PDA

View Full Version : Is it too early to predict another Super Bowl championship for the Steelers?

The Lakelander
05-04-2012, 11:19 AM
The reason I ask this is because I am convinced our draft was practically perfect ...

We got our plug-n-play Guard ...

We got what is very likely our plug-n-play OT ...

Therefore our O-line clearly will have more depth and more talent than any previous year in my alzheimer's laden memory ...

We got one hell of a competitor at ILB ... a kid who will likely play too fast and too inspired in LeBeau's defense to keep off the field ... a kid who will likely free up Timmons to be more wreckless ... the speed we now have inside at LB will likely keep opposing offenses practically one dimensional ...

We were able to retain the services of WR Jericho Cotchery ... which means we have four (4) really solid and starter capable WR's on this team ... all who are dangerous playmakers in their own right ...

We beefed up our short yardage packages on offense by adding TE Leonard Pope, a beast of a blocking TE who will absolutely need to be considered by opposing defenses when he's on the field ...

By default we have upgraded our starting unit at the corner, due to Willie Gay leaving town ... while Gay was beginning to develop and was able to make sporadic plays, he was undersized and was exploited often by opposing offenses ... I am convinced that Keenan Lewis is ready to step in ... I am also convinced that we have enough young depth there that somebody (anybody) will be a virtual upgrade over what Gay brought to the field ...

Weaknesses? ... You bet! ... We are only as good on defense as Troy is healthy ... it has been that way for years now ... one player makes THAT much of a difference! ... We still have Suisham kicking our field goals, which means our stomachs will cringe every time he steps onto the field in those moments ... the health (and therefore the dominance) of Woodley and Harrison will make or break the dominance of our defense, even though I am very satisfied that we have adequate depth at LB ... those two guys are a rung higher than 95% of the outside LB's in the NFL and need to be playing peak football together once again for the Steelers to get back to a championship caliber team ... Runningbacks? ... We know we have some young kids there, and we know we don't have an elite NFL RB there ... one or several of those kids needs to play big for us right out of the gates ...

We've visited several Super Bowls with many of our core veterans ... and we have the talent around them to be damn excited heading into 2012 ...

I'll be going to camp this summer to watch these kids in pads ... can't wait frankly ... the journey has begun and I feel something very special could be possible ...

K Train
05-04-2012, 11:21 AM
i dont think troy is that much of an impact anymore....they dont just live and die by him

steelers are clear favorites in the AFC after the domination i like to call the 2012 NFL draft. Biggest weaknesses all could be turned into biggest strengths

cant wait to see what todd haley can do with the offense and cant wait to see what carnell lake does with the DBs

Real Deal Steel
05-04-2012, 11:22 AM
It's a bit premature to say Championship but we are strongly headed in that direction. We need for some players to pan out for us to upgrade to Super Bowl thinking this year. But again..we are not far off!

LarryNJ
05-04-2012, 12:49 PM
It's never too early. :) We should expect to compete for it almost every year. We certainly have enough going for us to be playing in February.

BlitzburghRockCity
05-04-2012, 01:05 PM
On paper, the Steelers are definitely a front runner in the AFC no question. They usually are every year even with a porous offensive line and an aging defense. Now you throw in two top offensive line draft picks, a fast linebacker in the 3rd round, a new hungry NT in Ta'amu, and a shoot out at cornerback and it's something to definitely be excited about.

I can't wait to see what Todd Haley does to bring this all together!

SnakeEyes43
05-04-2012, 01:25 PM
I was thinking this too. We really seem like the top dogs in the AFC right now. I know it's early, but if this team stays healthy, they will go deep into the post season.

So many exciting prospects this year. This is the most excited I have been (this early) in a long time, usually I don't get super fired up until around mid-late July.

chisteeler
05-04-2012, 01:39 PM
Sometimes all a team needs is just a small spark to set the league on Fire. I think the Steelers have certainly done this with the new OC, player changes and the draft. So in the words of John "Hannibal" Smith from the A-Team..."I love it when a plan comes together."

dwim99
05-04-2012, 06:15 PM
I don't think it's too early. The draft is certainly hopeful especially with the veterans already in... I can see Steelers in Super Bowl

Nolrog
05-04-2012, 06:26 PM
i dont think troy is that much of an impact anymore....they dont just live and die by him

Troy did quite well last year considering how little pressure we put on the opposing QB. He was just a half step off from making a lot of big plays. I expect him to come up big this year.

Nolrog
05-04-2012, 06:27 PM
I was thinking this too. We really seem like the top dogs in the AFC right now. I know it's early, but if this team stays healthy, they will go deep into the post season.

New England is the top dog until someone knocks them off. They had a very good draft too, and were starting with one of the best offenses in football.

Real Deal Steel
05-04-2012, 07:41 PM
Are we the top dog considering what the Patriots did in the draft too? I think we are right there with the Patriots but I can't discount what they did to upgrade their defense.

But our wide receivers would have an absolulte field day against the Patriots secondary.

HUNT4SEVEN
05-04-2012, 09:15 PM
If we stay healthy this year, we WILL be in the Superbowl in Feb, Our Offense is NEW, meaning we will dominate the Line of scrimmage with the O-Line that was just put together, and we will run the ball more effectively, and surprise alot of teams with plays they don't expect lol trick plays also Haley likes trick plays, our defense will have more rest and that will keep them healthier and fresher week in anf week out, and our special teams will block atleast 5 punts/FG's thanks to Raniey, meaning our special teams will score sum points this year, yes we will be a threat to score from all 3 phases of the game this year:tt02:

Goodfrom55
05-04-2012, 09:44 PM
Will be interesting to see how teams defend the Steelers "O" this season. With potential upgrades to the O-Line ans the speed at WR, if they Line can keep Ben upright, couple that with a brand new offense, Steelers will be hard to defend this season. If we can just get a quality kicker, we'd be set.

steelspikes
05-04-2012, 10:05 PM
Yes, it's way too early. Wait until at least Wk. 8 or 9 b4 dreaming of championships. One never knows how well drafts will pan out; most recommend that the only accurate evaluation is possible after a period of three years. Injuries are another unpredictable factor. Steelers have a tough schedule this year. Given some of Ravens recent losses to free agency and the Suggs injury, they will be the AFC North favorite. But expect the Bengals to be a tougher out this year. Pats have beefed up their defense also.

connecticutsteel
05-04-2012, 11:17 PM
New England is the top dog until someone knocks them off. They had a very good draft too, and were starting with one of the best offenses in football.

New England 's offense is not the same the law firm is gone so they will be as one dimentional as ever we destroed them last year.It's amazing how bad we can smash them when they don't have atape of our practice HMMMMM!

BlacknGoldHaze
05-05-2012, 12:31 AM
We have to be the early favorites to contend for a title.....but weird things happen every year....if we can stay healthy, who knows...

steelchamp204
05-05-2012, 12:40 AM
LMFAO, is this a serious question?

The Lakelander
05-05-2012, 08:18 AM
LMFAO, is this a serious question?

Not really ... but on these chat boards I have always taken it upon myself to invigorate conversations ... it makes logging in and wasting time to be more enjoyable ... :yesnod:

Nolrog
05-05-2012, 08:23 AM
New England 's offense is not the same the law firm is gone so they will be as one dimentional as ever we destroed them last year.It's amazing how bad we can smash them when they don't have atape of our practice HMMMMM!

Last time I looked, they were the AFC Super Bowl participant, law firm or not.

gtadroptop
05-05-2012, 09:09 AM
Last time I looked, they were the AFC Super Bowl participant, law firm or not.

Very true. I actually found them to be tolerable as the AFC team representative. I don't think I could have handled seeing Ray Ray and the boys or hearing the media's Tebow hype in that game.

But that was last year.

ChucktownSteeler
05-05-2012, 10:08 AM
Time will tell, but staying healthy is definitely a key ingredient. Also, add Haley's new offense to the mix and a solid draft we have as good a chance as any. The defensive fromt 7 should be improved with a year under their belt and new NT, a healthy Harrison and Woodley can't be overlooked.

Wildcard: Peyton in Denver: What does that hold?

C-town

dwim99
05-05-2012, 05:51 PM
Well, judging by how the Denver did last year under Tebow, if Denver is able to keep that team intact (I don't knwo if they do or not) and just plug in Manning, they could be the team to beat. But I am still confident that this new Steelers offensive line could be a huge help in beating them in the playoffs.

coldrolled
05-06-2012, 09:26 AM

We need to start scoring big time against the loser teams and start putting up 26+ points a game every week.

The Pats were in the SB with a zero defense.

steelchamp204
05-06-2012, 12:02 PM
Anything can happen, If I would have asked before last season that "Do you think we would lose to the denver bronco's in the playoffs with Tim Tebow as the QB and he just threw all over us." People would have thought I was crazy. Anything can happen, I just want to see a healthy tm this year all year.

Root4Stlrs
05-06-2012, 09:32 PM
Anything can happen, If I would have asked before last season that "Do you think we would lose to the denver bronco's in the playoffs with Tim Tebow as the QB and he just threw all over us." People would have thought I was crazy. Anything can happen, I just want to see a healthy tm this year all year.

Those are my sentiments exactly. I hope the injury bug visits other cities besides Pittsburgh this year. And also that the additions to the offensive line make a difference in Ben's health. Anticipating the new season is exciting, but you really do never know what can happen.

CowherPower
05-07-2012, 04:10 PM
That damn loss to the Broncos still stings. I'm not over it yet. Every time NFL Network shows that stupid highlight I want to put my fist through the friggin window.

Technically, sure it's too early but it's the offseason so why not right! :) On paper hell yes I'm excited. Finally the offensive line help we needed and some more youth on the defensive line to help combat father time that was quickly catching up with them.

Hoosier
05-08-2012, 01:00 AM
New England? LOL

The Steelers are in it to win it. If this team stays relatively healthy and the youngsters can live up to a fraction of the hype associated with them, then it has just as good a chance as any other team.

coldrolled
05-08-2012, 06:58 AM
New England? LOL

The Steelers are in it to win it. If this team stays relatively healthy and the youngsters can live up to a fraction of the hype associated with them, then it has just as good a chance as any other team.

Of course NE. They only draft Pro Bowlers and trade old men for first round picks. The NFL Media loves them.