PDA

View Full Version : Can we finally put to rest the talk of a "true fullback"?

strummerfan
04-29-2012, 10:24 AM
Now that the draft is over and we have 3 HB/TE's on the roster it should be abundantly clear that a "true fullback" isn't a priority with Haley either.

coldrolled
04-29-2012, 10:33 AM
We have Will Johnson, John Clay and 85 and Legs..

ChucktownSteeler
04-29-2012, 10:39 AM

I hope with the bolstering of the O-Line it gives "Legs" more opportunities at FB. Man I love to see him in the backfield.

C-town

strummerfan
04-29-2012, 10:42 AM

Johnson- hb/te
Johnson- hb/te
Clay- rb(I'm betting he gets cut)
Legs- OL If we can manage to skip the injury bug this year we'll probably see him in goal line situations again, but still not a fullback.

BlitzburghRockCity
04-29-2012, 10:57 AM
I was hoping they would take one of those 7th round picks and go after one. If you're a team that wants to stay committed to running the football, why not have a true FB on the roster and have him double as a ST type player. DJ isn't exactly a stellar player at that position either; these hybrid type players just never excite me.

Real Deal Steel
04-29-2012, 11:20 AM
these hybrid type players just never excite me.

I agree. But they may still address the fullback position. We'll see.

cmerrifield
04-29-2012, 11:56 AM
We dont need a full back. DeCastro and Pouncey pull well and Haley will use weapons properly to help our running game. I am fine if we have one, but not sure we need one.

sent from my Evo using Tapatalk

coach
04-29-2012, 12:48 PM
I think if it were in the cards, they would have picked one up in the 7th.

HUNT4SEVEN
04-29-2012, 01:30 PM
I agree i don't like hybrid TE/HB's hopefully we will add a FB, we have Saunders, DJ,Pope, Miller, and they drafted a TE WTF? :duh:

coldrolled
04-29-2012, 02:19 PM
John Clay is like 250lbs at 6'

Will Johnson is 240lbs at 6'

these guys are FB's in a non Arians offense.

They are to short for TE's

JollyRob68
04-29-2012, 03:10 PM
Can't wait to see Will Johnson and would of liked Chad Deihl getting selected.

strummerfan
04-29-2012, 03:26 PM
John Clay is like 250lbs at 6'

Will Johnson is 240lbs at 6'

these guys are FB's in a non Arians offense.

They are to short for TE's

So now West Virginia runs an "Arians Offense"? Also Will Johnson is the same height and weight as Aaron Hernandez(6'2" 245). WHile we're at it David Johnson is 6'2 as well.

jpele
05-01-2012, 08:45 AM

Actually we have :

Will Johnson, Jamie McCoy and David Paulson. Johnson impressed Colbert and Tomlin enough at his pro day that they signed him on the spot.

I don't know anything about the other two but Johnson ran a 4.49 and benched pressed 225 - 30 times.

The Lakelander
05-01-2012, 08:49 AM
This will be an interesting camp story at FB ...

JensK
05-01-2012, 08:52 AM
I honestly don't understand the need for a FB anyway. If you have a decent blocking Tight End and a just above average o-line you don't really need one. The problems with our running game have not been because of a FB and I doubt that adding one would have solved anything. Maybe by the exception of the good laughs Frank Summers gave us in the short time he got to see the field. Laughing can cure many a thing! :P

MDSteel15
05-01-2012, 09:14 AM
David Johnson SUCKS!!! We haven't had a decent running game since we had an actual FB in the backfield... DJ is horrible! He can't block and most definately can't catch! He makes Dwight Stone look like he has great hands... :cursin:

The Lakelander
05-01-2012, 09:38 AM
I was surprised we didn't try to bring in a few more true FB's ... not sure where Haley is going with it all ... ????

strummerfan
05-01-2012, 09:50 AM
I was surprised we didn't try to bring in a few more true FB's ... not sure where Haley is going with it all ... ????

Go watch vids of the chiefs and cardinals, the offense really isn't going to look that different. There are times that he runs out of the I or an offset I, but there are an equal number of single back, empty set formations etc.

The Lakelander
05-01-2012, 09:53 AM
What about bubble screens? ... I'm jonesing for the next bubble screen ...

Real Deal Steel
05-01-2012, 12:28 PM
I honestly don't understand the need for a FB anyway. If you have a decent blocking Tight End and a just above average o-line you don't really need one. The problems with our running game have not been because of a FB and I doubt that adding one would have solved anything. Maybe by the exception of the good laughs Frank Summers gave us in the short time he got to see the field. Laughing can cure many a thing! :P

I kinda disagree. I think having a fullback would help the running and passing game. I submit the Houston Texans offense as evidence of that. Plus a good fullback is great at handling those blitzing linebackers and cornerbacks.

coldrolled
05-01-2012, 12:40 PM
So now West Virginia runs an "Arians Offense"? Also Will Johnson is the same height and weight as Aaron Hernandez(6'2" 245). WHile we're at it David Johnson is 6'2 as well.

Maybe you didnt read NON..

So, what size in your opinion is best for a FB?

i go with under 6'2": 245-255lb Of course they have to block and catch and not fumble.

strummerfan
05-01-2012, 01:19 PM
Maybe you didnt read NON..

So, what size in your opinion is best for a FB?

i go with under 6'2": 245-255lb Of course they have to block and catch and not fumble.

No, I read the "non". Will Johnson was used as a HB/TE(converted from WR) at WVU aka a "non Arians offense". You also said he was too short to be a TE and I gave you an example of a very good TE that is the same height and weight as Will Johnson.

strummerfan
05-01-2012, 01:21 PM
I kinda disagree. I think having a fullback would help the running and passing game. I submit the Houston Texans offense as evidence of that. Plus a good fullback is great at handling those blitzing linebackers and cornerbacks.

The Houston Texans also have two things that we don't an elite running back and an offensive line. Of course playing musical chaairs along the OL for the last two years doesn't have any effect on the running game.

ChucktownSteeler
05-01-2012, 01:22 PM
I would have like to seen more of the "pony" backfield to be honest (not to be confused with the wildcat). I think the combo of Mendy and Redman would have been dynamic. Almost a second coming of "Mr. Inside, Mr. Outside".

C-town

coldrolled
05-01-2012, 04:08 PM
No, I read the "non". Will Johnson was used as a HB/TE(converted from WR) at WVU aka a "non Arians offense". You also said he was too short to be a TE and I gave you an example of a very good TE that is the same height and weight as Will Johnson.

We could pick a few shorties all day, welker is a great receiver, sproles is a huge RB..

Clay i think is posted as a FB on our roster.. Will Johnson i dont know what he is marked down as on the roster.

BlacknGoldHaze
05-02-2012, 12:01 AM
What about bubble screens? ... I'm jonesing for the next bubble screen ...

:lol: :banana:

BlacknGoldHaze
05-02-2012, 12:03 AM
Call me old school, but I miss the days of Dan Kreider busting holes through the line and destroying linebackers and safeties...

igor0190
05-02-2012, 12:55 AM
Call me old school, but I miss the days of Dan Kreider busting holes through the line and destroying linebackers and safeties...

I do too... But that was then, this is now. The NFL has changed a lot, a big fullback used primarily in the running game is effectively a waste of a gameday roster spot.

Real Deal Steel
05-02-2012, 01:16 AM
The Houston Texans also have two things that we don't an elite running back and an offensive line. Of course playing musical chaairs along the OL for the last two years doesn't have any effect on the running game.

Foster is "elite" because of the line. And we have all the pieces now for a line. So again I submit the Houston Texans as a fine example of the use of a fullback. Foster is so elite that he was undrafted.

Don't get me wrong, I like Foster a lot but we all remember a short time ago when the Texans line was one of the worse in the league.

coldrolled
05-02-2012, 07:49 AM
Last two super bowl teams used the FB well those years. Kuhn and Hynoski

strummerfan
05-02-2012, 08:35 AM
Foster is "elite" because of the line. And we have all the pieces now for a line. So again I submit the Houston Texans as a fine example of the use of a fullback. Foster is so elite that he was undrafted.

Don't get me wrong, I like Foster a lot but we all remember a short time ago when the Texans line was one of the worse in the league

And draft status means what? Oh that's right, not a damn thing. (ryan leaf, kijanna carter, akili smith... Willie Parker, Redman,Foster, Kiesel...). YOu might want to wait until at least the first preseason game before you go anointing these guys as saviors. This notion that you have to have a fullback as opposed to an hb/te in order to have an effective running game is ridiculous. IF you look at the numbers the extra .1 yard per carry hardly justifies carrying a player that basically only does one thing, particuarly when we have a very good set of WR, TE, and QB. In fact the numbers indicate that a fullback isn't actually a necessity. Without a fullback and an oline that was a patch work mess at best and our numbers are very similar to the Texans.
g Attempts per game yards yards per carry
Houston 16 546 34.1 2,448 4.5
Steelers 16 434 27.1 1,903 4.4

Back to the point of the thread. THe draft is over, the majority of free agent signings is through and they haven't signed a fullback. However, they did sign two hb/te hybrids which indicates that a fullback isn't seen as a priority by the coaching staff.

strummerfan
05-02-2012, 07:10 PM
Last two super bowl teams used the FB well those years. Kuhn and Hynoski

and neither of them broke 100 yards rushing(GB had all of 50), but the Steelers without a Fullback rushed for 125-130.

Number99
05-02-2012, 07:20 PM
Foster isn't just good because Houston uses a fullback. He has good stats because 1. he's a good football player. 2. the Texans OL is one of the best in the NFL. And 3. because a FB helps.

Kuhn is a good football player but is he one of the top 100 players in the NFL? Not hardly. That was a joke just like Tebow in the top 100.

MDSteel15
05-03-2012, 07:50 AM

Don't get me wrong, I like Foster a lot but we all remember a short time ago when the Texans line was one of the worse in the league.

Ding Ding Ding ding Ding!!! Winner Winner chicken dinner..... Wake up people! No blocking means no running game! Even the best in the game need help... except Barry Sanders! :bunny:

coldrolled
05-03-2012, 09:12 AM
and neither of them broke 100 yards rushing(GB had all of 50), but the Steelers without a Fullback rushed for 125-130.

Redzone TD's? Yards who cares ben has 4000 a year.

strummerfan
05-03-2012, 06:59 PM
Redzone TD's? Yards who cares ben has 4000 a year.

ONE!

Where the Pats defense parted like the Red Sea and let him walk in with a minute to play.

ChucktownSteeler
05-04-2012, 08:00 AM
Didn't we sign a TE/ fullback before the draft out of WV? I was thinking about that and below is all I could find on the net:

Johnson, a 6-2, 240 pound tight end for the Mountaineers from 2007-2010, worked out as a tight end and running back on Monday. He was unofficially clocked at 4.49 seconds in the 40-yard dash and led all athletes tested with 30 repetitions of 225 pounds.

The Steelers' contingent thought enough of Johnson's workout to speak to him immediately after the Pro Day ended.

"When I got done running my routes, I was over there talking to [Tomlin] and he wanted me to keep it a secret so the other teams didn't know," Johnson said. "They said they liked what I did, they liked how I look and they wanted to bring me up and sign me."

Real Deal Steel
05-04-2012, 10:10 AM
And draft status means what? Oh that's right, not a damn thing. (ryan leaf, kijanna carter, akili smith... Willie Parker, Redman,Foster, Kiesel...). YOu might want to wait until at least the first preseason game before you go anointing these guys as saviors. This notion that you have to have a fullback as opposed to an hb/te in order to have an effective running game is ridiculous. IF you look at the numbers the extra .1 yard per carry hardly justifies carrying a player that basically only does one thing, particuarly when we have a very good set of WR, TE, and QB. In fact the numbers indicate that a fullback isn't actually a necessity. Without a fullback and an oline that was a patch work mess at best and our numbers are very similar to the Texans.
g Attempts per game yards yards per carry
Houston 16 546 34.1 2,448 4.5
Steelers 16 434 27.1 1,903 4.4

Back to the point of the thread. THe draft is over, the majority of free agent signings is through and they haven't signed a fullback. However, they did sign two hb/te hybrids which indicates that a fullback isn't seen as a priority by the coaching staff.

And that's what your underestimating. That extra " one yard" a lot of the times is the difference from punting or continuing the drive! And that IS worth a roster spot on this team. Continuing a drive, keeping the ball away from the other team and getting that extra 3 points is huge in a game of inches like football over the course of a season.

strummerfan
05-04-2012, 04:28 PM
And that's what your underestimating. That extra " one yard" a lot of the times is the difference from punting or continuing the drive! And that IS worth a roster spot on this team. Continuing a drive, keeping the ball away from the other team and getting that extra 3 points is huge in a game of inches like football over the course of a season.

Dude it's POINT 1 yard as in 1/10th of a yard.