, 02:35 PM
The art of argumentation is taking a major blow in this thread.

lol..........I know man........

Real Deal Steel
05-26-2012, 05:53 PM
I blame Wallace for this too. :)

tburg68
05-27-2012, 04:52 PM
Mike should have come on here and posted his displeasure with the arguing. Another bad decision on his part.

Number99
05-28-2012, 01:31 AM
I blame Wallace for this too. :)

I blame Al Gore. I'm sure he invented this *ahem* discussion.

Damn you Wallace.....Damn you!

Black@Gold Forever32
12-12-2012, 08:05 PM
bump