PDA

View Full Version : Your ideal Steelers offensive line

BlitzburghRockCity
05-03-2012, 04:05 PM
Your perfect offensive line for the Steelers.

The possibilities are numerous now with the Steelers, Sean Kugler will have his work cut out for him figuring out who to put where. In a perfect world the remaining roster spots are filled with players that step up over and above the competition rather than just winning by default like in past years.

Ed Bouchette was apparently quoted on ESPN today ( I did not see this ) as saying he thinks the line could look like:

Mike Adams
Willie Colon
Maurkice Pouncey
David DeCastro
Marcus Gilbert

If that were to be true, Colon might actually be able to excel at most feel is a more natural position for him.

Personally I don't know that Colon could beat out Foster in a battle for the other guard position opposite DeCastro (assuming he starts).

I could see a scenario where:

Marcus Gilbert
David DeCastro
Maurkice Pouncey
Ramon Foster
Mike Adams (if he doesn't start then he takes over for Colon before the end of the season). If Willie were to struggle or get hurt again.

K Train
05-03-2012, 04:10 PM
Colon is better than foster at everything, essentially foster is a poor mans colon

The best line they could possibly have would be

Gilbert, Decastro, Pouncey, Colon, Adams

MAYBE switch adams and gilbert eventually but to start if like gilbert on the left.

Backup at center is legursky, backup at both guards is chris scott, backup at LT is essex, backup at RT is J.Scott if he makes the team

cbrunn
05-03-2012, 04:29 PM
Adams , Ryan Lee/ Colon , Pouncey , Decastro , Gilbert

I say Ryan Lee because he can move and seems to have some real good skills ... and Colon can't stay healthy and i think Ryan Lee will be better then Foster and Legs

igor0190
05-03-2012, 04:40 PM
Mike Adams
Willie Colon
Maurkice Pouncey
David DeCastro
Marcus Gilbert

This combination really makes me excited for the NFL season... Some serious pedigree on the line, finally.

Reg3835
05-03-2012, 04:50 PM
Starks, DeCastro, Pouncey, Colon, Gilbert

Cut Scott. Sign Starks with the money saved from cutting J. Scott. Let Starks start the year at LT while leaving Gibert alone at RT. Move Colon inside and use Adams at the backup tackle position until he is ready to take over at LT.

Zachintosh66
05-03-2012, 04:51 PM
LT Any

LG Body

C But

RG Doug

RT Legs

Real Deal Steel
05-03-2012, 04:52 PM
Mike Adams
Willie Colon
Maurkice Pouncey
David DeCastro
Marcus Gilbert

This combination really makes me excited for the NFL season... Some serious pedigree on the line, finally.

This is the line I envisioned after the draft. But I could understand if Colon doesn't make the grade.

K Train
05-03-2012, 04:58 PM
colon is no way suited for LG, RG sure its possibly with his ability to drive block but decastro is too sexy at pulling to have colon with lead feet at LG

Cricker24
05-03-2012, 05:02 PM
I'd have to go with:

LT: Gilbert
LG: DeCastro
C: Pouncey
RG: Foster
RT: Colon

I don't think Adams is quite ready to start, but you never know. You could switch DeCastro and Foster, but until we know Haley's playbook, I don't know if LG or RG will be the pulling guard. It's going to be a very interesting and exciting training camp to see what combination the Steelers come up with.

Chris :tt02:

jpele
05-03-2012, 05:10 PM
Here's how I see the starting line up at least to start the season:

LT..Gilbert
LG..Foster
C....Pouncey
RG..DeCastro
RT..Colon

Adams will work his way into the lineup and any talk of Colon moving to G Is just that talk at least till I see it happen.

igor0190
05-03-2012, 05:21 PM

LT..Gilbert
LG..Foster
C....Pouncey
RG..DeCastro
RT..Colon

Adams will work his way into the lineup and any talk of Colon moving to G Is just that talk at least till I see it happen.

I would say this combination would be the odds on favorite for opening day of the season

Black@Gold Forever32
05-03-2012, 06:09 PM
When Colon was drafted back in 2006 the report was he was better suited for OG at the NFL level.......Until I see Colon playing OG myself I will have doubts about the Steelers playing him there....So my ideal line would be Adams, Decastro, Pouncey, Foster, Gilbert.......

tburg68
05-03-2012, 06:12 PM
Adams-DeCastro-Pouncey-Colon-Gilberts.

Maybe start season with tackles switched. No way Foster or Colon would be LG. The most nimble G will be the LG, which no doubt is DeCastro.

This line would be top 5 by season's end. Backups of Essex, Legursky, Foster.

coldrolled
05-03-2012, 06:38 PM
Adams-DeCastro-Pouncey-Colon-Gilberts.

Maybe start season with tackles switched. No way Foster or Colon would be LG. The most nimble G will be the LG, which no doubt is DeCastro.

This line would be top 5 by season's end. Backups of Essex, Legursky, Foster.

Nice.
Beachum will be a backup.

BlitzburghRockCity
05-03-2012, 08:21 PM
If you're line is as porous as the Steelers line has been over the years, why not take your licks and start the rookies. Let them grow together and by mid season they'll really start to take form. I'm comfortable with Gilbert at Tackle now after having a year under his belt. I don't think I'd want Adams at LT right away but RT is a good place to learn.

SteelCityKid5
05-03-2012, 08:36 PM
I dont even care..it makes me happy just to think after years of anguish we may have a formidable offensive line on our hands

Black@Gold Forever32
05-03-2012, 08:36 PM
If you're line is as porous as the Steelers line has been over the years, why not take your licks and start the rookies. Let them grow together and by mid season they'll really start to take form. I'm comfortable with Gilbert at Tackle now after having a year under his belt. I don't think I'd want Adams at LT right away but RT is a good place to learn.

This.....Hey I say let the young kid learn at LT.........

RobZagnut
05-03-2012, 08:55 PM
Starks - Adams
DeCastro - Foster
Pouncey - Beachum
Colon - Essex
Gilbert - Scott

This scenario has Beachum impressing in camp and winning the LS position too. That would be ideal.

strummerfan
05-03-2012, 09:11 PM
We might actually be able to run left for a change.

ChucktownSteeler
05-03-2012, 09:11 PM
This will be the line by mid-season:

LT: Adams, LG: Decastro, C: Pouncey, RG: Colon, RT: Gilbert

C-town

HUNT4SEVEN
05-03-2012, 09:35 PM
LT Adams LG Decastro C Pouncey RGFoster/Colon RT Gilbert

SnakeEyes43
05-04-2012, 08:20 AM
LT Adams LG Decastro C Pouncey RGFoster/Colon RT Gilbert

Same here. Pretty excited to see this line in action, hopefully Pouncey and Colon stay healthy this year.

Zachintosh66
05-04-2012, 09:37 AM
i would like this:
Adams
DeCastro
Pouncey
Colon
Gilbert

But it will prolly be:
Gilbert
Decastro
Pouncey
Foster
Colon

Real Deal Steel
05-04-2012, 10:06 AM
Adams isn't ready from the start. It will take some time with him. But he'll get there. But Jpele line is the most realistic for game # 1 against the Broncos.

K Train
05-04-2012, 10:27 AM
adams is pretty pro ready imo, he has good technique which will make his transition easy. He was my #2 tackle behind kalil for a loonnnnggggg time and honestly his talent didnt decline he just had some question marks that made him fall on draft day. Hes more pro ready than gilbert. You see some late first/ seconf round guys come in and make an impact right away all the time these days....vollmer, and solder for the patriots, mcneil a few years ago for the chargers, sherrod for the rams a few year back....imo adams is better than every one of those guys coming out of college

im also interested in chris scott and his battle for a guard spot or a roster spot in general

connecticutsteel
05-04-2012, 12:20 PM
If Adams focuses on playing football and nothing else than he will win the LT spot in camp .He is the most talented tackle on our roster including Gilbert and Gilbert is a good RT Adams will start week one

Real Deal Steel
05-04-2012, 12:24 PM
Do you know what's nice? It's us having enough O-linemen to have this discussion. :tt02:

JollyRob68
05-04-2012, 12:37 PM
colon is no way suited for LG, RG sure its possibly with his ability to drive block but decastro is too sexy at pulling to have colon with lead feet at LG

Why does DeCastro have to move to LG? He pulls from the RG position and he's a beast. Also POuncey can pull from the center position.

JollyRob68
05-04-2012, 12:40 PM
Adams , Ryan Lee/ Colon , Pouncey , Decastro , Gilbert

I say Ryan Lee because he can move and seems to have some real good skills ... and Colon can't stay healthy and i think Ryan Lee will be better then Foster and Legs

I agree. Ryan Lee is my Dark Horse and he can play all positions.

K Train
05-04-2012, 12:48 PM
Why does DeCastro have to move to LG? He pulls from the RG position and he's a beast. Also POuncey can pull from the center position.

its more colon would suck on the left, while decastro will kick *** on either side

JollyRob68
05-04-2012, 12:50 PM
This Is My Starting LIneup.
Adams , Ryan Lee, Pouncey , Decastro , Gilbert

I can see Colon at RG because it will keep him from being false start willie. He would be right next to Pouncey so he can hear the snap count or watch the ball. It also puts a Veteran next to Mike Adams(RT) to help him with the plays.
Gilbert,DeCastro,Pouncey,Colon,Adams This would be a Great line also if Willie stays Healthy.
Backups RYan Lee,Legs,Foster & Travis Turner

JollyRob68
05-04-2012, 12:53 PM
its more colon would suck on the left, while decastro will kick *** on either side

Wouldn't be smarter to Keep DeCastro on the Right where he's played and dominated? We have a New OC and he's implementing a new playbook.
Ryan Lee, Maurkice Pouncey & David DeCastro are pulling Machines and the Future middle Cogs of The Steelers. With Adams & Gilbert as your tackles.

K Train
05-04-2012, 12:56 PM
he dominated at RG but that mean hes a RG only, hes better suited for the left...not that it is THAT big of a difference.

i can tell im going to hate ryan lee already, hes a training camp hero just days after the draft with people slotting him as a day 1 starter lol. have you ever seen ryan lee play? please enlighten me as to why he has any chance of making the roster let only being penciled in as a pro ready starting LG?

id say ramon foster, chris scott, trai essex, doug legursky, even tony hills has a better chance of being brought back and plugged in as a starter than ryan lee from day one

KemoTherapy
05-04-2012, 03:29 PM
Ryan Lee??. Never heard of the guy.

K Train
05-04-2012, 03:29 PM
lol theres a good reason

BlacknGoldHaze
05-05-2012, 01:41 AM

LT..Gilbert
LG..Foster
C....Pouncey
RG..DeCastro
RT..Colon

Yep..that's how I see it.

BlitzburghRockCity
05-08-2012, 09:43 AM
Adams isn't ready from the start. It will take some time with him. But he'll get there. But Jpele line is the most realistic for game # 1 against the Broncos.

If Chris Scott makes a starting spot I'll jump out of my window..lol.

Guards: DeCastro, Colon, Foster, Essex
Tackles: Gilbert, Adams, J. Scott, Colon
Center: Pouncey, Legursky backs up him up.

Legursky backs up everybody but primarily sticks to Center when needed.
Chris Scott and Kelvin Beachum fight it out for a final roster spot for the OL.

The versatility of Essex and Legursky will allow the team to probably keep 1 less lineman than other teams.

Colon finally makes the logical move to guard.

coldrolled
05-08-2012, 09:57 AM
Ryan Lee, maybe his speed, his Dontari Poe Bench presses?

Ryan Lee, Furman Height: 6-3 Weight: 310 40 - 4.96 Bench 255-40

Kevin Beachum, SMU Height: 6-3 Weight: 303 40 - 5.44 Bench 255-19

I dont know... Just another Furman Prospect...

K Train
05-08-2012, 09:57 AM
i think chris scott could end up in the mix for a starting guard, hes an unknown but it is do or die for him

ChucktownSteeler
05-08-2012, 09:58 AM
Are we talking start of season or long term?