PDA

View Full Version : USA Today Grading of the Draft, Guess who is #1

SteelCurtainYinzer
04-29-2012, 11:32 PM
Every years for as long as I can remember I looked forward to the USA Today's Monday coverage of the draft. But for the first time that I can remember the Steelers were graded as having the best draft in 2012. While it might not be a big surprise to many who read this board or others, I think people across the country who only watch their team will be mad to see how our Pittsburgh Steelers are regrouping and working our way to our seventh Lombardi.
The more I read about the guys we drafted the more excited I am about the up coming season. Training camp can't start soon enough.
If you want to read the USA Today Story, here is the link.
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/story/2012-04-29/ratings-2012-NFL-draft/54629536/1

sdurity
04-30-2012, 12:07 AM
Love it!

Real Deal Steel
04-30-2012, 02:22 AM
I'm even happy about the undrafted guys we signed. I think our special team units will be outstanding too! The safety we signed (Robert Golden) I'm really intrigued about. Hope he can help us down the line.

Rollers
04-30-2012, 07:20 AM
No way to know at this point how this draft will turn out but how cool is it that at least the people that know talent are saying a team picking at 24 had a great draft? Remember that a big part of this was the Steelers being willing to take a chance on a guy with some problems that at one point was off their board. Now let's see these guys contribute next year.

ChucktownSteeler
04-30-2012, 07:56 AM
I saw that article, thanks for posting. It is a great draft, no doubt.

C-town

Njsteelersnut
04-30-2012, 07:59 AM
This is one of their best drafts in many years

FeelSteel
04-30-2012, 09:14 AM
I don't look much into the draft after the 4th round, but DeCastro, Adams, Spence and Ta'amu are solid picks! you can't ask for much more than that, awesome. The guys after the 4th round seem interesting too but that's about it, interesting.

BlitzburghRockCity
04-30-2012, 10:23 AM
We needed this draft to be great and at this point it looks like they hit it out of the park. As long as we hit on DeCastro, Adams, Spence, and Ta'amu the rest of the guys are just a bonus. I'd like to see what Rainey can do competing with the rest of the backfield too.

Nolrog
04-30-2012, 10:34 AM
Colbert's eventual grade won't be known for 3 years, and will very much depend on Adams and Spence and how they do. From a fan sense, I'm really happy. Much like last year, it's like making a list out before you go to the store and then coming back with everything on your list. . . . .

Going into the draft, needs clearly were OL, NT, ILB and we came out with OG, OT, ILB (OLB we plan to use inside) and NT. I was hoping for multiple OL men, and my buddy Raden/Greg said he was expecting it. Kudos to him, but I still got the 1st round pick prize. :banana:

DeCastro is a stud, and anyone could have made that pick. Adams was a roll of the dice. I think a good pick, but not without some risk. Spence, I don't know about. Seems like a good kid with a nose for the ball, but we'll have to wait and see what they do with him. Ta'amu is the guy I wanted in the 3rd, but we got in the 4th.

coldrolled
04-30-2012, 10:43 AM
Blitz, Rainey has one person to beat, Maze...

Rainey will be returning kicks and a 3rd down frustration for everyone we play.

Moore and Batch may be done now.

LatrobePA
04-30-2012, 10:48 AM
I've been reading a bunch on Spence and he looks like the perfect Steelers LB, we'll see...

harpo
04-30-2012, 01:17 PM
I follow the 'Canes and i'm telling you, Spence was a very good pick. He is a very intelligent player who's always around the ball and knows where to be in critical situations. He's quick, fast and can really 'lay the wood'. Spence will not disappoint. Don't be surprised if he's starting next year in the middle with Timmons. I was questioning the Spence pick initially, but it dawned on me that the Steelers are making sure that they are able to contain Ray Rice and the Patriots TEs for next year and in the future.

BTW.....I saw an interview with Tomlin over the weekend and he was asked about the selection of Rainey. Tomlin indicated that Haley wanted him because he reminded him of McCluster. Also, Mayock said that Rainey is just as fast (maybe even faster) as Wallace. Anyways, he's a game-breaker and i'm sure that he'll make his presence felt sooner rather than later.

coldrolled
04-30-2012, 02:35 PM
If Hightower plays and or starts for the Pats which they are already talking.. Spence will for sure play and or start this year. The Canes are my home team here every saturday. Spence is a ball hawk and is in on every play and plays hard and reads plays fast. He is a Steeler... He has to play.

ChucktownSteeler
04-30-2012, 07:16 PM
I follow the 'Canes and i'm telling you, Spence was a very good pick. He is a very intelligent player who's always around the ball and knows where to be in critical situations. He's quick, fast and can really 'lay the wood'. Spence will not disappoint. Don't be surprised if he's starting next year in the middle with Timmons. I was questioning the Spence pick initially, but it dawned on me that the Steelers are making sure that they are able to contain Ray Rice and the Patriots TEs for next year and in the future.

BTW.....I saw an interview with Tomlin over the weekend and he was asked about the selection of Rainey. Tomlin indicated that Haley wanted him because he reminded him of McCluster. Also, Mayock said that Rainey is just as fast (maybe even faster) as Wallace. Anyways, he's a game-breaker and i'm sure that he'll make his presence felt sooner rather than later.

Thanks for posting. I have a feeling the Steelers had this kid targeted for quite a while. They like what they saw and have a definite plan for him. I feel he is going to surprise!

Real Deal Steel
04-30-2012, 07:52 PM
Moore and Batch may be done now.

Moore is done. That's in the 90% that he's gone.

ChucktownSteeler
04-30-2012, 08:47 PM
Maybe this makes up a little for the 2008 draft.

C-town

Nolrog
05-05-2012, 09:47 PM
Maybe this makes up a little for the 2008 draft.

Sorry for the bump.

Bleacher Report has an article about that draft for the Steelers: Link (http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1172142-pittsburgh-steelers-2008-nfl-draft-do-over-with-analysis#/articles/1172142-pittsburgh-steelers-2008-nfl-draft-do-over-with-analysis)

Man, that draft was just aweful.

1st: Mendenhall
2nd: Limas Sweed
3rd: Bruce Davis
4th: Tony Hills
5th: Dennis Dixon
6th: Mike Humpal
6th: Ryan Mundy

Blazedby92
05-05-2012, 10:41 PM
Wow that Bleacher report could make you cry if it was true man that would of been a hell of a Draft. Could of should of, oh well

connecticutsteel
05-05-2012, 11:09 PM
Should we have taken Dennard instead of Rainey in the 5th why did Dennard fall so far did i miss something?

I wonder who besides Heath Miller will ultimately end up on the 53 man Roster

#85 David Johnson 6'2" 260
#81 Wes lyons 6'9" 260
#80 Jamie McCoy 6'2" 240
#48 David Paulson 6'4" 241
#45 Leonard Pope 6'8' 264
#82 Weslye Saunders 6'5" 270

6 men 3 spots who makes it????????????:thinking:

coldrolled
05-06-2012, 10:05 AM
No way to know at this point how this draft will turn out but how cool is it that at least the people that know talent are saying a team picking at 24 had a great draft? Remember that a big part of this was the Steelers being willing to take a chance on a guy with some problems that at one point was off their board. Now let's see these guys contribute next year.

Belechick took Dennard the Bengals have burfict.. Adams is an Angel..

NorCalSteel
05-06-2012, 03:29 PM
I really like this draft on paper it looks great.I would hardly call the 2008 draft a bust with Mendy and Mundy. they all cant be a hit.

JollyRob68
05-06-2012, 04:35 PM
Having Rainey and possibly MAze will allow us to not use A.Brown and EMU. It gives EMU more time to heal his feet.

JollyRob68
05-06-2012, 04:40 PM
Should we have taken Dennard instead of Rainey in the 5th why did Dennard fall so far did i miss something?

I wonder who besides Heath Miller will ultimately end up on the 53 man Roster

#85 David Johnson 6'2" 260
#81 Wes lyons 6'9" 260
#80 Jamie McCoy 6'2" 240
#48 David Paulson 6'4" 241
#45 Leonard Pope 6'8' 264
#82 Weslye Saunders 6'5" 270

6 men 3 spots who makes it????????????:thinking:

Don't forget HB Will Johnson. I think Will Johnson HB,Wes Lyons & David Paulson while Saunders is on suspension. Then one goes to practice squad.

Nolrog
05-06-2012, 06:35 PM
Wow that Bleacher report could make you cry if it was true man that would of been a hell of a Draft. Could of should of, oh well

Just keep in mind that they have the benefit of perfect hindsight. Plus, if that's how 2008 turned out, the future drafts would have been different too (e.g., likely no Pouncey in 2009, etc.)

Root4Stlrs
05-06-2012, 10:22 PM
Just keep in mind that they have the benefit of perfect hindsight. Plus, if that's how 2008 turned out, the future drafts would have been different too (e.g., likely no Pouncey in 2009, etc.)

Yes, if you're a fan of any time travel movies, you know that any change in the past could have unknown and perhaps unintended consequences in the future. I have to say, though, some of those picks were pretty bad, especially the LB from UCLA.