PDA

View Full Version : Week 1 will be here before you know it.

Number99
05-11-2012, 11:04 AM
Now that the tsunami of the NFL draft is history the ripples of the mini camps and OTA's will be teasing us until training camp opens in July. I think we can all agree that the draft this year has the chance to be a special one. With the potential to have as many as 4 future starters and 5 players that could make a definate impact. This draft could be the best since perhaps 1987. That draft produced one HOFer in Woodson. It also brought in Lloyd, Nickerson, Hoge who turned out to be very good football players for at least a decade a piece. It also produced Tim Johnson and Thomas Everett who were also decent players.

So as seen in a few threads to date since the draft the debate has started as to which of these rookies will make the 2012 53 man roster? And to a lesser extent who might hang around on the practice squad? Here are te players I predict are locks (barring injuries of course) to at least open the season.

QB Roethlisberger
RB Redman
WR Brown, Sanders, Cothcery
TE Miller, Pope
OT Gilbert, Colon, Adams
OG Foster, DeCastro, Legursky
C Pouncey
DE Keisel, Hayward, Hood
NT Hampton, McClendon, Ta'amu
OLB Harrison, Woodley, Woirlds
ILB Timmons, Foote, Sylvester, Spence
CB Taylor, Lewis, Allen, Brown
S Polamalu, Clark, Mundy
LS Warren

So thats 35 of the 53. You'll notice that Wallace isn't in my locks. Until he signs his tender or a longterm deal, I will not consider him a lock, mostly because I think there is a chance he holds out longer then week one. That means that 18 more players will make it and about 37 others will be cut or practice squad. Of the 18 left these are the following currently on the roster I think will make it.

QB Leftwich, Smith
RB Dwyer, Rainey, Clay
FB W. Johnson
TE D. Johnson
WR Wallace, Clemons
OT Essex, J. Scott
OG Beachum
DE Bryant
OLB Carter
CB Frederick
S Allen

K Suisham
P Kapinos

In addition Mendenhall will start on the pup and Saunders will start the season on a 4 gm suspension unless he's cut. These players are the guys who I think could be candidates for the PS.

QB J Johnson
RB B Batch
WR Dixon, Maze
TE Paulson
OT Turner
OG Lee
DE Igbinosun
DT Weston
CB Carter
S Golden

Of course so many factors could change the make up of the opening 53. Injuries are going to happen. A rookie or two that might not be on the radar will play lights out and sneak onto the roster. A few rookies will flop and never be heard from again. These things happen every year. I'm sure my thoughts on this topic will change as the months go on. But this is my first thought on it. So let the debate begin! :tt02:

OK so just after I posted this I read that Kessell was released today. So let the changes begin LMAO.

BlitzburghRockCity
05-11-2012, 11:37 AM
Good thread 99, it's going to be interesting to see how it plays out with some openings clearly up for grabs that weren't in previous years.

I don't think there's any way Baron Batch winds up on the PS. He'll either be signed or released. Both he and Rainey will be battling it out for basically the same duties but they do both have different skill sets too.

Batch is a small back but he's solid, and plays with a strong, sturdy base to hold up in blitz pickup. He's quick enough out of the backfield and has good hands.

Rainey is a speed back with good hands and is very elusive and quick. He's not a big blocker though and due to his size we'll have to see how he holds up in pass protection.

connecticutsteel
05-11-2012, 12:24 PM
IMO Dwyer gets cut because of Batch .It would have happened last year but Batch hurt his knee but this will only happen if Batch is ready when camp opens.I think Clay will be cut as well

SteelerRush
05-11-2012, 12:53 PM
I am soo looking forward to this season....:cope:

coldrolled
05-11-2012, 01:02 PM
IMO Dwyer gets cut because of Batch .It would have happened last year but Batch hurt his knee but this will only happen if Batch is ready when camp opens.I think Clay will be cut as well

Wow Really... Batch wont be back. Dwyers will be our back and may be our #1 back before the season hits week 6.

Real Deal Steel
05-11-2012, 01:48 PM
Wow Really... Batch wont be back. Dwyers will be our back and may be our #1 back before the season hits week 6.

Totally agree. Dwyer will be the starter going into week # 1. Yep..I said it. Seems to me that because Dwyer came in overweight his first season, a lot fo Steeler fans are still down on him.

Some guys just don't get it right away but you just don't write them off completely like some posters have. Dwyer has more overall talent then any runningback on the roster.

Redman is just a runningback. Nice guy, decent player and I like him a lot but he's not a #1 runningback talent wise IMO.

BlacknGoldHaze
05-12-2012, 01:20 AM
I really like Dwyer to but I would shocked if he beat out Redman.