PDA

View Full Version : No Huddle on its Way

coldrolled
05-08-2012, 09:37 PM
Steelers' Ben Roethlisberger: Expect lots of no-huddle

The Pittsburgh Steelers said they wanted to run the ball more often when they parted with former offensive coordinator Bruce Arians this offseason, but quarterback Ben Roethlisberger hasn't noticed too much of a change with new OC Todd Haley, the Pro Bowler told NFL Network's Rich Eisen.

"I get a little confused at times because so much has been made about us, quote-unquote, throwing the ball too much, or going back to Steeler football and running the ball more," Big Ben said on the Rich Eisen podcast, which airs on the NFL Network Thursday, 1:30 p.m. ET.

"In these meetings I've had with coach Haley, he's all about the no-huddle and using our wide-receiver weapons and throwing the ball and stuff like that," Roethlisberger said.

The quarterback made headlines this offseason after he said he was upset that the team didn't renew Arians' contract. Arians is now the offensive coordinator of the Indianapolis Colts.

"People made such a big deal about us being so upset and hissy fits," Roethlisberger said. "Nothing like that happened. You hate to see anybody that's your family leave. So that was the tough part."

Roethlisberger, who earned a degree from Miami University over the weekend, also spoke to Eisen about some of his recent coursework, including writing an essay for class on Tibet.

ChucktownSteeler
05-08-2012, 09:41 PM
Ben: STFU to the media. Let's keep the opposition guessing about the new playbook.

C-town

Black@Gold Forever32
05-08-2012, 09:45 PM
All Ben said was he expects the Steelers offense to run a lot of no huddle this upcoming season......lets not make to big of deal about this.....

ChucktownSteeler
05-08-2012, 09:46 PM
All Ben said was he expects the Steelers offense to run a lot of no huddle this upcoming season......lets not make to big of deal about this.....

Just some "Sophomoric Humor". It will grow on you.

C-town

strummerfan
05-08-2012, 10:00 PM
Ben: STFU to the media. Let's keep the opposition guessing about the new playbook.

C-town

The only mystery about the new playbook is with the Steeler fans that think Haley is going to bring back 3 yards and a cloud of dust. Those folks are in for a rude awakening.

coldrolled
05-08-2012, 10:02 PM
We all know what brady does .... We know all his plays and can call his plays most of the time. he still gets the plays executed... everyone knew arians one play too.

ChucktownSteeler
05-08-2012, 10:13 PM
The only mystery about the new playbook is with the Steeler fans that think Haley is going to bring back 3 yards and a cloud of dust. Those folks are in for a rude awakening.

The real keys are: balance, execution, and not being predictable.

Haley will do fine, but my fear is as he succeeds he will be mentioned for a HC role within 2 years or so. The better he does, the sooner the offer. Double edged sword, I suppose.

C-town

SteelDad
05-08-2012, 10:24 PM
Ben will be on Dan Patrick tomorrow. Perhaps he will add to these comments. Either way I'll believe it when I see it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk 2

strummerfan
05-08-2012, 10:45 PM
The real keys are: balance, execution, and not being predictable.

Haley will do fine, but my fear is as he succeeds he will be mentioned for a HC role within 2 years or so. The better he does, the sooner the offer. Double edged sword, I suppose.

C-town

YOu might want to go look at Haley's run to pass numbers. In the 3 years he functioned as an OC(2 Arizona,1 KC) he actually passed far more often than Arians. Weiss was the OC the 2nd year and he was fired during the 3rd.

ChucktownSteeler
05-08-2012, 10:51 PM
YOu might want to go look at Haley's run to pass numbers. In the 3 years he functioned as an OC(2 Arizona,1 KC) he actually passed far more often than Arians. Weiss was the OC the 2nd year and he was fired during the 3rd.

I was impressed with the quote Haley gave. I will paraphrase a bit, but it went something like this:

"We are going to take what the defense gives us"

That speaks volumes to me. You exploit the opponents weakness.

C-town

The Lakelander
05-08-2012, 11:23 PM

C-town

Some triple reverse psychology going on there Chucky ... we're going to bubble screen out of the no huddle from what I heard ... and run draw plays to HB David Johnson out of that formation ...

ChucktownSteeler
05-08-2012, 11:24 PM
Some triple reverse psychology going on there Chucky ... we're going to bubble screen out of the no huddle from what I heard ... and run draw plays to HB David Johnson out of that formation ...

Oh, I get it!

Hoosier
05-09-2012, 01:46 AM
We've heard this crap for 7 years... LOL

apxpress33
05-09-2012, 09:27 AM
I personally don't care if we run more pass more? as long as we score and put teams away instead of up by 3 and let the defense try and win it for us!

nick5574
05-09-2012, 09:38 AM
Shouldn't we all be looking at this as a somewhat good thing? We all know that under Big Ben the offense typically functions at a much higher level when they are in the "lightening" or no huddle package...

LarryNJ
05-09-2012, 11:05 AM
We all know what brady does .... We know all his plays and can call his plays most of the time. he still gets the plays executed... everyone knew arians one play too.

:lol:

coldrolled
05-09-2012, 11:56 AM
:cope:

I personally don't care if we run more pass more? as long as we score and put teams away instead of up by 3 and let the defense try and win it for us!

SteelDad
05-09-2012, 02:43 PM
Wrote this for the homepage today...

Here's a teaser and the link...

If you were at all shocked to hear Ben Roethlisberger’s comments regarding the potential for “lots of no-huddle” offense in 2012 my question would be… Why? In an interview with the NFL Network’s Rich Eisen which will air Thursday, Roethlisberger was quoted as saying, “In these meetings I've had with Coach Haley, he's all about the no-huddle and using our wide-receiver weapons and throwing the ball and stuff like that.”
This doesn’t surprise me at all when you consider the background of new Offensive Coordinator Todd Haley who has taken the players given him in the past and adapted his offense to them. In Arizona, he took Kurt Warner who was thought to be on his last legs, and opened up the Cardinals’ offense to the point of reaching Super Bowl XLIII. As head coach in Kansas City, Haley took a team built to run the ball and did just that as they became the number one rushing team in football.

http://www.steeleraddicts.com/2012/05/steelers-no-huddle-talk-shouldnt-surprise-you/#.T6qrrutDu5I

KemoTherapy
05-09-2012, 03:45 PM
This shouldn't come as any surprise. In the past under Ariens the no huddle was often employed because they couldn't move the ball at all w/ conventional plays lol. I view it as a bit of a gimmick but if it works it works.

strummerfan
05-09-2012, 05:40 PM
Shouldn't we all be looking at this as a somewhat good thing? We all know that under Big Ben the offense typically functions at a much higher level when they are in the "lightening" or no huddle package...

2011 no huddle

54 snaps

13 rushes for 49 yards
21-38 291 yards
3 sacks
2 interceptions

So much for that theory.

BlitzburghRockCity
05-09-2012, 06:35 PM
He's all about using those wide receivers and other weapons because the Steelers have them available. He had to tailor his offense to a ground attack with KC and they were tops in the league in that department. One of the best things about the Haley signing is that he's versatile.

I fully expect Redman to get his share of carries and have a balanced offense.

Black@Gold Forever32
05-09-2012, 06:50 PM
Todd Haley has proven as a OC and a HC that he will play to his offenses strengths.....In AZ the offense was built around throwing the ball with Warner throwing it to three WR's........With the Chiefs, he had a killer RB combo and tailored his offense around the running game.....The Steelers will be a passing offense under Haley but I expect the offense to be able to run the ball better.....Well upgrades along the OL will help the running the game......

connecticutsteel
05-09-2012, 07:16 PM
with all the upgrades to the line i expect a balance of running and passing based on the opponent's weaknesses .If they suck against the run we run it and mix in some pass if they suck against the pass we throw it if it is the Ravens we run up the score

The Lakelander
05-10-2012, 01:58 AM
2011 no huddle

54 snaps

13 rushes for 49 yards
21-38 291 yards
3 sacks
2 interceptions

So much for that theory.

:lol: ... but let's not forget that Ben was at his best every time Bruce was in the shitter servicing his barnyard trots late in the 4th Quarter ... :yellowthumb: ... at least that's what the fan base kept insinuating all those many "BA hate" years ...

coldrolled
05-10-2012, 09:20 AM
I see a haley offense using some of the best plays from the Saints, Packers, Pats, Texans..

You know the plays you see when you watch them play us and say, crap why dont we do things like this on offense, its so simple, quick and effective...

K Train
05-10-2012, 11:24 AM
http://cdn.ksk.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/2m3mdf4.gif

LatrobePA
05-10-2012, 11:48 AM
http://cdn.ksk.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/2m3mdf4.gif

WTF?lol

K Train
05-10-2012, 11:49 AM
its how todd haleys offense makes me feel too

ChucktownSteeler
05-10-2012, 12:55 PM
I like Haley's comment about "taking what the defense allowed". To me that speaks volumes. You need to be able to recognize what is working and what isn't. You need balance and execution. You can't pound a square plug into a round hole. You can try, but it doesn't work very good.

C-town

LatrobePA
05-10-2012, 01:47 PM
its how todd haleys offense makes me feel too

LOL... Gotcha!