PDA

View Full Version : Pro Bowl may be cancelled...does anyone care?

BlitzburghRockCity
04-26-2012, 01:17 PM
There may not be a Pro Bowl this year, but really does anyone care? Nobody watches it, it doesn't sell out in Hawaii, it doesn't sell out in Florida, and TV ratings are nothing special either. Most of us that do watch it only do so to see our teams players one last time for the year.

The NFL and the NFL Players Association were considering the future of the Pro Bowl, the league confirmed Thursday, following reports the annual game was set to be canceled after last season's much-derided matchup.

"[The NFL has] been in discussions with the union about the future of the Pro Bowl. No determination has been made yet about this season's game," league spokesman Greg Aiello said.

The league and union agreed that the quality of last year's game, which saw the NFC claim a 55-41 win over the AFC, was unacceptable at a meeting between the sides earlier this month.

The sides, though, were understood to have discussed ways to improve the fixture rather than wipe it from the schedule.
The game still is listed on the NFL's calendar the week before New Orleans hosts Super Bowl XLVII on Feb. 3, though the location remains unknown.

Yet ESPN reported earlier Thursday, citing league sources, that the delay in naming a venue was because the Pro Bowl game "likely will be suspended this season and beyond," with NFL commissioner Roger Goodell "strongly considering" the move.

FOX Sports (http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/league-players-union-consider-canceling-pro-bowl-game-042612)

LatrobePA
04-26-2012, 01:33 PM
Is a JOKE I hope they get rid of it!

Nolrog
04-26-2012, 02:27 PM
It may be a joke, but they still got some 12.5 million viewers. Not a bad number (and more than the MLB AS game.)

coldrolled
04-26-2012, 02:33 PM
Why not have 20 highlight clips from each pro bowl selection and make it into a cool doumentary of each pro bowlers highlights for the year.

add some rookie of the year highlights. top 10 best plays from the year.
mvp player highlights.

would be a cool 3 hour show...

JoeSteelerFan
04-26-2012, 03:15 PM
To be perfectly honest, I'd rather see these NFL athletes compete against each other in some sort of "Battle of the NFL Stars" AFC vs. NFC format .... with various challenges of speed, agility, and strength. The finale would consist of a gauntlet obsticle course.

LatrobePA
04-26-2012, 03:20 PM
I'd say the only way they keep it is to allow the QB to be hit Greg Williams style!

Nolrog
04-26-2012, 03:29 PM
To me, the big problem is running the pro-bowl in Hawaii the week before the Super Bowl. That eliminates any SB participants from joining in, and they usually have many of the players people want to see.

I liked when they tried the Pro-Bowl in the same city as the SB. That sort of kicked off the week and the SB players were there, although not playing (understandably.) Or doing it the week after, the SB players got to join in as well.

jpele
04-26-2012, 03:37 PM
The pro bowl in no way resembles football And until it does it should be benched, never mind that's the regular season I'm thinking about.

Sheetz
04-26-2012, 04:54 PM
I wouldn't mind one bit if it was done away with

strummerfan
04-26-2012, 05:58 PM
I couldn't care less about the pro-bowl. Don't even remember the last time I watched it.

gtadroptop
04-26-2012, 07:24 PM
To be perfectly honest, I'd rather see these NFL athletes compete against each other in some sort of "Battle of the NFL Stars" AFC vs. NFC format .... with various challenges of speed, agility, and strength. The finale would consist of a gauntlet obsticle course.

They did something like that with the two Super Bowl teams back in the 70's. It was more entertaining than the Pro Bowls.

ChucktownSteeler
04-26-2012, 09:17 PM
I hope they cancel it. It has become a joke.

BlitzburghRockCity
04-27-2012, 11:24 AM
I'd like to see them bring back the skills contest too like they used to have. QB's battling in accuracy drills, the fastest man contest, bench press, WR agility and catching contests, etc. Maybe do something with charity where the players win money for each contest and part of it goes to a charity of their choice.

gtadroptop
04-27-2012, 12:37 PM
I'd like to see them bring back the skills contest too like they used to have. QB's battling in accuracy drills, the fastest man contest, bench press, WR agility and catching contests, etc. Maybe do something with charity where the players win money for each contest and part of it goes to a charity of their choice.

Prior to that, they did a team competition thing with both teams from the Super Bowl. If I remember correctly, Minnesota beat the Steelers in that competition. Franco was interviewed right after the tug of war. I remember him complaining that his hands hurt.

I believe that version of the concept only lasted a few years before it morphed into the super skills competition.

MattyVfromCT
04-27-2012, 09:12 PM
not at all. i'd rather see position competitions. fastest, strongest, best hands, best route running, most accurate passer, strongest arm, etc

BlacknGoldHaze
04-27-2012, 09:57 PM
Pull the plug already....plug the rosters into Madden '12 and let the Super Bowl coaches battle it out on the jumbotron...:sleepy: