PDA

View Full Version : Players to keep an eye out for in 2013

K Train
05-02-2012, 10:44 AM
As always when the draft is over i am bored until mini camps

But heres some guys on my radar already for next years college football season and the 2013 draft.

TJ Mcdonald S USC

Right now i think hes my favorite to be the steelers pick in the first round. I thought safety was somewhat of a need this year but with Guard, tackle, and NT addressed early on i think the major needs now shift to S, MLB, CB, and WR/RB

McDonald is brilliant in man to man coverage for a safety, he is about 6-3 205 pounds and is really good at shadowing TEs and WRs. A willing tackler, not a phenom against the run but doesnt shy away either. Really really high on him at this point and hes got the football bloodlines that Tomlin loves.

Xavier Rhodes CB florida state

Was draft eligible as a redshirt sophomore this year, im kinda glad he went back to school. Hes the closest thing to nnamdi asomugha weve seen since we realized how good nnamdi was. Very long arms, very very good quickness for a big corner, fluid hips and can press, play off, play man, or play zone....not a finished product but hopefull going back to FSU tightens up his game. He will be a top flight CB prospect i believe.

Manti Teo MLB Notre Dame

Was a bit shocked he returned to school, but hes a MLB that could play all 4 positions in a 34. Him going back to school and Burfict plummeting is what essentially made Hightower a first round pick.

Jarvin Jones OLB Georgia
DJ Fluker OG/OT Bama
Marcus Lattimore RB south carolina
Ray Ray Armstrong SS Miami
Kenny Tate FS/OLB Maryland
Brandon Jenkins OLB Florida state
Kevin Reddick MLB NC
Sentreal Henderson OT Miami (might be set at tackle, but this is a rare athlete at 6-8 345)

just a few names to watch out for....feel free to add some of your favorites

cbrunn
05-02-2012, 11:03 AM
K what do you think about Gerald Hodges, OLB, Penn State??
and Rashard Hall, S, Clemson

their two of my favorite players

Phdboy2020
05-30-2012, 08:42 PM
As always when the draft is over i am bored until mini camps

But heres some guys on my radar already for next years college football season and the 2013 draft.

TJ Mcdonald S USC

Right now i think hes my favorite to be the steelers pick in the first round. I thought safety was somewhat of a need this year but with Guard, tackle, and NT addressed early on i think the major needs now shift to S, MLB, CB, and WR/RB

McDonald is brilliant in man to man coverage for a safety, he is about 6-3 205 pounds and is really good at shadowing TEs and WRs. A willing tackler, not a phenom against the run but doesnt shy away either. Really really high on him at this point and hes got the football bloodlines that Tomlin loves.

Xavier Rhodes CB florida state

Was draft eligible as a redshirt sophomore this year, im kinda glad he went back to school. Hes the closest thing to nnamdi asomugha weve seen since we realized how good nnamdi was. Very long arms, very very good quickness for a big corner, fluid hips and can press, play off, play man, or play zone....not a finished product but hopefull going back to FSU tightens up his game. He will be a top flight CB prospect i believe.

Manti Teo MLB Notre Dame

Was a bit shocked he returned to school, but hes a MLB that could play all 4 positions in a 34. Him going back to school and Burfict plummeting is what essentially made Hightower a first round pick.

Jarvin Jones OLB Georgia
DJ Fluker OG/OT Bama
Marcus Lattimore RB south carolina
Ray Ray Armstrong SS Miami
Kenny Tate FS/OLB Maryland
Brandon Jenkins OLB Florida state
Kevin Reddick MLB NC
Sentreal Henderson OT Miami (might be set at tackle, but this is a rare athlete at 6-8 345)

just a few names to watch out for....feel free to add some of your favorites

Love these picks, but if Sentreal Henderson is an option, and rightfully so, how about Barrett Jones from Bama? He's a guy that can play all positions on O-Line.

K Train
05-31-2012, 09:38 AM
Love these picks, but if Sentreal Henderson is an option, and rightfully so, how about Barrett Jones from Bama? He's a guy that can play all positions on O-Line.
Jones and Fluker are both probably first and second round picks....id imagine tackle is gonna be low on our list of needs but guard could definitely be an option and both of those guys can play guard.

id like to add chase thomas from stanford as an OLB in the late first or second round. Shayne Skov is another stanford guy to watch out for as a MLB.

Id rank our needs as S, MLB, G, OLB, CB right now.

connecticutsteel
05-31-2012, 11:49 AM
Barrett Jones will be a Higher pick than Kalil Possibly #1. Depending on if anyone needs Matt barkley .IMO we are thin at linebacker only because i don't think Chris Carter or Jason Worilds will ever amount to anything.Worilds had his chance last year when Harrison was hurt and suspended and all he did was overpursue and take himself out of the play.We should do whatever it take to get Teo and draft some quality at Safety although i'm pulling for Rolle and i don't know why?Also i think Seantrell Harris hurt his draft stock by playing for Miami .If he went anywhere else he would be talked about more.

I have found the next James Farrior -------->Trevardo Williams 6'2" 233 40 time 4.59 12.5 sacks in two seasons at Uconn including a 4 sack game @ rutgers plays inside and outside but is too small for outside in the NFL projected 2-4 rd

K Train
05-31-2012, 12:16 PM
Barrett Jones will be a Higher pick than Kalil Possibly #1. Depending on if anyone needs Matt barkley .IMO we are thin at linebacker only because i don't think Chris Carter or Jason Worilds will ever amount to anything.Worilds had his chance last year when Harrison was hurt and suspended and all he did was overpursue and take himself out of the play.We should do whatever it take to get Teo and draft some quality at Safety although i'm pulling for Rolle and i don't know why?Also i think Seantrell Harris hurt his draft stock by playing for Miami .If he went anywhere else he would be talked about more.
you dont go to miami and hurt your chance of being a pro...that team cranks pros out with the best of them. hes been banged up, thats all.

Im loving TJ McDonald right now, and ive always loved Xavier Rhodes. I think pass rush and safety are gonna be big time interest next season. I could see them trading harrison or kicking him inside next to timmons

connecticutsteel
05-31-2012, 02:31 PM
Harrison is going to be 35 i don't think they will move him inside or they would have done it and swapped with Timmons .I think if Spence gives them anything at all and Worilds turns the corner Harrison will be cut.

Miami is still a quality program However it isn't even close to what it once was in everyway LSU and Alabama have taken on that role

K Train
05-31-2012, 03:04 PM
Harrison is going to be 35 i don't think they will move him inside or they would have done it and swapped with Timmons .I think if Spence gives them anything at all and Worilds turns the corner Harrison will be cut.

Miami is still a quality program However it isn't even close to what it once was in everyway LSU and Alabama have taken on that role
its just not a big time BCS contender anymore, its still a pro factory. LSU has produced pretty underwhelming pros imo actually. Their WRs are nobodies aside from bowe (lafell, davis, doucet, tolliver) their dlinemen disappoint greatly (dorsey, jackson), oline they had barskdale and herm johnson who both suck, laron landry is average, i <3 peterson and claiborne but not overly impressive talent pool imo. I like Montgomery and Mingo next year, but it looks like they will have another top OT that is only a top OT because of the program he is playing for because i dont see the hype in chris faulk. and sheppard and highsmith at LB ist very impressive either

kinda nitpicking but top program doesnt automatically equate to great pros...lots of disappointing top 10 picks on that list. And bama wasnt even on the radar of relevance until saban got there, i usually like saban players though so im not gonna bitch about them lol.

but miami and florida state will always produce good pros even if they arent the class of the ACC. Miami still cranks out WRs, Safeties, and linebackers like crazy. Sentreal Henderson is an elite talent if he can stay healthy, you dont see players of his caliber come along very often

and i wouldnt be surprised if harrison moved to the inside late in his career, hes arguably better suited there anyway if we could get another effective pass rusher. and hes a young 35 if that makes sense. His production is unquestioned...if he stays healthy this year and continues to average around a sack a game and lead the league in FF he will gain interest on the trade market and would definitely not just get cut. His production is the determining factor, id be a fan of shifting him to the middle though if spence doesnt work how they plan

connecticutsteel
05-31-2012, 06:45 PM
I notice a difference in Hassison since his back operation this year we will see if he regains his form

ChucktownSteeler
06-03-2012, 10:54 AM
Next year's draft being called "year of the safety" (7-8 slated 1st round projections). Steeler's F.O. again hit a "home-run" by not reaching for a safety in the first or second round, but solidifying the OL for the next decade. I simply can't complain about last year's draft for a nano-second. A+

A would keep an eye on Baccari Rambo, saftey, Georgia. Kid has all the tools and would look great in the "Black and Gold".

Plus, I need to update my signature below soon and add a new "safety" to our tradition.

C-town

K Train
06-04-2012, 12:17 PM
7-8 first round prospects at safety? TJ Mcdonald, eric reid, MAYBE lester and who else? Vaccarro? imo Lester, Vaccarro and Armstrong arent gonna finish the year as top safeties. Its just not a premium enough position

ChucktownSteeler
06-04-2012, 06:18 PM
I can't remember the site (and a lot can happen between now and next draft), but the safeties below were projected possible first round material:

Matt Elam
T.J. McDonald
Tyrann Mathieu
David Amerson
Xavier Rhodes
Tony Jefferson
Bacarri Rambo

We have signed Myron Rolle, but I am going to keep an eye on Bacarri Rambo this season. I think we can get a decent safety next year.

C-town

Reg3835
06-05-2012, 08:55 AM
Plenty of safeties that could be chosen in the first couple of rounds next year.

Tony Jefferson*, S, Oklahoma
Height: 5-10. Weight: 199.
Projected 40 Time: 4.49.
Projected Round (2013): 1.
5/23/12: Jefferson has been a play-maker and leader of the Sooners' defense since he arrived in Norman. Jefferson was the Big XII Freshman of the Year in 2010. He started nine games and recorded 65 tackles with seven tackles for a loss, two sacks, two interceptions and seven passes broken up.

Jefferson was even better last year as a sophomore. He had 74 tackles with four interceptions, 4.5 sacks, 7.5 tackles for a loss, three passes broken up and one forced fumble.

Jefferson is an excellent pass defender who covers a lot of ground in the deep part of the field. He does a good job of picking up receivers running deep and has the athletic ability to play man coverage on tight ends.

Jefferson is solid in run support. The athletic and instinctive safety has a high ceiling and could be in store for another big season or two for the Sooners. Jefferson is a difference-maker and a regular generator of splash plays.

Tyrann Mathieu*, CB/S, LSU
Height: 5-9. Weight: 175.
Projected 40 Time: 4.42.
Projected Round (2013): 1-2.
5/23/12: Mathieu was one of the best defensive players in college football during the 2011 season. He was a finalist for the Heisman Trophy, and he had a massive impact for LSU.

Mathieu plays much bigger than his measurements, and anyone who watched LSU the past two seasons can't help but see that he is a pure football player with off-the-charts instinct. Mathieu led LSU in tackles with 76 as sophomore last year. He also had 7.5 tackles for a loss, 1.5 sacks, six forced fumbles, two interceptions and nine passes broken up. Additionally, Mathieu served as a punt returner in 2011, averaging 16 yards per return with two brought back for touchdowns.

The 5-foot-9, 175-pounder has been a dynamic play-maker for the Tigers since Day 1. Mathieu compiled 57 tackles with 8.5 tackles for a loss, 4.5 sacks, five forced fumbles, two interceptions, seven passes broken up and two interceptions as a freshman. He will have to clean up some off-the-field issues, but he looks like a pure football player in the mold of Ed Reed. Mathieu could move to safety in the NFL.

T.J. McDonald, S, USC
Height: 6-2. Weight: 205.
Projected 40 Time: 4.52.
5/23/12: T.J. McDonald broke into the lineup as a sophomore in 2010 and had a strong debut. He led USC in tackles with 89 including three tackles for a loss, four passes broken up, three interceptions and a blocked punt. McDonald was an All-PAC-10 Second-Team selection. He had 67 tackles with three picks, two passes broken up and a blocked kick last season.

McDonald has the flexibility to play strong or free safety. He has good instincts and is a hard hitter, too. If McDonald has another good season, he could be a first-round pick. McDonald would immediately fit well in any NFL zone scheme since he been coached up by Monte Kiffin on the scheme he ran in Tampa Bay for many years.

Eric Reid*, S, LSU
Height: 6-2. Weight: 208.
Projected 40 Time: 4.45.
5/23/12: Reid had a breakout 2011 season. He was part of phenomenal secondary with safety Brandon Taylor and cornerbacks Morris Claiborne and Tyrann Mathieu. Mathieu and Reid tied for the team lead with 76 tackles each. Reid also had two interceptions, two tackles for a loss, three passes broken up and two forced fumbles. He was a Second-Team All-SEC pick in 2011.

Reid stepped up and played his best football against the best competition. He had a huge game in the first contest against Alabama and was the SEC Defensive Player of the Week as he recorded six tackles with an interception and forced fumble. The sophomore safety had 11 tackles in the rematch.

Reid had 32 tackles and two interceptions as a freshman. He is a good athlete and instinctive. Additionally, Reid has good size and is a hard hitter. His job won't be easier in 2012 as Taylor and Claiborne have moved on to the NFL.

If Reid continues to improve, he could easily turn into a first-round pick.

Matt Elam*, S, Florida
Height: 5-10. Weight: 205.
Projected 40 Time: 4.50.
Projected Round (2013): 1-3.
5/23/12: Elam is an underrated college football player. When watching Florida, he really stands out as a big time presence who is all over the field. Elam was the top recruit in the state of Florida coming out of high school, and he has been validating that standing through his tenure as a Gator.

Elam earned his first playing time as a true freshman and earned even more as the year progressed. Eventually, he started in place of disappointing junior Will Hill. Elam recorded 22 tackles in 2010 with a sack and a pass broken up. He improved in 2011 and was the best player on Florida's defense. He recorded 78 tackles with 11 tackles for a loss, two interceptions, seven passes broken up and two forced fumbles.

Elam is a fast, instinctive playmaker defending the pass in the deep part of the field. He also operates well near the line of scrimmage and is a physical run defender. Elam has a high ceiling and could turn into a highly-touted prospect in 2013 or 2014.

Robert Lester, S, Alabama
Height: 6-2. Weight: 210.
Projected 40 Time: 4.51.
Projected Round (2013): 2.
5/23/12: Lester had a breakout year in 2010. He was second in the nation with eight interceptions in his first season as a starter. Lester also chipped in 52 tackles with one sack and four passes broken up. He totaled 36 tackles with three passes broken up, one forced fumble, one blocked kick and two interceptions last season and was close on a lot of other potential interceptions.

With Lester's coverage and interceptions not as strong as they were in 2010, his stock has fallen from the first round. Still, he is a good overall free safety who defends the deep part of the field well. Lester also has more ballhawking skills than most safety prospects and will have three years of starting experience entering the NFL. If he has a big 2012 season, he could move back into the first-round much like former teammate Mark Barron.

Kenny Vaccaro, S, Texas
Height: 6-1. Weight: 215.
Projected 40 Time: 4.47.
Projected Round (2013): 2-3.
5/23/12: Vaccaro is another underrated player who doesn't receive the hype of some other safety prospects. He had 67 tackles with 6.5 tackles for a loss, two sacks, seven passes broken up and two interceptions as a junior in 2011. Vaccaro has good instincts and range. He was an All-Big XII First-Team pick.

It was Vaccaro's first full season as a starter, and he could be even better in 2012 after gaining a year of experience. He started six games in 2010 recording 56 tackles with one interception, eight passes broken up and one forced fumble.

Vaccaro is also a good special teams player.

Ray Ray Armstrong, S, Miami
Height: 6-4. Weight: 220.
Projected 40 Time: 4.59.
Projected Round (2013): 2-3.
5/23/12: Armstrong was suspended for the first four games of the 2011 season and his presence was missed by Miami. He was suspended for an additional game after outing himself on Twitter for having dinner with a marketing representative. The junior had 34 tackles with an interception and two passes broken up in six games last year.

Armstrong was a Second-Team All-ACC selection in 2010 and recorded 79 tackles with three interceptions. He showed up well against the Hurricanes' better opponents, with nine total tackles against both Ohio State and Florida State. Armstrong is fast, big and athletic. Additionally, he has tons of physical talent, but he has not translated that into a dominant on-field performance yet. If Armstrong lands with the right coaching staff, he could be a steal due to having a high ceiling. It is imperative that Armstrong stays out of trouble and productive as a senior, otherwise he could fall into the third day.

Bacarri Rambo, S, Georgia
Height: 6-0. Weight: 218.
Projected 40 Time: 4.58.
Projected Round (2013): 2-4.
5/23/12: Rambo could be a draft pick sooner than the 2013 NFL Draft as he has reportedly considered entering the supplemental draft later this summer. Rambo is appealing a four-game suspension by Georgia to start the 2012 season for violating team rules regarding drug usage.

The off-the-field concerns have been a big detriment to Rambo's draft stock, and it is hard to predict how heavily they will be weighed against him by NFL teams in 2012 or 2013.

Rambo had an excellent junior season and was one of the nation's leaders in interceptions with seven. He also had 52 tackles with seven passes broken up. Rambo is a physical player with good instincts. He has the speed to fly around the field and get in position to make plays.

If you watched Georgia in 2010, it was hard not to notice Rambo as a sophomore. The instinctive safety always found his way to the ball and was a play-maker. He totaled 82 tackles with three interceptions, three passes broken up and three forced fumbles. Rambo is a talented player who should be a starter in the NFL.

K Train
06-05-2012, 08:59 AM
I can't remember the site (and a lot can happen between now and next draft), but the safeties below were projected possible first round material:

Matt Elam
T.J. McDonald
Tyrann Mathieu
David Amerson
Xavier Rhodes
Tony Jefferson
Bacarri Rambo

We have signed Myron Rolle, but I am going to keep an eye on Bacarri Rambo this season. I think we can get a decent safety next year.

C-town
i forgot rambo, hes a good first round guy too. Rhodes to me is a prototype corner, and matheiu COULD maybe play safety, but hes tiny and will probably not be a first round guy, a quality second round NB imo, hes a good play maker and has a godly knack for stripping the ball

connecticutsteel
06-05-2012, 10:43 AM
The Steelers are at maximum capacity for drug suspended players Adams and Saunders (Adams is not suspended but would have been passed over by the FO) sorry Rambo

ChucktownSteeler
06-05-2012, 12:18 PM
The Steelers are at maximum capacity for drug suspended players Adams and Saunders (Adams is not suspended but would have been passed over by the FO) sorry Rambo

Yes, Rambo drew first blood (sorry, couldn't resist).

I think he is off our board.

ChucktownSteeler
06-05-2012, 05:53 PM
The "Year of the Safety" awaits.

C-town

connecticutsteel
06-06-2012, 04:19 AM
I've stated many times that i'm pulling for Myron Rolle .But why i am remains a topic for Dateline i think it's because i saw a news piece on him by E:60 about how he had his interview for his rhodes scholarship the same day as his team's bowl game.He went to his interview got the scholarship then flew by private jet or Helicoptor to the bowl game and played i think the whole second half .I thought that was impressive cause most college kids would have done one or the other or niether

ChucktownSteeler
06-06-2012, 06:27 AM
I've stated many times that i'm pulling for Myron Rolle .But why i am remains a topic for Dateline i think it's because i saw a news piece on him by E:60 about how he had his interview for his rhodes scholarship the same day as his team's bowl game.He went to his interview got the scholarship then flew by private jet or Helicoptor to the bowl game and played i think the whole second half .I thought that was impressive cause most college kids would have done one or the other or niether

I am pulling for him as well.

C-town

connecticutsteel
06-06-2012, 11:44 AM
I THINK THEY SAID ON THE PROGRAM THAT HE WAS A LATE 1ST RD EARLY 2ND RD PLAYER but because of the scholarship he dropped to the late rds cause people questioned his passion for the game

K Train
06-06-2012, 12:38 PM
nah he was never ranked that highly as a pro prospect, he was always a slow box safety

ChucktownSteeler
06-09-2012, 01:51 PM
Myron Rolle is going to surprise a ton of people.

connecticutsteel
06-24-2012, 09:49 AM
The Steelers love smart players

Black@Gold Forever32
06-24-2012, 11:25 AM
Being intelligent can't mask a lack of talent.....I'm rooting for Rolle to since I do think he is quality kid but at the same time my expectations remain low.......

connecticutsteel
06-24-2012, 04:52 PM
usually good players are are smart players

ChucktownSteeler
06-25-2012, 11:08 AM
usually good players are are smart players

That is very true.

K Train
06-25-2012, 12:17 PM
James Harrison, Patrick Peterson, Chris Johnson, Dez Bryant, Adrian Peterson, Frank Gore are all among the best at their positions and they are dumb as rocks. Actual measurable intelligence matters the most at QB, and maybe center, but especially QB.

Rolle would be better off being a brain surgeon, thats where he can contribute to the world. as a pro safety in the NFL, not so much. I would guess hes going to be in one of the first wave of cuts

ChucktownSteeler
06-25-2012, 12:24 PM
James Harrison, Patrick Peterson, Chris Johnson, Dez Bryant, Adrian Peterson, Frank Gore are all among the best at their positions and they are dumb as rocks. Actual measurable intelligence matters the most at QB, and maybe center, but especially QB.

Rolle would be better off being a brain surgeon, thats where he can contribute to the world. as a pro safety in the NFL, not so much. I would guess hes going to be in one of the first wave of cuts

Let's see what he does before throwing him out. I am glad this thought process wasn't used on James Harrisom, he was cut by the Steelers and Ravens 3 or 4 times. give the kid a shot, I know many top picks that are busts as well.

C-town

K Train
06-25-2012, 12:56 PM
james harrison needed to be cut 3-4 times, he was bad and needed to adjust to the pro game. Physically he was never really a question mark though. Rolle has a serious uphill battle to be a SS in the NFL, 20 years ago hed be a stud but hes just not that good in coverage and pretty slow

ChucktownSteeler
06-27-2012, 10:24 PM
I am sticking with Rolle, he is going to surprise.

K Train
06-28-2012, 09:41 AM
id like him to, but its just wishful thinking at this point...theres no room for him imo, hes gonn ahve a hard time beating out any of the current DBs

ChucktownSteeler
06-29-2012, 01:23 AM
Time will tell.

Real Deal Steel
08-30-2012, 08:32 PM
I hope Rolle does surprise but if he doesn't, I like that Vaccaro kid.

But I'm looking to see what they add at the LB's spots as well as a DT.

ChucktownSteeler
09-03-2012, 12:08 PM
Rolle was cut early, really disappointing.

Oh well, he seems to have a bright future ahead.

Good luck, Myron! You have a chance to benefit mankind!

C-town

SteelerCountry58
09-03-2012, 04:14 PM
Safety/Middle Linebacker/O Line/RB should be the order of priority with
the first four picks in the next draft IMO. We'll have to see how the season
pans out as far as the talent goes in the College ranks.

connecticutsteel
09-12-2012, 12:42 AM
TREVARDO WILLIAMS OR Shanye Skov