PDA

View Full Version : Steelers 3rd Round Pick - 2012 - Sean Spence - LB - Miami

BlitzburghRockCity
04-27-2012, 10:35 PM
Steelers go defense in the 3rd round with LB Sean Spence, Miami. He'll play inside for the Steelers and will provide additional depth behind Lawrence Timmons primarily. He does have 39 games of starting experience at weak OLB though so he's versatile, but the majority of his experience is obviously on the outside. He's a smaller player but super quick and great in pass coverage which is key with all the tight ends in routes these days.

According to Steelers linebackers coach Keith Butler, Spence is a mack LB and will play special teams and provide depth behind Lawrence Timmons. He also told him at their meeting at the NFL combine that that no rookies comes in for the Steelers and starts at LB. Also according to Colbert: Larry Foote ready to take over for James Farrrior at buck LB and Stevenson Sylvester to back him up. (courtesy of Scott Brown from the Pittsburgh Trib).

Spence will make the final roster but he's going to have to prove himself on special teams and in the limited action he could see during the regular season. If injuries strike this unit he could be called upon quicker than Keith Butler and Dick Lebeau would like so he'll need to be ready.
His Twitter @3Spence1 (https://twitter.com/#!/3Spence1)

5' 11" 231 lbs.

Bio from NFL.com (http://www.nfl.com/draft/2012/profiles/sean-spence?id=2532952)

Spence has been a bright spot and a standout player on a rather uninspired Miami defense. He was a four-year starter at Miami, and although undersized he makes up for this deficiency through speed, instincts and overall athletic ability. He is a great defender on outside runs, as he can effortlessly run down his fastest opponents. He is stellar in coverage, and he can blanket tight ends and tackle from various angles. He makes quick decisions and executes on them. While size will be a concern as he enters the NFL, Spence will be defined by his ability to play free and get off blocks to make plays on the ball. While he was suspended in the fallout from the Nevin Shapiro booster scandal at Miami, there is little doubt of his true character and, likewise, his overall athleticism and ability. Look for him to be taken in the middle rounds, but he could be a late riser.

Strengths

Spence's athleticism shows in all that he does. He can quickly diagnose a play and use his explosive hips to meet running backs and deliver the blow. He has fluid hips in coverage and uses his arm strength to shed blockers when he gets engulfed by bigger players. He is an experienced starter at a high level, and this should allow him to play fast and instinctively from the start at the next level. He has natural athletic ability to fit in a 4-3 scheme, in which he can play freely and flow to the ball. He is an active player and almost always involved on run plays.
Weaknesses

Spence is undersized and needs to play free of big blockers on him to be productive. He can flow to plays but "rides the pole" and falls off tackles at times. The scheme he plays in is key to his production.

steelchamp204
04-27-2012, 10:37 PM
Looks like a CB

Nolrog
04-27-2012, 10:37 PM
Hrm. Where's the nose tackle?

Have they given up on Worilds as well? Odd pick.

LatrobePA
04-27-2012, 10:40 PM
Size of a safety.

Dean Denton
04-27-2012, 10:40 PM
Not sure I'm feelin this pick. Seems like a SS to me. Should be hell on special teams though...

JollyRob68
04-27-2012, 10:41 PM
Hrm. Where's the nose tackle?

Have they given up on Worilds as well? Odd pick.

Not an odd pick because we have no depth but Worilds and Worilds might get a shot at ILB. I was hoping for Bobby Massie who was still on the board or Ta Amu or Chapman. We should be able to get Chapman in the 4th.

BlacknGoldHaze
04-27-2012, 10:43 PM
Not sure I'm feelin this pick. Seems like a SS to me. Should be hell on special teams though...

That's what I was thinking....strange pick...

JollyRob68
We need to groom one those as well.

cmerrifield
Spence will move inside and back up Timmons with Sly backing up Foote.

sent from my Evo using Tapatalk

connecticutsteel
04-27-2012, 10:44 PM
I like the idea let's hope he's super tough

steelchamp204
04-27-2012, 10:46 PM
We need to draft DL and some safety help, we are alright with LB's. No feeling this pick at all.

BlitzburghRockCity
04-27-2012, 10:47 PM
According to Steelers linebackers coach Keith Butler, Spence is a mack LB and will play special teams and provide depth behind Lawrence Timmons.

Number99
I like the pick. Watch the tape on this kid. Good tackler.

And watching Butler talk, if you closed your eyes you might think it was Jeff Foxworthy.

SteelerRush
I was hoping for Ta'ammu or Chapman but I can see the reasoning with this pick. With all the Tight ends and short yardage passing attacks teams play against us we can pull foote and use this kid with his speed and instincts. We'll have to see how Lebeau uses him. Special teams for starters.

BlitzburghRockCity
04-27-2012, 10:56 PM
Scott Brown ‏ @ScottBrown_Trib (https://twitter.com/#!/ScottBrown_Trib)
Butler said he needs to see more from Sylvester before deciding whether he can be a long-term starter.

Butler said Larry Foote ready to take over for James Farrior at buck LB and Stevenson Sylvester to back him up.

Butler told Spence at Combine that no rookies comes in for the Steelers and starts at LB.

steelchamp204
04-27-2012, 10:59 PM
Scott Brown ‏ @ScottBrown_Trib (https://twitter.com/#!/ScottBrown_Trib)
Butler said he needs to see more from Sylvester before deciding whether he can be a long-term starter.

Butler said Larry Foote ready to take over for James Farrior at buck LB and Stevenson Sylvester to back him up.

Butler told Spence at Combine that no rookies comes in for the Steelers and starts at LB.

Yea, we will see him for about 3 years on ST before he starts at the LB position. Then find out he wont pan out and be behind on drafting Lb's for the future. I dont mind him not being the fulltime starter. How many times have we seen the Steelers be up big on a team in the mid fourth quarter begging to see our young lb's in the game and it never happens.

LatrobePA
04-27-2012, 11:00 PM
Stupid pick IMO! Chapman was there!

steelchamp204
04-27-2012, 11:05 PM

+1. We will have no push on the opposing qb again this year, mark it.

LevonKirkland99
04-27-2012, 11:06 PM
So basically he's gonna be a Special team guy for a few years? Why don't we start rookies in LB position? I gue too complex of a defense...learning curve?

steelchamp204
04-27-2012, 11:20 PM
So basically he's gonna be a Special team guy for a few years? Why don't we start rookies in LB position? I gue too complex of a defense...learning curve?

Thats what I stated earlier in a post. We spent a 3rd rnd draft pick on a ST player. We could have atleast gotten Chapman for NT position. Our front is getting to old and what better NT to learn from than Casey Hampton?

mos07
04-27-2012, 11:23 PM
My numbers were off the charts with last night's pick......I flatlined tonight.

cbrunn
04-27-2012, 11:25 PM
watched tape and just not liking this pick ... i would rather have Ronell Lewis or Nigel Bradham ... if they wanted to go LB

BlacknGoldHaze
04-27-2012, 11:26 PM
According to Steelers linebackers coach Keith Butler, Spence is a mack LB and will play special teams and provide depth behind Lawrence Timmons.

Not sure we needed to pick up a mack LB and ST player in the third round.....hate to sound bitchy since rounds one and two were awesome, but better options were available......

steelchamp204
04-27-2012, 11:29 PM
The guy seriously looks like a CB or a safety. really cant get over that. I havent see a LB that small before lol

Real Deal Steel
04-27-2012, 11:30 PM
Steelers are saying he will be an OLB. Foote will slide over and take over the MLB position with Sylvester backing him up. This guy is too little to be a MLB. I'm not liking this pick very much.

cbrunn
04-27-2012, 11:32 PM
typical Steelers ... get a OLB in the 3rd ... just don't understand it ... he's not in any way shape or form what we need ...

but it's over and done with maybe he'll pan out ...

please though let them take Marcus Dowtin ...only LB i really want in this draft

BlacknGoldHaze
04-27-2012, 11:33 PM
Steelers are saying he will be an OLB. Foote will slide over and take over the MLB position with Sylvester backing him up. This guy is too little to be a MLB. I'm not liking this pick very much.

Third round for a special teamer seems a bit of a reach.....

Real Deal Steel
04-27-2012, 11:37 PM
Seems to me that they got this guy because of his speed. In other words, they are trying to have a type of linebacker that can run with Gronkowski and the other TE of the Patriots. This is a Patriots pick. I see the logic but I don't agree with it. Not when there are real linebackers still available;not to mention our need at nose tackle.

Phenomenal TJ
04-27-2012, 11:37 PM
I'm torn here. I've watched Spence for years at Miami, and I really like him, but I'm trying to figure out where he fits into the defense, special teams is a no brainer, he's going to knock some returners out. I guess he fits the Sly mold a bit, in that he could play inside and outside.

LatrobePA
04-27-2012, 11:38 PM
Man I hate this pick!!

Phenomenal TJ
04-27-2012, 11:38 PM
Seems to me that they got this guy because of his speed. In other words, they are trying to have a type of linebacker that can run with Gronkowski and the other TE of the Patriots. This is a Patriots pick. I see the logic but I don't agree with it. Not when there are real linebackers still available;not to mention our need at nose tackle.

Not to mention the Ravens tight ends, Bengals, etc. Pretty good tight ends in the North, much less branching out to include Gronkowski and Hernandez.

BlitzburghRockCity
04-27-2012, 11:39 PM
Colbert said he's going to play inside and back up Lawrence Timmons. They'll leave Worilds on the outside. Those talks about him moving inside just aren't going to happen anytime soon, if ever. A certain blogger with a god complex tried to keep that rumor going.

Let's just hope Spence doesn't turn into another Bruce Davis from a few years ago.

Phenomenal TJ
04-27-2012, 11:43 PM
Colbert said he's going to play inside and back up Lawrence Timmons. They'll leave Worilds on the outside. Those talks about him moving inside just aren't going to happen anytime soon, if ever. A certain blogger with a god complex tried to keep that rumor going.

Let's just hope Spence doesn't turn into another Bruce Davis from a few years ago.

Bruce Davis is a first ballot Hall Of Famer though. :2guns:

davidcreighton70
04-28-2012, 12:39 AM
I liked Chapman here but I really can't fault this pick. He has a great motor & tackle. Obviously not a running down LB but more like a large SS that can help in covering the Gronks

igor0190
04-28-2012, 12:48 AM
I liked Chapman here but I really can't fault this pick. He has a great motor & tackle. Obviously not a running down LB but more like a large SS that can help in covering the Gronks

I never though of that... Is Sean Spence a proven cover LB? Could he be used to man up on TE's? I really doubt it actually, especially at 6'0" tall.

Looks like a special teamer for awhile at least.

steelchamp204
04-28-2012, 01:02 AM

Didnt we also say that Worlids and Sly had a fast motor and tackled well also. I think his size will hurt him, but Beason made it to the probowl as a rookie Lb for the panthers. If he can do it, anyone can. I just think Chapman would have helped more maybe not this season but next year.

JollyRob68
04-28-2012, 02:34 AM
Thats what I stated earlier in a post. We spent a 3rd rnd draft pick on a ST player. We could have atleast gotten Chapman for NT position. Our front is getting to old and what better NT to learn from than Casey Hampton?

With Spence who better to learn behind Timmons & Foote. I want Chapman but with his acl injury the 4th would be a better place for him Risk vs reward.

JollyRob68
04-28-2012, 02:36 AM
I never though of that... Is Sean Spence a proven cover LB? Could he be used to man up on TE's? I really doubt it actually, especially at 6'0" tall.

He has the speed and can tackle. So Yes he can.

Deviouz1
04-28-2012, 03:04 AM

Overview

Spence has been a bright spot and a standout player on a rather uninspired Miami defense. He was a four-year starter at Miami, and although undersized he makes up for this deficiency through speed, instincts and overall athletic ability. He is a great defender on outside runs, as he can effortlessly run down his fastest opponents. He is stellar in coverage, and he can blanket tight ends and tackle from various angles. He makes quick decisions and executes on them. While size will be a concern as he enters the NFL, Spence will be defined by his ability to play free and get off blocks to make plays on the ball. While he was suspended in the fallout from the Nevin Shapiro booster scandal at Miami, there is little doubt of his true character and, likewise, his overall athleticism and ability. Look for him to be taken in the middle rounds, but he could be a late riser.

Analysis

Strengths
Spence's athleticism shows in all that he does. He can quickly diagnose a play and use his explosive hips to meet running backs and deliver the blow. He has fluid hips in coverage and uses his arm strength to shed blockers when he gets engulfed by bigger players. He is an experienced starter at a high level, and this should allow him to play fast and instinctively from the start at the next level. He has natural athletic ability to fit in a 4-3 scheme, in which he can play freely and flow to the ball. He is an active player and almost always involved on run plays.
Weaknesses
Spence is undersized and needs to play free of big blockers on him to be productive. He can flow to plays but "rides the pole" and falls off tackles at times. The scheme he plays in is key to his production.

turn him into a jack ham sort of LB. really theyre not that different in size. ham was 6'1" 220-ish, this kid is 5'11" 231, little bit shorter but a little bit heavier and more athletic than ham was. im actually really liking this pick. he can hit, he's fairly fast, he can catch, he's smart, and has good instincts. with the league moving into the age of nerfball, this kind of pick makes total sense to me.

JensK
04-28-2012, 04:22 AM
While he does not seem like a typical Steelers LB, he does have great value around that pick in my opinion. He is a pretty good football player. Besides, both Chapman and Ta'mau are still on the board. Hopefully one of them will fall.

Nolrog
04-28-2012, 04:59 AM
Not an odd pick because we have no depth but Worilds and Worilds might get a shot at ILB.

We still have Harrison and Worlids. At nose there's just Mclendon. Nose is a much bigger need. Very odd pick.

Edit to add: Been doing some reading on this kid. He's not big but supposed to be pretty fast. He's got a nose for the ball and always seems to be where the action is. He's supposed to be a hard worker, studies game tape and seems to be very smart.

The more I read about this, the more I'm OK with this pick. We still need a nose, and if we can get Ta'amu in the 4th, I'll be very happy.

strummerfan
04-28-2012, 07:30 AM
I wonder if they're thinking about moving him to SS. He's a little light for LB, but fast and smart.

BlitzburghRockCity
04-28-2012, 07:45 AM
Colbert said that Worilds is needed more outside, there is next to no one other than him backing up Harrison and Woodley with any experience (Carter barely played). They are set on the inside now, between the starters along with Sylvester and now Spence.

jpele
04-28-2012, 08:39 AM
I was hoping for Ta'ammu or Chapman but I can see the reasoning with this pick. With all the Tight ends and short yardage passing attacks teams play against us we can pull foote and use this kid with his speed and instincts. We'll have to see how Lebeau uses him. Special teams for starters.

Chapman will be there for us on Saturday.

The Lakelander
04-28-2012, 08:47 AM
I wonder if they're thinking about moving him to SS. He's a little light for LB, but fast and smart.

We've had light LB's before ... just this ... speed kills ... in the NFL, nothing is a bigger weapon than speed ... if this Spence kid brings speed and instincts, then he will be solid ...

Think Troy ... think anticipatory edge rushes behind the play to trip up runners before they hit the hole ... Troy makes those kinds of plays all the time! ... If we have another player capable of those plays on the same field as Troy, we'll blow up more and more would-be contructive plays from opposing offenses ...

I'm hoping Spence is another Troy-like menace ...

Zachintosh66
04-28-2012, 08:48 AM
Spence will be the backup mack to Timmons. Sly Sylvester, according to Butler, is the future buck. - jim wexell

Njsteelersnut
04-28-2012, 08:53 AM
Dont really follow the college game too much, I like our first two picks our line should be rock solid now, just hope Spence wasnt a reach for our third pick. Would much rather have seen a defensive tackle taken.....hopefully we get a quality DT today.

The Lakelander
04-28-2012, 09:34 AM
Dont really follow the college game too much, I like our first two picks our line should be rock solid now, just hope Spence wasnt a reach for our third pick. Would much rather have seen a defensive tackle taken.....hopefully we get a quality DT today.

Nut, I don't go back to the old site any more ... but my first mock there was about taking our NT later ... Rounds 4 through 6 is what I targeted ...

We had a very good debate there about the place to take the NT ... and my argument was that we should address the O-line first and then take our NT later ...

So far there are still plenty of NT's left on these boards ...

Damon Harrison from William Penn would set my weinie rocketing in the 5th or 6th round ...

ChucktownSteeler
04-28-2012, 09:39 AM
This is a head scratcher to say the least. But time will tell. STer at first, but how knows, another Troy-like tweaner? Good football instints.

C-town

coldrolled
04-28-2012, 09:41 AM
+1. We will have no push on the opposing qb again this year, mark it.

We need Al Woods to show up at NT. We need Sly to try the ILB position in realo time, We need Burfict in the 5th

Njsteelersnut
04-28-2012, 09:42 AM
Lake Im overjoyed they went Oline with the first two picks...its was our biggest need in my opinion.....and hopefully we get that DT in round 4 today......i trust your knowledge

86WARD
04-28-2012, 09:49 AM
I'm still holding out hope that Ta'amu falls or they make a move to get him...that's what I really wanted in this spot...

strummerfan
04-28-2012, 09:50 AM
I'm hoping Spence is another Troy-like menace ...

That would be further proof that God loves the Steelers

coldrolled
04-28-2012, 09:59 AM
Spenc .... We area 3-4 and the opposing TE's are getting more involved so someone has to cover them right? maybe the steelers are adjusting the speed of the MLB's to cover these pass catching RB's and TE's with a smaller and quicker MLB set. Farrior couldnt catch anyone the last 2 years but that was ok? Maybe some better MLB blitzes are on order now?

LatrobePA
04-28-2012, 09:59 AM
From what I'm reading this is a coverage guy and can play the outside run very well, kinda sounds like a pretty good pick now. We'll see I guess!

The Lakelander
04-28-2012, 10:00 AM
I'm still holding out hope that Ta'amu falls or they make a move to get him...that's what I really wanted in this spot...

I'm not in Ta'amu's pray group ... I watched some film on him and he is a fat-tard ... gets turned by strong Centers ... and otherwise can be blown out of the middle ...

I want a NT that is built like a bull ... not anchored by belly weight!

I think the best NT's in this draft are going to come out of Round 5 or 6 ... or not get drafted at all ... UFA's!

Number99
04-28-2012, 10:08 AM
Here is the thing about NT in this draft. Other then Poe which could have been the guy to replace Hampton there really is no other guyin this draft that could be a 10yr starter IMO. The top end of this class was strong for DT not NT. The back end of this class are depth guys with a chance at being a serviceable back up. I'm sure you'll see a NT/DT taken at sometime today but don't count on him to be a world beater. All the pick will be is for depth.

Zachintosh66
04-28-2012, 10:17 AM
We need Burfict in the 5th

I just threw up in my mouth... no way id touch him

coldrolled
04-28-2012, 10:20 AM
Here is the thing about NT in this draft. Other then Poe which could have been the guy to replace Hampton there really is no other guyin this draft that could be a 10yr starter IMO. The top end of this class was strong for DT not NT. The back end of this class are depth guys with a chance at being a serviceable back up. I'm sure you'll see a NT/DT taken at sometime today but don't count on him to be a world beater. All the pick will be is for depth.

We have Woods as backup NT he is huge.

Draft wise we need to gamble now.. Dennard, Burfict.. crap we already had a great draft. the rest of the picks are a bonus.

Ben and Haley are having a party. Andrew Luck is calling orthopedic offices to make sure he has the best DR. in Indy.

This is going to be a great season.!!

Oh.. I forgot the Browns have Weeden we are doomed.

The Lakelander
04-28-2012, 10:20 AM
I'm still not sold on Poe ... time will tell ... I'm just as happy with Nick Jean-Baptiste or Damon Harrison or Brandon Bullock ...

SuperSteelers
04-28-2012, 10:51 AM

+2 I would have went with Chaps

mos07
04-28-2012, 11:30 AM
After reading through all these posts, I am starting to come around on this pick.......it is making more and more sense. Let's finish it off right today!

BlitzburghRockCity
04-28-2012, 11:39 AM
Conference call transcript for Spence

SEAN SPENCE
Linebacker
3rd Round – 86th Overall
Re: Coming to a team with a pretty good tradition at linebacker:
It’s great to come to an organization that always competes for a championship. Having a chance to play here is just a tremendous feeling.

You were a team captain; do you consider yourself a leader?
I do. I am a guy that is going to work hard, come in and get my one-eleven and give it all for my team. I am a team player. I am going to try to contribute any way I can.

Re: Only doing 12 reps at the combine:
I had a banged up shoulder, coming from the Senior Bowl. I had a deep bruise. I wanted to compete and show scouts I wasn’t scared. Unfortunately, I only pushed out 12 but I can do more.

Does being a lighter inside linebacker hurt your perception around the league?
I am not sure. My perception doesn’t matter around the league. I am just happy to be a Pittsburgh Steeler. I am glad they saw something in me to pick me.

How many tackles did you make at Miami, about 500?
[Laughs] I think I had 300 or up around that area. I had 41 tackles for loss, if I am not mistaken.

Re: Playing on special teams your first season:
There’s no doubt I will. When I met with Coach Butler at the combine, he told me that no rookie linebacker came in and started. They had to work their way in on special teams. I am all for it. Anything I can do for the team, I am willing to help, whether that’s coming in and contributing on special teams, I am all for it.

Players from Miami normally go in the first round, right?
We do. They do. But it’s a draft. You never know how it will go. I know guys that are just happy to be drafted so they can reach their dreams.

Re: The Steelers’ linebackers:
It’s going to be great getting to train alongside those guys. I’ve watched them for so many years. I’ve watched Lawrence Timmonshttp://www.steelers.com/assets/nflimg/icon-article-link.gif (http://www.steelers.com/team/roster/lawrence-timmons/afc86dd7-633e-4e37-a4da-5f089a96b666/) play. Just having a chance to be in the same room with those guys and practice with them, and read their mind is going to be great.

ChucktownSteeler
04-28-2012, 01:47 PM

Got him!

coldrolled
04-28-2012, 04:11 PM
Linebackers Coach Keith Butler on Sean Spence

Is Sean Spence and inside or outside linebacker?
He is going to be inside. They (Miami) have played in a 4-3 front, but it’s a different front than ours. We see him as an inside linebacker.

Are the days of Levon Kirkland playing the buck long gone? He seems pretty small?
I wouldn’t say that. This guy is smaller than Levon Kirkland. Sean is a very instinctive, fast, quick kid that is very smart. He is probably best served if we can cover him up. What I mean by that is; if you look at James Farrior, he played the last four or five years at 230 pounds and when you get older like that, it’s best to be playing at 230 pounds as opposed to 235 pounds because he knows the game well enough that he is going to act fast enough and he can use the techniques and knowledge of the game, he doesn’t have to be as heavy. It’s better for him so he can keep his mobility, because that’s more important than anything else. This guy has that mobility.

Is this guy a buck?
I wouldn’t call him a buck, no. The buck linebacker has to be a little bit bigger and take on the guards more.

Real Deal Steel
04-28-2012, 06:22 PM
After sleeping on this pick, I see what Lebeau is trying to do. He's trying to find a way to stop all these crazy TE's from converting on those 3rd down situations on us. Ravens drove us crazy in the second game hitting us with those TE's. I hope this idea of Lebeau works. Because if we take away these TE's from the Patriots and Ravens, they are in a whole heap of trouble.

Black@Gold Forever32
04-28-2012, 06:37 PM
Not just TE's but Ray Rice types out of the backfields...How many times have we seen Rice make our LB's look silly?.......

Real Deal Steel
04-28-2012, 06:56 PM
Not just TE's but Ray Rice types out of the backfields...How many times have we seen Rice make our LB's look silly?.......

Good point. Heck of a point. I'm liking the pick more and more now. Hahahaha

BlacknGoldHaze
04-28-2012, 09:01 PM
Okay, you're winning me over on this pick.....my first reaction was :scratch:....I'm starting to see the sense in it.

coach
04-29-2012, 11:46 AM
Got to like this stuff from CBS:

04/27/2012 - LB Sean Spence, Miami (Fla.) -- Only 5-11, 230, Spence is faster on the field than his 4.6 40 times at the Combine. He gets downgraded for average strength but his amazing recognition skills through diligent film study might still help him be a three-down linebacker for the Steelers.
03/16/2012 - NFL Draft Scout Top Edge Players, OLB/DE: Sean Spence, OLB, Miami, 5-11, 231, 2-3...Spence does everything he can to overcome lack of natural size and strength. He is already a coach on the field - something teams may note for the future - and shows amazing recognition skills that result from intense film analysis. Athletically, he reads and reacts quickly without wasted steps. Spence is not fooled often by play action, and shows above average skills as a pass defender. At the combine, he said "I think I am a three-down linebacker - very fast, I can go sideline to sideline, I'm a smart, very instinctive player. ... I lead by example, and most of all I make plays." Indeed, Spence has been consistent throughout his athletic career, collecting more than 100 tackles as a senior on Miami Northwestern High School's 2007 national championship team (chosen by USA Today). In 2008, he earned ACC Rookie of the Year honors at Miami and his career totals include 317 tackles (169 solo and 46 for a loss) and 10.5 sacks. But he may be tagged as an overachiever based on his workout at the combine, which included only 12 reps with 225 pounds on the bench press and a mediocre 4.71 seconds in 40 yards. He said afterward he had a bad shoulder and usually benches at least 19. - Frank Cooney, The Sports Xchange/NFLDraftScout.com

coldrolled
04-29-2012, 01:23 PM
He is a bit shorter than Farrior and weighs the same. that means he is tougher on the hits..

cbrunn
04-29-2012, 02:14 PM

How is he supposed to cover them TE's and stuff ... He's giving up like what 5-7 inches and a lot of Body ??? ... they'll just shield him off with the body ... nothing he can do about it

But i hope your right

Phenomenal TJ
04-29-2012, 06:00 PM
I just threw up in my mouth... no way id touch him

I'd of much rather signed him than watching Cincy do it. Vontaze could be an absolute animal if he were picked up by a team with deep rooted values and some ethics.

Phenomenal TJ
04-29-2012, 06:01 PM
How is he supposed to cover them TE's and stuff ... He's giving up like what 5-7 inches and a lot of Body ??? ... they'll just shield him off with the body ... nothing he can do about it

But i hope your right

Even at that, how much bigger are the majority of wide receivers when compared to corners?

coldrolled
04-29-2012, 06:04 PM
I'd of much rather signed him than watching Cincy do it. Vontaze could be an absolute animal if he were picked up by a team with deep rooted values and some ethics.

100% correct. Now if he shows up we have to deal with him for 10 years.........

coldrolled
04-29-2012, 08:07 PM
Miami Examiner

Sean Spence- Pittsburgh Steelers at Pick #89, 3rd Round- Spence was UM's best overall player last year after he suffered through an injury-plagued junior season. Spence is a bit undersized, but he should be an ideal fit in the team's 3-4 defensive scheme at one of the two inside linebacker positions and it's possible he could see immediate playing time for a team in need of an infusion of youth on defense.

coldrolled
04-30-2012, 11:10 AM
This little dude...

http://www.sunflaremarketing.com/images/sean.JPG