PDA

View Full Version : 2012 is the year Ben solidifies his spot in Canton

connecticutsteel
05-08-2012, 08:04 PM
With Suggs out for the year and Andy Dalton and Joe Flacco being no match. Roethlisberger and the Steelers can give the Rooney Family an unprecidented 7th Sticky Lombardi. Ben would have 3 thus making him a first Ballot HOF'ER

THIS IS MY SUPER BOWL PREDICTION Steelers 27 San Francisco 10

NorCalSteel
05-08-2012, 08:23 PM
What more does the guy need to do? He led his team to three Superbowls and won 2(should have been 3) If he cant get in with those numbers he is not going to get in period..JMO

connecticutsteel
05-08-2012, 08:33 PM
I understand and agree totally but "people don't give him credit for the first one because it was statistically the worst super bowl by aQB in super bowl history

BlitzburghRockCity
05-08-2012, 08:36 PM
Suggs being out or in the game won't make Ben a better or worse QB. Sure he's a terror on the field but if they can't win with him in the game then there is something wrong. He was in the lineup in years past when they went to and won super bowls. Last year was a year they built their entire existence on beating the Steelers.

As far as his bust in Canton, I think a QB that goes to 3 super bowls and wins too, and has already broken several QB records and will continue to break more as he goes along will be enough in the end. The offensive line getting together and forming a long term, healthy, cohesive unit will go a long way towards that too.

The Lakelander
05-08-2012, 08:49 PM
Big Ben is a living legend ... :lol:

He's made some of the most legendary plays from the QB position in NFL history ... :bigthumb:

He's far from done ... :crossfingers:

And a new offense is just what the doctor ordered to change public perception of his vastly underestimated QBing skills ... :cope:

No predictions from me ... just a ton of anxious excitement for the new season ... :popcorn:

Goodfrom55
05-08-2012, 09:28 PM
If the line plays better and the running game is a better compliment to the passing game, then I say the Steelers have a great chance. Let's hope the "Year of the injury" doesn't repeat itself.

Raleigh Steel
05-08-2012, 09:31 PM
Big Ben is a living legend ... :lol:

He's made some of the most legendary plays from the QB position in NFL history ... :bigthumb:

He's far from done ... :crossfingers:

And a new offense is just what the doctor ordered to change public perception of his vastly underestimated QBing skills ... :cope:

No predictions from me ... just a ton of anxious excitement for the new season ... :popcorn:

totally agree with this. ben doesn't need to be solidified in canton this year, but by the end of his career he most certainly will!

ChucktownSteeler
05-08-2012, 09:36 PM
Whoa, the start of this thread took me back to another time and place.

DeJu Vue all over again.

C-town

connecticutsteel
05-08-2012, 09:48 PM
Of couse Suggs being out doesn't make ben a better player but it does make beating the Ravens easier .I normally don't predict the super bowl this early but the draft has me all pumped up .I can't wait for week 1. I AGREE WITH everytHing people are saying here but the people that decide the HALL of FAME are weird for instance they bacically said that LC Greenwood isn't in the Hall of fame because there are too many Steelers from that team in the Hall of Fame already and we can't put them all in

SteelDad
05-08-2012, 10:29 PM
Ben will always be held to a higher standard for three reasons.
1. XL performance was brutal.
2. TB set the bar in Pittsburgh at 4.
3. His off-field issues will cause some writers to turn away from him like it or not.

Either way a couple more solid years should be enough.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk 2

ChucktownSteeler
05-08-2012, 10:53 PM
I think he needs 3 SB wins to be a lock. He could still make it, but 3 wins (or more) guarantees him a bust in Canton.

C-town

BlacknGoldHaze
05-08-2012, 11:06 PM
I think playing behind a real offensive line will elevate his play and lengthen his career!

The Lakelander
05-08-2012, 11:11 PM
I think playing behind a real offensive line will elevate his play and lengthen his career!

It's spelled ... N - E - A - N - D - E - R - T - H - A - L !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Real Deal Steel
05-09-2012, 01:08 AM
I agree that Ben should be in the Hall of Fame but the reality is that there are writers who are going to hold onto those off the field issues. I think Ben needs to win it again to insure himself.

Hoosier
05-09-2012, 01:33 AM
Ben to Canton? Hell, I just want him to make it the SB this year. What comes after that can wait, as far as I am concerned.

steelchamp204
05-09-2012, 02:06 AM
He NEEDS a 3rd superbowl to be a lock. His off the field issues, people thinking hes a pre madonna, his first SB stats, the defense being as dominant as it has been for Ben making some people think he couldnt have won alot of game without the defense. All of that, no matter how much shouldnt effect him getting in, will effect him getting in. I think by the time he retires he will make it to another, maybe two superbowls. If he wins one of them, he is a lock. Right now, I dont think so.

dwim99
05-09-2012, 02:37 AM
3rd Super Bowl first... then after that, 4th Super Bowl... and so on until he retires...

Black@Gold Forever32
05-09-2012, 11:58 AM
I get so sick of hearing about Ben's terrible Super Bowl XL.......There has been many 2nd year starting QB's that lead a team to the Super Bowl....I say lead since Ben was a big factor in the Steelers reaching the Super Bowl with his play in those three play-off games leading up to Super Bowl XL............Plus lets not forget Ben's top three WR's that season were Ward, El, and the immortal Cedric Wilson....lol

No doubt the Steelers defense carried the team in the 2008 season but I do remember that stout defense blowing a double digit lead to the Cards also in the Super Bowl.....Ben had one of the greatest Super Bowl drives of all time to win that game........

The Super Bowl loss to the Pack hinders Ben from being a lock right now but really the whole team laid an egg in that loss to the Pack........That was a total team loss.......

The Steelers are still a Super Bowl favorite and really only injury will stop this team this year.....I'm not worried about the young OL or the new offensive play-book....I think those are just minor speed bumps and really the Steelers offense has the potential to be one of the best in the NFL with Mike Wallace......Wallace is the key to the season really......I like the WR core without him but Wallace really makes the WR core special......

LatrobePA
05-09-2012, 12:17 PM
My son asked why Ben never got to host SNL seeing how he won two SB's. Honestly I told him people hate Ben, be it from his past or just him personally..

Number99
05-09-2012, 02:26 PM
Well Ben has a few years left to play. And if Warner gets into the HOF in that span of time does anyone see Ben not getting it despite what he does for the rest of his career?

elephantman
05-09-2012, 05:43 PM
Well Ben has a few years left to play. And if Warner gets into the HOF in that span of time does anyone see Ben not getting it despite what he does for the rest of his career?

Warner did win 2 League MVP awards which Ben has never even gotton 1 vote for in any of his yrs so its a tough comparison...any QB is a tough comparison to Kurt Warner, who only played a full 16 game season 3 times out of 13...and all 3 times he went to SB..quite an odd career

SuperSteelers
05-09-2012, 06:18 PM
Ben will always be held to a higher standard for three reasons.
1. XL performance was brutal.
2. TB set the bar in Pittsburgh at 4.
3. His off-field issues will cause some writers to turn away from him like it or not.

Either way a couple more solid years should be enough.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk 2

I totally agree. I'm not sure if he is Canton material yet especially with the off field issues. Its going to take some tremendous numbers to get the writers to over look those pitfalls.

elephantman
05-09-2012, 07:36 PM
QUOTE=SuperSteelers;495600]I totally agree. I'm not sure if he is Canton material yet especially with the off field issues. Its going to take some tremendous numbers to get the writers to over look those pitfalls.[/QUOTE]

Ben already has great numbers

63.2% completion percentage (tom brady 63.8)
93 passer rating (Brady 96.4)
8.04 YPA which is one of ther best all time and an important stat (Brady 7.5)

he doesent 'need' another SB, just similar stats , winning seasons and playoff wins which we should expect...he will be a HOFer, just not 1st ballod unless another ring

DBR96A
05-09-2012, 11:58 PM
What sucks is, Roethlisberger's two best statistical seasons went largely unnoticed because Tom Brady broke the NFL record for TD passes during one of them, and the Steelers missed the playoffs during the other because the defense and special teams both collapsed.

In terms of his career numbers, I'd like to see him improve his TD and INT percentages a bit. I'd like for him to finish with a TD percentage no lower than 5.5% (it's 5.0% right now), and an INT percentage no higher than 2.7% (it's 3.0% right now). The good news is, his career INT percentage has decreased in each of the last five seasons, but the bad news is, his career TD percentage has decreased in each of the last four seasons. The latter is why a new offensive line and a new system is so important.

coldrolled
05-10-2012, 09:34 AM
BA is a QB destroyer... And the Pats offensive system made Cassel a millionaire. Is he still playing?

BlitzburghRockCity
05-11-2012, 10:43 AM
What sucks is, Roethlisberger's two best statistical seasons went largely unnoticed because Tom Brady broke the NFL record for TD passes during one of them, and the Steelers missed the playoffs during the other because the defense and special teams both collapsed.

In terms of his career numbers, I'd like to see him improve his TD and INT percentages a bit. I'd like for him to finish with a TD percentage no lower than 5.5% (it's 5.0% right now), and an INT percentage no higher than 2.7% (it's 3.0% right now). The good news is, his career INT percentage has decreased in each of the last five seasons, but the bad news is, his career TD percentage has decreased in each of the last four seasons. The latter is why a new offensive line and a new system is so important.

Ben is the type of player that's going to take chances so he's always going to have those interceptions. I can handle those but the ones that drive me nuts are the passes that he just tosses up with a prayer, or the ones that are so blatantly underthrown that it's easy to pick off.