PDA

View Full Version : Ben talks about his ankle and his offseason so far in 2012

BlitzburghRockCity
05-09-2012, 03:36 PM
Ben Roethlisberger was on the Dan Patrick show, talking about several things going on this offseason with him. Here are some highlights and you can listen to the full 9 minute interview here if you like. (http://www.danpatrick.com/2012/05/09/ben-roethlisberger-talks-about-head-injuries-graduating-college/)

On the topic of his degree: It was very important. He made promise to himself and parents to get it done and is very proud of it.

His most memorable class: Last part of an anthropology class on Tibet and knew nothing about it. He read some books and articles of the country and culture there but had to learn everything he knew as he went a long.

His degree will be coming in the mail and he's got a frame all ready for it. Getting the degree was important this offseason but now he's focused on learning the new offense that Todd Haley is installing.

On if he would encourage his kids to play football: He said he would encourage his kids to do whatever they want in life but says he won't allow his kids to play tackle football until 5th or 6th grade.

On the topic of being concerned with the impact of his style of play on his future life: I only know one way to play, and that's all out. When I'm on the field I don't think about it.

On the topic of permanent injuries: His ankle is still not fully healed. His shoulder still pops now and then. He doesn't have anything serious to this point, no headaches or residual issues from hits on the head. He credits his new helmet for helping that scenario.

On the topic of would he pull himself out of a game: Yes he would if the severity of an injury was that bad he would pull himself out.

On the topic of if teams went over the line to take him out. Things happen under the pile on the field. I don't know if I would say that anyone purposefully tried to end my career. I don't complain about hits on the field. When we played the 49ers there were some extra hits going on.

On the Broncos loss: It's already gone. You can't dwell on it.

On the Dark Knight Rises movie: We have a small role during the part at Heinz Field. I show up on the sideline. I'm a good guy. There were bunch of players who are in the movie.

On the offensive lineman in the draft: It's great on paper, we'll see what happens when they get on the field. You have to love the picks though and have I've heard good things.

Hazing the rookies: It's not smart to haze the lineman. I was out to dinner on draft day and after DeCastro got drafted I called him and he answered the phone and David says "do you have my flight ready yet" and Ben says, do you know who this is? He's like uh no. I'm so sorry, I never expected to hear from you I'm so sorry. LOL

BlitzburghRockCity
05-09-2012, 04:15 PM
I found it somewhat surprising that the ankle still is not completely healed. We knew it was messed up pretty badly but it's been about 6 months since that happened.

Man that hit he took still sends chills up my spine..ouch!

connecticutsteel
05-09-2012, 04:23 PM
He probably has bone spurs and chips floating around in there

Number99
05-09-2012, 04:23 PM
Its not to surprising that the ankle injury still lingers. Its a part of the body that you use everyday. Even after its healed enough to walk on its still not healed all the way. If he's done everything the right way he should be fine for the start of the season. I would expect that he'll take it slow in mini camp and the start of training camp. But not too slow as too get in sync with the new offense.
It's unfortunate that the Steelers didn't address the O-line sooner so that their "franchise" QB wouldn't be a walking MASH unit for the rest of his career.

LatrobePA
05-09-2012, 04:27 PM
You mean the hit that could of been completely avoided?? That one still has me pissed at Ben, live for the next down, that ball should of been thrown away! I blame that one play for the reason we didn't make a better push. He was hurt much worse than they let on and this proves it!

Goodfrom55
05-09-2012, 04:51 PM
You mean the hit that could of been completely avoided?? That one still has me pissed at Ben, live for the next down, that ball should of been thrown away! I blame that one play for the reason we didn't make a better push. He was hurt much worse than they let on and this proves it!

Granted the page has been turned, I can revisit this by simply saying you are 1000% correct. Either throw it away, or if you look at the film, Mendenhall was WIDE OPEN in the left flat as a checkdown. . .See the whole field Ben and not just what's beyond 40 yards downfield.

SteelCityKid5
05-09-2012, 07:29 PM
Id be more shocked if Ben came out and said hes 100%.

DBR96A
05-09-2012, 11:40 PM
Granted the page has been turned, I can revisit this by simply saying you are 1000% correct. Either throw it away, or if you look at the film, Mendenhall was WIDE OPEN in the left flat as a checkdown. . .See the whole field Ben and not just what's beyond 40 yards downfield.

Roethlisberger rolled right on the play because the left side of the line blew up. Throwing back that way would have been very unwise with all the traffic, and it would have been even more unwise once he left the pocket to the right because a QB is never supposed to throw back across the field. If he did that, then people would be howling about how stupid he is for doing that. At least he understands never to do that because I've never seen him do that.

Black@Gold Forever32
05-09-2012, 11:57 PM
Roethlisberger rolled right on the play because the left side of the line blew up. Throwing back that way would have been very unwise with all the traffic, and it would have been even more unwise once he left the pocket to the right because a QB is never supposed to throw back across the field. If he did that, then people would be howling about how stupid he is for doing that. At least he understands never to do that because I've never seen him do that.

exactly people make it seem its just simple at times to throw the ball away in an NFL game were its so fast paced........I agree Ben does need to throw the ball away more at times but at the same time its on he plays and you have to take the good with the bad....I'm just hoping the new additions to the OL improves the pass protection were Ben can get rid of the ball quicker at times instead of running around and buying more time which leads him to hold onto the ball more.....

DBR96A
05-10-2012, 12:03 AM
He'll never satisfy some people. Now I know how Terry Bradshaw felt.

LatrobePA
05-10-2012, 12:07 AM
Dude that play lasted 30 seconds, he had plenty of time to get rid of it! Lol

coldrolled
05-10-2012, 09:26 AM
Ben says he never quits on a play, obviously he is not lying to us.. He is a gamer. He takes his hits and sacks. thats why we love watching him play.

If he starts thowing the ball away, we will think hes giving up on the team... then the new stories will start.

Ben is Ben.. What we really need is a Kevin Kolb type backup.. A bit more quality in our second QB...

BlitzburghRockCity
05-10-2012, 10:51 AM
His statements about the 49ers possibly going over and above to hurt him are making some pretty big headlines today. Most are saying there's no visual evidence of such behavior but if Ben thinks they were doing more than normal you have to give it some credibility at least.

ChucktownSteeler
05-10-2012, 12:58 PM
They probably did, but most teams would (part of the game folks). Which QB did we have with the bad ankle and the opposite ankle was wrapped as a disguise for just such actions.

Was it Tommy Maddox? It might have even been Ben.

C-town

Real Deal Steel
05-10-2012, 07:22 PM
I'm a bit concerned that the ankle isn't better then what it is. If everything were status quo, I'd like to tell him that we don't want to see you until mid July but with a new playbook, reorganization of the O-line and backfield, we need him in there.

BlacknGoldHaze
05-10-2012, 09:16 PM
His statements about the 49ers possibly going over and above to hurt him are making some pretty big headlines today. Most are saying there's no visual evidence of such behavior but if Ben thinks they were doing more than normal you have to give it some credibility at least.

Ben needs to shut the hell up about his injuries....it's perceived as whining throughout the league. He would be much more respected if he would just shut his trap.....concentrate on learning Haley's offense Ben!

BlitzburghRockCity
05-11-2012, 10:41 AM
We should all be used to Ben talking about his injuries. He may give the media more than we'd like but when it comes to gameday that dude will suit up with one leg if he has too.

Fortunately it's only May so he's got almost 3 months to let that thing heal up, but I admit I was surprised when he said it's not 100% yet. . If we get to training camp and he's still complaining about then there's something to worry about.

Speeed
05-11-2012, 12:37 PM
Reporters ask him questions. He answers them. What is he supposed to do, lie? Say nothing? I think he speaks candidly, which I respect. If he says nothing, we will complain that he needs to update. No matter what he says or does not say, some will complain. Speaking for myself, as a fan, I want to know his opinions and his health status. It is not like he is renting commercial time or placing ads in newspapers saying these things. Give him a break!

Ben needs to shut the hell up about his injuries....it's perceived as whining throughout the league. He would be much more respected if he would just shut his trap.....concentrate on learning Haley's offense Ben!

BlacknGoldHaze
05-12-2012, 01:25 AM
Speeeed, why do you need to know about his health status...what do you or anybody else really gain by knowing the details of his various health issues.? Look at the NHL......all they tell you is upper or lower body injury...no details, case closed.

I think he would be better served to be more tight-lipped.

The Lakelander
05-12-2012, 09:49 AM
I think he would be better served to be more tight-lipped.

There goes Blaze talking about service and tight lips again ... :evilshake:

JoeSteelerFan
05-12-2012, 03:35 PM
Here's what I want Roethlisberger to say:

"Man, I can't wait for this season. I know we've had a lot of changes and I think those changes were needed and will be good for the team. I love what I'm seeing in Coach Haley's new playbook and the newly aquired draft talent will be a welcomed addition.

I for one am ready to do the work necessary to get back to the Super Bowl ... that's our MAIN goal. That's where our focus is at"

This is all I want ... or care to ever hear Roethlisberger say .... but I'm not hearing that kind of leadership.

BlacknGoldHaze
05-12-2012, 08:14 PM
There goes Blaze talking about service and tight lips again ... :evilshake:

And there goes Lakey flexing his internet muscles again...:nono:

Njsteelersnut
05-13-2012, 08:40 AM
Oh what a suprise an opposing team attacking the opposing Quarterback's injury, and what team doesnt do that. Its part of the game and im sure it goes goes on in every game every week. What did Ben think the Niners would do......avoid his injured ankle. Maybe if ben had been on the bench where he belonged for that game the Niners would not of had a chance to go after the injured ankle. It was a poor decision to have Ben play that game, he was completely immobile playing behind a line that couldnt come close to protecting him, he couldnt push off his back foot to make his throws.....being limited like that and with our line playing horrible it was ridiculous to have him on the field. Im sure if Alex Smith had come into that game with a bum ankle our defenders would have targeted iit too.......so why even make it any kind of an issue that the Niners were going after Ben's ankle.......Ben just STFU.

coldrolled
05-13-2012, 09:04 AM
Ben should have been on the bench from the time the browns wrecked his ankle till the playoffs. but we are always screwing around with these loser backup qb's and still are. It is our weakest position without ben... zero depth. zero quality.

Root4Stlrs
05-13-2012, 06:17 PM
Ben should have been on the bench from the time the browns wrecked his ankle till the playoffs. but we are always screwing around with these loser backup qb's and still are. It is our weakest position without ben... zero depth. zero quality.

At what point do you think the Steelers will address this in the draft? I know they have had other needs much more pressing, but it seems that they need to start thinking about this issue.

coldrolled
05-13-2012, 09:53 PM
At what point do you think the Steelers will address this in the draft? I know they have had other needs much more pressing, but it seems that they need to start thinking about this issue.

This is a FA fix. A good solid number 2 is in order here.

Speeed
05-13-2012, 11:42 PM
My layman's reaction is to disagree. I will put our backup QB record against any other franchise backup QB record with confidence. Say what you will, I think we have an impressive record with Ben out. Investigation may prove otherwise, but that is my initial opinion. One thing Arians was good at was devising schemes and plans for backup QB's. For whatever reason, he though Ben was from the future and could orchestrate whatever crap on a plate he served up for that week.

Anyone care to research our backup QB record with Arians and Ben?

I also wanted to add - how many other teams have franchise backup QB's? On my way to start a new thread about that . . .

Root4Stlrs
05-14-2012, 01:39 AM
My layman's reaction is to disagree. I will put our backup QB record against any other franchise backup QB record with confidence. Say what you will, I think we have an impressive record with Ben out. Investigation may prove otherwise, but that is my initial opinion. One thing Arians was good at was devising schemes and plans for backup QB's. For whatever reason, he though Ben was from the future and could orchestrate whatever crap on a plate he served up for that week.

I also wanted to add - how many other teams have franchise backup QB's? On my way to start a new thread about that . . .

I don't think many teams have franchise first string QBs, much less second string QBs. Unless you consider the Jets, of course. And maybe the Browns. HAHAHAHAHAHA I think it's time for me to stop posting. I'm procrastinating other things I should be doing and getting too punchy for this.
I think Charlie and Byron have done fine when they've been called upon. It's the age issue and the injury possibilities that are concerning to me.

coldrolled
05-14-2012, 09:21 AM

. .

Our backup QB record of games won to lost? Or the record of plays/games played then hurt?

The backups have a hard time getting out of preseason.

Speeed
05-14-2012, 12:51 PM
Overall win/loss.

Our backup QB record of games won to lost? Or the record of plays/games played then hurt?

The backups have a hard time getting out of preseason.

Blazedby92
05-14-2012, 04:40 PM
It's Ben my favorite "Drama Queen", it still maybe lingering but Ben we know your tough you don't have to milk the Iron Man award