PDA

View Full Version : What I"m hearing from around the league about the draft.................

Real Deal Steel
04-25-2012, 07:12 PM
Well, what I"m hearing is that Hightower will not get past the Chiefs and that Glenn will go in the teens also. With that said, I now don't want Poe because he's a bit of a project and we don't need a project. Our first round pick has be able to start. The guy I'm looking at is Amini Silatolu. Put this guy at guard and the running game is back in the mix. He's a small
guy from Midwestern State but don't let that fool you. He plays tackle but we can move him to guard which means he has the versatility we need in our O-line.

SteelCityKid5
04-25-2012, 09:40 PM
And you heard this from....?

coldrolled
04-25-2012, 09:49 PM
if some teams trade up for WR's we will be better off.

Real Deal Steel
04-25-2012, 11:10 PM
And you heard this from....?

Well, at first I heard it from a friend of mine who works for the Raiders two weeks ago. Then, today I decided to go to my favorite mocksters at Profootballtalk.com. That shook me up that their mock emulated what I was told. So I kinda think there is validity in it.

BlitzburghRockCity
04-26-2012, 12:54 AM
Poe's stock is dropping just a bit lately. He could possibly fall closer to 24 than most thought after the combine. Most GM's and Scouts don't think he's a day 1 starter though, he needs some time to develop. He's gotten by on brute strength and power against lesser opponents. It won't be that way in the NFL.

I'm not convinced the Steelers go for the obvious choice between Hightower or Poe. Just an odd feeling.

Nolrog
04-26-2012, 06:24 AM
Poe's stock is dropping just a bit lately. He could possibly fall closer to 24 than most thought after the combine. Most GM's and Scouts don't think he's a day 1 starter though, he needs some time to develop. He's gotten by on brute strength and power against lesser opponents. It won't be that way in the NFL.

I'm not convinced the Steelers go for the obvious choice between Hightower or Poe. Just an odd feeling.

I would argue that Poe never really rose in the eyes of the actual teams, because they knew the game tape all along and didn't get a caught up in the hype as some of the sports writers did (some had him rising from the mid 20s to top 10.) I'm not sure you could say he got by on brute strength because he wasn't a monster in his conference (didn't even make the all conference team.)

The obvious pick between Hightower and Poe is Hightower. For several reasons.

+ Hightower went to Alabama, Poe went to Memphis. Not saying a guy from Memphis couldn't do well in the NFL but the competition from Alabama has Hightower more ready now.
+ Poe's lack fo game tape and lack of establishing himself as a dominant force in a weak conference.
+ Hightower is more polished at this point and considered a good fit for a 3-4.
+ The dropoff between Hightower and the ILB that would be availble to us in the 2nd round is much greater than the dropoff between Poe and the NT that would be availalbe in the 2nd round.

Nolrog
04-26-2012, 06:31 AM
Well, what I"m hearing is that Hightower will not get past the Chiefs and that Glenn will go in the teens also.

At 11? That's a fairly large reach for Hightower. A bit of a reach for Glenn as well, though not as much.

I don't believe anything I hear. This is all draft posturing, nothing more.

SteelDad
04-26-2012, 07:56 AM
I'm hearing the Chiefs like the LB from BC or DeCastro...

Either way, I'm still thinking Hightower nor Poe will be our pick.

Number99
04-26-2012, 08:08 AM
Not to discredit your "sources" but really anything can happen at this point. To think Hightower might go at 11 is bit of a stretch but again its plausable. To think that any rookie the Steelers get at 24 will start right away is a bigger stretch. Unless devastated by injuries its doubtful any rookie will be starting. I however trust that the Steelers will pick someone who can help out very soon if their recent track record holds up.

The draft is almost here yet so damn far away.

The Lakelander
04-26-2012, 08:33 AM
I have a few points:

1. Colbert just said the other day that our #1 pick necessarily won't be required to start this season ... to me that leaves Poe and Hightower clearly in the mix ...

2. Why would the Steelers reach for an OG in Round #1 that is clearly a Round #2 prospect? ... especially in a draft where they can get the OG they need safely in Round #2? ...

3. Don't be surprised if the Steelers take a position in Round #1 that no one (neither expert nor amateur) is proclaiming ...

K Train
04-26-2012, 09:17 AM
poe is not as big of a project as hes being made out to be, its the easiest position to play (NT in a 34) of you are built for it. He will anchor wonderfully from day one and in no time we could have a DT that is at his absolute BEST on 3rd down. im talking haynesworth in tenn or ngata just pummeling interior oline. achoring he can do though, its not like he has to learn a ton

coldrolled
04-26-2012, 10:01 AM
If we dont get hightower in the 1st

We need to get the crazy burfict in the 4th or 5th. Take the gamble and have our defense straighten him up.

Then we get our 1st rounder ILB back.

K Train
04-26-2012, 10:02 AM
burfict is no longer draftable, i dont think he will even get an UDFA call

Number99
04-26-2012, 10:12 AM

I don't nessecerilly agree with that. Teams like the Raiders, Cowboys, Bengals and maybe even the Ravens I think will take a shot at him. It's not like those teams haven't ever taken chances on players like Burfict before. Someone will reach for him. Now whether he ends up being a productive NFL player is totally up to him if he gets the chance.

Zachintosh66
04-26-2012, 10:12 AM
Our first round pick has be able to start.

Um, dont hold your breath, whens the last time a first rounder started other than Pouncey?

Nolrog
04-26-2012, 10:19 AM

I agree.

K Train
04-26-2012, 10:28 AM
I don't nessecerilly agree with that. Teams like the Raiders, Cowboys, Bengals and maybe even the Ravens I think will take a shot at him. It's not like those teams haven't ever taken chances on players like Burfict before. Someone will reach for him. Now whether he ends up being a productive NFL player is totally up to him if he gets the chance.

no one took a chance on willie williams, aldarius bowman, deandre brown, noel devine, or marcus vick

coldrolled
04-26-2012, 10:54 AM

Not sure a 5th thru 7th is a reach for burfict. We have 85 he was a 7th... Harrison, how was his personal profile then?
Most of our 5th thru 7th round picks end up in the coulda woulda pile anyway.
Burfict at least is healthy and athletic. lots of upside. Lagaette Blount had a bad profile.. He crushes people.

Real Deal Steel
04-26-2012, 11:28 AM
Not to discredit your "sources" but really anything can happen at this point. To think Hightower might go at 11 is bit of a stretch but again its plausable. To think that any rookie the Steelers get at 24 will start right away is a bigger stretch. Unless devastated by injuries its doubtful any rookie will be starting. I however trust that the Steelers will pick someone who can help out very soon if their recent track record holds up.

The draft is almost here yet so damn far away.

If we got Hightower at #24, you can best believe he will be the starter. Linebacker and runningback are the two positions in football where you can come in from the draft and make an immediate impact.

But as quite as it's kept, we are desperate at ILB and nose tackle. Hampton may be back, but he really can't play anymore. As far as effectiveness, he's done. Hampton can't collaspe the pocket anymore..he just engages and that's it. We need that push from the middle of the D-line to make Woodley and Harrison that much more effective.

Real Deal Steel
04-26-2012, 11:33 AM
I have a few points:

1. Colbert just said the other day that our #1 pick necessarily won't be required to start this season ... to me that leaves Poe and Hightower clearly in the mix ...

2. Why would the Steelers reach for an OG in Round #1 that is clearly a Round #2 prospect? ... especially in a draft where they can get the OG they need safely in Round #2? ...

3. Don't be surprised if the Steelers take a position in Round #1 that no one (neither expert nor amateur) is proclaiming ...

Colbert can say what he wants to say. But I believe what I see more then what he says. Listen very carefully...

WE HAVE NO NOSE TACKLE! Screw what Colbert is saying. With no push from the middle, Harrison and Woodley are double teamed.

WE HAVE NO INSIDE LINEBACKER! All the guys we have now are best suited for the outside Linebacker positions. Truth be told, I wouldn't be surprised if they took two Inside Linebacker prospects for depth purposes.

Real Deal Steel
04-26-2012, 11:35 AM
Colbert is talking that smack but look at the roster. We are in a desperate way at a couple of the positions and we are in a red alert mode on the O-line. We neeeeed that upgrade at the offensive guard position.

SteelDad
04-26-2012, 11:56 AM
Agree with Ktrain on Burfict. It was announced last night he had a positive marijuana test at the combine.

Colbert can say all he wants about guys not needing to start but I don't buy it. We are incredibly thin in many areas. We need guys who can play now.

K Train
04-26-2012, 12:07 PM
Colbert is talking that smack but look at the roster. We are in a desperate way at a couple of the positions and we are in a red alert mode on the O-line. We neeeeed that upgrade at the offensive guard position.

ok we need at least one guard, we are thin at NT and have a near future need at MLB and S. Really not all that presser compared to some teams

JollyRob68
04-26-2012, 12:31 PM
Colbert can say what he wants to say. But I believe what I see more then what he says. Listen very carefully...

WE HAVE NO NOSE TACKLE! Screw what Colbert is saying. With no push from the middle, Harrison and Woodley are double teamed.

WE HAVE NO INSIDE LINEBACKER! All the guys we have now are best suited for the outside Linebacker positions. Truth be told, I wouldn't be surprised if they took two Inside Linebacker prospects for depth purposes.

I think they will take 2 LB and one will be Jerrell Harris who can play both but its said he would be a better buck. We need OLB depth. HOWEVER, I LIKE MORTY IVY!

xBlitzBurghx
04-26-2012, 02:20 PM
I'm sick of drafting linemen

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk

Real Deal Steel
04-26-2012, 02:24 PM

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk

I hear ya. I too secretly would like to land a nice cornerback but we've become so think at linebacker and on the lines that we have to do address those areas first. But I know exactly how you feel. sigh.

Nolrog
04-26-2012, 02:30 PM

True, but that's still where the need is.

I just wonder if we'll wind up with a defensive line that has three #1 picks on it. That should be a monster line.

SuperSteelers
04-26-2012, 03:14 PM
The draft is going to suck this year. Not a lot of good players to choose from. I say the Steelers need to trade down and pick up some extra spots.

K Train
04-26-2012, 03:58 PM
The draft is going to suck this year. Not a lot of good players to choose from. I say the Steelers need to trade down and pick up some extra spots.
not a lot of good players to choose from so you hope they trade down to pick up extra average players? jesus

Number99
04-26-2012, 04:31 PM

The Steelers don't have any ILB's? Funny I thought those guys named Timmons and Foote where but maybe I'm mistaken. And that dude Sylvester was one at one point. At least he has some funny trivia nights on facebook.

JensK
04-26-2012, 04:32 PM
On a semi-related note. Will we have a dedicated draft thread we can post in during the draft?

Real Deal Steel
04-26-2012, 04:39 PM
Timmons is more suited for the outside. Foote?? Foote is old and slow. We need a younger, more rugged guy for the ILB. Someone like Hightower. I can tell you this, the Ravens want Hightower and he will be a Raven if we don't take him.

K Train
04-26-2012, 04:40 PM
On a semi-related note. Will we have a dedicated draft thread we can post in during the draft?

i made one, ill bump it

K Train
04-26-2012, 04:41 PM
Timmons is more suited for the outside. Foote?? Foote is old and slow. We need a younger, more rugged guy for the ILB. Someone like Hightower. I can tell you this, the Ravens want Hightower and he will be a Raven if we don't take him.

timmons used to be more suited for the outside. did you see him play the outside last year? it wasnt pretty. he has grown into the MLB role, now hes gonna take farriors spot...even better for him

Real Deal Steel
04-26-2012, 04:52 PM
Timmons is huge in the upper torso. So I see what your saying. But I still think he's more suited for the outside. You have to remember that this year, there will be OTA's, camps and pre-season so that Timmons can get a real feel for the outside LB position. I still think that's where he ends up. That lockout year made it tough on a lot of guys to adapt to certain positions.

I just came from rotoworld.com and they put up their mock today and they have Hightower also going to Kansas City at # 11. Really pisses me off.

coldrolled
04-26-2012, 05:22 PM
So, here are the Steelers strongest position needs that might be useless in determining who they draft tonight -- offensive tackle or guard, nose tackle, inside linebacker, cornerback. Doesn't mean they won't draft an outside linebacker or a wide receiver or even a safety.

So, in trying to determine who they actually might take with the No. 24 pick, barring trades to move up or back in the round, it really comes down to an educated guess.

The Steelers aren't giving away their draft board, and they don't know who most of the teams ahead of them will draft, thus who will be available at their turn.

An educated guess, then, might show a handful of players: Nose tackle Dontari Poe of Memphis, Alabama linebacker Dont'a Hightower, Ohio State offensive tackle Mike Adams, Wisconsin guard Kevin Zeitler and outside linebacker Nick Perry of Southern California.

Start with Poe. Mel Kiper ranks him No. 1 at defensive tackle. Others aren't so sure. While he set the combine afire, he did not do that often enough to suit many. The Steelers prefer performance on the field vs. workouts in shorts, and they rarely take first-round risks. There may be better fits for them in the later rounds such as Josh Chapman or Hebron Fangupo.

Hightower: James Farrior is gone, and they need to find a replacement while Larry Foote holds the fort. He's the perfect fit, defensive captain for Alabama and a leader like Farrior. But that would be two inside linebackers in the first round in six years.

Adams: Good tackles are hard to find, and he's a good one. The Steelers have done a load of research on him and have determined there are no character issues, despite his reported positive test for marijuana use. They haven't drafted an offensive tackle in the first round since '96.

Zeitler: Plug him in at guard for the next 10 years. Solid, solid player. Guards are not often picked in the first round, but the Steelers have done it twice since '98 with Alan Faneca and Kendall Simmons.

Perry: He's a defensive end in a 4-3 and would convert to outside linebacker with the Steelers, so he would need a year or so, and he would have it playing behind James Harrison.

The pick: Hightower. If the Steelers don't grab him, the Patriots will be drooling at the thought of it.

strummerfan
04-26-2012, 06:02 PM
Holy cow it's not even May and the sky is already falling. We're doomed, doomed I say!

Number99
04-26-2012, 08:20 PM

really , how did Timmons do filling in for Harrison? Before you try to spin it your way, he he terrible. No edge rush pressure at all. Woirlds was better then Timmons on the outside and thats not saying a whole lot. I don't disagree with you that we need a young explosive ILB. But if it happens don't bet on him starting unless he blows the doors off in camp.

BlitzburghRockCity
04-26-2012, 08:34 PM
Don't discount Foote yet. He knows that defense inside and out and knows how to make the correct calls in the huddle and at the last minute on the line when the QB audibles or the offense changes up the formation.

Timmons can play outside but his strength is inside.

Real Deal Steel
04-26-2012, 11:36 PM
Don't discount Foote yet. He knows that defense inside and out and knows how to make the correct calls in the huddle and at the last minute on the line when the QB audibles or the offense changes up the formation.

Timmons can play outside but his strength is inside.

Don't get me wrong, I love Foote and all that he's done. But we need an injection of youth and speed. That's all.

Real Deal Steel
04-26-2012, 11:38 PM
really , how did Timmons do filling in for Harrison? Before you try to spin it your way, he he terrible. No edge rush pressure at all. Woirlds was better then Timmons on the outside and thats not saying a whole lot. I don't disagree with you that we need a young explosive ILB. But if it happens don't bet on him starting unless he blows the doors off in camp.

I'm hoping like hell that Timmons and Woirds step it up with a full OTA's and preseason. We've invested time and patience with both so we have to assume there is a reason their still on the team.

strummerfan
04-27-2012, 06:22 AM
I'm hoping like hell that Timmons and Woirds step it up with a full OTA's and preseason. We've invested time and patience with both so we have to assume there is a reason their still on the team.

Have you actually looked at TImmons' numbers, he's been solid for us. Last year he fell off a bit;however, he was also bounced around like a pinball.

coldrolled
04-27-2012, 06:29 AM
If we dont get the LT in the 2nd round The ILB Kendricks from CAL is fast 4.38, he could help out Troy and Timmons..

Change the whole outlook of the D, but would he play this year?

JensK
04-27-2012, 06:33 AM
If we dont get the LT in the 2nd round The ILB Kendricks from CAL is fast 4.38, he could help out Troy and Timmons..

Change the whole outlook of the D, but would he play this year?

If the player they want is there, it has to be OT (maybe another OG), MLB, DT or RB. That said, Steelers are not known to draft accordingly with their needs, especially in the latter rounds.

strummerfan
04-27-2012, 08:17 AM
I'm guessing you're not going to be listening to those "sources" any more.

cmerrifield
04-27-2012, 08:30 AM

Timmons is a ILB and should never be asked to play 3 out of 4 LB positions. The Steelers need to leave him inside and live with the OLB backups. Timmons does not need to get better outside, but learn the Buck position inside this offseason. Timmons is a beast if they would stop moving him all over the place.