PDA

View Full Version : Steelers 7th Round Compensatory Picks - 2012 - Tight End, Cornerback, Tackle

BlitzburghRockCity
04-28-2012, 06:50 PM
The Steelers had 3 compensatory picks in the 7th round.

240th overall. 6'3" 245 lbs. The first was used on David Pulson, TE, out of Oregon. He came to Pittsburgh on a pre draft visit. This will be a tough position to break into with Heath Miller and Leonard Pope on the roster; along with Weslye Saunders and David Johnson but he'll get his chance to compete.

Paulson has been a reliable pass-catching tight end for Oregon. He struggles to get open, but he makes plays when the ball is thrown. He has been a consistent and durable starter who has always been capable of keeping the chains moving within the offense. He can make the spectacular catch and has sixth-round talent.

NFL.com (http://www.nfl.com/draft/2012/profiles/david-paulson?id=2532924)

Strengths

Paulson is athletic, although he doesn't look the part. He is quick to get into his route and understands to how to play to his strengths. He knows how to lean on linebackers or throw a last-second jab at them to get space. He is decent as a blocker to wall off his defender, something he was asked to do a lot in Oregon's offense.

Weaknesses

Paulson will find it difficult to get open at the next level going up against more athletic linebackers. He is a slow mover who struggles to change direction quickly, which could be dangerous as it will allow linebackers and safeties to recover or undercut his routes.

Terrence Frederick, CB, Texas A&M

5'10" 187 lbs. Value here in a position the Steelers addressed heavily last year with Cortez Allen and Curtis Brown. Keenan Lewis is also in the mix to start opposite Ike Taylor.

Frederick won't do well in man to man but in zone coverage, with help he can be an effective player if he can make the squad and develop.

NFL.com (http://www.nfl.com/draft/2012/profiles/terrence-frederick?id=2532996)

Frederick is an undersized corner who started for Texas A&M and played a variety of roles throughout his career. He is slow-footed, which can be his defining attribute as he struggles off the line playing close in man coverage; he is much more of a zone player. He often has played in the slot in nickel packages in his career, which will help him early on in his transition to the NFL. He gets the most out of his athletic ability by being a smart player who takes good angles on the ball.

Strengths

Frederick is a very good zone defender who understands angles. He knows how to diagnose plays and watches his man's hips and then turns his eyes to the quarterback to make breaks when playing zone. This can get him in trouble at times, but he wins more often than not when reacting to the quarterback and breaking on the ball. Frederick is a solid, good-base athlete who plays that way on the edge when supporting the run. Although he is slightly undersized, he likes to throw his body around and won't just stick on blocks, which is the knock on some undersized corners.

Weaknesses

Frederick is not a man-cover corner and would struggle early if put in that situation in the NFL. He is slow-footed and can get blown by off the snap when in man coverage. He is a bit undersized and struggles on the line against bigger receivers. He is inconsistent and almost bashful when playing man coverage. He appears unsure of his speed when running with a receiver down field.

Kelvin Beachum, T, SMU

6'2" 303 lbs. Has good size and decent feet to pull when needed or get out in front on screen plays. You can never argue with depth on the offensive line, and he'll fight it out with J. Scott for a backup Tackle position.

NFL.com (http://www.nfl.com/draft/2012/profiles/kelvin-beachum?id=2533442)

Beachum was a redshirt freshman but started every game throughout the rest of his time at SMU. He is undersized compared to most professional offensive tackles, but improved steadily in college, displaying the kind of athletic ability, body control and footwork that will make him a late-round draft pick. Beachum has significant strength deficiencies; his ability to physically develop as a rookie will likely determine whether he'll have a future in the NFL.

Strengths

Beachum is very quick off the ball and plays with an obvious sense of urgency. He has a good first step that allows him to get out in front and gain position. When working upfield, he has very impressive short-area quickness and footwork. He is able to adjust against moving linebackers, and he did well in the limited time he spent working in space. Beachum shows smooth, controlled lateral agility when engaging his pass set.

Weaknesses

Beachum is a soft prospect. He comes off the ball and moves quickly, but he is not explosive and has a hard time generating push on his man off the snap. He struggles in the run-blocking game, which doesn't bode well for his development and projected move inside to guard. SMU's style didn't offer many chances to show that he can perform in a classic run-blocking scheme, and NFL teams will have to guess whether he can successfully make that positional shift. Beachum is a mirror and patty-cake blocker who was effective and productive at SMU; whether his skills transfer to the NFL is another question.

Real Deal Steel
04-28-2012, 06:53 PM
Well, this might be our first camp cut. This is a head scratcher. According to his bio he "may struggles to get open" and is a "slow mover".

JensK
04-28-2012, 06:54 PM
I see him being on the roster until Saunders is back and then he'll probably find himself on the practice squad. I like the pick alright though. We needed another TE to compete and at this point you gamble on most players anyway.

gtadroptop
04-28-2012, 06:54 PM
Special Teams body or a sign the tight end will be more prominant with the new offense?

The Lakelander
04-28-2012, 06:56 PM
:lol: ... 14 martinis at draft HQ will do that to you ... Colbert is still stroking it over DeCastro

TarlsQtr
04-28-2012, 06:57 PM
Well, this might be our first camp cut. This is a head scratcher. According to his bio he "may struggles to get open" and is a "slow mover".

I guess it depends on what thy do with Saunders. Johnson is no TE, so a third TE needs to be brought into camp. I agree though, a likely cut.

Real Deal Steel
04-28-2012, 06:58 PM
I'd like to see them take a safety now. We need to look at that position.

Black@Gold Forever32
04-28-2012, 06:58 PM
Its a 7th rounder.......low risk.........really won't what we have with until camp.....

Njsteelersnut
04-28-2012, 06:59 PM
Sounds like it will tough for him to earn a roster spot.....i dont understand this pick either Real Deal Steel

gtadroptop
04-28-2012, 06:59 PM
Steelers brain trust has done great so far. We'll see.

The Lakelander
04-28-2012, 07:00 PM
I guess it depends on what thy do with Saunders. Johnson is no TE, so a third TE needs to be brought into camp. I agree though, a likely cut.

Miller ... Pope ... Johnson ... Saunders ... we're deep at TE

TarlsQtr
04-28-2012, 07:05 PM
Miller ... Pope ... Johnson ... Saunders ... we're deep at TE

I disagree to the extent that Johnson is no TE but is an H back. I am not sure that the team is that sold on Saunders. No production last year and now a suspension (and already had character issues). I agree that if they plan on keeping Saunders for the long haul, this pick does not make much sense except to motivate Saunders. If not, this kid is a decent blocker and could develop into a workable 3rd TE.

TarlsQtr
04-28-2012, 07:10 PM
I think James Brown still out there. Let's get another Guard!

cuatro_tres43
04-28-2012, 07:13 PM
it did say he was a good blocker. running formation TE to seal off edges. nothing wrong witha blocking TE to help out this run game

connecticutsteel
04-28-2012, 07:15 PM
Chase Minnifield goes undrafted ? i thought for sure we would take Miles Wade

connecticutsteel
04-28-2012, 07:16 PM
I disagree to the extent that Johnson is no TE but is an H back. I am not sure that the team is that sold on Saunders. No production last year and now a suspension (and already had character issues). I agree that if they plan on keeping Saunders for the long haul, this pick does not make much sense except to motivate Saunders. If not, this kid is a decent blocker and could develop into a workable 3rd TE.

He had no production cause he never played

JensK
04-28-2012, 07:17 PM
Chase Minnifield goes undrafted ? i thought for sure we would take Miles Wade

I'm extremely surprised by this as well. It reminds me of when Donovan Warren went undrafted as well.

TarlsQtr
04-28-2012, 07:23 PM
He had no production cause he never played

And there is a reason that David Johnson, yes, David Johnson had three times as many catches as Saunders. The coaches felt that he was a better option than Saunders. There is a reason that Saunders "never played."

Real Deal Steel
04-28-2012, 07:23 PM
Wow. Even Chris Polk, runningback from Washington went undrafted. Along with Kellen Moore, QB from Boise St.

JensK
04-28-2012, 07:26 PM
And there is a reason that David Johnson, yes, David Johnson had three times as many catches as Saunders. The coaches felt that he was a better option than Saunders. There is a reason that Saunders "never played."

Bear in mind though that Davis knew the offense. Saunders was a rookie without any OTAs. Its very rare you see players with that kind of preparation start. Furthermore, Ariens loves those blocking TEs which is pretty much the only thing Johnson is decent at. Saunders, on the other hand, can actually catch the ball and make plays down the field. Or at least he has the potential to do so.

TarlsQtr
04-28-2012, 07:26 PM
Polk, Minnifield, and Brown not being drafted are the shockers to me. If the rumors about Polk's back are true, that explains one of them...

JollyRob68
04-28-2012, 07:32 PM
Kelvin Beachum over Lucas Nix from PITT. WOW unless they know they got him as a UDFA

TarlsQtr
04-28-2012, 07:34 PM
Bear in mind though that Davis knew the offense. Saunders was a rookie without any OTAs. Its very rare you see players with that kind of preparation start. Furthermore, Ariens loves those blocking TEs which is pretty much the only thing Johnson is decent at. Saunders, on the other hand, can actually catch the ball and make plays down the field. Or at least he has the potential to do so.

Heath Miller started 15 games in his rookie season, had about 40 catches, and I believe missed the OTAs because of a sports hernia. If Saunders was that big of a threat and could block even a little, he would have been on the field.

That said, I do believe he is better than this kid (at least has a higher upside). I just do not believe they were wasting a pick and must feel that Paulson was brought in as an option to compete with Saunders. IMO, it MUST say something about what they think of Saunders.

Nolrog
04-28-2012, 07:37 PM
Keep in mind that these guys are 7th rounders. Unlikely they'll make the team.

Would have loved James Brown. Could have a lot of fun with that name.

Would have liked to see a PK drafted. But all in all, I'm completely thrilled. Filled our massive holes, maybe even turned the OL into a strength. I wonder if that LB drafted at #3 will be groomed at safety. He sounds like one.

Looking forward to next year's draft, we need to get younger on D and build depth. S and OLB are the likely focus along with WR.

JensK
04-28-2012, 07:39 PM
Heath Miller started 15 games in his rookie season, had about 40 catches, and I believe missed the OTAs because of a sports hernia. If Saunders was that big of a threat and could block even a little, he would have been on the field.

That said, I do believe he is better than this kid (at least has a higher upside). I just do not believe they were wasting a pick and must feel that Paulson was brought in as an option to compete with Saunders. IMO, it MUST say something about what they think of Saunders.

Well, as you conclude yourself, the comparison between Miller and Saunders are not exactly very fair. First of all, there is a major difference between the two coming out. Saunders is so raw and needs a bunch of coaching. Miller was very pro-ready coming out. Furthermore, Miller did not have to beat a pro-bowl caliber player when he were to start like Saunders (yes I believe Miller could be a subject for the probowl).

That said, as you also point out, you always bring competition in. They could not really use Saunders much last year and thusly don't know what kind of pro player he is yet. I actually think that this pick means they like Saunders alright but they are still unsure what to expect. They bring in another low-risk player to push him a little in TC. IF they thought Saunders was a terrible player I do believe they would have taken a TE earlier.

This is obviously just me guessing though.

connecticutsteel
04-28-2012, 07:39 PM
JoHNSON isn't half the player saunders is saunders has achance to be a pro bowl TE

Minnefield's surgery isn't that big of a deal IMO there are only maybe 10 CB'S BETTER THAN cHASE mINNEFIELD

Number99
04-28-2012, 07:53 PM
All and all this draft looks great. Next step is to watch these kids develop into the players we all hope they can be.

Real Deal Steel
04-28-2012, 08:33 PM
Keep in mind that these guys are 7th rounders. Unlikely they'll make the team.

Would have loved James Brown. Could have a lot of fun with that name.

Would have liked to see a PK drafted. But all in all, I'm completely thrilled. Filled our massive holes, maybe even turned the OL into a strength. I wonder if that LB drafted at #3 will be groomed at safety. He sounds like one.

Looking forward to next year's draft, we need to get younger on D and build depth. S and OLB are the likely focus along with WR.

I give us a letter grade of B+

We really helped ourselves and there is no doubt we are a better ballclub then what we were 72 hours ago. I'm interested to see if we sign a safety from the undrafted pool.

BlacknGoldHaze
04-28-2012, 08:48 PM
Yep...the fun continues when we sign some undrafted free agents...safety, kicker, maybe another QB?

BlacknGoldHaze
04-28-2012, 08:50 PM
:lol: ... 14 martinis at draft HQ will do that to you ... Colbert is still stroking it over DeCastro

Indeed....it was a good weekend for Mr. Colbert and company!:cope:

Real Deal Steel
04-28-2012, 08:52 PM
Colbert did an outstanding job. Shows why he's paid the big bucks.

BlacknGoldHaze
04-28-2012, 08:54 PM
Colbert did an outstanding job. Shows why he's paid the big bucks.

You betcha! Glad he's drafting for us!

BlitzburghRockCity
04-30-2012, 09:32 AM
Nix was signed to the Raiders, I admit I was wondering if they were going to take him in the 7th round or with one of their comp picks. Beachum, at least for now, seems to be more of a J. Scott type of player. Big and strong but doesn't play with power and authority.

coldrolled
05-15-2012, 10:38 AM
Kelvin Beachum over Lucas Nix from PITT. WOW unless they know they got him as a UDFA

Rookie seventh-round pick Kelvin Beachum received his Master’s degree from SMU and delivered the commencement address for his class at SMU’s Simmons School of Education & Human Development on Saturday. The offensive lineman earned his Masters in Liberal Studies with a concentration on organizational behavior in only 16 months. “I don’t know the statistics on how many people go into the NFL with their Masters, but to be able to succeed on the football field and in the classroom go hand in hand for me,” Beachum told the team's official website. “You have to work hard on the football field and in the classroom just to be able to stay on the field