PDA

View Full Version : Will the Steelers best 5 offensive lineman actually start?

Black@Gold Forever32
05-09-2012, 11:49 AM
The five best OL will start.....If Adams proves he is one of the best five then he will start.......I'm willing to bet when training camp starts the five starting OL will be Gilbert, Foster, Pouncey, DeCastro, Colon........But when the season opens the starting OL will more likely look like this Gilbert, DeCastro, Pouncey, Foster, Colon....Unless Colon goes down again with injury then we could see in Adams in at LT and then Gilbert at RT...But like I said earlier if Adams proves to be one of the best five then he will start right away........Another factor could be Willie Colon moved to OG but until I see him actually play OG then I will have my doubts about Colon at OG......

BlitzburghRockCity
05-10-2012, 04:42 PM
BG32, you made that reply in another thread but I moved into it's own thread. I think it's a good topic to discuss. Will the team actually start the best 5 this year? The ones that earn that starting job because of their play not because of an edge they have in experience necessarily?

Will the best 5 start? I would like to think so but is Tomlin and Kugler going to do the usual thing and start players that have no business being in starting roles. Or being in starting roles in a position that doesn't suit their skill set?

Look at last year, starting Legursky at RG, that was a disaster. Are they going to start veterans just because they are veterans? You know the Steelers love to do that!

ChucktownSteeler
05-10-2012, 05:10 PM
I say by mid season or so our line is:

LT: Adams
LG: DeCastro
C: Pouncey
RG: Colon
RT: Gilbert

Chucktown

K Train
05-10-2012, 05:25 PM
I say by mid season or so our line is:

LT: Adams
LG: DeCastro
C: Pouncey
RG: Colon
RT: Gilbert

Chucktown

this would be the unquestioned best 5 imo

i really have no clue. id hate to see foster at LG but i suppose even he could look ok with that talent around him.

dont sleep on chris scott as a guard either

JollyRob68
05-10-2012, 05:38 PM
STILL LOVING MY DARK HORSE RYAN LEE. Sorry for caps. Lee,Pouncey,Decastro or DeCastro Pouncey,Lee will make AWESOME COGS for the next DECADE. Flanked by Adams(lt) Gilbert (rt)

Number99
05-10-2012, 06:31 PM
Thats the million dollar question. My bet is game 1 has it like this. Gilbert, Foster, Pouncey, DeCastro, Colon. Colon if healthy was actually a pretty good OL. But his size really makes him more of an OG. Adams could sneak his way into the starting line up but I just don't see it unless there is an injury. Which very well could happen. However I'm crossing my fingers and praying for some good luck with health this year. Good depth though is a good problem to have. Count on this story being one of the biggest talked about from now till Sept.

The Lakelander
05-10-2012, 06:45 PM
LG Adams ... footwork too good not to start (plus is athletic for his size)
LT Legursky ... incumbent gets the nod early
C Pouncey
RT DeCastro
RG Gilbert

Colon will find himself in a camp battle to become a starting guard but will have to earn his shot ...

However I can see a scenario where Legs gets dinged and Decastro is moved to the left side and Foster is plugged back in on the right side ...

JensK
05-10-2012, 08:19 PM
While some of the vets whine a little about the new playbook right now, I can't help but think that it could end up the new o-line rookies. Usually the biggest knock on the rookies is to understand their assignments and at times some technique issues. Since both DeCastro and Adams are very sound technique-wise, it would be the playbook, but they are pretty much on the same ground as the rest starters. Unless they decide to keep the blocking schemata intact which I doubt.

Nolrog
05-10-2012, 09:05 PM
With the way offensive linemen get injured, everyone will get the chance to start before long.

ChucktownSteeler
05-10-2012, 09:10 PM
LG Adams ... footwork too good not to start (plus is athletic for his size)
LT Legursky ... incumbent gets the nod early
C Pouncey
RT DeCastro
RG Gilbert

Colon will find himself in a camp battle to become a starting guard but will have to earn his shot ...

However I can see a scenario where Legs gets dinged and Decastro is moved to the left side and Foster is plugged back in on the right side ...

Lakey: You may have your guards and tackles reversed.

C-town

BlacknGoldHaze
05-10-2012, 09:21 PM

C-town

:lol:

BlacknGoldHaze
05-10-2012, 09:22 PM
DeCastro starts day one.....Adams by season's end.

tburg68
05-10-2012, 09:33 PM
Going out on a limb to predict Ryan Lee as a decade long starter?

Legursky as a starter with the talent on this line?

Colon if healthy will start.

Best O-Line is: Adams-DeCastro-Pouncey-Colon-Gilberts

K Train
05-10-2012, 10:16 PM
something to keep in mind, its pretty much a level playing field with the vets needing to learn a whole new playbook as well

Black@Gold Forever32
05-10-2012, 10:30 PM
I won't rule out Mike Adams starting at LT even as a rookie and I really think the best five OL will play period......Adams will get his shot to prove he is one of the best in training camp/preseason......Colon's health is a factor as well but if Colon proves he is one of the top five then I could see maybe a move to OG.........I really hope Adams, Gilbert, DeCastro just dominate from the job to force the issue to leave the only battle at one of the OG spots between Foster/Colon........Ktrain isn't ruling out Chris Scott at OG so I guess he will be in the mix as well.....

Njsteelersnut
05-13-2012, 09:05 AM
I dont want to see either Legursky or Foster starting.....both are nothing more than servicable back-ups.....would like to see Colon move over to right guard instead of right tackle.....if Adams can be a day one starter, and Colon looks good at right guard I think we will have a dominant line to start the season......i think Adams, DeCastro, Pouncey, Colon, Gilbert would be the best combo of starters

The Lakelander
05-13-2012, 10:07 AM

C-town

We shall see ... Adams might prove to have better footwork than Gilbert and be quicker on his feet ... DeCastro may ultimately end up on the left side by default ... especially if Foster beats out Legursky ...

coldrolled
05-13-2012, 10:37 AM
Going out on a limb to predict Ryan Lee as a decade long starter?

Legursky as a starter with the talent on this line?

Colon if healthy will start.

Best O-Line is: Adams-DeCastro-Pouncey-Colon-Gilberts

If Lee plays like his huge combine numbers. Legs may be in trouble with Lee, Lee played OT,OG and C

Root4Stlrs
05-13-2012, 06:14 PM
What is your opinion of Gilbert and how do you think he will play this year?

ChucktownSteeler
05-13-2012, 06:35 PM
Gilbert will play fine. I like the kid a lot.

C-town

connecticutsteel
05-14-2012, 01:04 AM
Colon will start at RT They have big money invested in him for him not to start .He won't move to guard IMO It's gonna be Gilbert/Adams DeCastro/Beachum Pouncey/Essex Foster/legursky Colon/Scott

If Beachum can get stronger he has the quickness and smarts to be a solid guard beachum and DeCastro have identical 40 times but i'm not comparing the two i'm saying that Beachum is quick on his feet and some may not know that

coldrolled
05-14-2012, 09:05 AM
Colon will start at RT They have big money invested in him for him not to start .He won't move to guard IMO It's gonna be Gilbert/Adams DeCastro/Beachum Pouncey/Essex Foster/legursky Colon/Scott

If Beachum can get stronger he has the quickness and smarts to be a solid guard beachum and DeCastro have identical 40 times but i'm not comparing the two i'm saying that Beachum is quick on his feet and some may not know that

What about Ryan Lee he has a faster 40 4.9 and 40 225 benches and is bigger at 310lbs He was rated at #41 guard so he is missing something... A big school or two fast left feet? noone seems to have watched this kid play..

K Train
05-14-2012, 10:18 AM
Colon will definitely start if hes healthy...not just because of the money but because hes a talented offensive lineman...people rip on him a lot, but when he was last healthy he was a top 6-7 RT and played very well in preseason before getting hurt last year....he may be starting at guard or RT but he definitely deserves a starting spot.

40 times could not mean less when evaluating linemen. I dont expect beachum or ryan lee to see the field, or even make the team really

Number99
05-14-2012, 11:44 AM

Thats quite a big opinion. Its like buying all the tickets in a raffle.

coldrolled
05-14-2012, 12:25 PM
Colon will definitely start if hes healthy...not just because of the money but because hes a talented offensive lineman...people rip on him a lot, but when he was last healthy he was a top 6-7 RT and played very well in preseason before getting hurt last year....he may be starting at guard or RT but he definitely deserves a starting spot.

40 times could not mean less when evaluating linemen. I dont expect beachum or ryan lee to see the field, or even make the team really

Lee standing next to decastro in the mini camp pics... they look like giant brothers

BlitzburghRockCity
05-17-2012, 02:44 PM
In light of the recent news about Colon moving to LG, Ed Bouchette wrote this today in his blog..

Rookie Mike Adams will go to left tackle and Marcus Gilbert will stay at right tackle, a source close to the situation told me today.
At least that’s the plan going into training camp. That obviously could change if Adams cannot handle the job but the coaching staff believes he can and quickly made that decision right after they drafted him.
It’s why they put the phone call into Willie Colon so quickly to inform him of his move to left guard.
So, as long as things work out, the Steelers offensive line will look like this:
LT Mike Adams, LG Willie Colon, C Maurkice Pouncey, RG David DeCastro, RT Marcus Gilbert.
Possible backups: T Jonathan Scott, G/T Trai Essex, G/C Doug Legursky, G Ramon Foster.

Black@Gold Forever32
05-17-2012, 06:03 PM
I'm actually excited to see Willie Colon play OG........I wasn't a fan of his at OT but I did agree with most prior before the 06 draft that Colon should be an OG at the NFL level.......I'm glad the coaching staff is going with Adams at LT....Let the kid learn from the start and yes there will be growing pains but the best way for Adams to learn is by starting right away......

BlacknGoldHaze
05-17-2012, 08:12 PM
BA didn't want Colon at guard because he thought he wasn't quick enough........hmmmm

HUNT4SEVEN
05-17-2012, 09:49 PM
Well now we know for sure it will be LT Adams LG Colon C Pouncey RG Decastro RT Gilbert all i will say is BEAST mode. Ben hasn't had a line this solid since his rookie season and we know what he did with that line...SUPERBOWL stairway to seven will be ours if we stay healthy as a team:tt02: CAN'T WAIT:banana:

Real Deal Steel
05-18-2012, 12:35 AM
I'm actually excited to see Willie Colon play OG........I wasn't a fan of his at OT but I did agree with most prior before the 06 draft that Colon should be an OG at the NFL level.......I'm glad the coaching staff is going with Adams at LT....Let the kid learn from the start and yes there will be growing pains but the best way for Adams to learn is by starting right away......

I agree with this. He'll get a good, hard, torturing camp and preseason to sharpen up.

BlitzburghRockCity
05-18-2012, 09:01 AM
I would caution that we don't know for sure that Gilbert will be at RT and Adams at LT. That's just what the coaches are doing this offseason but things don't always pan out the way you intend them too. If Adams can't handle the job on the left side they'll have no problems putting Gilbert out there and then either putting Adams at RT or J. Scott. Remember, for as much as we rag on Scott he was serviceable on the right side last year. On the left side he was a turnstyle.

The only things we do know right now is that Pouncey is at Center, Colon on the left and DeCastro will be on the right.