PDA

View Full Version : Will Ta'amu beat out McLendon to start at NT for the Steelers?

CowherPower
04-30-2012, 10:54 AM
Alameda Ta'amu appears to be the second coming of Casey Hampton, at least I think so. 6'7" 348 lbs is just a monster of a guy. From what I've read he'll be a 2 down type of player like Hampton is, coming out on passing situations. However he's got what could be some better feet than the big snack so if he is stuck out on the field in no huddle situations and what not he might not be so bad.

I know you can't predict how the guy will do when he hasn't even played yet but do you guys think he can beat out McLendon? If you listen to John Mitchell he'll tell you to not write off McLendon until you see him play more. That comment could go either way depending on what you read into it but at the very least we have some options now at NT with big snack likely not ready to go.

K Train
04-30-2012, 11:00 AM
hes 6-4 not 6-7 that would be a ridiclous tall NT lol.

he will beat him out, theres zero doubt in my mind. mcclendon looks like he could be a great backup at both NT and DE though

coldrolled
04-30-2012, 11:15 AM
mcclendon is not a slouch... We are good with both of them at NT..

Lets see what our corners can do.. thats my worry.

LatrobePA
04-30-2012, 11:17 AM
I like his chances...

cmerrifield
04-30-2012, 11:18 AM
I want to see the 3 NT front line from time to time that LeBeau runs. Those three guys could plug a freeway. I am not sure who will win, but hopefully they both stay and end up with a Hampton/Hoke situation where there is not a drop when the other one is in. Plus, McLendon does seem to move both inside and out well.

K Train
04-30-2012, 11:20 AM
mcclendon is not a slouch... We are good with both of them at NT..

Lets see what our corners can do.. thats my worry.

corners played well last year...im not really worried about the corners, im excited for the younger guys

Keisel, Taamu, Heyward is a line that you simply cant move. Add hood in there that he can penetrate and then you have 2 of the best bull rushing OLBs in the league. Just going to be a nightmare to run on at all

LatrobePA
04-30-2012, 11:35 AM
corners played well last year...im not really worried about the corners, im excited for the younger guys

Keisel, Taamu, Heyward is a line that you simply cant move. Add hood in there that he can penetrate and then you have 2 of the best bull rushing OLBs in the league. Just going to be a nightmare to run on at all

My wee wee just got a little stiff...

K Train
04-30-2012, 11:37 AM
weve seen this defense have incredible numbers against the run (sometimes <50ypg)....who would have thought that could have gotten better with aaron smith and casey hampton getting old and replaced. damn we are spoiled lol

coldrolled
04-30-2012, 11:41 AM

Ktrain this is just awesome... Our OL and DL are now young and powerful, next years draft should be really fun...

Plus ... OL and Haley with a healthy Ben. BA being gone is another plus positive without the draft. The AFCN better be ready haha... And we still have Wallace.

Nolrog
04-30-2012, 12:32 PM

Totally agree. #1 pass defense in the NFL last year. Get some more pressure on the QB (a decided weakness last year) and we'll cause more turn overs.

Real Deal Steel
04-30-2012, 12:33 PM
I'm envisioning that Mcclendon gets the initial starts (out of respect) but Ta'amu get some snaps and his snaps increases through out the year. Plus Hampton is going to get in there too.

Can we inform Mr. Rice of the Ravens that there will be no thoughts of running against us this year.

BlacknGoldHaze
04-30-2012, 01:00 PM
I'm envisioning that Mcclendon gets the initial starts (out of respect) but Ta'amu get some snaps and his snaps increases through out the year. Plus Hampton is going to get in there too.

Can we inform Mr. Rice of the Ravens that there will be no thoughts of running against us this year.

Should be tough to run against us this year for sure! :yellowthumb:

coldrolled
04-30-2012, 02:36 PM

CC: Richardson

Nolrog
04-30-2012, 03:12 PM
What's the timeframe? Will he beat out McLendon by game 1? Very doubtful. Will he beat him out by the middle of the season? Very possible. Will he beat him out by the start of next season? Very likely.

K Train
04-30-2012, 03:19 PM
theres no reason he shouldnt be starting from day 1 imo

SteelDad
04-30-2012, 03:42 PM
I heard DL Coach John Mitchell this morning on the Trib and I'll tell you what, he is VERY high on McClendon. He kept saying, "Ask me about him at the end of the year." I would love to see Ta'amu and McClendon on the same line occasionally. We could absolutely dominate.

coldrolled
04-30-2012, 04:12 PM
theres no reason he shouldnt be starting from day 1 imo

I have this crazy feeling all 5 picks will play a lot and some will be starters to start the season.

KemoTherapy
04-30-2012, 04:13 PM
They are big on loyalty so I think they will start McClendon initailly but not for long. Probably the most surprising thing I saw on the Ta'Aamu clips was the number of times he lined up not directly over the nose. I guess he's not quite the lumbering beast you'd think he would be. If, and it's a big if, he were to totally commit himself to being the best player he can be and get in top shape then he could be a poor mans Ngata.

K Train
04-30-2012, 04:18 PM
he was the best player on that defense and was used all over the line because hes got good range and nice agility to pursue the ball carrier. hes very power, very stout, and will probably line up over nose for us early and often because hes going to quickly show hes the best at it

connecticutsteel
04-30-2012, 05:44 PM
So what will become of Al Woods? 3rd string

ChucktownSteeler
04-30-2012, 07:12 PM
He beats out McClendon, no doubt.
C-town

Black@Gold Forever32
04-30-2012, 08:02 PM
I wanted Chapman more then Ta'amu at first but I have changed that.....I just the Tide defense so much......But Ta'amu had little help at Washington and the guy has a non stop motor.......I actually think Ta'amu could be a 3 down NT at times......He will never be at getting to the QB but I do think he could be effective.......Dude is a beast......

ChucktownSteeler
04-30-2012, 08:45 PM
I wanted Chapman more then Ta'amu at first but I have changed that.....I just the Tide defense so much......But Ta'amu had little help at Washington and the guy has a non stop motor.......I actually think Ta'amu could be a 3 down NT at times......He will never be at getting to the QB but I do think he could be effective.......Dude is a beast......

I am with you. I wanted Chapman because of the SEC pedigree, but Ta'amu is one big boy. It's a win-win situation.

C-town

Rollers
04-30-2012, 10:10 PM
I thought Hampton was the starter? Isn't he going to be ready for the season opener?

ChucktownSteeler
04-30-2012, 10:12 PM
I thought Hampton was the starter? Isn't he going to be ready for the season opener?

With his torn ACL I think there is a good probability he may not be 100% opening day. That makes this pick all the more important.

C-town

coldrolled
04-30-2012, 10:21 PM
Mendy and Hampton will be on PUP

Rollers
04-30-2012, 10:31 PM
Hmm. I was almost sure I read that he'd be ready. Guess I was wrong. My very first mistake ever!

BlacknGoldHaze
04-30-2012, 10:33 PM
Hmm. I was almost sure I read that he'd be ready. Guess I was wrong. My very first mistake ever!
:lol:

Goodfrom55
04-30-2012, 11:38 PM
Physically he might be more imposing than McClendon, but there is an element to knowing where to line up, and where to be, what to do, etc.

roosterray
05-01-2012, 12:25 AM
After watching him Play at UW for the last year, I'm excited to see how he will fit in the Burgh.

2 Washingtonians in the Hawks back yard are now Steelers. I couldn't be happier.

acero
05-01-2012, 12:45 AM
hes 6-4 not 6-7 that would be a ridiclous tall NT lol.

he will beat him out, theres zero doubt in my mind. mcclendon looks like he could be a great backup at both NT and DE though

i was thinking the same....great DL backup

K Train
05-01-2012, 10:36 AM
So what will become of Al Woods? 3rd string

its do or die for him, hes soooooooooooooooooooo athletic though i hope they give him a shot as a backup NT/DE or passing down NT

coldrolled
05-01-2012, 12:47 PM
its do or die for him, hes soooooooooooooooooooo athletic though i hope they give him a shot as a backup NT/DE or passing down NT

Could he be a versitale DL backup... I think he can be great too.

BlitzburghRockCity
05-01-2012, 04:01 PM
If he does start he will have definitely earned it. Rookies rarely start on the Steelers defense unless they are thrust into that role by injury to someone else. I think he's the future, no question, but McLendon probably starts the season and then they see what happens.

Woods is definitely in a make or break situation right now and with precious few roster spots open it's going to be tough.

K Train
05-01-2012, 04:34 PM
NT is sooooooooooooooooo easy to start as a rookie compared to any position in the steelers defense

BlitzburghRockCity
05-03-2012, 12:46 PM
The defensive line in general is an easier position to play, relatively speaking of course. Your main job is to stop the run and occasionally drop back into coverage but if you're Ta'amu you won't be in coverage that often, lol. "Hey rook, get up there and hog up that guard and tackle, we'll do the rest" ... "ok coach, got it"

Obviously a bit more involved than that with knowing assignments and learning the defensive plays, etc. If he can catch on quick he could be in the lineup sooner rather than later even with John Mitchell not liking rookies on his defense.

K Train
05-03-2012, 12:58 PM
its essentially that easy in the steelers 34. he needs to go out there and be 6-4 350 pounds and get in the way of the interior lineman....they will quickly realize hes better at that than the 280 pound mcclendon

JensK
05-03-2012, 02:46 PM
I doubt they'll want Ta'mau to stay around 350. I'm thinking more around 330-350ish. Hampton is 325 iirc and they have had some concerns with his weight before, although he (and myself included) shrugged that off.

K Train
05-03-2012, 02:57 PM
I doubt they'll want Ta'mau to stay around 350. I'm thinking more around 330-350ish. Hampton is 325 iirc and they have had some concerns with his weight before, although he (and myself included) shrugged that off.

hes bigger and wider than hampton...by quite a bit actually

hampton hasnt been 325 since high school lol

JensK
05-03-2012, 03:00 PM
hes bigger and wider than hampton...by quite a bit actually

hampton hasnt been 325 since high school lol

I know he is. I just found 350 to be too much and I think Steelers would think so as well. I just checked Steelers.com which is where I recall seeing Hampton being listed at 325. That might not be true, but it says so at least.

K Train
05-03-2012, 03:03 PM
caseys camp issues are when he balloons to the 380s, tomlin makes him get around 340-350 for the season.

taamu is just a bigger guy and a better athlete..he shouldnt have a problem playing at 350 being hes 4 inches tallker than hampton.

if he gets to 330 though thats great, still perfect for the role

Nolrog
05-03-2012, 06:20 PM
caseys camp issues are when he balloons to the 380s, tomlin makes him get around 340-350 for the season.

And since he can't do much working out for a while, he should hit that numbre with relative ease. One of the reasons why I don't think we'll see him this year.

BlitzburghRockCity
05-03-2012, 10:29 PM
That's one of the things I was concerned about ever since he had that surgery. Hopefully the rehab he's doing will help keep that weight in check. He's only got a year or two yet and then he can eat all he wants. lol.

I would love to see Ta'amu just get in the lineup and grab hold of that job and run with it.

coldrolled
05-03-2012, 11:43 PM
I would love to see Ta'amu just get in the lineup and grab hold of that job and run with it.

looks like he has the best shot at it.

BlitzburghRockCity
05-06-2012, 01:08 PM
If he applies himself and is able to grasp the position at the professional level there's no reason he can't make an immediate impact to start the year. At the very least he'll be in the rotation and perhaps take over by mid season. Playing in a 34 defense is not easy, I get that, but his job is to occupy his blockers and stop the run. He's a two down player, coming out on passing situations.

As long as he can learn the techniques and playbook he'll be fine contrary to what some so called experts seem to think about his lack of ability to start. Kaboly from the Trib tweeted that we shouldn't expect much out of him this year. I couldn't disagree more. You better expect a lot out of him and you better expect him to deliver.