PDA

View Full Version : Did the Steelers break the rules?

Rollers
04-30-2012, 06:26 AM
I think the story of Mike Adams is a great story. My question is I thought you weren't allowed to have contact with a guy before the draft? What went on between the Steelers and Adams almost seems like a type of negotiation no? The Steelers told him he was off their board and here's what you had to do to get back on it. So he does all that and I guess let the Steelers know he had done it. There was no guarantee the Steelers would get an opportunity to pick the guy but I'm almost sure you aren't allowed to have that kind of contact before and during the draft? Hopefully there's someone here that knows the rules and could speak to that. Are you allowed to be in this kind of contact with guys before the draft?

Steelersfan
04-30-2012, 06:35 AM
I could be wrong, but I believe the all teams are allowed to bring in a certain amount of players and when Adams contacted them they counted it towards that.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Nolrog
04-30-2012, 06:35 AM
They are allowed to bring 30 candidates in house for meetings prior to the draft. Adams was one of those 30. There was no rule breaking.

Rollers
04-30-2012, 06:47 AM
So even though he was off their board they brought him in for a visit? I didn't know that. Why would they bring him in for a visit if he were off their board?

Rollers
04-30-2012, 06:48 AM
Thanks for the info

ChucktownSteeler
04-30-2012, 07:05 AM
I think the story of Mike Adams is a great story. My question is I thought you weren't allowed to have contact with a guy before the draft? What went on between the Steelers and Adams almost seems like a type of negotiation no? The Steelers told him he was off their board and here's what you had to do to get back on it. So he does all that and I guess let the Steelers know he had done it. There was no guarantee the Steelers would get an opportunity to pick the guy but I'm almost sure you aren't allowed to have that kind of contact before and during the draft? Hopefully there's someone here that knows the rules and could speak to that. Are you allowed to be in this kind of contact with guys before the draft?

Rollers,

I was thinking the same thing a few days ago myself, but I saw that Mike wrote the same letter and sent it to all 32 teams. Also, as stated, the Steelers are permitted contact with 30 players, so I think they are fine. Also, he is "local" to them (I think) the rules are a little more relaxed.

Who said great minds think alike!

C-town

Steelersfan
04-30-2012, 07:22 AM
So even though he was off their board they brought him in for a visit? I didn't know that. Why would they bring him in for a visit if he were off their board?

Adams contacted them and that is when they decided to bring him in. I guess they felt enough towards him as a player to at least see what he had to say. Glad they did!

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Rollers
04-30-2012, 07:34 AM
Appreciate it guys. I guess since he contacted him and no actual details of a contract were discussed they were ok. Just seemed like a lot more contact before the draft than you usually see. Steelersfan indeed I'm glad they did as well. Let's hope the young man can start day 1! How cool would it be to see two new O line starters?

coldrolled
04-30-2012, 07:42 AM
Adams and DeCastro have to start. Who will be starting if they dont?

Is Colon ready to play?

Spence will surprise also, if you can watch some cane replays you will see him everywhere on the plays. He has to get into rotation... Sly better play smart and hard or he will be watching Spence play.

Zachintosh66
04-30-2012, 07:53 AM
From what I read He asked to meet w/ Steelers, so they brought him in. The explained his positive test... He told him to then write a letter for all the teams stating the explanation. At that time they told him he was off their board, but if he did the letter and other "right" things (didnt specify) it could help his draft stock. Then after he fell in the sceond, they talked about it heavily and felt it was the right move (he truely wasnt on their board) then they broke their own "rule" by drafting someone that wasnt on their board.

Root4Stlrs
04-30-2012, 08:30 AM
From what I read He asked to meet w/ Steelers, so they brought him in. The explained his positive test... He told him to then write a letter for all the teams stating the explanation. At that time they told him he was off their board, but if he did the letter and other "right" things (didnt specify) it could help his draft stock. Then after he fell in the sceond, they talked about it heavily and felt it was the right move (he truely wasnt on their board) then they broke their own "rule" by drafting someone that wasnt on their board.

I didn't know abt letter. I read Jayron Hosley wrote letter to all teams. Adams grew up Steelers fan and was very upset abt being off team board so, according to agent, told him if u were my son I wld tell u to go meet face to face. There is deadline for bringing in players from out of town but later for local. Met with Colbert, Tomlin, Rooney. Give him credit. That took guts.

LatrobePA
04-30-2012, 08:52 AM
NO... Adams will play at a high level for his team, the letter was no different than Harbaugh texting with possible draft picks!

BlitzburghRockCity
04-30-2012, 09:05 AM
You can bring in players before the draft for visits, that's how you learn about these guys in more than just 15 minutes at the combine or on film. Whether they are technically on your draft board or not doesn't matter. The league doesn't care who's on your board at any point.

I gotta give the guy credit, he called the Steelers and they agreed to meet with him, that showed that he realizes the importance of his mistake and what this opportunity means.

LatrobePA
04-30-2012, 09:12 AM
Being he's a local guy here in Ohio I know a guy his kids went to school with Adams and they claim he's a total pothead toolbag, with that said that was high school, let's hope he has grown up and that crap is behind him..

Nolrog
04-30-2012, 09:36 AM

He conctated the Steelers and requested the visit. They wouldn't have brought him in otherwise.

BlacknGoldHaze
04-30-2012, 12:07 PM
Being he's a local guy here in Ohio I know a guy his kids went to school with Adams and they claim he's a total pothead toolbag, with that said that was high school, let's hope he has grown up and that crap is behind him..
I still have a problem with this guy testing positive at this late date....high school is one thing...can't imagine how stupid this kid is to put his career on the line....

igor0190
04-30-2012, 12:13 PM
Risk/Reward kind of pick. I love the pick and think it's well worth the risk. He has all the tools to succeed and will be surrounded by guys with work ethic and drive to support him. Hopefully he leaves his pot smoking friends behind him and turns the page. He loves the Steelers and I have a feeling he will not want to let them down for giving him a chance.

Also, I dont see any rule breaking as teams early in the first round always used to discuss contracts with the players.

greennick
04-30-2012, 12:22 PM
He was still just a college student. Hopefully he smarts up now.

JollyRob68
04-30-2012, 12:50 PM
College kids & Pro Athletes smoke pot. Not a big deal. However, He is on a very short leash and you can bet his contract will protect The Steelers. I knew they wouldn't take him in the first but value was too great to bypass in the second. I'll admit I thought they'd take Bobby Massie because he also visited But LT dont grow on tree's. Bye Bye Jonathan Scott welcome back Max Starks this summer. What a interesting camp battle those guys will have.

Rollers
04-30-2012, 01:56 PM
BLAZIN HAZEL!!!! How's it going man? Haven't seen on facebook in forever

SteelDad
04-30-2012, 02:48 PM
There is a period of time between when the completion all 30 visits and the draft when teams are not allowed contact potential picks. Not sure when the meeting took place between Adams and the Steelers but I'm confident the Steelers would have made plenty sure they were not in violation of league rules.

BlacknGoldHaze
04-30-2012, 08:34 PM
BLAZIN HAZEL!!!! How's it going man? Haven't seen on facebook in forever
Watch that blazin crap you old coot!!:rant2::lol:

BTW, been busy busy at work....I'll be around soon....

Rollers
04-30-2012, 09:09 PM
Man I am an old coot. When you're right you're right