PDA

View Full Version : Baron Batch not yet ready to practice; another sign that Mendenhall might not play this year?

BlitzburghRockCity
05-04-2012, 10:25 AM
After almost 9 nine months of recovery since having ACL surgery, Batch is not yet ready to participate in off season work outs with the team. Even though he feels great, he says in his tweets and blog, he's apparently not yet ready to put that knee through the rigors of an NFL workout just yet.

Ed Bouchette (http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=116234) wrote about this today in his blog, and how this also could be a sign of Mendenhall's status for this season. (excerpt below)

Barron Batch will not practice with the rookies and some first-year players over the weekend, even though he is eligible to do so.

Batch isn’t yet ready to practice after having ACL surgery in the middle of August. So, nearly nine months later, he apparently has not been cleared to go.

It’s another reason to believe that Rashard Mendenhall might not play this season. He had surgery in mid-January. If he follows Batch’s schedule, he still won’t be ready to go in mid-October. He’ll open the season on PUP. After six weeks, he can practice for three weeks (or not, if he cannot). After those three weeks, the Steelers would have to decide whether to put him on the 53-man roster, or keep him on PUP for the rest of the season.

That means the Steelers will have the week before their Nov. 18 game against Baltimore to decide whether to activate Mendenhall or put him on the shelf for the season and, if that happens, likely never see him in a Steelers uniform again.

Everybody heals differently but 9 months is the normal minimum time for recovery and even that's not long enough the majority of the time.

connecticutsteel
05-04-2012, 12:09 PM
I was hoping to see baron play but this tells me that it was more than just an ACL tear he may never play a down for the Steelers WHICH IS UNFORTUNATE

Real Deal Steel
05-04-2012, 12:12 PM
Wow. That's too bad for Batch. Rainey will get all the chances in the world to be the change of pace back.

I wonder who would be the best free agent addition for the backfield?

K Train
05-04-2012, 12:15 PM
free agent? ryan grant i guess, maybe benson even though im not crazy about that one.

i dont think we'll see any of batch, i think rainey has the inside track on that roster spot plus he offers as a return man

Real Deal Steel
05-04-2012, 12:20 PM
The way it's looking, they could get an injury settlement and release Batch. I"m not wishing for that but I'm just saying...

cmerrifield
05-04-2012, 12:36 PM
The way it's looking, they could get an injury settlement and release Batch. I"m not wishing for that but I'm just saying...

He is saying he is not out there because he is not required to be. No reason not to keep him, we have 90 roster spots and its only May. Giving him an injury settlement when he will be ready would not make any sense.

sent from my Evo using Tapatalk

Farrior Fan
05-04-2012, 12:52 PM
I really like Baron, go read his blog if you havent already. His performance in workouts last year proves he has the will and body to perform....its just whether or not his body will cooperate. I am really cheering for this kid.

K Train
05-04-2012, 01:05 PM
i get that people like him but i TC report that he blocked james harrison on backs on backers isnt enough to excite me.

id be surprised if he ever plays a down for us at this point if he cant get healthy for a full TC and preseason. weve never even seen the guy carry the ball and he really didnt that much at TT

Real Deal Steel
05-04-2012, 01:17 PM
He is saying he is not out there because he is not required to be. No reason not to keep him, we have 90 roster spots and its only May. Giving him an injury settlement when he will be ready would not make any sense.

sent from my Evo using Tapatalk

It is only May, and your right about that. But i wasn't saying they would do an injury settlement right now, this minute. I'm talking that it could take place within the next 4 months depending on his recovery and factoring in if they just don't decide to go to a veteran because they already have a rookie in Rainey.

LarryNJ
05-04-2012, 01:46 PM
I was hoping to see baron play but this tells me that it was more than just an ACL tear he may never play a down for the Steelers WHICH IS UNFORTUNATE

Why does it tell you it's more than an ACL tear? I always thought an ACL was a 1 year injury and it's just been 9 months.

BlitzburghRockCity
05-04-2012, 02:00 PM
Batch's surgery went fine but the recovery time is always 9-12 months so we shouldn't read into any more than that. The good thing is that, in theory, he should be ready to go full bore at training camp. If he needs a couple more months to get back to where he needs to be then that's fine.

The Lakelander
05-04-2012, 02:15 PM
I agree ... way too preliminary to write a young hungry talented kid off ... ACL's really take two years before the player has regained total confidence ... the initial time back is typically tentative and cautious (especially when making cuts) ...

KemoTherapy
05-04-2012, 03:19 PM
Won't be seeing Mendy anytime soon. He must be feeling really snakebit. They finally drastically upgrade the line and he won't be around to enjoy it. At this point I'm thinking that Batch is just another body to throw into the mix.

Zachintosh66
05-04-2012, 04:08 PM
Medny is DONE!!! I posted this around the super bowl. My wife knows his uncle (in michigan) and he said the whole knee is blown! ACL, MCl all of it! And it is much worse than they are letting on. He will go on PUP list in hopes of a return eventually.

K Train
05-04-2012, 04:12 PM
mendenhall is not done, i dont really believe uncle mendenhall

Goodfrom55
05-04-2012, 10:53 PM
mendenhall is not done, i dont really believe uncle mendenhall

AGreed. Think about how dangerous Mendy would be with a good O-line. I might be in the minority, but I still believe he is the best RB on the Steelers, and should come very cheap at free agency next off season.

Phenomenal TJ
05-05-2012, 04:23 AM
Medny is DONE!!! I posted this around the super bowl. My wife knows his uncle (in michigan) and he said the whole knee is blown! ACL, MCl all of it! And it is much worse than they are letting on. He will go on PUP list in hopes of a return eventually.

If that's true, and I doubt very much so that it is, then his career is over.

coldrolled
05-05-2012, 08:48 AM
If that's true, and I doubt very much so that it is, then his career is over.

Why is his Career Over?? Hightower had a blown acl, mcl amd minucus tear and is ready to destroy the NFL.. Ask the Pats.
Hightower missed a complete year and is back ...

Phenomenal TJ
05-05-2012, 09:04 AM
Why is his Career Over?? Hightower had a blown acl, mcl amd minucus tear and is ready to destroy the NFL.. Ask the Pats.
Hightower missed a complete year and is back ...

Hightower isn't a running back. Think back to Willie Parker's leg injury years ago, sure he played afterwards, but not effectively. His career was as good as done as soon as he got hurt, and if all that is true with Mendenhall, I don't see him accomplishing anything in the NFL.

coldrolled
05-05-2012, 09:13 AM
Hightower isn't a running back. Think back to Willie Parker's leg injury years ago, sure he played afterwards, but not effectively. His career was as good as done as soon as he got hurt, and if all that is true with Mendenhall, I don't see him accomplishing anything in the NFL.

I thought FWP broke his fibula?

A LB and a RB and an acl? The LB has to make cuts and turns all day long? Whats the diference?

Phenomenal TJ
05-05-2012, 10:41 AM
I thought FWP broke his fibula?

A LB and a RB and an acl? The LB has to make cuts and turns all day long? Whats the diference?

He did, I said leg injury. Wasn't comparing the two, but either way, both greatly effect the knee. And a linebacker doesn't have to make nearly as many cuts as a running back, especially a running back that turns to the spin as his bread and butter. If Mendenhall tore all of the ligaments stated above, I truly believe his career is done. Or, at the very least, he's going to be a complete shell of his former self.

Name one runningback besides Willis McGahee that tore his knee/leg up and was still effective as an every down back.

ChucktownSteeler
05-05-2012, 11:04 AM
I am not ready to write off Mendy or Barron Batch. Much too early. Let's give our backs a chance with our new and improved O-Line. You may be pleasantly surprised.

C-town

Number99
05-07-2012, 09:47 AM
He did, I said leg injury. Wasn't comparing the two, but either way, both greatly effect the knee. And a linebacker doesn't have to make nearly as many cuts as a running back, especially a running back that turns to the spin as his bread and butter. If Mendenhall tore all of the ligaments stated above, I truly believe his career is done. Or, at the very least, he's going to be a complete shell of his former self.

Name one runningback besides Willis McGahee that tore his knee/leg up and was still effective as an every down back.

How about Edgerrin James. He had 5 pretty good years after he tore his acl. In all 5 of those years he carried over 300 times and had well over 1000 rushing yards. He also had a ton of catches too.

BlitzburghRockCity
05-07-2012, 04:59 PM
We can't write off either one of them, nor could you write off Hampton or Starks either. You just never know how quickly guys will heal and how well the reconstructed knee will handle the constant pressure it's put under as an athlete.

Mendenhall may come back and be better than ever, Batch could be the same way. I hope they are because it will add even more to an already amazing battle for the backfield roster spots.