PDA

View Full Version : Are you comfortable with our cornerbacks?

Real Deal Steel
04-30-2012, 02:55 PM
I'd like to get an idea of how you feel about our cornerbacks. I"m very "iffy" on them right now. I'm happy that we address our D-line which I"m hoping will generate a greater pass rush which will help protect the guys in the secondary as a whole. But I'm concerned that our corners are never in position to make any type of play on the ball therefore our defense doesn't score as much as we'd like.

I'm wondering should we maybe take a look at Jenkins from Dallas (who's been put on the block) or the Buffalo cornerback (who's also been put on the block). I will be interested to see who gets cut in the coming months. A little bit of an upgrade would make me feel better.

Tell me where you guys are at concerning our corners & safties. Don't forget, we don't have Ryan Clark available for the season opener against the Broncos.

cbrunn
04-30-2012, 03:00 PM
I think our Cornerbacks are fine ... first and foremost in the Steelers defense the corners have to be able to TACKLE ... did they every have anybody recently that made plays on the ball?? ... and Ike and Kennan can tackle , along with Brown and Allan , and the 7th round pick Fredricks is supposed to be able to tackle very well too

I'm really excited for Brown and Allan , i think they both will be good ... Make or break year for Kennan i think ...

I think next year draft they solidify the DB's ... but i think Brown and Allan or the DB of the future

The Lakelander
04-30-2012, 03:11 PM
I'm very comfortable with them ... Ike Taylor is an elite shut down corner who was left out on an island vs. the Broncos ... it was the worst game of his career ... but take away that one game and Ike has been very solid ...

Keenan Lewis is coming on nicely. Cortez Allen and the other kid are fast and athletic ...

I like the situation ...

It's our safeties I am worried about ...

Rollers
04-30-2012, 03:30 PM
Lake how about Sean Spence playing a little safety????

connecticutsteel
04-30-2012, 03:55 PM
JESUS we just had the best draft class in the league for this year and the number 1 defense against the pass .The safety situation will hold up for one more year.We will be fine maybe it's time to see what cromartie-smith has got cause he's been hangin around for a minute .I don't expect much but hopefully he is the answer

PS Ike Taylor is a above average corner and a solid tough player but he is not an Elite cornerback

xBlitzBurghx
04-30-2012, 04:10 PM
I wish we had the money to sign a solid corner and wallace in FA. We would have been such a legit team that I would have been surprised if we didn't win the SB. Especially with the awesome draft we just had

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk

K Train
04-30-2012, 04:24 PM
that would never ever work

coldrolled
04-30-2012, 04:25 PM

He is our new Farrior. Listen to the Steelers. They already said spence is going to play ILB but cant play buck. So that leaves what?

Maybe they didnt want to say he is taking Sly's position.

Number99
04-30-2012, 05:22 PM
Whats wrong with the corners? Ike, Lewis, Brown and Allen. Thats not a bad group. And no more Gay that improves it by itself. And Mundy will fill in fine for Clark in the first game. Jenkins is no where near the answer. He was getting slammed by the Dallas media and fans last year why would he work in Pitt?

And for the love of God please stop with Spence at safety already. I'd love to see the laughter on Butlers's face if he was asked that question in a press conference.

Steelersfan
04-30-2012, 05:26 PM
It dont matter who the Steelers have in the secondary if we have a pass rush!

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Nolrog
04-30-2012, 05:58 PM
The cornerbacks on the #1 rated pass defense in the NFL are just fine. Put pressure on the QB and they'll be even better.

ChucktownSteeler
04-30-2012, 06:04 PM
The corners will look a whole lot better with an improved and HEALTHY front seven. Nothing helps a secondary like HEAT on the QB.

As far as safety, we will manage this year (let's also see what Myron Rolle brings to the table). We have just has a stellar draft and solidified both lines for 8 - 10 years to come. We can't fix every position in one year.

Next year is being touted already as "the year of the safety" with 7 or 8 safeties slated as round 1 prospects. How'd think our F.O. will do?

Think of it this way - Ben is now the "oldest" player on offense. This team has quietly gotten younger.

C-town

Real Deal Steel
04-30-2012, 07:07 PM
Myron Rolle..thanks for reminding me about him. Real intelligent guy which is what we need back there. You guys are right about the tackling aspect of our corners. That has been a staple and should continue to be so.

coldrolled
04-30-2012, 07:21 PM
Ok, He is supposed to run 4.4 and is smart...

Name: Myron Rolle
College: Florida State Height: 6-2 Weight: 215 Position: SS 40 Time: 4.59 40 Low: 4.54 40 High: 4.76

So why was he released? Can he tackle? Can he Cover?

steelchamp204
04-30-2012, 07:33 PM
Im more worried about Troy staying healthy at his point. Im worried about the safeties more than the CB's to be honest.

ChucktownSteeler
04-30-2012, 07:36 PM
Ok, He is supposed to run 4.4 and is smart...

Name: Myron Rolle
College: Florida State Height: 6-2 Weight: 215 Position: SS 40 Time: 4.59 40 Low: 4.54 40 High: 4.76

So why was he released? Can he tackle? Can he Cover?

Coming out of college he was a Rhodes Scholar (went to Oxford to study), teams questioned his commitment to the NFL. They shied away from him. he had a stint with the Titans, but was cut. He is a low risk/ high reward gamble, in mold of Harrison and FWP.

C-town

wyn50
04-30-2012, 08:01 PM
I hope some of the CB's the steelers took can be used as safeties. Carnell Lake should be a great teacher at doing both.

BlitzburghRockCity
04-30-2012, 08:17 PM
Cornerbacks are fine, I was one of those people barking about not needing one in the draft, other than maybe late round value. You invested 2 high draft picks last year and there's still Ike Taylor and Keenan Lewis. There's your 3, plus Ike, at that position this year that will compete in an epic battle in training camp to see who wants that job opposite Taylor. Each one displayed the potential for a bright future last year in limited action.

The pass rush has got to be improved this year though because the 34 defense isn't designed to have them be left alone for too long.

Number99
04-30-2012, 09:12 PM
The key to the pass rush is health. There certainly still is the talent to have a beastly one. Harrison and Woodley both in less then a full season achieved 9 sacks a piece. Timmons' year I think was screwed up because of his time at OLB. So if Providence watches over them with a close eye this year prepare to unleash the madness again.

steelspikes
04-30-2012, 10:48 PM
Steelers knew what they had to address in this draft...and they did it! Not overly concerned with corner situation. Young players such as Cortez Allen and Keenan Lewis will play key roles this year. Ike may be starting to decline a bit, but still a solid pro.

Steelers/PSU Fan
05-01-2012, 12:23 AM
I'm very comfortable with them ... Ike Taylor is an elite shut down corner who was left out on an island vs. the Broncos ... it was the worst game of his career ... but take away that one game and Ike has been very solid ...

Keenan Lewis is coming on nicely. Cortez Allen and the other kid are fast and athletic ...

I like the situation ...

It's our safeties I am worried about ...

Ugh, still having nightmares of that Broncos game. Hitler pretty much sums up my sentiments of that game:

http://youtu.be/jD6B1CXXgM0

Raleigh Steel
05-01-2012, 07:08 AM
the corners are fine, but if lebeau doesn't start playing a little more press coverage the front 7 will be irrelevant. with the way the league is going, and has gone the past few seasons, teams can 7 yard out us all day because the non-ike CB is playing 11 yards off. maybe some of that was fear of b-fad/willie gay getting torched!

i'm hoping this year that ike AND keenan play a little tighter coverage which will help the front 7 get to the qb and reek havoc!!!

The Lakelander
05-01-2012, 07:15 AM
the corners are fine, but if lebeau doesn't start playing a little more press coverage the front 7 will be irrelevant. with the way the league is going, and has gone the past few seasons, teams can 7 yard out us all day because the non-ike CB is playing 11 yards off. maybe some of that was fear of b-fad/willie gay getting torched!

i'm hoping this year that ike AND keenan play a little tighter coverage which will help the front 7 get to the qb and reek havoc!!!

Awesome post! ... I agree with it ...

Keenan has shown the ability to press ... and he has the size to do it against bigger wideouts ... He plays well in tight spaces ...

We shall see ...

cbrunn
05-01-2012, 07:21 AM

haha thought i was the only one that noticed that ... i be telling the ppl i'm watching the games with, look at all that space their giving up

Zachintosh66
05-01-2012, 08:17 AM
This is what they have said about our draft picks:

1. DeCastro will prolly start on first team and they will go from there.
2. Adams wont, he'll have to earn EVERYTHING
3. Spence is an ILB, period. The Mack ILB is a wide open race. Sly is penciled in now but you got Foote and they may move LT over and try him there. Spence is a nickle LB guy, not a S at all. Fast for a LB/Slow for a S.
4. Ta'Amu is going to sit (like Ziggy and Heyward did)
5. Raines will be the returner, not Brown (im sure Brown will do it occasionally, kinda like Holmes did his last year)
6. T-Clem is big fast and can block... has the drop-sies tho.
7. Paulson, yes another TE but Saunders will miss the beg of year. I dont see DJ making final roster but just IMO
8. Fredrick, very good in the slot... will get a chance to compete with the rest of our young corners
9. KB, very smart... prolly a PS... anyone but J.Scott!

cmerrifield
05-01-2012, 08:19 AM

That actually depends on the QB. We beat the Patriots because we used tight press coverage, but Flacco eats that up and beat us right after that. LeBeau benched McFadden because he was a zone CB. Lewis, Ike, Allen and Brown can all play both and may be a little better at man, but our CB's need to play both depending on the opposing QB.

BlacknGoldHaze
05-01-2012, 10:51 PM
I hope some of the CB's the steelers took can be used as safeties. Carnell Lake should be a great teacher at doing both.

Agreed....I too like Carnell coaching our secondary....Rolle may make a better safety.