PDA

View Full Version : Shutdown corner?

DIESELMAN
01-25-2007, 09:13 PM
We need one and maybe Tomlin can turn Ike into one but if not check this guy out. His speed and size are what I was looking at also. 6' 1" 205lbs. and a 4.35-40

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/scoutingreports/cb/marcusmccauley.html

BlitzburghRockCity
01-25-2007, 09:17 PM
I don't think we can ignore CB in this draft for the simple reason that Deshea is getting older now and we need to have a top 3rd QB that we can rely on so I'd definitely look for us to address this in 2007.

I'd love to have this guy but if we did take somebody of his caliber it would probably destroy what confidence he has left before Tomlin and Lebeau have a chance to work with him and build him back up.

Koopa
01-25-2007, 09:23 PM
there's no such thing as a shut down cb anymore, the nfl is making it to where in a couple of years, defenders ain't gonna be allowed on the field anymore....i don't think we need to look for a corner in the first 3 rounds, we got to work on the linebackers and oline first............

Black@Gold Forever32
01-25-2007, 09:25 PM
We need one and maybe Tomlin can turn Ike into one but if not check this guy out. His speed and size are what I was looking at also. 6' 1" 205lbs. and a 4.35-40

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/scoutingreports/cb/marcusmccauley.html

I have been keeping up with the senior bowl practices and Mccauley has been struggling during practice. Plus he had a bad senior year. I'm not saying this guy isn't going to be a good player. But his stock has fallen a bit as of late and the Steelers might be able to snag him say 2nd to 3rd round. He has the physical tools for sure.

BlacknGold Bleeder
01-25-2007, 09:35 PM
Ike is a shutdown corner ask CJ. He may have had an off season but I wouldn't throw him on the trash heap yet.

House of Steel
01-25-2007, 09:37 PM
speaking of CJ, he has a book out here in OHIO, called CAN'T STOP ME!! I swear to God it is true, I took one look at the book and wanted to wipe my *** with it.

Koopa
01-25-2007, 09:39 PM
Ike is a shutdown corner ask CJ. He may have had an off season but I wouldn't throw him on the trash heap yet.

yeah, i look at this year more of a sophomore slump since it was really only his second year starting.......plus it didn't help that cowher was coaching him, i say that because cowher wasn't that good of a motivator this year, and he didn't really get into ike like maybe he would've had in the past......... hopefully with a new secondary coach and with tomlin, he'll go back to the basics and learn more about playing the corner spot since he's still got stuff to learn..........

Black@Gold Forever32
01-25-2007, 09:42 PM

Ok I'm not throwing Ike to the trash heap even if he rebounds you can never have enough solid cover corners. Hell your safties have to able to cover anymore.

SteelersfaninPhilly
01-25-2007, 10:00 PM
Really the CB is becoming more useless. Heard a couple rumors that the comp committe is looking to give the WR an even bigger advantage. Picks better spent on OL/DL LB

BlitzburghRockCity
01-25-2007, 11:14 PM
One thing Ike needs to learn is to forget about the last play regardless of what he did. Corners need to have a short memory and he dwelled on his mistakes far too much and he just went downhill.

TEEMONT
01-25-2007, 11:46 PM
I dunno about drafting a shutdown corner, our "projects" don't seem to be working out too well. I would rather see us go after someone via free agency.

I still think IKE has what it takes, he had a MUCH better season at CB than Ben did at QB, and people are still on Ben's jock.

Steelersfan
01-26-2007, 02:21 AM
It would be nice to have shut down corner but we can hide average CB's on our D if we get pressure. I'm a little worried about the age of our LB's and the way our OL played last year. I think those are the 2 main areas we need to take care of now.

Koopa
01-26-2007, 02:30 AM
we just need to draft demarcus ware type player.........

SteelerFan87
01-26-2007, 03:09 AM
Really the CB is becoming more useless. Heard a couple rumors that the comp committe is looking to give the WR an even bigger advantage. Picks better spent on OL/DL LB

I don't think the rule changes are eliminating the CB position, they're just making it like the rule changes in the NHL, where it weeds out the less talented guys who depend on physically being all over a guy in order to stop him. This just forces them to play the position like it's meant to be played. A shutdown corner is still huge. Look at Champ Bailey or even Asante Samuel. They can hurt you so badly with INTs that you don't even throw to their side anymore, thus eliminating a WR.

Black@Gold Forever32
01-26-2007, 03:12 AM
But 87 you have to agree the rules are getting alittle out of hand with favoring the offensive players. The defensive players can't even touch an offensive player anymore.

Steelersfan
01-26-2007, 03:20 AM
This is why you guys are missing my point!.....lol You get pressure on the QB you won't need to worry about your CB's as much. Especially the D we play.

SteelerFan87
01-26-2007, 03:22 AM
I'll agree that the way they're handling roughing the passer has been absolutely terrible. But that's mostly because of the inconsistency. I mean, some guys get killed (like Ben against the falcons) and there's no flag, and other guys get tapped in the head and there's a 15 yard penalty.

Black@Gold Forever32
01-26-2007, 03:25 AM
This is why you guys are missing my point!.....lol You get pressure on the QB you won't need to worry about your CB's as much. Especially the D we play.

Oh I agree with the Steelers need to improve their pass rush bigtime and that helps out the secondary. The interesting thing though is I know the Steelers will probally stick with the 3-4 this year. But probally down the road I could see a switch to a 4-3.

Would it be smart to start drafting for that now? Its going to be interesting on draft day thats for sure. Thats finding an hybrid DE/OLB probally would be the smartest move. That way that player could play in either the 4-3 as an DE or OLB in the 3-4.

SteelerFan87
01-26-2007, 03:33 AM
I think the most optimistic thing is to hope Tomlin can make our defense like the Pats' defense was in it's prime, where you can switch between a 3-4 and a 4-3 at any time. Imagine the havoc that would cause with opposing offenses.

Steelersfan
01-26-2007, 03:33 AM
Oh I agree with the Steelers need to improve their pass rush bigtime and that helps out the secondary. The interesting thing though is I know the Steelers will probally stick with the 3-4 this year. But probally down the road I could see a switch to a 4-3.

Would it be smart to start drafting for that now? Its going to be interesting on draft day thats for sure. Thats finding an hybrid DE/OLB probally would be the smartest move. That way that player could play in either the 4-3 as an DE or OLB in the 3-4.

If they do decide to switch it would be much easier to start doing it now through the draft. I'm still thinking we could be playing some hybrid 3-4 or 4-3. Kind of like the Ravens did at times this year. Sometimes they even went to like a 2-6 or some crap...lol But it confuses the hell out of the offense so whatever works best.

Black@Gold Forever32
01-26-2007, 03:44 AM
I think the most optimistic thing is to hope Tomlin can make our defense like the Pats' defense was in it's prime, where you can switch between a 3-4 and a 4-3 at any time. Imagine the havoc that would cause with opposing offenses.

Well I think thats what we will see this year and probally next year some type of hybrid defense mixing both schemes. All I'm saying I wouldn't be shocked down the road the Steelers just become a 4-3/cover2 team.

I'm all for the hybrid defense talk though. The more stuff you can to confuse other teams offenses is nothing but a plus in my book.

Black@Gold Forever32
01-26-2007, 03:47 AM
If they do decide to switch it would be much easier to start doing it now through the draft. I'm still thinking we could be playing some hybrid 3-4 or 4-3. Kind of like the Ravens did at times this year. Sometimes they even went to like a 2-6 or some crap...lol But it confuses the hell out of the offense so whatever works best.

Yea I agree with the hybrid and I'm all for that really. I think thats the way to go. Especially this year.

But since Tomlin is a 4-3/cover2 guy. I wouldn't be shocked say in 3 or 4 years that the Steelers are just a 4-3/cover2 team.

But I hope Tomlin develops a hybrid defense and keeps it. But Mike Tomlin did say he will run a defense that plays to his players strengths. So really it all depends on the personal he has.

Steelersfan
01-26-2007, 03:50 AM
If Tomlin is half the guy he claims to be he will pick up a few things from Dick. Who knows what that could turn into and it could change the way he looks at playing D.

Black@Gold Forever32
01-26-2007, 03:55 AM
If Tomlin is half the guy he claims to be he will pick up a few things from Dick. Who knows what that could turn into and it could change the way he looks at playing D.

Oh I agree Tomlin should listen to Coach LeBeau and I think Tomlin will for this year and next year. Even though LeBeau has only 1 year left on his contract I see the Steelers probally running a hybrid type of defense the next few years. I just hope it stays that way. The big problem with the 3-4 its tough finding the right players for the system to work since alot of teams run that defense again. Its much easier finding the right players for a 4-3.

DIESELMAN
01-26-2007, 06:42 AM
The Steelers made the 3-4 defense popular, but it's not like switching to the 4-3 is going to kill us for a long time.. The Patriots run the 4-3, 3-4, 5-2, 2-5 and 1-6 and everything in between. The Ravens run the 4-3, the 46, and variations on these variations. Minnesota wasn't strictly a "Cover-2" team last year. Depending on down-and-distance, the Vikings defense also played Cover-1 and Cover-3. Know who else plays a lot of Cover-3? Yes sir thats right, the Steelers, behind all the zone blitzes. Let's say the Steelers use the next two off-seasons to stock up on "4-3" players via free agency and the draft. If history is any indication, Kevin Colbert and the Steelers personnel department won't forget how to identify talent. And LeBeau and Tomlin won't forget how to coach, either.

Art Rooney II said this about switching D's:

How do you make the switch? Free agency, the draft, down the road? I think if you look at some of the defensive packages that we’ve played over the years, we’ve played with four down linemen in a lot of games for a lot of plays. If you made a decision to convert to it on a permanent basis then you’d probably have to spend two years re-doing your personnel. But there’s something to be said for the fact we’ve played four down linemen on a lot of plays, and doing more of that is probably something he’ll look at.

As far as the rules changing to give the offense all the advantages. This is the way I look at it.....you can't hit a receiver after 5 yards? So that means you got 5 yards to knock the **** out of him...theres no rule that says how hard you can hit a receiver is there? I know its easier said then done right? Every time that receiver comes off the line he gets hit and the more he gets hit coming off the line the more he will hurt the more he hurts the more he will wish he wasn't playing the Pittsburgh Steelers. Thats what we need to get back....Smashmouth Defense!!!!! Hit you in your mouth and dare you to get the **** back up. As far as a roughing the passer penalty...**** it....Get a good clean hit in every time don't worry about pulling up and holding back. If the ref throws the flag guess what the QB still got drilled into the turf, the more his *** is on the turf the more he'll hurt the more he hurts the more he'll wish he wasn't playing the Pittsburgh Steelers.....:helmet:

K Train
01-26-2007, 11:14 AM
I think Mcfadden is a good player to and nobody is really talking about him, he fights for the ball everytime its thrown his way

Steelersfan
01-26-2007, 11:18 AM
Something else to remember is that the famous "Steel Curtain" was a 4-3. So it's not like the 4-3 can't be a good defense. I'd still like to see us do some hybrid thing though.

TEEMONT
01-26-2007, 11:39 AM
I am not so sure we couldn't run a decent 4-3 right now!

K Train
01-26-2007, 11:44 AM
"We will play to the strengths and capabilities of these players, in many respects X's and O's are overrated, you play to the strengths of your players"

there you have it Mike tomlin himself just nailed this argument shut

SteelerFan87
01-26-2007, 12:18 PM
I am not so sure we couldn't run a decent 4-3 right now!

I don't think we can, at least not consistently. We don't have the right personel. A 4-3 depends alot more on the D linemen for pressure, and our D linemen aren't pressure guys, they're block eaters and run stoppers. We could probably use an OLB as a DE, but then he'd be undersized. I'm sure we could use some 4-3 occasionally right now, but if we try to switch to it permanently with the guys we have, it won't work.

Koopa
01-26-2007, 05:07 PM
I don't think we can, at least not consistently. We don't have the right personel. A 4-3 depends alot more on the D linemen for pressure, and our D linemen aren't pressure guys, they're block eaters and run stoppers. We could probably use an OLB as a DE, but then he'd be undersized. I'm sure we could use some 4-3 occasionally right now, but if we try to switch to it permanently with the guys we have, it won't work.

well not all, keisel is a pressure guy, that's why ppl were doubting him at the beginning because they didn't think he could be anymore then a pressure guy, they thought he'd get ran all over..........and casey is from ut, and i could've sworn we play 4-3.......so a change wouldn't be to bad if we did it right now, just the db's suck, troy gets bombed on at will in this system i doubt he'd be good in another system............

BlitzburghRockCity
01-26-2007, 06:50 PM

:plus1: :iagree: 100 %

Running a hybrid scheme and using the 43 in certain situations would be a very good thing for us and could make us even more potent on defense but running a 43 now with the defensive players we have wouldn't work. It would take a couple years minimum of drafting players and getting FA's to build it properly.

bigrod
01-28-2007, 08:34 PM
Players learn to adapt to the rules, or atleast the good ones do or they go bye bye. I think corner is a need. The degree to which that need is addressed will be up to Coach Tomlin and his staff. Depth for the O line is a need also. With the likelyhood that Hartings may not return this need may go to the front of the order. This draft should be interesting.:helmet:

BB2W
01-28-2007, 08:50 PM
I'm not convinced this kid is a "shutdown corner"... a lot of Steelers fans seem to like him.

K Train
01-28-2007, 10:29 PM
what kid?

BB2W
01-28-2007, 10:51 PM
what kid?
Sorry... I was speaking of Marcus McCauley.

I'm not sure where the thread went after the original post.

K Train
01-28-2007, 10:56 PM
i wouldve rather just have had cromartie slip to the second round lol

TEEMONT
01-29-2007, 11:47 AM
Eh, I'm happy with Ike and McFadden, they just need a good DB coach.

BlitzburghRockCity
01-29-2007, 12:10 PM
The Steelers have spent several premium picks over the last few years on DB's, Im just not sure I can see them spending another on one this year. McFadden, Taylor, and Smith were all day 1 picks, and Polamalu a few years back was a first round. I'd had to think they believe in this current group enough to give them a shot under a new coach and see how they do.

Koopa
01-29-2007, 04:49 PM
and we all may hate coc but he still has potential, we drafted him in the second round.....maybe he'll break out this year, you never know.....a lot of ppl were giving up on ike and bam he became a stud for us......so we still got potential and some depth, i don't think we'll draft a corner in the first 3 rounds....i think we'll draft OL and LB not in any order i just see us getting those positions in the first 3 rounds........ a wet dream will be hunt in the 2nd lol........

BlitzburghRockCity
01-29-2007, 04:52 PM
If Coc makes this team in 2007 it will be his last string. He's under achieved since he mainly got on the field except in his rookie year. Last year with all those fumbles in the return game and when he did play in the defense he got burnt pretty easily, overall it was just flat out bad, so Im not holding my breath for anything special from Coc in 2007.

Koopa
01-29-2007, 04:58 PM
i bet you weren't holding your breathe for ike either, we just gotta stay postive that he'll at least have a good season so that when he becomes a free agent we can give him a decent tender and get a decent draft pick out of him when he leaves........

TEEMONT
01-29-2007, 05:13 PM
and we all may hate coc but he still has potential, we drafted him in the second round.....maybe he'll break out this year, you never know.....a lot of ppl were giving up on ike and bam he became a stud for us......so we still got potential and some depth, i don't think we'll draft a corner in the first 3 rounds....i think we'll draft OL and LB not in any order i just see us getting those positions in the first 3 rounds........ a wet dream will be hunt in the 2nd lol........

I dunno about you but I love the coc.......ohhhhhhhhh....ummmmm n/m.

clegge
01-31-2007, 04:54 PM
I think Darelle Revis would be ideal for the Steelers, & he is a local product as well { Aliquippa High & Pitt}. He's going to be a great one

Koopa
01-31-2007, 06:07 PM
we don't need a great one though, we just need depth, mcfadden is gonna be great and ike will be back.......... no need to go out in the first and draft him

BlitzburghRockCity
01-31-2007, 06:10 PM
i bet you weren't holding your breathe for ike either, we just gotta stay postive that he'll at least have a good season so that when he becomes a free agent we can give him a decent tender and get a decent draft pick out of him when he leaves........

I was holding my breath for Ike in 2006 because he played so well in 2005. As far as Coc, yes I'd like to see him have a decent year atleast and earn the money we're giving him.

That man should be sleeping with a football, eating with a football, and driving with one and have "hold onto ball" tattooed on his forearm :lol: