PDA

View Full Version : New Steelers playbook is no joke!

CowherPower
05-10-2012, 12:29 PM
Between reading the recent comments from Ben Roethlisberger about needing a Rosetta Stone to interpret it and then a tweet today from Emmanuel Sanders:

@E_Sanders88: This new playbook is something serious!!!!! Bout to go old-school and make some flashcards.

Also Ben talked about in that interview with Rich Eisen about how now that he's finished up with his degree it's full speed ahead on learning this new playbook.

Getting a new OC always comes with a new playbook and new terminiology to learn but judging by the responses of players so far it's probably more intense than they thought it would be.

ChucktownSteeler
05-10-2012, 12:53 PM
I could be wrong, but I wish this was kept behind closed doors. Why give any details to the opposition about your new system.

I guess times are a changing.

C-town

BlitzburghRockCity
05-10-2012, 01:35 PM
They aren't saying anything in particular about the plays really, just that it's pretty intense and completely different. Ben did talk about how they want to run more no huddle and pass the ball more. I'm still not convinced that they are going to go hog wild and throw it all over the place. You have to be balanced above all else.

LarryNJ
05-10-2012, 01:38 PM
I could be wrong, but I wish this was kept behind closed doors. Why give any details to the opposition about your new system.

I guess times are a changing.

C-town

Times have changed it's the information era. With all the different sports channels and websites along with the social networks somebody is always going to say something.

But they really haven't given them any details. Everyone knew it would be bigger than BA's. :) The pre season games will give you a taste of the play book but it will be the regular season before you see details.

coldrolled
05-10-2012, 04:12 PM
The Steelers have the offseason to catch up, but Roethlisberger says the entire team is "way behind" right now. When asked what is different, he responded:

"Everything. The similarities would be on a shorter list. Off the top of my head, from what I've seen so far, there's a 90 percent change. ... We're all asking each other what's going on. Coach Haley is not only coaching the players he's coaching the coaches."

Roethlisberger is making it clear that Haley still has plenty of coaching to do.

connecticutsteel
05-10-2012, 06:10 PM
It could also be a tactic tell everyone it's really complex when it's not or make teams think that they don't know it

Number99
05-10-2012, 06:35 PM
I've said this before. George Washington is the Father of mis-information in the USA. Its not hard to believe that Ben and everyone else knows the media will jump on any tidbit about the new playbook. Why not spread a bit of fiction out there to make the other teams see this as a possible stumbling block?

The Lakelander
05-10-2012, 06:48 PM
Any way it's diced and sliced, AFC North opponents won't be ready for the new look offense! ... and with our weapons that is a BIG factor!

Real Deal Steel
05-10-2012, 07:26 PM
They aren't saying anything in particular about the plays really, just that it's pretty intense and completely different. Ben did talk about how they want to run more no huddle and pass the ball more. I'm still not convinced that they are going to go hog wild and throw it all over the place. You have to be balanced above all else.

Totally agree with this. Rooney asked for this and I feel the FO has gone out of it's way to make the O-line more then capable to run the ball well. By the way..rotoworld has our O-line ranked # 11 in the NFL. Big change from two years ago.

HUNT4SEVEN
05-10-2012, 07:58 PM
We need something different, after running the same shi! for 20 years,i still believe we will more successful because teams will not know how to prepare for our offense, i'm SUPER excited for the new offense to take the field:tt02:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1179138-dont-expect-too-much-change-from-todd-haley-run-pittsburgh-steelers-offense

JensK
05-10-2012, 08:14 PM
I have to believe that this is all a media stunt. Obviously the playbook is different and probably pretty complex, but I would not at all be surprised if Steelers told the players to exaggerate a little.

BlitzburghRockCity
05-10-2012, 09:26 PM
Totally agree with this. Rooney asked for this and I feel the FO has gone out of it's way to make the O-line more then capable to run the ball well. By the way..rotoworld has our O-line ranked # 11 in the NFL. Big change from two years ago.

I'd be happy if there were ranked in the top 15 by the end of the year..LOL. I can't remember the last time we had a line worthy of a top 10 ranking. I'm super excited to see how these pan out, the talent is there on paper and now we'll get to see if all these draft picks can play together.

I have to believe that this is all a media stunt. Obviously the playbook is different and probably pretty complex, but I would not at all be surprised if Steelers told the players to exaggerate a little.

I don't know JensK, the Steelers usually try to stay out of the spotlight and keep things in house as much as possible. I just think the players were caught off guard by how different things are. Especially the veterans that have been running the same offense for eons. LOL

BlacknGoldHaze
05-10-2012, 09:27 PM
"We've been playing the game since we were able to walk, they are throwing millions of dollars at us......but we just can't get our heads wrapped around this darned new offense" ...........yeah right.

gtadroptop
05-10-2012, 11:42 PM
I don't think we're talking about the second coming of Joe Walton here.

BlitzburghRockCity
05-11-2012, 02:58 PM
From BR and the Post Gazette: (http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/trying-to-learn-foreign-language-635248/?p=0)

Haley's new playbook may be thicker than anything Miami offered, only there will be no cap-and-gown ceremony for graduates. There will be a series of exams that begin Sept. 9 in Denver.

For Roethlisberger and the rest of the veterans on offense, it's like learning a new language and a new way of doing things. What's different?

"Everything," Roethlisberger said. "The similarities would be on a shorter list. Off the top of my head, from what I've seen so far, there's a 90 percent change."

Coach Mike Tomlin hired Haley after Steelers president Art Rooney did not renew the contract of Bruce Arians, their offensive coordinator since 2007. As offensive coordinator in Arizona, Haley leaned heavily on the pass. As head coach in Kansas City, his Chiefs ran the ball a lot. He has said he will adapt his Steelers playbook to the personnel.

"Right now, we're practicing the pass because it's more complicated," Roethlisberger said. "Steelers fans and coach Tomlin and the Rooneys apparently thought B.A. was throwing the ball too much. But yesterday in coach Haley's office, we were talking about using the no-huddle and throwing the ball and how much we have to use our weapons."

Roethlisberger said fans won't notice much difference, but it's a big change for the players who have been used to doing things in entirely different ways most of their careers. They are way behind where they would have been had things stayed the same, but they have four months to get it down.

K Train
05-11-2012, 03:03 PM
i guarantee i notice lol

BlacknGoldHaze
05-11-2012, 11:49 PM
Kordell Stewart had to learn three offenses in five years......I'm sure Ben will figure it out.

Zachintosh66
05-12-2012, 02:18 AM
So now they have to upgrade from techmo bowl (Bruce) to modern day Madden (Haley), lol

JoeSteelerFan
05-12-2012, 03:41 PM
It's not that Haley's playbook is complex as much as it is Bruce Arians gave the guys a Handy Mandy coloring book along with 3 crayons that lulled them into a false sense of complacency.

Haley is just bringing the team up to where all the other teams in the league have been 5 years ago with a modernized playbook and current terminology.

Think of it as a team who finally got rid of the rotary phone and were handed their 1st iPhone as the replacement.

wyn50
05-15-2012, 05:23 AM
This is where the wonderlic comes to mind. :)

coldrolled
05-15-2012, 06:20 AM
It has to be good if its a 90% change from the old system. Hopefully the 10% they are keeping is stuff from Whisenhut..