PDA

View Full Version : Use Willie in WR sets ?

BlitzburghRockCity
01-26-2007, 08:12 AM
I was kinda thinking about this the other day...The chargers use LT in some WR sets, as do other teams with their backs; imagine if we could put Fast Willie out in some WR sets? The guy's speed is amazing and he can develop pass catching skills to be really effective in situational circumstances. Imagine him going out and catching a pass from Ben on a dead run, that's a TD everytime !

AZ_Steeler
01-26-2007, 09:33 AM
That would be awesome! Not to compare Parker to Bush because it's the other way around, but NO does this wiht Bush a lot plus you get a speedster lined up on the outside one on one nobody is going to stop him or be able to even keep up with him beacuse the DB's will be more conerned with the primary receivers. I'm all for it and it makes perfect sense, if you have the speedster you gotta get them out in the open to let him run wild!

BlitzburghRockCity
01-26-2007, 10:01 AM
Right, I mean Willie's got good moves, he's quick on his feet and he's got some good power so if we could get him out there in a few packages just to throw another look at the defense it could be really effective for us.

Steelersfan
01-26-2007, 11:15 AM
Did any of you see the play that Bush scored on against the Bears? *0 something yard pass or something like that. He actua;;y ran out of the backfield down the side line and was hit in stride and was gone! Was a sweet looking play. Something we could use for Willie that's for sure.

House of Steel
01-26-2007, 11:34 AM
I would be all for this scenario. See the fans can make the plays and idea, but the coaches are so damn stubborn to listen anymore. I think the Steelers on their website should allow a talk session on seeing what kind of offensive scenarios and defensive setups would fans love to see and think would work?

TEEMONT
01-26-2007, 11:37 AM
I use Willie in RCVR sets all the time in Madden (I know thats not totally reliable). I think he def has the speed to keep people guessing, but we would need to def keep Najeh, to have a decent threat in the back-field while Willie is split out.

K Train
01-26-2007, 11:38 AM
Bush catches passes out of the backfield on burner routes ALL THE TIME, i want to see some of that, have willie, santonio, ward, and heath all as passing options would be amazing, burner routes are tough to cover especially because they cant use LBs on willie...it has to be a corner or safety

K Train
01-26-2007, 11:39 AM
all the time in Madden (I know thats not totally reliable).
who says :lol:

TEEMONT
01-26-2007, 11:45 AM
who says :lol:

pretty much anyone over the age of 40 lol.

Stairwayto7
01-26-2007, 11:47 AM
TG, great suggestion! Even if he was a decoy most of the time, he is way to fast for them to not respect his speed. Break the huddle and lineup, deep post! 6 Points

58Lambert
01-26-2007, 12:37 PM
The reason why the Saints can do it so successfully is because they have 2 legit backs. They’ll have Bush in the slot and McAllister in the backfield. So, the defense still will have to honor the run threat. The problem we have is Willie is the only true back that’s a threat, which means if you line him up in the slot (like Bush), the defense can pretty safely assume we’re gonna pass. That would be ok on obvious passing downs (long yardage), but not on 1st and 2nd downs.

K Train
01-26-2007, 12:49 PM
Well that wont be a problem when we draft michael bush in the second round lol

58Lambert
01-26-2007, 01:13 PM
I personally wouldn't waste our 2nd round on a RB... I'd try to get Poz in the 1st and a DB in the 2nd.

K Train
01-26-2007, 01:15 PM
I personally wouldn't waste our 2nd round on a RB... I'd try to get Poz in the 1st and a DB in the 2nd.

poz and a DB?...thats a new one

58Lambert
01-26-2007, 01:22 PM
poz and a DB?...thats a new one

Didn't want to hijack this thread, but I think we need a LB and DB more than we need a RB. I'd take an OL over a RB given our current situation.

BlitzburghRockCity
01-27-2007, 03:42 PM
Didn't want to hijack this thread, but I think we need a LB and DB more than we need a RB. I'd take an OL over a RB given our current situation.

:plus1:

As far as Willie goes, if Ariens can come up with some schemes to get Willie 1 on 1 with a safety we could have some big results to show for it. Hell he's fast enough to outrun many of the CB's as well.

House of Steel
01-27-2007, 03:48 PM
You know, Matt, Willie puts on the Fifth gear and I guarantee you, the corners will be 15 to 20 yards back when he hits that end zone. Super Bowl XL was a great example with that historic run, he totally put the dust on the Seattle D. He is fast as a Lotus.

BlitzburghNation
01-27-2007, 07:59 PM
About Parker as WR :dunno: But they should do more screens to him and get Miller involved MORE :tt02: :bigthumb:

BlitzburghRockCity
01-27-2007, 08:41 PM
When he does run screens though at times you could see him rushing to get going to quick instead of setting up his blocks so that's something he'll have to work on but I agree when we get a good screen going, and he breaks the first wave of tacklers, look out !

K Train
01-27-2007, 08:55 PM
davenport runs a vicious screen

BlitzburghRockCity
01-27-2007, 08:59 PM
He did have some success in the screen as the year went on and he got some playing time. If he runs hard he's a load to bring down for sure. Im anxious to see what he can do with a full camp under his belt, and hopefully stay healthy as well.

BlitzburghNation
01-27-2007, 08:59 PM
:iagree:
When he does run screens though at times you could see him rushing to get going to quick instead of setting up his blocks so that's something he'll have to work on but I agree when we get a good screen going, and he breaks the first wave of tacklers, look out !

We also need to use at least 1 trick play a game,they usually work for us,at least they did when we had the whiz,,,,,,,,,, :dunno:
But mainly I just want us to eliminate the turnover's & play the way we are capable of :tt02: If we do that :tt02: our team will be very hard to deal with and we'll have a solid chance at that 6th TITLE :steelersrocksign: