PDA

View Full Version : The love affair the national media has with the Bengals draft.

mos07
05-05-2012, 10:15 PM
I was listening to ESPN radio today and Kyper (like a lot of people) said the Bengals had the best draft. He went as far to say he may pick the Bengals to win the AFC North. Really? Am I missing something?

I respected Jeff Fisher's comment that you have to be aware of the teams in your division and draft to beat them. Did the Bengals do that? I do not think so. They drafted a DB that cannot stay with T Smith from Baltimore or Wallace, and they do not have anyone on their roster to do so. From what I understand, he is a physical corner, not a cover speed guy to hang with the likes of Wallace.

Then they trade out of their 2nd first round pick and let the best guard prospect in some time fall in the Steelers lap.

The Bengals may have addressed their needs and they had a good draft in the subsequent rounds. I feel however they screwed up royally in the first round. They could have had DeCastro, but instead passed on him twice and drafted a DB who will get torched by the WR's in Baltimore and Pittsburgh.

Overall the Bengals did ok, but giving your rivals the best talent in his position in a decade and drafting a kid that does not match up perfect with your opponents just does not make sense to me.

Agree or disagree?

connecticutsteel
05-05-2012, 10:49 PM
I thought Kiper was off his rocker too! clearly a Steeler hater. There is no doubt the Steelers had the best draft in the AFC and possibly the entire league. I can't think of a better draft this year without a bunch of trading

Farrior Fan
05-06-2012, 01:04 AM
So ya'll don't believe the Bungles claim that they had Zeitler and DeCastro rated equally? http://www.cincyjungle.com/2012/4/27/2979495/paul-alexander-bengals-had-decastro-and-zeitler-ranked-equally

I know that we had a great draft, and most importantly as a fan we addressed the areas that needed improvement. But hey we are all fans so I went and found someone who isn't .... Vegas: and needless to say we are twice as likely to win the SB than the vaunted Bungles. http://www.bankrollsports.com/blog/2012-superbowl-odds/

dwim99
05-06-2012, 02:41 AM
Just the orange and black cool aid...

coldrolled
05-06-2012, 09:49 AM
well lets figure...

a 1,1,2,3,3,3,5,5,5,5 and whatever more how can you miss.

i dont get after 8 years of top picks how can they afford the salary cap?

JensK
05-06-2012, 09:55 AM
I don't understand what the issue is? You have to hate Bengals so much that you are in denial if you neglect the fact that Bengals had an amazing draft right on par with the Steelers.

connecticutsteel
05-06-2012, 12:55 PM
I don't understand what the issue is? You have to hate Bengals so much that you are in denial if you neglect the fact that Bengals had an amazing draft right on par with the Steelers.

I'm a Steelers fan of course i hate the bengals? 10 picks in the first 5 rounds of course it was a great draft for them but how could it not be?The fact that they rated Zeitler the same as DeCastro says it all Zeitler is good but not as good as DeCastro .DeCastro's feet are better he's quicker and has smoother technique.I'm gonna say that Cincy is our biggest roadblock in the AFC North this year now that Suggs is down for part or all of the season

JensK
05-06-2012, 03:40 PM
I'm a Steelers fan of course i hate the bengals? 10 picks in the first 5 rounds of course it was a great draft for them but how could it not be?The fact that they rated Zeitler the same as DeCastro says it all Zeitler is good but not as good as DeCastro .DeCastro's feet are better he's quicker and has smoother technique.I'm gonna say that Cincy is our biggest roadblock in the AFC North this year now that Suggs is down for part or all of the season

You can hate Bengals alright, but you can still be an objective person while doing so. Claiming they had a bad draft because you hate them is just stupid. Also, how does it make their draft worse than ours because they had more picks? If anything I'd say it shows that they knew how to deal with their picks and players properly. Much like another team which most of us hate, Patriots. Only, you cannot really question the success of The Patriots. As for picking Zeitler over Decastro: That is not really what they did though. They knew they needed an OG, but they also knew they needed a lot of other positions. Steelers was not in the position so they could just snack him and call it a day. Bengals still got a very good OG plus more picks, which is what they were after - how is that not having a good draft?

My point is, no one is saying Steelers had a terrible draft or anything, including myself. That is, however, not to say that Bengals draft sucked.

Real Deal Steel
05-07-2012, 02:23 AM
Bengals had a top 5 draft. Pains me to say it but that is true. But....if they actually think Ziegler is equal to Castro then that type of thinking tells me we have little to no worries from that organazation.

JensK
05-07-2012, 05:29 AM
Bengals had a top 5 draft. Pains me to say it but that is true. But....if they actually think Ziegler is equal to Castro then that type of thinking tells me we have little to no worries from that organazation.

Well, they may not have thought that they are equal but probably not too far off each other which may be right. Again, Bengals did not need one or two impact players, they needed a bunch and drafted accordingly.

Nolrog
05-07-2012, 07:23 AM
I was listening to ESPN radio today and Kyper (like a lot of people) said the Bengals had the best draft. He went as far to say he may pick the Bengals to win the AFC North.

There's no question that Cincy had a great draft. They had a lot of high picks and used them pretty well. However, it's foolish to think they could turn that into a division win this year is foolish. It takes time for kids to get up to speed and play at their top level. And they make mistakes in the process. Why do you think Steeler picks usually sit for a year (even Troy sat for a year.)

They will reap the benefits next year and beyond, but most of those guys will hit FA at the same time, so it could be short lived.

Zachintosh66
05-07-2012, 08:52 AM
Bungals did have a great draft...

Big T
05-07-2012, 09:36 AM
They Bengals did have a very, very nice draft. Kirkpatrick can play, the man is a baller. Zeitler is "ok", never really understood the big hooplah about him. I'll say this, if DeCastro was off the board and we picked Zeitler, I would not have been happy. IMO, they aren't even in the same hemisphere. I think their best pick was Devon Still in the second. DT obviously isn't a huge need for them with Atkins and Peko but Still was way too good to pass up there. I think they got great value with him. Not to mention Sanu and Charles later in the draft.

K Train
05-07-2012, 10:17 AM
zeitler and decastro rated equally is laughable....absolute comedy

i think they drafted good, but i really dont think zeitler is anything special and dre is a bad fit for them. They run such a man to man scheme and hes such a good press zone corner, he'll be chasing wallace and torrey smith into the endzone all year. its a square peg in a round hole, we saw it with kareem jackson a few years ago

BlitzburghRockCity
05-07-2012, 01:22 PM
They love to talk about how great the Bengals and Browns drafts were almost every year and continuously both teams underachieve. The Bengals are on the right track after so many years of being inept. I can't say the same completely yet for the Browns, they draft a new QB every couple of years and can't ever seem to figure out what they want to do on offense.

coach
05-16-2012, 07:50 PM
Cinci had a good draft, as did Steelers. I want to be as objective as possible, but I do think our team drated EXCEPTIONALLY well by drafting as late as we did and hardly moving (just a bit in 4th). Nobody, and I mean nobody, in here or anywhere else thought we would land those 4 guys in rounds 1-4 in that order. Now that the draft is over, they get to play each other and decide which team is better. Everything else is pure speculation.

RobZagnut
05-17-2012, 12:19 AM
Got to give the Bengals credit for having great drafts two years in a row. I want to see if Dalton can improve in his second year. That will be the key for them. But, I have a feeling they are going to regret not taking DeCastro. And luckily, the Browns keep screwing up their draft.

But the Steelers got exactly what they needed. I wouldn't trade our top 5 picks with any other teams top 5 picks. I haven't been this happy with a draft since I was bouncing up and down on my couch after they selected Roethlisberger. I was screaming so loud, "We got one!, WE FINALLY GOT ONE! (a franchise QB)". that my whole family came running downstairs to see what all the commotion was about.

coldrolled
05-17-2012, 12:30 AM
The media has to look smart. The Bengals got a 1,1,3,3,4,4,5,5,5,5 how can you not bet they come out great..

media will look good odds say...

it may not happen but the media brainics have good odds their right.