PDA

View Full Version : 2012 Steelers Starting Offensive line might be among the best in the league.

connecticutsteel
04-27-2012, 12:21 AM
LT-Gilbert LG- Foster C- Pouncey RG- DeCastro RT- Colon

I'M gonna call DeCastro DeSTROYO

Phenomenal TJ
04-27-2012, 12:40 AM
While it's a bit premature to call them among the best in the league, I think that the addition of a road grader like DeCastro is going to vastly improve a running game that's going to otherwise come out limping (literally with Rashard Mendenhall's injury) and from what I saw from him in pass protection Ben Roethlisberger may be able to breathe a bit easier (albeit probably because all the shots on his ribs will go down) and he and Pouncey could be a dangerous duo.

steelersbabex25
04-27-2012, 01:48 AM
They improved a ton last season I thought between all the injuries and all the moves. Hopefully DeCastro will put them over the top. Not too sure about best in the league yet, we'll have to see how everything pans out. But for the first time in a while we should have a pretty decent offensive line if all goes to plan.

xBlitzBurghx
04-27-2012, 03:40 AM
I hope so. Maybe next year we won't have to draft linemen in the 1st!!!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk

connecticutsteel
04-27-2012, 03:54 AM
I NEVER SAID THE BEST I SAID AMONG THE BEST

BlitzburghRockCity
04-27-2012, 08:45 AM
I still think he could ultimately be the starter at LG and just let Foster start at RG, unless they go with another player on this draft that could step in on the other side of Pouncey.

Potentially they could be something special, but I'm holding off on talking them up too much until we see if they can at least stay healthy.

The Steelers are thin at guard. Doug Legursky and Ramon Foster ended the season as their two starters and Trai Essex was re-signed as their lone veteran backup. While DeCastro played exclusively on the right at Stanford, Tomlin said it wouldn't limit him with the Steelers.
http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/drafts-top-guard-falls-into-steelers-lap-633297/?p=0

LatrobePA
04-27-2012, 08:50 AM
Imagine if Ben will throw the ball away once in a while too, MONEY!!

connecticutsteel
04-27-2012, 02:48 PM

When hell freezes over lol.....

Nolrog
04-27-2012, 02:51 PM
We're getting waaaaay ahead of ourselves right now.

coldrolled
04-27-2012, 03:04 PM
We need to get a LT.

strummerfan
04-27-2012, 03:19 PM
We need to get a LT.

We've got a LT.

The Lakelander
04-27-2012, 03:23 PM

Exactly! ... Ben makes his O-line look far worse than they are ... while Tom Brady makes his O-line look far better than they actually are ...

DeCastro is a fortunate draft pick that probably shouldn't have fallen into our laps ...

But to get our O-line to where it will be close to elite will require one more solid OT (Colon is a stretch) and one more solid OG ... maybe we can still get one or the other tonight or Saturday?

Zachintosh66
04-27-2012, 03:57 PM
worse case thats an improvement

coldrolled
04-27-2012, 04:02 PM
We've got a LT.

Gilbert could be great, but Martin or Adams would be a LT and Gilbert the RT...

Colon and DeCastro the Guards.

HUNT4SEVEN
04-27-2012, 09:23 PM
Gilbert LT Foster LG Pouncey C Decastro RG Adams <<<<<<<<NASTY....

Real Deal Steel
04-27-2012, 11:47 PM
If we can put a pair of balls on Adams, we may have a top 10 offensive line.

steelchamp204
04-27-2012, 11:51 PM
How and the hell do you guys even know DeCastro/Adams will even pan out. Keep drinking the coolaid. I think they will but seriously, Pouncey is made of glass/well atleast lastyear he was. Lets just take it one game at a time. DeCastro probably wont even start a game this year.

The Lakelander
04-27-2012, 11:51 PM
TE Leonard Pope ... 6'8" ... 265

Throw in Heath and Pope in two TE sets and we have a very formiddable O-line situation these days ...

The Lakelander
04-27-2012, 11:53 PM
DeCastro probably wont even start a game this year.

Yeah ... and beer's a buck this year at Heinz Field too :yesnod:

steelchamp204
04-27-2012, 11:56 PM

hope he start from week 1 forward, you know how Tomlin is with rookies though. I want him to start asap to get gel'd in with Pouncey/Gilbert/Foster. It would be a young line and they would do nothing but improve week after week.

BlacknGoldHaze
04-27-2012, 11:56 PM

:lol: DeCastro WILL start game one!

BlitzburghRockCity
04-28-2012, 12:15 AM
How and the hell do you guys even know DeCastro/Adams will even pan out. Keep drinking the coolaid. I think they will but seriously, Pouncey is made of glass/well atleast lastyear he was. Lets just take it one game at a time. DeCastro probably wont even start a game this year.

DeCastro will start in week 1, mark it down now. Adams will fight it out with Colon most likely and whoever wants it more will get it.

BlacknGoldHaze
04-28-2012, 12:21 AM
I don't get why some are dissing or underestimating DeCastro...this guy was the best guard in the draft and will anchor the right side for the next decade! We just drafted the next Alan Fanaca....we were given a huge gift by the draft gods!

The Lakelander
04-28-2012, 12:35 AM
3rd rounders are going by the wayside across our O-line these days ...

steelchamp204
04-28-2012, 12:39 AM
I don't get why some are dissing or underestimating DeCastro...this guy was the best guard in the draft and will anchor the right side for the next decade! We just drafted the next Alan Fanaca....we were given a huge gift by the draft gods!

I want Decastro to start week one. I think the guy could be better than Faneca at some point. I just have a feeling Tomlin isnt going to do it though. I would rather see a rookie struggle but make progress than stick some other guy out there taking away time from a young talent.

igor0190
04-28-2012, 12:45 AM
By saying DeCastro won't start... think about what you are saying! You are saying that DeCastro, one of the best guard prospects in a long time, will get beat out by... Doug Legursky, and/or Ramon Foster.

Really?

BlacknGoldHaze
04-28-2012, 12:49 AM
I want Decastro to start week one. I think the guy could be better than Faneca at some point. I just have a feeling Tomlin isnt going to do it though. I would rather see a rookie struggle but make progress than stick some other guy out there taking away time from a young talent.

I hear what you're saying......that has been the MO not to start rookies but Pouncey started as a rookie and I don't see Foster or Legs beating this guy out at camp. DeCastro is the real deal and I see him starting against Denver!

steelchamp204
04-28-2012, 12:59 AM
By saying DeCastro won't start... think about what you are saying! You are saying that DeCastro, one of the best guard prospects in a long time, will get beat out by... Doug Legursky, and/or Ramon Foster.

Really?

take it you didnt really get where I was coming from. Im glad Black did.

coldrolled
04-28-2012, 01:26 AM
adams and decastro ben will be the bomb

Phenomenal TJ
04-28-2012, 01:26 AM
I hear what you're saying......that has been the MO not to start rookies but Pouncey started as a rookie and I don't see Foster or Legs beating this guy out at camp. DeCastro is the real deal and I see him starting against Denver!

At the same time though, the MO has always been to start the best and most "game ready" player. If DeCastro comprehends the playbook and gels well with the rest of the OL, then I think he'll be a day one starter.

coldrolled
04-28-2012, 01:27 AM
we got 2 first rounders

JollyRob68
04-28-2012, 02:26 AM
Id go with
Adams Foster Pouncey DeCastro Gilbert. POwer Right side. Decastro pulls right and Pouncey when they go left. Still hoping we grab Brandon Washington or Tom Compton. Even Lucas nix would be a good Swing guy.

*** I know about Colon and I'd have him learn the Guard position.

Zachintosh66
04-28-2012, 09:13 AM
and too think Colon was once our best OL handsdown... now will be fighting for his life

ChucktownSteeler
04-28-2012, 09:33 AM
We have a nice O-line moving forward. The "forced" starter's last year now provide nice depth coming off the pine.

We need DT now.

Chapman please.

C-town

Njsteelersnut
04-28-2012, 09:38 AM
We have 7 picks today to fill some holes, hopefully we get a quality DT today. This is shaping up to be a great draft year for the Steelers lets hope they keep hitting on all cylinders today

ChucktownSteeler
04-28-2012, 09:40 AM
Yes, this looks like the year to beef up both lines. I go DL now in the 4th and maybe a RB in the 5th. That Streeter kid is still out there as well. Road-runner speed at WR.

C-town

The Lakelander
04-28-2012, 10:04 AM
We have a nice O-line moving forward. The "forced" starter's last year now provide nice depth coming off the pine.

We need DT now.

Chapman please.

C-town

Chucky ... you pegged the DE from Cincy - Derek Wolfe ... I didn't see him going so high ... nice job!

strummerfan
04-28-2012, 10:25 AM
and too think Colon was once our best OL handsdown... now will be fighting for his life

It might be slightly premature to be handing Colon his walking papers. After all they haven't even signed a contract yet, let alone play a down.

BlacknGoldHaze
04-28-2012, 10:46 AM
Adams may be a bit of a project....so I don't see colon going anywhere. DeCastro will be the week one starting RG.

coldrolled
04-28-2012, 10:48 AM
LMFAO

Really?