PDA

View Full Version : Bill Cowher or Mike Tomlin? - Steelers head coach of the century

BlitzburghRockCity
05-11-2012, 01:58 PM
I was checking out Ed Bouchette's blog today and noticed he had a topic of who's the Steelers Head Coach of the Century, Bill Cowher or Mike Tomlin?

Got me thinking and wondering what all the addicts thought about this. Keep in mind that Cowher's time is over but Tomlin is still actively coaching so things like their career records and such are going to be skewed more towards Cowher's side than Tomlin in most categories.

So who's your Steelers coach of the Century?

Cowher:
149-90-1 with the Steelers.
2 Super Bowl appearances, 1 win, 1 loss
21 Playoff games, 12 wins, 9 losses
Games over .500: 59
Divisional Championships: 9
Full Stats (http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/C/CowhBi20.htm)

Tomlin:
55-25-0 with the Steelers
2 Super Bowl appearances, 1 win, 1 loss
8 Playoff games: 5 wins, 3 losses
Games over .500: 30
Divisional Championships: 4
Full Stats (http://www.pro-football-reference.com/coaches/TomlMi0.htm)

K Train
05-11-2012, 02:29 PM
eh, its tomlin. not in love with tomlin but cowher was an average coach/great motivator

Too much martyball from cowher, too many disappointments, and too much blind favoritism...dont see that kind of stuff too much from tomlin, tomlin just isnt the personality cowher was.

also, cowher quit on them/us. **** him

LatrobePA
05-11-2012, 02:41 PM
Cowher is and was a jackass! I too don't really care for Tomlin 100% but the alternative could suck!

ChucktownSteeler
05-11-2012, 02:42 PM
I glad we had both. Each had a unique style their own.

An amazing stat for Cowher was his W/L when leading at halftime. Can't remember now, but it was unbelievable.

I can't pick.

C-town

SnakeEyes43
05-11-2012, 03:05 PM
Tough topic. In my book, Cowher is a legend. I grew up watching him yell, scream, spit, and stick that huge jaw out. For me, Cowher will always be huge part of my personal Steeler history. I REALLY like Tomlin's style and demeanor though too, it's too tough to call really.

Number99
05-11-2012, 03:15 PM
If the title is "best coach of the century", then of the last 100 years why was Noll not included? I mean he did say century. So to me Noll would have to be included in that question. If the question was meant for the 21st century then you'd have to exclude 9 of Cowher's seasons since they were in the 20th century. If Ed meant to just compare Tomlin and Cowher then the question should have read "Who's the better coach....". Just saying. :stirpot:

But between the 2 I'd take Tomlin. Just because I like his style. He's calm and cool in most intenses but when he needs to make a point he does so. But I will always love Cowher for trying to jump on the field and make a tackle. That was absolutely my favorite single memory of any Steelers coach.

BlitzburghRockCity
05-11-2012, 05:48 PM
Of this century, from 2000 on. :) (sorry if that threw ya)

I have to say I miss the fiery Cowher personality. I was always torqued up to watch a game but then to see the spit flying and him carrying on like a bashee on the sidelines, man I loved that! He was an outstanding motivator on the sidelines, no question about it.

As far as Tomlin goes though I like that the doesn't play the favorites as much as Cowher did. Tomlin still has allegiance to some of the veterans but not near as much as BC and he's just not as blatant about it. Part of that is due to him inheriting some pretty darn good players and the rest is just the way coaches do things in general. They'll never admit it but certain veteran players will always get treated differently.

He shook things up when he released Ward, Smith, and Farrior. That's something I could never see Cowher doing.

The only complaint I had with Cowher was the playoff disappointment like BG32 said. The Steelers were so predictable in those games it wasn't even funny.

I'll also say that BC's attention to the offensive line during the first 2/3 of his tenure was awesome. We may not have had any WR's to speak of and our QB's were always sub par but damnit we had an OL and a running game. lol

RobZagnut
05-11-2012, 07:37 PM
Cowher never had a franchise QB until the end. Tomlin inherited one. Cowher gets props for winning and getting to the playoffs with the likes of Brister, O'Donnell and Stewart. Right now Cowher gets my vote.

Nolrog
05-11-2012, 08:00 PM
eh, its tomlin. not in love with tomlin but cowher was an average coach/great motivator

Too much martyball from cowher, too many disappointments, and too much blind favoritism...dont see that kind of stuff too much from tomlin, tomlin just isnt the personality cowher was.

also, cowher quit on them/us. **** him

Cowher put up all those numbers without a real QB. If he had Ben, they'd have put up a few more banners. Cowher by a mile.

Cowher moved on, after he won the SB (while his wife was likely already very sick.) Can't blame him one bit for that.

LarryNJ
05-11-2012, 09:35 PM
Tomlin so far but he'll have to remain consistent which I believe he will.

I don't buy the Cowher won with without a real QB argument. He kept Stewart around long after everyone knew he wasn't going to cut it. Of his 9 playoff losses I think we were favored in all of them except the SB loss to Dallas. I put Cowher just a step above Andy Reid because of 2005. Tomlin's loss to the Bronco's was very Cowher like.

HUNT4SEVEN
05-11-2012, 10:15 PM

also, cowher quit on them/us. **** him:clap::clap::clap: Well said,i agree 100,000,000,000,000,0000%:lol: Seriously though, Coward did play to much Marty ball, if he wasn't so conservative in the playoffs, he could of had as many rings as Noll,plus Tomlin is still writing his legacy...

DBR96A
05-11-2012, 10:32 PM
I'm withholding judgment until Mike Tomlin doesn't have Ben Roethlisberger at QB anymore.

Blazedby92
05-11-2012, 10:41 PM
:clap::clap::clap: Well said,i agree 100,000,000,000,000,0000%:lol: Seriously though, Coward did play to much Marty ball, if he wasn't so conservative in the playoffs, he could of had as many rings as Noll,plus Tomlin is still writing his legacy...

Agree with K and you both too Conservative, The QB gig was Cowhers fault most likely anyways because as long as the QB didn't make mistakes his D and running game would win games until the playoffs and I think Ben wasn't his pick I think we wouldn't have Ben if it was up to Cowher plus Cowher was too much of a Players coach, stuck with players longer than he should have done.

Tomlin isn't great but he's a good coach all around hell Tomlin should have more rings too if he knew how to hire the right coaches for the job (Bruce Arians)

Root4Stlrs
05-12-2012, 12:01 AM
Tomlin gets my vote. Cowher's playoff losses to New England; his deal with Kordell I never got that. PLUS whatever the reason he mailed it in his last year.

BlacknGoldHaze
05-12-2012, 01:04 AM
Wow, I don't get all the hate for Cowher....I still think he was a better game day coach than Tomlin...... a better motivator than Tomlin.......and let's not forget that Cowher didn't have the fortune of working with Kevin Colbert for most of his career.

Steeler4life
05-12-2012, 01:50 AM
No opinion. These types of polls are pointless IMO, especially when we live in a world of "What have you done for me lately"

To many arguments here. Both have different styles and even if there is to be a fair comparison, compare it after 15 years of Tomlin. For me, Cowher took over a sub-par team and built it into something that was a threat to go all the way for majority of his years. To me he was a do more with less kind of guy. Tomlin 'inherited' a SB winning team for the most part. It can be argued that the SB against Arizona was still largely Cowhers team, his players yadda yadda but I also tend to think that not any coach could take that team and win a SB with it.

Either way, this team is becoming more and more Tomlin's as the years go by. Give it a few more years, BB's career maybe and with all these new players that have been coming on in the last few years, then make a judgement. Apples and Oranges to me. Either way, since 1992 when BC showed up, I have been as excited for each new season. I thank them both for that.

:)

Root4Stlrs
05-12-2012, 02:30 AM
I may not be alive after 15 years of Tomlin so I'm giving my opinion now.

mos07
05-12-2012, 08:02 PM
Tomlin. I cannot get past Cowher cranking up that siren at the Carolina Hurricane game against our beloved Penguins...............

tburg68
05-13-2012, 12:08 AM
My vote is that Bouchette is a douche bag.

This is 2012: Internet, Facebook, Twitter............

We don't need to pay $ for your worthless column.

elephantman
05-13-2012, 01:07 AM
Cowher took 3 QB's each to 2 AFC championchip games...along with mike Tomzak and Tommy Maddox to playoffs....Now had Big Ben Graduated college in 1992, maybe it would be different, but a decade of medicrity to 6 consecutive playoff apparences with NO franchise QB is immpresive

elephantman
05-13-2012, 01:10 AM
Tomlin gets my vote. Cowher's playoff losses to New England; his deal with Kordell I never got that. PLUS whatever the reason he mailed it in his last year.

as far as Cowhers last yr...does anyone know when his wife was diagnosed with Cancer?....he left for 'family' reasons, maybe she was sick then....lets not bash him for leaving...now had he took another coaching job 2 yrs later it would be different, but he may never coach again

SteelCityKid5
05-13-2012, 01:16 AM
Love and will always love Cahr (Cowher pittsburghese style)but its clearly Tomlin.. it took him 2 years to win a SB.. I like him because the players like him... he keeps a lot of stuff in house.. I hope hes around for awhile

JoeSteelerFan
05-13-2012, 12:55 PM
Cowher never had a franchise QB until the end. Tomlin inherited one. Cowher gets props for winning and getting to the playoffs with the likes of Brister, O'Donnell and Stewart. Right now Cowher gets my vote.

I love this post .... short, simple and practicle.

Cowher kept us competitive nearly every year for over a decade. He brought tough, smashmouth football back to the motherland; characteristics that are emulative of the coal miners and ex-steel workers of western PA.

Had Kordell Stewart been the QB many thought he could be, we would have had more under Cowher. Kordell never lived up to his billing which I don't put on Cowher.

Right now, Cowher gets my vote as well, however Tomlin can earn my vote with how he handles the next few years.

Root4Stlrs
05-13-2012, 05:21 PM
as far as Cowhers last yr...does anyone know when his wife was diagnosed with Cancer?....he left for 'family' reasons, maybe she was sick then....lets not bash him for leaving...now had he took another coaching job 2 yrs later it would be different, but he may never coach again

I can only go by what he said himself about his wife's diagnosis, and he said she was diagnosed in 2010 and died of melanoma within a few months of diagnosis. I would prefer to separate discussion of his wife and family from a discussion of his coaching. This is not intended to be personal. I did not bash him for leaving. He had a perfect right to do whatever he chose to as far as his decision to quit for whatever the reason. As a matter of fact, I think he left a year too late. He mailed it in his last year. It makes no difference to me whether he coaches again or not as to my opinion of his last year in Pittsburgh. I was never a big fan before that anyway. I think he was outcoached in several big games. I do give him credit for keeping the Steelers competitive for many years.

ChucktownSteeler
05-13-2012, 06:41 PM
Tough to pick, glad we had both. I will say this, Bill Cowher lost top flight talent year after year and continued on. Lately the Steelers have had much better success keeping their star players.

You judge on Super Bowl wins and currently both are 1-1. Everything else a mute point, IMHO. By the way, Chas. Noll is 4-0 in Super Bowls.

C-town

gtadroptop
05-13-2012, 11:26 PM
The Emperor. He inherited nothing. He sparked a Super Bowl dynasty. It all started with Chuck Noll.

Root4Stlrs
05-14-2012, 01:19 AM
Tough to pick, glad we had both. I will say this, Bill Cowher lost top flight talent year after year and continued on. Lately the Steelers have had much better success keeping their star players.

You judge on Super Bowl wins and currently both are 1-1. Everything else a mute point, IMHO. By the way, Chas. Noll is 4-0 in Super Bowls.

C-town

I don't think everything else is moot. I would agree that you might call everything else unimportant or, at least, of much lesser importance.

MDSteel15
05-14-2012, 09:19 AM
I picked Cower because I believe you meant Coach of the Decade! And being that Tomlin's first Super Bowl, which was a victory, the majority of those players were all drafted during the Cower period....

K Train
05-14-2012, 10:22 AM
people keep forgetting that cowher was inept when it came to Xs and Os. A seriously underwhelming gameplanner and a seriously underwhelming talent evaluator (when it came to choosing his personnel for game day at least)

anyone looking to bring cowher in to turn a dismal frachise around is going to be severely diappointing. Great motivator, great TV personality, merely average coach.

no team is gonna give him 15 years to win again, he REALLY benefited from the steelers love for consistency at the position

tomlin is hands down the better coach, and i dont even like tomlin that much

MDSteel15
05-14-2012, 04:19 PM
Jury is still out on Tomlin because he is just now making his picks and cuts so we shall see....

Root4Stlrs
05-14-2012, 06:50 PM
people keep forgetting that cowher was inept when it came to Xs and Os. A seriously underwhelming gameplanner and a seriously underwhelming talent evaluator (when it came to choosing his personnel for game day at least)

Underwhelming talent evaluator? How can you say that about the man who drafted Jamain Stephens using a first round pick? LOL :lol:

LarryNJ
05-14-2012, 09:16 PM
Had Kordell Stewart been the QB many thought he could be, we would have had more under Cowher. Kordell never lived up to his billing which I don't put on Cowher.

If you don't put that on Cowher, who do you put it on?

ChucktownSteeler
05-14-2012, 09:23 PM
Tomlin has had Ben. Cowher had Miller, Tomzack, Graham, O'Donnell, Kordell, etc.

Cowher gets Ben and wins it al his second season at QB.

How much talent did Cowher lose, year after year?

I still say: Noll 4-0.