PDA

View Full Version : Suggs Out for the Year

SteelDad
05-03-2012, 10:48 AM
Jason LaCanfora is reporting along with Adam Schefter that Terrel Suggs blew out his achilles' playing basketball. Done for the season.

BlitzburghRockCity
05-03-2012, 10:53 AM
From former Redskins G.M. Vinny Cerrato, now of 105.7 The Fan in Baltimore, comes the latest stunner in one of the most stunning offseasons in NFL history.Per Cerrato, Ravens linebacker Terrell Suggs (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/2237/terrell-suggs) has torn an Achilles tendon.

A source with knowledge of the situation tells PFT that the Ravens have not yet received a conclusive diagnosis. Still, for now, it doesn’t look good.

And it won’t look good for the Ravens if they have to proceed without the 2011 defensive player of the year.

It’s also a stark reminder that, no matter how good a team looks on paper, it can all fall apart, quickly.

Making matters worse for the Ravens is the timing. If this had happened a week ago, they could have adjusted their draft plans accordingly.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/05/03/report-terrell-suggs-tears-achilles-tendon/

BlitzburghRockCity
05-03-2012, 10:55 AM
I don't wish ill will on anybody, especially injury wise.

Having said that, can't you just hear all the ravens fans making excuses for 2012 before it even starts? Oh well if T-fizzle were here we'd have won this game and that game...

K Train
05-03-2012, 10:59 AM
Upshaw and Kindle as their primary pass rushers...a heavy DE/OLB tweener rookie with poor speed and kindle who had skull reconstruction and hasnt played much in 2 years....

haha

i dont wish injury on anyone, except sugg, and probably 20 other guys, and anyone who pisses me off

:-)

LatrobePA
05-03-2012, 11:06 AM
Suggs is a baller and their team feeds off of him 10000000000000% of the time. This is a huge loss for their team!

Speeed
05-03-2012, 11:08 AM
Welcome to our world. The Steelers own the injury crown. This will test their mettle. We somehow manage to compete. If they bust that out we can just laugh. It is my opinion, with all of our injuries, the fans for the most part have not made many excuses.

Having said that, can't you just hear all the ravens fans making excuses for 2012 before it even starts? Oh well if T-fizzle were here we'd have won this game and that game...

jpele
05-03-2012, 11:20 AM
Can you hear Hairball crying about his team was cheated.

LatrobePA
05-03-2012, 11:27 AM
When a horse breaks a leg don't they normally put them down? I've got that ability, pleaseeeeeee!! lol

Raleigh Steel
05-03-2012, 11:38 AM

it's why i hate when a key figure from a rival goes down for the entire season. i love beating the ravens when they are "100%". that being said,1) i don't really feel all that bad that it was suggs, 2) if we lost ben for the season i'm sure ravens fans would be happy about it, and 3) it could happen to anybody in the league so ravens team and fans just have to deal with it!

LatrobePA
05-03-2012, 11:39 AM
Ben won't complain, trust me! Suggs is a BB KILLA!

BlitzburghRockCity
05-03-2012, 11:47 AM
Can you hear Hairball crying about his team was cheated.

I know right, he already whines that everybody cheats now he'll have even more reason to make excuses for any game they lose.

steelspikes
05-03-2012, 11:47 AM
Who could forget that nasty night game in 2010 when Suggs smashed Ben's nose? While not wishing injury on anyone, Suspect that Ben is going to be a bit more at ease vs. 2012 Ravens, who also have lost starting LB Jarret Johnson and DE Cory Redding to free agency. With recently upgraded O-Line, 2012 looking good for the Black & Gold.

KoffeeHobson
05-03-2012, 12:09 PM
I could never root for the guy. I know Ray Lewis will try to motivate one of the other guys. We will see. Would love to sweep those guys. Wonder if when Suggs got hurt, Ben felt it like a disturbance in the force.

Farrior Fan
05-03-2012, 12:28 PM
disturbance in the force.. lol. I hate when anyone gets injured, I'm pretty confident we could have swept them this year even with suggs. Our schedule just got a little easier.

SnakeEyes43
05-03-2012, 12:30 PM
I know it's horrible to say, but this literally made my day.

Real Deal Steel
05-03-2012, 01:03 PM
Karma is a mother ain't it??

Harbaugh went talking all that smack about the Patriots yesterday. And now arguably their best player on defense is out for the season. No..I don't wish injury on anyone but hey, it is what it is. We were going to beat the dog snot out of the Ravens this year anyway and this will make it just that much easier. I love it!!!!

And you can also pencil in the Bengals as the second place team in the division now too.

The Ravens are prepared to assume their usual position of being bent over the headboard by us, AND THE BENGALS!

Couldn't happen to a better coach! hahahahahaha

ChucktownSteeler
05-03-2012, 01:13 PM
I hate to see injuries on any player. Suggs is a great player and competitor. He even went public and backed Harrison when he was getting a fine a week. I can respect him as a player. I just wish he wasn't a Rat-bird.

Also, I'm not sure it was Suggs that broke Ben's nose. I think it was Haloti Ngata.

C-town

coldrolled
05-03-2012, 01:19 PM
We had our acls, achilles, tendons, hamstrings last year...

The Ravens will be tough either way.

K Train
05-03-2012, 01:22 PM
to sum up the ravens offseason:

1) Re-hire Cam Cameron as OC, despite well-known offensive deficiencies and his predictable offense
2) Franchise Ray Rice, pissing off their only legitimate offensive talent
3) Allow young, Pro Bowl Guard Ben Grubbs to leave in FA, only to use that money to resign 36 year old Matt Birk and 35 year old Bryant McKinnie
4) Have their young, supposedly franchise QB delude himself into thinking he deserves Top 5 QB money, despite him being around the Top 12 QBs in terms of talent and production
5) Have Ed Reed, one of the best defensive backs of his generation come out and say that we are disrespecting him by not addressing his contract
5) Have an intermediate draft with a focus on long term potential rather then immediate production, despite most of their key producers being geared for an immediate Super Bowl run
6) Have their best defensive player and NFL DPOTY tear his Achilles during a conditioning test
7) in addition to losing grubbs and suggs they lost jarrett johnson, zbikowski, nakamura, lee evans, ricky williams, cory redding...ouch

LarryNJ
05-03-2012, 01:23 PM
I hate to see him out for the year. He makes our games much more exciting. Hope he comes back 100% next year.

coldrolled
05-03-2012, 01:26 PM
Changing the subject a tad, but with all these top draft picks the bengals have had.. when will they peak and die just as quickly, i cant see them making the salary cap at some point... window of 2 years - 3 years? Ravens are in a bad situation right now.

LarryNJ
05-03-2012, 01:27 PM
to sum up the ravens offseason:

1) Re-hire Cam Cameron as OC, despite well-known offensive deficiencies and his predictable offense
2) Franchise Ray Rice, pissing off their only legitimate offensive talent
3) Allow young, Pro Bowl Guard Ben Grubbs to leave in FA, only to use that money to resign 36 year old Matt Birk and 35 year old Bryant McKinnie
4) Have their young, supposedly franchise QB delude himself into thinking he deserves Top 5 QB money, despite him being around the Top 12 QBs in terms of talent and production
5) Have Ed Reed, one of the best defensive backs of his generation come out and say that we are disrespecting him by not addressing his contract
5) Have an intermediate draft with a focus on long term potential rather then immediate production, despite most of their key producers being geared for an immediate Super Bowl run
6) Have their best defensive player and NFL DPOTY tear his Achilles during a conditioning test
7) in addition to losing grubbs and suggs they lost jarrett johnson, zbikowski, nakamura, lee evans, ricky williams, cory redding...ouch

WOW!!! So they get an A+ grade for the off season so far. :)

coldrolled
05-03-2012, 01:36 PM
WOW!!! So they get an A+ grade for the off season so far. :)

They needed to sign Konz

LatrobePA
05-03-2012, 01:37 PM
F the Ravens I'm sick of their overrated team! IMO Suggs is their best player period!

K Train
05-03-2012, 01:57 PM
F the Ravens I'm sick of their overrated team! IMO Suggs is their best player period!

ngata is, by far....but this is a ridiculous blow. they are looking more like an 8-8 squad

BlitzburghRockCity
05-03-2012, 02:01 PM
From ESPN about Bubba Gumps status...

If Terrell Suggs (http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/4468/terrell-suggs) has his way, the Ravens won't be without the NFL's Defensive Player of the Year for the entire season.

http://a.espncdn.com/combiner/i?img=/i/headshots/nfl/players/full/4468.png&w=65&h=90&scale=crop&background=0xcccccc&transparent=false

Suggs

Suggs told ESPN's Rachel Nichols that he only partially tore his Achilles tendon and plans to play by midseason. "That's just going to make it so much sweeter when I run out of that tunnel and prove everyone wrong," Suggs said after hearing reports he was done for the year.

Suggs said he injured himself while practicing the Ravens' conditioning test, which every player needs to pass in order to suit up for training camp. While working out at his old high school in Chandler, Ariz., he felt something turn when he stopped. Suggs told Nichols that he is having surgery next week.

Durability and fighting through injuries have been a strength of Suggs. He's only missed three games in his nine-year NFL career but he acknowledged this injury is different.

"I've never had a real bad injury before. Sometimes you have to go through something like this to make you better," Suggs told ESPN.

K Train
05-03-2012, 02:04 PM
peyton manning vowed to play last season too

hes 30 with an achilles injury and plays a position that relies on acceleration, speed, and the ability to bend around an egde....healing by november is not on his side

LatrobePA
05-03-2012, 02:15 PM
ngata is, by far....but this is a ridiculous blow. they are looking more like an 8-8 squad

I forgot about that big bastard. lol

JensK
05-03-2012, 02:43 PM
Changing the subject a tad, but with all these top draft picks the bengals have had.. when will they peak and die just as quickly, i cant see them making the salary cap at some point... window of 2 years - 3 years? Ravens are in a bad situation right now.

I doubt it. Bengals had like 30-40 million to work with iirc.

Real Deal Steel
05-03-2012, 03:28 PM
Not me. I love the path of least resistance. And least injuries. With Suggs not breathing down Ben's neck, I'm expecting us to take full liberties of their suspect secondary. Ed (I've got retirement on my mind) Reed and those corners should be easy pickings.

Real Deal Steel
05-03-2012, 03:30 PM

We will double team Ngata for sure now. With no fear. Hahaha

Speeed
05-03-2012, 03:34 PM
Not sure about all that. It seems he might be back in time for the Steelers games. It is a long way off to specify an exact date for his return, but he could still make it. I would rather him not be ready to play. I do feel for the guy, but I won't miss him. The tables it seems are turned on the injury front. It seems the Ravens never get injured.

Not me. I love the path of least resistance. And least injuries. With Suggs not breathing down Ben's neck, I'm expecting us to take full liberties of their suspect secondary. Ed (I've got retirement on my mind) Reed and those corners should be easy pickings.

igor0190
05-03-2012, 04:15 PM

There is not a heck of a lot you can do to accelerate tendon injuries... Takes time. I don't see it being any different in Suggs case unless he has freaky super human tendons.

The Bengals are quietly compiling one hell of a team (on paper)... If the coaches can put it together they are going to be the toughest team to beat in the AFC NORTH for sure.

http://www.lowerextremityreview.com/article/return-to-football-after-achilles-tendon-rupture

"Of the 31 players who sustained an Achilles tendon rupture, 21 (64%) returned to play in the NFL at an average of 11 months after injury. In the three seasons following their return, those 21 players saw significant decreases in games played and power ratings compared to the three seasons preceding the injury."

"The length of time to allow full activity after Achilles tendon repair is generally thought to be four to six months.4-6 The 11 months needed to return to play as a professional football player seems considerably longer. However, there is a major difference between allowing full activity and returning to play in the NFL. Even when the typical patient is allowed to participate in full activity, it does not mean that he or she is adequately rehabilitated to perform at maximal efforts."

K Train
05-03-2012, 04:17 PM
There is not a heck of a lot you can do to accelerate tendon injuries... Takes time. I don't see it being any different in Suggs case unless he has freaky super human tendons.

The Bengals are quietly compiling one hell of a team (on paper)... If the coaches can put it together they are going to be the toughest team to beat in the AFC NORTH for sure.

http://www.lowerextremityreview.com/article/return-to-football-after-achilles-tendon-rupture

"Of the 31 players who sustained an Achilles tendon rupture, 21 (64%) returned to play in the NFL at an average of 11 months after injury. In the three seasons following their return, those 21 players saw significant decreases in games played and power ratings compared to the three seasons preceding the injury."

"The length of time to allow full activity after Achilles tendon repair is generally thought to be four to six months.4-6 The 11 months needed to return to play as a professional football player seems considerably longer. However, there is a major difference between allowing full activity and returning to play in the NFL. Even when the typical patient is allowed to participate in full activity, it does not mean that he or she is adequately rehabilitated to perform at maximal efforts."

bengals are stockpiling a bunch of busts and hoping for the best.

cant see andy dalton being much better than he was last year....ever to be honest lol

igor0190
05-03-2012, 04:37 PM
bengals are stockpiling a bunch of busts and hoping for the best.

cant see andy dalton being much better than he was last year....ever to be honest lol

I guess that's true..
Nelson, Reggie... Jags 1st round bust
Newman, Terence... 33 years old
Mays, Taylor.. 49ers 2nd round bust
Jones, Adam... No comment needed
Clements, Nate.. 32 and on the decline
Smith, Andre... Did they move him to guard?

Speeed
05-03-2012, 04:39 PM
I believe his is a tear, not a rupture. And apparently, higher up on the calf?

Real Deal Steel
05-03-2012, 04:50 PM
You've got to say that for the last couple of years, the Bengals have been right on the money.

New QB panned out..
New stud WR panned out...
Defense was good until the cornerback got hurt....
Add supposedly the best cover corner from the draft...
Refortified their O-line from the draft....

We've got to keep an eye on them. They played us pretty tough last year. And we know their dream is to stick it to us BIG TIME!

jpele
05-03-2012, 05:00 PM
I'm really hoping Suggs makes it back for the Steelers game,itvwill that much sweeter when we beat them .

On another note does everyone remember when Ngata broke Ben's nose," Harbaugh laughed and said he was glad it happened" well i'm laughing at you J Whiner Hairball. :lol:

K Train
05-03-2012, 05:04 PM
I guess that's true..
Nelson, Reggie... Jags 1st round bust
Newman, Terence... 33 years old
Mays, Taylor.. 49ers 2nd round bust
Jones, Adam... No comment needed
Clements, Nate.. 32 and on the decline
Smith, Andre... Did they move him to guard?

Derrick Harvey 9th overall by jags- bust
Jamaal Anderson 6th overall by falcons- bust
They were looking at Okoye, not sure if he signed
Then they have guys playing out of scheme, but pretty high profile guys in Michael Johnson (freak athlete, better fir for a 34), carlos dunlap (imo would be incredible in a 34), maualuga (better inside in a 34), Moch (unreal speed, probably an edge rusher in a 34 lol)

they are really talented, but i dont think they can put it all together...i have no reason to

You've got to say that for the last couple of years, the Bengals have been right on the money.

New QB panned out..
New stud WR panned out...
Defense was good until the cornerback got hurt....
Add supposedly the best cover corner from the draft...
Refortified their O-line from the draft....

We've got to keep an eye on them. They played us pretty tough last year. And we know their dream is to stick it to us BIG TIME!

dre kirkpatrick was not even close to the best cover corner in the draft....hes the best press man zone CB in the draft or possibly the best FS in the draft but if they want him to be jonathan joseph he will be chasing mike wallace an torrey smith into the endzone all year long.

Blazedby92
05-03-2012, 05:07 PM
Who could forget that nasty night game in 2010 when Suggs smashed Ben's nose? While not wishing injury on anyone, Suspect that Ben is going to be a bit more at ease vs. 2012 Ravens, who also have lost starting LB Jarret Johnson and DE Cory Redding to free agency. With recently upgraded O-Line, 2012 looking good for the Black & Gold.

That was Ngata

Steeler4life
05-03-2012, 05:12 PM
I'm really hoping Suggs makes it back for the Steelers game,itvwill that much sweeter when we beat them .

On another note does everyone remember when Ngata broke Ben's nose," Harbaugh laughed and said he was glad it happened" well i'm laughing at you J Whiner Hairball. :lol:

LOL yeah. It's going to be an excuse fest no matter what if Suggs does or doesn't make it back. If he isn't there and Ben doesn't get sacked (a lot), the excuse will be Suggs isn't playing. If he does make it back but doesn't get through a lot say perhaps to an upgraded Steelers front, the excuse will be Suggs isn't 100%

Black@Gold Forever32
05-03-2012, 06:17 PM
I love it...sorry I do wish injury....lol Suggs is still making a ton more money then me and his loss is a big blow to the Ratbirds defense.....The Ravens are done.......they'll still be a good team but they won't be the threat like they were last year without Suggs......

DBR96A
05-03-2012, 06:21 PM
Who could forget that nasty night game in 2010 when Suggs smashed Ben's nose?

That was Haloti Ngata.

coldrolled
05-03-2012, 06:24 PM
LOL yeah. It's going to be an excuse fest no matter what if Suggs does or doesn't make it back. If he isn't there and Ben doesn't get sacked (a lot), the excuse will be Suggs isn't playing. If he does make it back but doesn't get through a lot say perhaps to an upgraded Steelers front, the excuse will be Suggs isn't 100%

Hes in a walking cast for 6 months possibly and then rehab... He may be ok in March...

tburg68
05-03-2012, 06:24 PM
I don't wish injury on anyone, except EVERY Raven, Cowboy, Patriot, Brown, & Bengal Player.

Screw em.

connecticutsteel
05-03-2012, 06:26 PM
Suggs will never be the same .He won't have the same explosion off the ball now

coldrolled
05-03-2012, 06:29 PM
Dallas Cowboys outside linebacker Anthony Spencer.

Spencer signed his franchise-tag tender, but the two sides are not close to agreeing to a long-term deal with the five-year veteran out of Purdue. Joe Rodriguez of Cowboysblog.net claims that he has been told the Ravens are considering contingency plans, and they may call Dallas about Spencer.

LevonKirkland99
05-03-2012, 08:07 PM
This guy had nothing nice to say about Pittsburgh...remember he wore that T-shirt flipping the bird to Pgh....T sizzle is gonna be T-fizzle in 2012 :)

Steelers/PSU Fan
05-03-2012, 08:19 PM
Guy is too big to play basketball, oh well **** happens. Ravens will just plug another guy in there to fill his hole if he is not back. Read some stuff that it wasn't as bad of an injury as most people are making it out to be, so he could be back during the season.

steelspikes
05-03-2012, 09:50 PM
That was Ngata.

My bad. I just remember Ben fighting off Suggs after the nose break, throwing a ball out of bounds left-handed, and then hitting Redman for the win.

gtadroptop
05-04-2012, 12:04 AM
It's all good. Ray Ray will save the day.

NOT!!!

igor0190
05-04-2012, 01:01 AM
It's all good. Ray Ray will save the day.

NOT!!!

Suggs is a classless, horseface, thug.
Ray is far past his prime and it's showing... the weaker the front 7 are around him, the more he will be exposed.

JensK
05-04-2012, 05:13 AM
I never wish injuries for anyone whatsoever. I don't like Suggs as a human at all, but I have nothing but respect for him as a football player. He gives it his all every time he is out there, and he enjoys the game.

Real Deal Steel
05-04-2012, 10:13 AM
For Me,

Harbaugh is a classless guy. Through and through just like his brother. And any edge we get on the Ravens I take with joyful glee. They borderline cheat in everything they do and their karma brings bad things to them.

LatrobePA
05-04-2012, 10:25 AM
For Me,

Harbaugh is a classless guy. Through and through just like his brother. And any edge we get on the Ravens I take with joyful glee. They borderline cheat in everything they do and their karma brings bad things to them.

Yep put them both in a blender and make a douchebag smoothie!

BlacknGoldHaze
05-05-2012, 01:48 AM
The Rats are in serious trouble......could move them down to third in the division behind the Bungles. No Suggs, Ray Ray is another year older.....the window just slammed shut in Baltimore.

Njsteelersnut
05-05-2012, 08:41 AM
When I first heard the ugliest man in the NFL tore his achilies and was done for the season....I laughed out loud......Suggs is a loud mouthed clown...heres hoping for more Ratbird misery, and a long season of anguish for Harbaugh and his classless team.

greennick
05-06-2012, 02:11 AM
While this is good for us, I wish him well in his recovery. I always prefer to see us beat the best at their best. Including the dirty birds and their loud mouth players.

coldrolled
05-06-2012, 09:54 AM
Really. we walked into Denver playing the fife and drum with the steelers flag burning overhead. We should feel sorry for who??

BlitzburghRockCity
05-08-2012, 09:36 AM
From ESPN AFC North Blog (http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/47743/ed-reed-less-fear-for-qbs-with-suggs-out)

Pro Bowl safety Ed Reed (http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/3552/ed-reed) believes quarterbacks will think differently when they play the Ravens' defense without linebacker Terrell Suggs (http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/4468/terrell-suggs), who partially tore his Achilles tendon (http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7885596/terrell-suggs-baltimore-ravens-tears-achilles-tendon-vows-return) last week.

Reed talked about how Suggs didn't have to make plays to affect games. Just the threat of him coming off the edge changed how quarterbacks played.

"We know what Terrell Suggs brings to the table, the fear that he puts in quarterbacks’ heads," Reed told a local Baltimore radio station, viaSportsRadioInterviews.com (http://sportsradiointerviews.com/2012/05/07/terrell-suggs-injury-ed-reed-baltimore-ravens/). "So he’s definitely going to be missed."

Suggs, the NFL's Defensive Player of the Year, recorded 19 sacks in his past 18 games (including playoffs). His impact went beyond hitting the quarterback. Suggs is the team's all-time leader in forced fumbles with 29, which is 10 more than anyone else in the history of the Ravens.

So Reed thinks that NFL QB's actually fear Suggs? I would hardly think that any NFL player fears anybody else. Respect them yes, be watchful of where they are, yes, but not fear.

Number99
05-08-2012, 11:34 AM
Any way they want to spin it, no one can replace Suggs. So will opposing teams change their game, absolutely. They won't have to worry as much that will be the difference.

K Train
05-08-2012, 11:52 AM
its like how the broncos wanted to replace doom with jarvis moss and a few rotational guys...sounds good, but it doesnt work that way. I think upshaw and kindle are fine players, but those are too big of shoes to fill for those guys right now anyway

Hoosier
05-09-2012, 02:09 AM
As much as I dislike Suggs, I hate to hear about any player suffering a season ending injury. The guy is a beast against the Steelers.