PDA

View Full Version : Steelers ink Mike Adams

Big T
05-08-2012, 09:19 PM
Per Ed Bouchette on Twitter

@EdBouchette: #steelers come to terms with Mike Adams, 2nd pick

@EdBouchette: As with all others per CBA, Adams deal for 4 years. 4 draft picks done by #steelers

SteelDad
05-08-2012, 09:22 PM
Bouchette claims Adams bonus was NOT deferred as was stated by Colbert after he was drafted. This will be interesting.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk 2

ChucktownSteeler
05-08-2012, 09:54 PM
Bouchette claims Adams bonus was NOT deferred as was stated by Colbert after he was drafted. This will be interesting.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk 2

Adams offered to defer is signing bonus, I never actually heard if the Steelers took him up on the offer.

Great news! Thanks for posting. The others should soon sign now.

C-town

BlacknGoldHaze
05-08-2012, 10:03 PM
Let's get DeCastro signed and soon!

BlitzburghRockCity
05-08-2012, 10:04 PM
I believe chucktown is correct, Adams offered to defer his bonus and the Steelers commented as such but in the end they may not have forced him to stick to that offer.

Either way it's another draft pick signed and ready to go for the offseason.

gtadroptop
05-08-2012, 10:19 PM
Awesome. No draft pick hold-out crap so far.

ChucktownSteeler
05-08-2012, 10:24 PM
Let's get DeCastro signed and soon!

I like your thought process, oh caveman!

LatrobePA
05-08-2012, 11:04 PM
"It's like a bolt of lightning just struck me in the tip of the penis"

This team is wasting no time, I likey!!

mos07
05-08-2012, 11:19 PM
Good news!!!! Hope he makes the best of his chance....

Big T
05-08-2012, 11:22 PM
Awesome. No draft pick hold-out crap so far.

With the new CBA and Rookie Wage Scale, the contracts are practically predetermined. There's no reason to holdout anymore.

dwim99
05-09-2012, 01:31 AM
sweet... DeCastro next... and soon

BlitzburghRockCity
05-09-2012, 11:38 AM
These kids coming out of college rely on those signing bonuses to get them through the early part of their contracts until the game checks start kicking in. I imagine he did enough previously to make them comfortable in allowing him to have some or all of his bonus.

BlitzburghRockCity
05-10-2012, 12:32 AM
From our FRIEND Chuck Finder at CBS.

May 09, 2012 8:39 p.m. - by Chuck Finder Second-round OT Mike Adams reached a four-year deal with the Steelers worth a little more than $3.5 million, with slightly more than $1 million in a signing bonus, the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette reported. Initially, broadcast reports said Adams agreed to give up a signing bonus as part of his penance for lying to team officials about his marijuana use, but those were inaccurate.

- From BRC's Droid Bionic of Coolness

LatrobePA
05-10-2012, 08:38 AM
The kid needs to eat (hopefully the right kinda brownies)... Pay him!

BlitzburghRockCity
05-11-2012, 10:33 AM
More info on Adams' signing bonus, from ESPN:

When Steelers offensive tackle Mike Adams (http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/8133/mike-adams) signed his contract Wednesday, the second-round pick received a $1.01 million signing bonus.

There had been speculation that Adams would defer a signing bonus to show he could remain drug-free. Adams reportedly tested positive for marijuana at the NFL combine in February.

The reason why the Steelers put Adams back on their draft board wasn't an offer to defer a bonus. The team considered him again after he showed how much he wanted to wear the Black and Gold.

By now, everyone knows the story of how Adams requested a face-to-face, pre-draft meeting with general manager Kevin Colbert, Art Rooney II and coach Mike Tomlin to explain himself. He then had to meet certain stipulations which included counseling.

Adams grew up in Farrell, Pa., about 70 miles north of Heinz Field. How much of a Steelers fan was Adams growing up? According to the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review (http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/1293419-85/adams-steelers-draft-bauer-kid-coffman-crawford-dublin-field-guidance), he had Steelers sheets on his bed and a Jerome Bettis clock on the wall of his bedroom.

It's now up to Adams to make sure there is a happy ending to his childhood dreams coming true. He has a chance to become the team's starting left tackle this season, but that's not his priority at this point.

“I think step one is proving myself off the field because that’s where my issues have been,” Adams told the Tribune-Review at rookie minicamp. “I haven’t had any issues on the field. To prove myself to the people in this organization, the people in this city, that’s what I’m here for.”

K Train
05-11-2012, 10:44 AM
like ive said since day one adams wanted to be a steeler in the worst way

LatrobePA
05-11-2012, 11:13 AM
Bring it Mike! I like this kid!!

ChucktownSteeler
05-11-2012, 11:19 AM
Let's go Mike