PDA

View Full Version : Can Spence be an every down ILB for the Steelers?

BlitzburghRockCity
05-02-2012, 11:40 AM
The 3rd round draft pick of Sean Spence out of Miami is an interesting one. He's undersized (5'11" 230 lbs) compared to NFL standards of linebackers but he's got good great speed which is likely why they drafted him. The value in the 3rd and that speed to hand with backs and tight ends out in pass routes has been an issue for the Steelers for years.

I'm anxious to see if he can hold up against the run though when the defensive lineman open up holes for the linebackers to shoot the gaps on, can he bring down the big backs or be able to take on a FB and get off the block?

steelchamp204
05-02-2012, 11:46 AM
He will be eaten alive in the run game unless he puts on about 20-25 pounds of muscle.

coldrolled
05-02-2012, 11:49 AM
Sean Spence - Height: 5-11 Weight: 231

Sly - Height 6-2 Weight 231

Ok, so if Sean is faster and 3" shorter then Sly that means Sean is built stronger right?

So Sean being undersized is the fact that he is to short to cover a TE, not really to small to tackle a RB right?

K Train
05-02-2012, 11:54 AM
He will be eaten alive in the run game unless he puts on about 20-25 pounds of muscle.

just like zach thomas, derrick brooks, and ray lewis? (knock on Ray Lewis was that he was too undersized to dominate the middle without people to eat up blockers)...even harrison and farrior are/were undersized

id say he needs to add about 10 pounds, 25 pounds would be a dramatic change for him. smallish guys can be good too, it just doesnt look right on paper or in madden rankings

K Train
05-02-2012, 11:54 AM
Sean Spence - Height: 5-11 Weight: 231

Sly - Height 6-2 Weight 231

Ok, so if Sean is faster and 3" shorter then Sly that means Sean is built stronger right?

So Sean being undersized is the fact that he is to short to cover a TE, not really to small to tackle a RB right?
sly is upwards of 255 now, bigger frame to work with

JShare86
05-02-2012, 12:16 PM
He is going to be great IMO the guy knows how to play football give him a couple years I think this was out best pick in the draft. Go ahead and let the bashing begin

cbrunn
05-02-2012, 12:19 PM
if the Dline can eat up double teams ... then him and Timmons together will dominate ...

K Train
05-02-2012, 12:19 PM
He is going to be great IMO the guy knows how to play football give him a couple years I think this was out best pick in the draft. Go ahead and let the bashing begin

ok, well this is a little too bold of a statement for me lol

decastro reigns surpreme. i love him so much

JensK
05-02-2012, 01:30 PM
The real question is how you guys feel about Timmons playing buck. I believe both Spence and Sly will be much better suited for playing mack, and I also do believe that Timmons could be a great buck, although he probably dominates more as a mack.

Number99
05-02-2012, 01:36 PM
Well think about this. If Ta'amu develops into the NT we/the Steelers think he can be, he should occupy 2 OL on alot of plays. That said, if Spence develops into an ILB that can start his undersize won't matter as much. He supposedly has great instincts which can compensate quick nicely for the lack of height. Being in the right spot at the right time and reading the play is something that you can't teach.
We'll see I guess. In ranking the draft picks I would give Spence 5th place in terms of making an impact this year. He will likely go the route of Timmons and be the ST demon for a year or two. Which really isn't so bad. He is a 3rd while Timmons was a 1st. And if he has to spend the near future on ST's who really cares.

chisteeler
05-02-2012, 01:45 PM
With the evolution of the tight end in the past few years, you certainly see the mismatch in height with Spence. However, if he can play big the way Sam Mills played for the Saints, then I do not see a problem.

BlitzburghRockCity
05-02-2012, 02:12 PM
Gerry Dulac wrote this about Spence in the PG... (http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/lb-on-the-inside-track-at-nfl-draft-633964/)

As an undersized linebacker at the University of Miami, Sean Spence drew comparisons to Jonathan Vilma for his speed, quickness, athleticism and ability to make tackles. And his stature.

Spence was a sideline-to-sideline tackle machine for the Hurricanes, becoming the first Miami player since Vilma -- and only sixth in school history -- to register 100 or more tackles in back-to-back seasons. Like Vilma, who is 6 feet 1, Spence didn't seem to have any problems seeing over the line of scrimmage, either.

Even if he is two inches shorter than Vilma.

"I love Sean Spence," NFL Network draft expert Mike Mayock said before the draft. "Someone is going to get a hell of a player."

That turned out to be the Steelers, who made him their third-round selection in the NFL draft.

LatrobePA
05-02-2012, 02:16 PM
Let's hope he don't buy into the bounty **** like Vilma! lol

coldrolled
05-02-2012, 02:37 PM
"Someone is going to get a hell of a player."

Spencer is gold... Hightower may start in boston, and he is slower and has a rebuilt knee.

I like Spence more...

I still think that only one, either Upshaw, Barron, Hightower are the real deal... More than likely it is Barron that held the three up to their current first round status versus college talent. One reason is, when hightower was out with the acl,mcl, minicus tear, they were still playing well without him. Barron is the starter, hightower and upshaw will take time...

Spence was the highlight reel and #1 defender for the Canes every week....

RobZagnut
05-02-2012, 07:03 PM
This ain't you daddy's NFL anymore.

Defenses need to adjust and the Steelers just got themselves a LB that tackles like a LB, but covers like a Safety.

ChucktownSteeler
05-02-2012, 07:05 PM
I like this pick more and more everyday.

Mike Tomlin
05-02-2012, 07:28 PM
I remember when Timmons came in as a rookie he was around 230. They put alot of bulk on him up to around 242 and I think it effected how loose he was. He runs a little tight now but he's still very fast for a linebacker. I think he was supposed to be Farrior replacement all along maybe that's why they put more weight on him,and in that role he'll be just as good as Pat Willis. With a guy like Spence covering ,it will allow Timmons to scrape up everything from sideline to sideline. The best part is in passing situations either one of them can cover with no drop off.

coldrolled
05-08-2012, 02:02 PM
Long-time Steelers scribe Ed Bouchette from the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette tweeted that Spence was the most impressive rookie on the first day of practice, albeit with the "caveat" of it being a non-contact practice in shorts. Bouchette is never one to create hype with hyperbole, so his praise, even with a qualification, is telling.

Scout.com's Jim Wexell was more effusive in his praise after the first day of practice:

"Spence looks more fluid and quick into coverage up close than he does on tape, and that’s saying something."

Spence is wearing former Steeler LB James Farrior's old No. 51, according to the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review's beat writer Scott Brown, but he's not lining up at Farrior's old "buck" position. Gerry Dulac of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette reports that Steelers LB coach Keith Butler doesn't have Spence there because at 230 pounds, he might not be suited for a position that has to be "bigger and take on the guards more."

Spence doesn't project to plug an existing hole in the starting lineup. His quickness and fluid athleticism in coverage, along with read-and-react instincts that have drawn universal praise, should get him into subpackages on passing downs early in his career, especially if he keeps standing out among the Steelers rookie class and looking even better than he did on film at Miami-Florida.

KemoTherapy
05-08-2012, 02:32 PM
I didn't like this pick at first but am warming up to it. I don't think he needs to have the bulk that a 4-3 mack needs so it's not as big an issue. I see him as a quick reacting seek and destroy weapon. Maybe especially suited to passing downs or as a "spy" on Tebow when he's in for Dirty Sanchez and doing the "am I going to pass or am I going to run" routine.

K Train
05-08-2012, 02:37 PM
i hope they dont gibson him, everything in that report was said about my boy thad

LatrobePA
05-08-2012, 02:55 PM
i hope they dont gibson him, everything in that report was said about my boy thad

Still pains me!

coldrolled
05-08-2012, 05:28 PM

He is already wearing 51 and he was miami's #1 defensive highlight reel player. Was Gibson OSU's highlight reel?

connecticutsteel
05-08-2012, 06:45 PM
Spence will be fine. He will put on 10 to 15 lbs of muscle.He also cracks me up when he talks "yea man Pittsburgh Steelers man THEY WERE ALWAYS MY FAVORITE TEAM MAN pITTSBURGH Steelers man"

Goodfrom55
05-08-2012, 08:30 PM
whatever the case may be, would be nice to see Sly get a shot. I read that he in fact, dropped about 18 pounds and is in the 230's, which accodring to him, puts him in the best shape of his life. Guess we'll see.

Lest we forget Sam Mills, from Division III Montclair State in NJ. He was a beast for both the Saints and Panthers and was not more than 5'8".

The Lakelander
05-08-2012, 10:39 PM
Alll we can hope is that this pick pans out ... speed kills in the NFL and evidently this kid has it! ... Lambert was a "small" LB but nobody remembers that any more ... He played LARGE!

Hoosier
05-09-2012, 12:44 AM
This undersized talk is sooooooooooo overblown.

**Sent from by 1979 Motorola Bag Phone**

steelchamp204
05-09-2012, 12:58 AM
Wasnt Sly a fast LB and had good coverage skills and blah blah blah. Lets just see what happens here. Im hoping the guy does well cause we need another good LB. We will just see him on special team for the first couple of season. Then we will be able to tell. I think he will be a monster on ST this year though,

K Train
05-09-2012, 09:19 AM
This undersized talk is sooooooooooo overblown.

**Sent from by 1979 Motorola Bag Phone**
theres been alot of undersized linebackers, a lot of great ones

Wasnt Sly a fast LB and had good coverage skills and blah blah blah. Lets just see what happens here. Im hoping the guy does well cause we need another good LB. We will just see him on special team for the first couple of season. Then we will be able to tell. I think he will be a monster on ST this year though,
sly has always been beast in run support and special teams, coverage has been a struggle....especially since he bulked up to like 255