PDA

View Full Version : Steelers 2nd Round Pick - 2012 - Mike Adams - OT - Ohio State

BlitzburghRockCity
04-27-2012, 09:46 PM
The Steelers continue to work on the offensive line now in the 2nd round by taking Mike Adams, Tackle from OSU. It's clear that they are going to do all they can to keep Ben Roethlisberger's jersey clean. I personally love this line of thinking, it's been far too long that they've allocated multiple high picks to the interior line on offense.

Even with the character issues, there's just too much value here to pass up for a guy who could have been a 1st round Tackle. The front office did their homework on him and this could be a huge steal.

From NFL.com (http://www.nfl.com/draft/2012/profiles/mike-adams?id=2532783)
Adams has flashed talent at left tackle for the Buckeyes, not allowing many sacks when actually on the field. Suspensions for violating team rules and his part in Ohio State's "Tattoo Five" scandal, as well as various injuries, have kept him on the sideline too often during his career. He is not a flashy player, but he can do the job and has the frame for the next level. He will be more of a backup option when he enters the NFL and would struggle if thrown into a starting role. Based off his experience at a big-time school and frame, he should be taken somewhere in the later rounds.

Strengths

Adams has a good frame and good enough footwork to not get beat at the college level. He employs a decent pass set to get back and anchor himself against the bull rush, and has the footwork to shuffle and keep his feet chopping when blocking to drive a man downfield in the run game. His big-game experience playing at Ohio State helps his value.

Weaknesses

Adams is not a very exciting player and can struggle at times with effort-based issues that don't allow him to get much movement on the line when run-blocking. He is more of a catch-and-react blocker than one who delivers blows, and will need to play with more fire and look to unleash his inner-athleticism to be able to succeed at the next level. Those suspensions and injuries will also eat away at his draft stock.

K Train
04-27-2012, 09:48 PM
YEAH BABY

check my mock ;-)

connecticutsteel
04-27-2012, 09:49 PM
TO QUOTE MARV ALBERT YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS! WE GOT A STEEL CURTIN ON OFFENSE

JShare86
04-27-2012, 09:50 PM
The only protection Ben needs is some magnums.

SuperSteelers
04-27-2012, 09:51 PM
Any bets on how long before this guy is kicked out of the NFL?

Nolrog
04-27-2012, 09:52 PM
I like it. The OL is going to be so much better this year.

Think he'll start this year? Does he project as a T or a G?

In the 3rd, it's going to be that Taaamu dude.

harpo
04-27-2012, 09:52 PM
Awesome pick.

I'm assuming they'll play him at LT and keep Gilbert at RT. What sayest thou?

K Train
04-27-2012, 09:54 PM
ive been preaching this so hard

Farrior Fan
04-27-2012, 09:54 PM
Does Adams start this season? If so what does our starting oline look like?

JShare86
04-27-2012, 09:59 PM

He will be busted for reefer before training camp starts 100%

Nolrog
04-27-2012, 09:59 PM
Does Adams start this season? If so what does our starting oline look like?

Gilbert, Colon, Pouncey, DeCastro, Adams

Number99
04-27-2012, 10:00 PM
Watching Colbert.....I like what hes saying

Blazedby92
Love the direction we are going but even the pre rank Bio says he is injury prone and most likely not a starter. Could care less about the petty crap he got for the tatto scandal.
Is he really a second rounder?

Callax
I would like a LT to be able to bench press 225 more than 19 times.... he will be spending ALOT of time in the weight room, and out of trouble (I hope)

Number99
04-27-2012, 10:01 PM

any bets on how long it is before you're kicked off this board?

SuperSteelers
04-27-2012, 10:04 PM
Love the direction we are going but even the pre rank Bio says he is injury prone and most likely not a starter. Could care less about the petty crap he got for the tatto scandal.
Is he really a second rounder?

Steelers were reaching with this pick.

K Train
04-27-2012, 10:04 PM
I would like a LT to be able to bench press 225 more than 19 times.... he will be spending ALOT of time in the weight room, and out of trouble (I hope)

starks did 21....6-8 guys arent bench pressers.

poe did 44 with the shortest arms at the combine.....not a coinicence

its footwork and arm length

SuperSteelers
04-27-2012, 10:05 PM
any bets on how long it is before you're kicked off this board?

You have an issue with me brah?

K Train
04-27-2012, 10:06 PM
You have an issue with me brah?

youre kinda the worst, as in you have no idea about anything

no offense though

The Lakelander
04-27-2012, 10:06 PM
I'm not buying into this pick yet ... camp at Latrobe will tell this tale ... when we brought in Flozell Adams, he was ridiculed heavily by Steelers fans ... frankly many of our fans hated the entire notion of Flozell ... but I went to camp and saw Flozell mauling the competition in drills ... and then it was made known that his pre-snap issues in Dallas were due to deafness in his right ear, a matter that wouldn't affect him on the RT side of our O-line ...

Mayock says Mike Adams has the feet to play on the left side ... I'd love to see Gilbert stay on the right side, with DeCastro next to him ... we love to run right! ...

Any way you look at it, the Steelers came out of the first two rounds with two of the top rated offensive linemen in this draft!

K Train
04-27-2012, 10:07 PM
I'm not buying into this pick yet ... camp at Latrobe will tell this tale ... when we brought in Flozell Adams, he was ridiculed heavily by Steelers fans ... frankly many of our fans hated the entire notion of Flozell ... but I went to camp and saw Flozell mauling the competition in drills ... and then it was made known that his pre-snap issues in Dallas were due to deafness in his right ear, a matter that wouldn't affect him on the RT side of our O-line ...

Mayock says Mike Adams has the feet to play on the left side ... I'd love to see Gilbert stay on the right side, with DeCastro next to him ... we love to run right! ...

Any way you look at it, the Steelers came out of the first two rounds with two of the top rated offensive linemen in this draft!
i could try to sell you....either check my mock or watch some tape....mike adams can sell you himself

Number99
04-27-2012, 10:08 PM
@ SS ya think

SuperSteelers
04-27-2012, 10:08 PM

no offense though

Sorry you feel that way. I feel the same way about your posts. no offense tho

BlitzburghRockCity
04-27-2012, 10:09 PM
K train has got to be loving some himself some K train today..LOL.

If Adams stays on the straight and narrow he could be a huge steal in the 2nd round

MattyVfromCT
04-27-2012, 10:10 PM
been wanting this kind of focus on the o-line since 06. very happy right now!

SuperSteelers
@ SS ya think

Deal with it.

strummerfan
DOn't mind reading things like this

This is a mountain of a man that has all the physical tools needed to be an elite offensive lineman in the NFL. Adams is a 3 year starter at LT at Ohio State but probably better suited to play RT at the next level. However, he has also shown the versatility to kick inside and play guard. With his long arms and great punch he's able to keep his man at bay. He has also shown the ability to mirror the defender making it hard to even sniff the QB

Nolrog
04-27-2012, 10:11 PM
Steelers were reaching with this pick.

Adams was the 40th ranked player in the draft. Steelers got him at 56. This wasn't a reach at all. It was a good value pick.

The Lakelander
04-27-2012, 10:12 PM
You gotta love this kid's size ... and he's in a group of no-nonsense guys here in Pittsburgh ... Pouncey, Gilbert, DeCastro ... the demeanor of this young group is sickeningly scary to imagine ...

This draft is going way good!

Number99
Deal with it.

Well you wouldnt be so bad if you were a Steelers fan ..... just a troll in disguise

K Train
K train has got to be loving some himself some K train today..LOL.

If Adams stays on the straight and narrow he could be a huge steal in the 2nd round
i feel like im always loving myself some k train come draft day :-)

they need to offer me a job, like asap

JShare86
04-27-2012, 10:13 PM
Let's just hope this guy steers clear of the wake and bake tweets

K Train
04-27-2012, 10:14 PM

he can have the santonio holmes wake and bake suite...thats a non issue with him

Nolrog
04-27-2012, 10:16 PM
been wanting this kind of focus on the o-line since 06. very happy right now!

Same here, yeah.

Black@Gold Forever32
04-27-2012, 10:17 PM
Mike Adams on board now....I would have been fine with Mike Adams at 24 until the weed thing...Not that I care about weed myself but I knew he would fall due to over-reaction....The Steelers OL has went from a total joke to the verge of being one of the dominant OLs in the NFL.........Pouncey, Decastro, Gilbert, Adams......Throw in Colon, Foster, and Legursky.......I'm not a fan of Willie Colon but he ok to plug in there with the talent the Steelers just added to their OL the last three drafts.....

SteelCityVoice
04-27-2012, 10:17 PM
If not for his off the field issues, Adams would have been a first rounder. Anything but a reach here.

Blazedby92
04-27-2012, 10:18 PM

no offense though

Get 'em K

coldrolled
04-27-2012, 10:18 PM
Ben is for sure sending his flak jacket to LUCK He will need it

Ok, now we have the offense done....

Fanapgo is the next pick NT i think i spelled it right

Ben is having a party right now. Adams DeCastro

Adams Colon Pouncey Decastro Gilbert

Ben is gold now.

K Train
04-27-2012, 10:22 PM
id love fangupu or chapman next...i will not complain about any picks, im so spoiled this year

BlitzburghRockCity
04-27-2012, 10:23 PM
They could pick pee wee herman at this point and I'd still be happy. I love 2 lineman in the first 2 rounds.

Black@Gold Forever32
04-27-2012, 10:26 PM
They could pick pee wee herman at this point and I'd still be happy. I love 2 lineman in the first 2 rounds.

Honestly after Decastro the Steelers could have tanked the rest of the draft and I would have been happy....Adams is just icing on the Decastro cake........could be Jonathan Scott....I'll take Willie Colon as the swing OT..........

The Lakelander
04-27-2012, 10:26 PM
Ben is having a party right now.

I'm sure Willie Colon is by his side :lol:

$teelersRule
04-27-2012, 10:27 PM

no offense though

Great Response!:clap:

greennick
04-27-2012, 10:29 PM
OL gets beastier and beastier

SteelCityVoice
04-27-2012, 10:31 PM
A definite longshot, but if Massie slides to the Steelers in the third round, do they do the unthinkable and draft a third Olineman?

BlitzburghRockCity
04-27-2012, 10:32 PM
I already love this draft, just think of the battles in training camp that are coming with both Adams and DeCastro..hell if Massie dropped it would be a clear cut sign that the entire line last year, minus Pouncey and Gilbert, are on notice...if they weren't already.

elephantman
04-27-2012, 10:33 PM

whats the story about Adams willing to have his signing bonus held in 'escrow' if he gets into any weed trouble or other off field antics for 18 months...and his apology about lying about when he last smoked weed at the combine....anyone hear about this? or am I hearing things?

The Lakelander
04-27-2012, 10:39 PM
whats the story about Adams willing to have his signing bonus held in 'escrow' if he gets into any weed trouble or other off field antics for 18 months...and his apology about lying about when he last smoked weed at the combine....anyone hear about this? or am I hearing things?

Maybe it's like one of those drag-a-maggot fat chick bangs we guys tend to do the weekend before our wedding night ... you know ... to get it out of our systems before real life kicks in ... :grin1:

Farrior Fan
04-27-2012, 10:39 PM
1176I haven't seen Pee Wee Herman on any draft boards? He must be a kicker??

How about a party at Ben's house with Peewee and Adams as guests. Now thats a party

Number99
04-27-2012, 10:41 PM
1176I haven't seen Pee Wee Herman on any draft boards? He must be a kicker??

How about a party at Ben's house with Peewee and Adams as guests. Now thats a party

As long as its at his house and not in GA or a Vegas hotel room.

Nolrog
04-27-2012, 10:42 PM

If they get Ta'amu in the 3rd, I'm gonna be "manly excited" all weekend.

BlacknGoldHaze
04-27-2012, 10:45 PM
I'm okay with this pick if Mike can stay off the pipe....unbelievable value with our first two picks...now let's look to fill the holes in the middle of our defense!

The Lakelander
04-27-2012, 10:45 PM
Adams will be choosing his locker room friends soon ... and Coach Tomlin will be watching ... will Adams hang with the clean guys like Gilbert and DeCastro? ... or will he migrate to the shady side of the locker room with Colon and Big Ben ... ???

The Lakelander
04-27-2012, 10:46 PM
I'm okay with this pick if Mike can stay off the pipe....unbelievable value with our first two picks...now let's look to fill the holes in the middle of our defense!

C'mon Haze ... how many stoneys do you know that "stay off the pipe" man? ... :thinking:

BlitzburghRockCity
04-27-2012, 10:48 PM
@MarkKaboly_Trib: "We told him that he's off our draft board. These are the stipulations that you have to accomplish for us to consider to draft you." Colbert

@MarkKaboly_Trib: "He met our criteria, he met our stipulations and we were comfortable in taking him where we took him." Colbert

Black@Gold Forever32
04-27-2012, 10:50 PM
C'mon Haze ... how many stoneys do you know that "stay off the pipe" man? ... :thinking:

You do know the entire Steelers OL was on coke before Super Bowl XIV vs the Rams right?....I think that worked out pretty well......I'm willing to bet 70% of the players in the NFL draft have tried weed at one time in their life....

BlacknGoldHaze
04-27-2012, 10:51 PM

Tru dat.....maybe he can get some pointers from Ricky Williams... :dunno:

SteelerRush
04-27-2012, 10:55 PM
Wow I dont know about you guys but I just cant stop smiling. The drinks are flowing and the players are just falling our way. Who is ournext pick and should we trade up for Ta'ammu?

jpele
04-27-2012, 11:01 PM
I was a little leery of the pick until Art Ii eased my mind:

When Adams reached out to the Steelers for a second interview, the Steelers agreed though general manager Kevin Colbert told Adams ''you're off our draft board.''
During the meeting Colbert, coach Mike Tomlin and owner Art Rooney II outlined a set of criteria Adams needed to meet if he wanted to get back on the board.
Consider it done.
Convinced Adams wants to turn his life around, the Steelers selected him in the second round on Friday with the 56th overall pick in the draft. While acknowledging Adams' checkered past - he missed five games last season while serving an NCAA suspension for receiving improper benefits - the Steelers also believe he's serious about turning his life around.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/steelers-draft-ohio-state-tackle-010200717--nfl.html

Dean Denton
04-27-2012, 11:08 PM
I like the direction of the picks so far, but I just worry about the health of both players taken. We seem to lose players on the o-line before pre season ends. But over all we got a couple steals in the draft. I cant believe both these guys were still on the board when we picked. Lets hope that we see them play together once the season starts.

K Train
04-27-2012, 11:16 PM
ive just been saying for weeks the steelers like him, hes smart, they had workouts, they had meetings.....a failed drug test wouldnt effect how they felt about him.....they know him on a more personal level than ANY prospect

BlitzburghRockCity
04-27-2012, 11:22 PM
Mike Adams press conference transcript here (http://www.steeleraddicts.com/forum/showthread.php?35487-Mike-Adams-press-conference-transcript&p=493807#post493807)

Black@Gold Forever32
04-27-2012, 11:23 PM
ive just been saying for weeks the steelers like him, hes smart, they had workouts, they had meetings.....a failed drug test wouldnt effect how they felt about him.....they know him on a more personal level than ANY prospect

This...

steelchamp204
04-27-2012, 11:24 PM
Santonio Holmes on the O-line, hitting the reefer before the start of camp, Im calling it.

Three Four
04-27-2012, 11:32 PM
I hope the Steelers offense plans to score many points. The D needs inside linebackers and a nose tackle. Right now, you got Foote, Timmons and Sylvester. Harrison, Woodley Worlids and Carter. Harrison and Woodley won't play but more than half the season due to injury. The Steelers will look to pick up some depth here. Anything past the 3rd round is practice squad first year. McLendon will have to do at nose tackle because Hampton will probably be injured more than half the games. Gay is gone in the secondary. Brown and Allen will have to step up. This will be a big challenge if the starting LB's are out. Tebow lit up the Steelers secondary when a few key defensive linemen went down. For a change the offense will have to be relied on to win games.

Three Four
04-27-2012, 11:36 PM
The Steelers address a glaring need on defense. He looks like he could play safety instead of linebacker.

SteelCityVoice
04-27-2012, 11:37 PM
Shocked they went with Spence, but I've learned to trust their judgement.

steelchamp204
04-27-2012, 11:56 PM
Shocked they went with Spence, but I've learned to trust their judgement.

Sylvester and Worlids say Hi. Who knows what Timmons we will see this year also, remember lastyear he said he was going to have a dbl sack year and a whole bunch of tackles. Hopefully he turns himsef around.

Speeed
04-28-2012, 12:10 AM
And how do you know this? Did you travel from the future or peer into your crystal ball? Or get all wonky when you tried you tried to peer into your crystal ball to see the past? Can you give me next week's megamillions number? I love the future. Please, do tell me more. . . .

I hope the Steelers offense plans to score many points. The D needs inside linebackers and a nose tackle. Right now, you got Foote, Timmons and Sylvester. Harrison, Woodley Worlids and Carter. Harrison and Woodley won't play but more than half the season due to injury. The Steelers will look to pick up some depth here. Anything past the 3rd round is practice squad first year. McLendon will have to do at nose tackle because Hampton will probably be injured more than half the games. Gay is gone in the secondary. Brown and Allen will have to step up. This will be a big challenge if the starting LB's are out. Tebow lit up the Steelers secondary when a few key defensive linemen went down. For a change the offense will have to be relied on to win games.

steelchamp204
04-28-2012, 12:17 AM
And how do you know this? Did you travel from the future or peer into your crystal ball? Or get all wonky when you tried you tried to peer into your crystal ball to see the past? Can you give me next week's megamillions number? I love the future. Please, do tell me more. . . .

No offense, do you really expect our defense to carry the load this coming season. I don't.

Real Deal Steel
04-28-2012, 12:25 AM
I was leary of Adams because the rumors say he's soft. Well, we will toughen him up. That's one thing we will do. Decastro will show him how to have the proper attitude.

steelchamp204
04-28-2012, 12:28 AM
I was leary of Adams because the rumors say he's soft. Well, we will toughen him up. That's one thing we will do. Decastro will show him how to have the proper attitude.

The past few guys we have gotten from OSU havent really been great for us. Doesnt include Heyward yet, but its not pretty.

JensK
04-28-2012, 05:23 AM
I wonder what they will do now. Adams is a more natural Left Tackle than Gilbert is, however Gilbert have more experience on the line.

Farrior Fan
04-28-2012, 08:48 AM
No offense, do you really expect our defense to carry the load this coming season. I don't.
I have learned that the best way to predict the future is to look at the not so distant past. WE WERE THE #1 D last year. Did we give up some big plays? Yes, but so did everyone else. This isn't the same NFL as is was even 5 years ago. You must score points to win today. Our D is fine, I would love to get a stud NT, I really really would. But the FO knows what they are doing and will utilize Ziggy, McClendon, and Snack there this year. I'm guessing teams still don't have much success running against us.:2guns:

Farrior Fan
04-28-2012, 08:54 AM
The past few guys we have gotten from OSU havent really been great for us. Doesnt include Heyward yet, but its not pretty.

I honestly believe that the best talent by far is in the SEC. It's basically like Triple A baseball down there. I can't believe no Florida, Texas, or FL State players have been drafted yet... but I don't follow college FB much so I don't know who the best prospects are down there this year.

apxpress33
04-28-2012, 09:05 AM
"Mike Adams on board now....I would have been fine with Mike Adams at 24 until the weed thing...Not that I care about weed myself but I knew he would fall due to over-reaction....The Steelers OL has went from a total joke to the verge of being one of the dominant OLs in the NFL.........Pouncey, Decastro, Gilbert, Adams......Throw in Colon, Foster, and Legursky.......I'm not a fan of Willie Colon but he ok to plug in there with the talent the Steelers just added to their OL the last three drafts..... " originally from Black@gold forever32

I agree w/the way this is looking with o-line,we could probably bring back bounce pass Bubby and make him an all pro qb

apxpress33
04-28-2012, 09:07 AM
Sorry forgot the qoutes forever32

Njsteelersnut
04-28-2012, 10:02 AM

I just heard the same thing about Adams, he supposedly wrote a letter to each team stating that about his signing bonus, hopefully its true. If he pans out and stays out of trouble, we could have a very formidable offensive line this year....and we all know we havent been able to make that claim in quite a while. If this line is dominant we could put up a lot of points this year. Go Steelers!!!

ChucktownSteeler
04-28-2012, 10:31 AM
He has 2 coaches next to him on the line. Decastro and Pouncey will keep him off the bong.

I like it!

C-town

coldrolled
04-28-2012, 10:32 AM
First off he is living in Ohio that is O HIGH O Theres nothing else to do but party. i grew up there i know.

Adams was on draft boards from 15 to 32 ... he is a top 40 pick and we got him at 56

Oh. i forgot to mention we dont have a LT. Well we have an old one with a ACl and a Right one with an achilles tear...
Maybe we should belooking at another guard too.

What a great draft so far.... Now we can get Burfict , Dennard and gamble on the crazies that should have been high picks..

We need a NT.

LatrobePA
04-28-2012, 10:43 AM
A little pot won't kill ya! Hell I eat it in my cereal!

86WARD
04-28-2012, 10:53 AM
http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/round-2-steelers-buck-trends-tradition-take-adams-633466/

Good story on Adams.

steelspikes
04-28-2012, 11:23 AM
Steelers build their teams on the draft more than anybody. No doubt they determined the benefits of having a tackle of Adams' quality far outweighed the risks stemming from off-the-field issues (which are sometimes just opportunities to mature as opposed to serious character flaws).
Excited about the benefits of having a solid O-line as the starting point for a more productive scoring offense.

BlacknGoldHaze
04-28-2012, 11:51 AM
Honestly, I'm surprised that we grabbed Adams given his "issues". I'm thrilled we got him but I figured we'd pass on him.

Looks like the best two first picks we could have imagined!

connecticutsteel
04-28-2012, 11:54 AM
The positive test was a deal breaker . Then he requested a face to face meeting with Colbert ,Tomlin and Art Rooney and they gave him a 2nd chance if he didn't speak to them they wouldn't have drafted him

coldrolled
04-28-2012, 11:58 AM
:cope:

Looks like the best two first picks we could have imagined!

BlitzburghRockCity
04-28-2012, 11:58 AM
The positive test was a deal breaker . Then he requested a face to face meeting with Colbert ,Tomlin and Art Rooney and they gave him a 2nd chance if he didn't speak to them they wouldn't have drafted him

Exactly, he's got serious motivation now and a reason to stay focused and out of trouble.

ChucktownSteeler
04-28-2012, 11:59 AM
Hopefully the kid has learned a lesson. I am pulling for him. Time will tell.

C-town

SteelDad
04-28-2012, 12:15 PM
I was initially not real thrilled with the pick but I'm coming around based on a couple of things;

1. Adams realized the situation he put himself in with the lying and positive test. He came to the Steelers and threw his potential bonus out the window and offered his full committment. I trust the Rooneys and Colbert here and I'm hopeful the veterans will continue to help his maturity.

2. Ktrain's point about the low bench numbers is very accurate. Adams has always used that length to his advantage and going up against guys like Harrison and Woodley in TC will be great for his development.

We have not been real successful with 2nd rounders overall of late but I will remain positive and hopeful for Adams and the Steelers.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk 2

connecticutsteel
04-28-2012, 12:18 PM
It occured to me when reading his draft evaluation when it said he takes plays off but looks like an elite prospect when focused .That's exactly what pot does it makes people take plays off and stunts their potential Vontaze Burfict is an example

coldrolled
04-28-2012, 12:30 PM
Exactly, he's got serious motivation now and a reason to stay focused and out of trouble.

Motivation Plus... Really now he is protecting a QB.... not a bunch of losers he had to protect in Ohio.....