PDA

View Full Version : Myron Rolle poised to make team

ChucktownSteeler
05-05-2012, 11:02 AM
By Mark Kaboly
Tribune-Review

Published: Saturday, May 5, 2012, 12:30 a.m.
Updated 3 hours ago

Myron Rolle has had conversations with Jesse Jackson and rubbed elbows with Bill Clinton during a humanitarian trip to the Republic of Congo last summer.

He graduated Florida State’s pre-med program in 2½ years with a 3.75 GPA; he has scrubbed in for surgeries as a shadow; was awarded a prestigious Rhodes Scholarship; and received a master’s degree from Oxford University in medical anthropology.

But that just scratches the surface for this 25-year-old.

Rolle has had his own foundation for three years, he’s in the process of obtaining funding to open a free health services clinic and sports complex in his parents’ native land of the Bahamas and plans on finishing his medical degree and becoming a philanthropic neurosurgeon.

But the one thing that the Steelers safety has yet to accomplish is what drives him the most – making an NFL roster.

That might change this year, as Rolle was on the field Friday at the team’s minicamp for the first time since he signed with the Steelers in January.

“I think I have a decent shot if I do what I have to do,” Rolle said. “If I meet the standard of what Coach (Mike) Tomlin and the Steelers’ organization requires, I think I can put myself in position to earn a spot.”

After skipping a year of football to study abroad, the most success the three-year starting safety at Florida State has seen since being a sixth-round pick of Tennessee in 2010 was a year on the Titans’ practice squad.

Rolle, who is cousins with Giants safety Antrel Rolle and former Ravens cornerback Samari Rolle, went through a second training camp with the Titans last year but was released during the final cut down.

“I appreciated Jeff Fisher and the Titans for giving me that chance,” Rolle said. “I definitely appreciate Coach Tomlin and the Steelers giving me a chance here.”

Rolle signed a futures deal with the Steelers in January and provides a breath of youth into a position quickly aging. Ryan Clark is 32, Troy Polamalu is 31, Will Allen is 29 and Ryan Mundy is 27.

Rolle could provide what Allen did for the team last year — backup at both safety positions while playing special teams at a saving of nearly $1 million.

Rolle believes he is back in football shape after being away from the game for a year. He believes that’s what hurt him in Tennessee.

“Being in Oxford, where the weather isn’t great and rugby is probably the most important sport there, it is hard to stay in shape and do the things you need to do to play in the NFL,” Rolle said.

Even with his unique educational background and aspirations of becoming a neurosurgeon, football is something that Rolle is completed dedicated to now.

“After football is done, I hope my hands are still in good shape and I don’t have many concussions, so I will be able to perform surgeries on operating tables and travel and learn different cultures,” Rolle said.

Possibly losing two careers with one freak accident on the football field isn’t something Rolle dwells on.

“I can’t think about it because that will slow me down and I wouldn’t be as good a player as I possibly could be,” Rolle said. “If you look at it rationally, sure I am taking a chance, but life is about taking chances. I am excited about my opportunity here.”

Black@Gold Forever32
05-05-2012, 11:08 AM
I'm rooting for Rolle big time its hard not do......He is such a class act as a human being.......

BlacknGoldHaze
05-05-2012, 11:37 AM
:yellowthumb: He may be a long-shot to make the team but I'm hoping he does! High character, intelligent kid!

coldrolled
05-05-2012, 02:08 PM
If hes physically ready, do you think he really needs a year to learn DL's defense.. This guy isnt claiborne with a 4 on his wonderlic...

I hope he is ready to go, we need a gamble to pay off this year in the DB department. Rolle and Cortez are my picks.

How many times did harrison try to make the team?

JollyRob68
05-05-2012, 02:32 PM
Rooting for him. I also think Cortez Allen starts at FS and never gives it back. Myron Rolle will take Will Allens spot.

ChucktownSteeler
05-05-2012, 04:11 PM
Rolle certainly has the NFL bloodlines.

He has come to the right organization to maximize his chances to make the NFL:

Doug Legursky
James Harrison
Fast Willie Parker
Jeff Reed

Here's wishing him the best, he was rated a #2 round propect coming out of college. Did we strike gold again? Time will tell.

C-town

xXxHailmary
05-05-2012, 07:34 PM
I really hope he makes the team, and makes some big plays for us.

connecticutsteel
05-05-2012, 07:44 PM
I know everyone wants Cortez @ free safety but why not hope he plays corner a big fast corner is what we need let Rolle and cromartie -smith and the other Safties duke it out and keep Cortez at corner he is fast enough

HUNT4SEVEN
05-05-2012, 11:05 PM
I know everyone wants Cortez @ free safety but why not hope he plays corner a big fast corner is what we need let Rolle and cromartie -smith and the other Safties duke it out and keep Cortez at corner he is fast enough

AGREED!!!It's time to cut the dead weight.Mundy,Allen, and some of that dead weight on the o-line,I'm pulling for Rolle he is a class act and a very intelligent young man:tt02:

BlitzburghRockCity
05-07-2012, 12:56 PM
Cortez Allen played in the dime defense last year but I don't know that he's ready to take over at FS and unseat Clark just yet? He's in the mix to start, possibly even has the upper hand over Curtis Brown at this point.

Don't count out Keenan Lewis either though, I think he's poised to break out.

As far as Rolle goes, there's some opportunity but behind the 2 draft picks from last year and Lewis there may only be 1 spot left. If stick him at Safety he'd be fighting it out with Will Allen.

K Train
05-07-2012, 01:18 PM
Rolle certainly has the NFL bloodlines.

He has come to the right organization to maximize his chances to make the NFL:

Doug Legursky
James Harrison
Fast Willie Parker
Jeff Reed

Here's wishing him the best, he was rated a #2 round propect coming out of college. Did we strike gold again? Time will tell.

C-town

in what world was he the #2 rated prospect?

nice guy, smart guy...but painfully average football player and quite slow for a DB. His other cousin brian rolle plays LB for the eagles and is faster.

definite long shot, hes probably better suited to be a neuro surgeon....lets face it, a brain surgeon would out class samari and antrel in the long run lol

K Train
05-07-2012, 01:20 PM
Cortez Allen played in the dime defense last year but I don't know that he's ready to take over at FS and unseat Clark just yet? He's in the mix to start, possibly even has the upper hand over Curtis Brown at this point.

Don't count out Keenan Lewis either though, I think he's poised to break out.

As far as Rolle goes, there's some opportunity but behind the 2 draft picks from last year and Lewis there may only be 1 spot left. If stick him at Safety he'd be fighting it out with Will Allen.

anyone else sick of keenan lewis being poised to break out? the guy kinda sucks. shows a flash every once in a while but overall very unimpressive.

i think if cortez can get a shot at clarks week one start against the denver he could posssibly run away with the job....i suppose mundy has the inside track on that one.

love curtis brown as gays replacement, but the corner opposite ike should be a battle

cmerrifield
05-07-2012, 03:28 PM
I want to see Lewis with a full off season with Lake, then I will judge. I think his flashes are Lake's coaching and hopefully Lewis will work out.

sent from my Evo using Tapatalk

JollyRob68
05-07-2012, 03:45 PM
I think Cortez Allen gets the starting FS job for Denver and never lets go. Clark becomes Deshea Townsend Dime back. Lewis starts at CB & Brown is the NB.

K Train
05-07-2012, 03:52 PM
ive seen you say that a few times, clark is nothing like deshea townsend...if anything we ESPECIALLY want him off the field in dime situations lol

ChucktownSteeler
05-07-2012, 05:34 PM
in what world was he the #2 rated prospect?

nice guy, smart guy...but painfully average football player and quite slow for a DB. His other cousin brian rolle plays LB for the eagles and is faster.

definite long shot, hes probably better suited to be a neuro surgeon....lets face it, a brain surgeon would out class samari and antrel in the long run lol

I may have been wrong, here is one that has him ranked #18 out of the top 32 picks:

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=7&sqi=2&ved=0CGYQFjAG&url=http%3A%2F%2Fcfn.scout.com%2F2%2F720438.html&ei=2zCoT-zWC4Wo8gT028WbAw&usg=AFQjCNGBTxD8xMcJGadc0D8PJROXw_4Gxg

Write up:

18. Myron Rolle, S Florida State (Jr.)
This might be way too low. The prototype of an NFL safety, he's one of the nation's most intimidating hitters with great size and strength. He needs to make a few more plays with the ball in the air and has to be more of a difference maker, but all the tools are there.

Hey, I not complaining, sometimes you find the diamond in the rough. Look at Greg Lloyd, round 6 pick pick out of Fort Valley State. If it were an exact science Mel Kiper, Jr. would never be wrong!

C-town

Hoosier
05-08-2012, 01:55 AM
Great kid. He'll be a good 3rd stringer...

K Train
05-08-2012, 09:59 AM
I may have been wrong, here is one that has him ranked #18 out of the top 32 picks:

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=7&sqi=2&ved=0CGYQFjAG&url=http%3A%2F%2Fcfn.scout.com%2F2%2F720438.html&ei=2zCoT-zWC4Wo8gT028WbAw&usg=AFQjCNGBTxD8xMcJGadc0D8PJROXw_4Gxg

Write up:

18. Myron Rolle, S Florida State (Jr.)
This might be way too low. The prototype of an NFL safety, he's one of the nation's most intimidating hitters with great size and strength. He needs to make a few more plays with the ball in the air and has to be more of a difference maker, but all the tools are there.

Hey, I not complaining, sometimes you find the diamond in the rough. Look at Greg Lloyd, round 6 pick pick out of Fort Valley State. If it were an exact science Mel Kiper, Jr. would never be wrong!

C-town
im not saying that he couldnt be good, but i am saying that he probably wont be...you dont see many safeties slower than a LB be effective

SteelDad
05-08-2012, 10:51 AM
You can't help but root for the kid, but athletically can he do it? I'm just not sure, but he will certainly have my support.

coldrolled
05-08-2012, 11:29 AM
More on Rolle

Myron Rolle is a huge bargain for the Titans with the last pick of the sixth round. His intelligence goes without saying, but he brings a core competence to his playing the secondary. He's a little tight in the hips, and he didn't make a lot of big plays, but he's solid and dependable.

Rolle has great size and strength for the safety position but lacks great burst, lateral agility and change of direction in coverage. He does have good instincts and vision off the hash and likely his best fit is in two deep zone coverage schemes. Rolle tends to play high in his peddle and is a bit stiff in his hips. He is a solid run support defender filling the alley but not a "hammer" as a tackler.

ChucktownSteeler
05-08-2012, 12:45 PM
I am pulling for him. You never know, his own admission he wasn't in "football shape" when he was with the Titans. The kid has the tools and brains no doubt. I like Chas. Noll's old saying:

"There's speed and there is football speed".

They don't run a 40 yard dash in a straight line during the game.

Our F.O. has a pretty track record at finding "diamonds in the rough".

Let's hope they found another.

C-town

coldrolled
05-08-2012, 01:03 PM

Sean Spence, Myron Rolle, Troy P.

K Train
05-08-2012, 01:12 PM

C-town
theres slow, and theres blowing coverages and chasing receivers into the endzone slow

ChucktownSteeler
05-08-2012, 01:49 PM
theres slow, and theres blowing coverages and chasing receivers into the endzone slow

When has he done this? Give the guy a chance.

Maybe we should have never given Harrison chance, after chance, after chance, after chance.

C-town

coldrolled
05-08-2012, 02:53 PM

I think he means Ike...

KemoTherapy
05-08-2012, 03:38 PM
No free lunches please. If he's good enough to stick ok, but it's football not chem lab.

ChucktownSteeler
05-08-2012, 03:40 PM
I think he means Ike...

Oh, I missed that. My bad. Zoom, right over my head.

C-town

Number99
05-08-2012, 05:51 PM

Thought you were talking about Farrior for a second.

Hoosier
05-09-2012, 01:57 AM
Yep, these guys haven't played a snap yet. Why even mention their names? Even if they have had their lunch and do terrific, they still will not have had their dinner yet. Let's not even talk about midnight snacks... In fact, why would anyone mention Big Ben, I mean this guy hasn't even had supper yet!!!

K Train
05-09-2012, 10:18 AM
yeah cause playing one snap is what it takes to "mention their names"

i think you are misunderstanding the point of a message board, or threads, or just conversation and projections in general

JollyRob68
05-09-2012, 05:05 PM
ive seen you say that a few times, clark is nothing like deshea townsend...if anything we ESPECIALLY want him off the field in dime situations lol

True, I ment that as in he's on his last leg with age & declining speed. This should be his last year and I'd love to have Cortez Allen as the starting FS.

BlitzburghRockCity
05-10-2012, 04:39 PM
I would say I'm pulling for him too but the Steelers aren't going to keep 6 safeties on the final roster. Polamalu, Clark, Mundy, Allen, and if their lucky one more spot which is up for grabs between Cromartie-Smith and Rolle. CM has the edge in experience.

Real Deal Steel
05-10-2012, 07:28 PM
How much do yo like Mundy?

JensK
05-10-2012, 08:14 PM
I like Mundy a lot as a backup. He can actually cover decently enough and he plays the run at a serviceable level which is pretty much all we can ask for in a backup imo.

BlacknGoldHaze
05-10-2012, 09:33 PM
I think he means Ike...

No he meant Rolle......and I agree with Chuck, let's give this guy a chance. He may just surprise us.

BlacknGoldHaze
05-10-2012, 09:35 PM
Yep, these guys haven't played a snap yet. Why even mention their names? Even if they have had their lunch and do terrific, they still will not have had their dinner yet. Let's not even talk about midnight snacks... In fact, why would anyone mention Big Ben, I mean this guy hasn't even had supper yet!!!

And I skipped breakfast this morning.......:banana: