PDA

View Full Version : Steelers rookie defensive lineman learning the ins and outs of 34 defenses.

BlitzburghRockCity
05-08-2012, 03:22 PM
“I got to the quarterback on one play, but the coaches told me that we are a gap team and we don’t need a Superman,” Ta’amu said"

I found this over on another forum site while surfing around and found the comments by the lead poster to be quite comical. Obviously this is someone who doesn't understand the concept of a Steelers defensive lineman is supposed to do.

WTF!! You don't want your dlineman getting to the quarterback - that assinine! And now we see why our dlineman aren't progressing the way the other areas are - I get gap control and stopping the run, but this is a passing league and you have to be able to get to the quarterback with more than just your outside linebackers....ask the Giants! This philosophy is stupid!!

Most of the people that replied pretty much put him in his place for those comments but I figured I'd share with the SA contingent as well, and see what you all think.

DL on the Steelers is all about controlling your gap, keeping your guy(s) occupied so the linebackers or blitzing DB's can get to the QB or stop the running back.

Having a 320 lb lineman bust through the line every play isn't going to accomplish the point of the 34, which is of course to have the DL hold their position and the the rest of the defense feed off of that. Besides, it's not like Casey could get to the QB every play even if he wanted too anymore than Ta'amu will be able too.

Now when Ta'amu does get a chance to bust through the line because of a broken play by the offense or just by shear will of his determination based on the play call, that's different. By in large though, it's all about keeping his guys from getting a push or moving him out of the way.

K Train
05-08-2012, 03:26 PM
damnit i love this man.

lol at the comment, ignorance claiming something to be assinine. OMG THE GIANTS PLAY WITH FOUR DEFENSIVE ENDZZZZZ SOMETIMEZZZ

BlitzburghRockCity
05-08-2012, 03:28 PM
LOL I know right, I guess the Steelers suck every year because their defensive line doesn't have 10 sacks a piece.

Number99
05-08-2012, 06:11 PM
Whoever that was on the other site who doesn't get the 3-4 he's got to be a young kid. I mean since the start of the Steelers using the 3-4 only one DL has ever acheived 2x digit sacks. That was Keith Willis way back in '83 and '86. And he wasn't the true 3-4 end as we know it today. If that guy wants the Steelers to be more like the Giants he might have to wait for a long time.

LatrobePA
05-08-2012, 06:33 PM
My boy Keith Willis as a young kid in Latrobe we use to hang with him and a few others during camp at a small arcade pizza joint. Good times! Those fn guys towered us lol!

ChucktownSteeler
05-08-2012, 07:23 PM
My boy Keith Willis as a young kid in Latrobe we use to hang with him and a few others during camp at a small arcade pizza joint. Good times! Those fn guys towered us lol!

Keith Willis and Keith Gary! Bring back the memories. Wasn't Gary Dunn the NT?

I remember Chas. Noll always commenting after: "And Gary Dunn had an outstanding game"

C-town

strummerfan
05-08-2012, 07:32 PM
WHich site are y'all referring too?

The Lakelander
05-08-2012, 08:40 PM
I happen to agree with the dissent ... If you've got 7 players in the base defensive front and only 2 or three of them have any chance of getting to the QB, you have vastly limited your ability to pressure ...

We've had the discussion over and over again at another fan site about the Steelers inability to pressure dink-dank-dunk QB's over top of the Center ... the problem has gone on for years ...

Many NFL teams have the personnel groupings to play either-or a 3-4 or a 4-3 ...

Our particular version of the 3-4 has seen long streaks of games where there was zero QB pressure ...

But to posture the matter of our defense as a matter untouchable and/or beyond discussion board conversation irritates the living shat out of me ... as a matter of debate and discussion this is should be a lively debate ...

Goodfrom55
05-08-2012, 09:26 PM
On a passing down get up the field an get the QB or at the very least, get some push so the QB can't step up and get away from Harrison and Woody. This kid is going to blow Poe out of the water as the more successful pick. No science here, just a hunch.

HUNT4SEVEN
05-08-2012, 09:56 PM
Either way it's a win,win for us,if he is getting to the QB that's a good problem to have, it means that he will be doubled team on every play, Freeing up someone else to make the play, nice... this looks like it's going to be a helluva draft class for us:tt02:

Zachintosh66
05-08-2012, 10:39 PM
That dude is dumber than Bruce Arians

The Lakelander
05-08-2012, 11:19 PM
We had a need for depth there and hopefully this kid will make the players around him (Keisel and Hood and Heyward) a bit better at pressuring the QB ...

I'd love to see some new twists with our front group ... Heyward ... Ta'amu ... Hood ... Kesiel ... with Woodley, Timmons in the middle and Harrison would be nice to see once in a while ...

ChucktownSteeler
05-08-2012, 11:26 PM
We had a need for depth there and hopefully this kid will make the players around him (Keisel and Hood and Heyward) a bit better at pressuring the QB ...

I'd love to see some new twists with our front group ... Heyward ... Ta'amu ... Hood ... Kesiel ... with Woodley, Timmons in the middle and Harrison would be nice to see once in a while ...

I really see nothing but improvement over the past few seasons. Love Aaron Smith, but he has missed the lion's share of at least the past 2 seasons.

Young blood coming in, a little depth here and there. Maybe LeBeau comes up with a few new schemes for the fire-zone blitz.

C-town

gtadroptop
05-08-2012, 11:27 PM
Keith Willis and Keith Gary! Bring back the memories. Wasn't Gary Dunn the NT?

I remember Chas. Noll always commenting after: "And Gary Dunn had an outstanding game"

C-town

CORRECT!!! Gary Dunn was the nose tackle.

The Lakelander
05-08-2012, 11:31 PM
I really see nothing but improvement over the past few seasons. Love Aaron Smith, but he has missed the lion's share of at least the past 2 seasons.

Young blood coming in, a little depth here and there. Maybe LeBeau comes up with a few new schemes for the fire-zone blitz.

C-town

I agree ... we got young in the trenches awfully fast ... now these kids just need to step up to become serious playmakers ...

Hoosier
05-09-2012, 01:45 AM
Tell that kid to google "Dick LeBeau."