PDA

View Full Version : Why the 2012 Steelers draft is so important.

BlitzburghRockCity
04-25-2012, 03:21 PM
The Steelers can't afford to miss on too many picks in the 2012 draft, and in the coming years as well. Now sure, you can say that for just about any year but for the foreseeable future it's even more important than usual.

Overall 2011 was a very good draft. Marcus Gilbert, Curtis Brown, Cortez Allen, Cameron Heyward, Baron Batch all look like the real deal. Chris Carter has potential too.

2010 was a good draft too when you consider the starters or potential starters from that class. Maurkice Pouncey, Emmanuel Sanders, Antonio Brown, Stevenson Sylvester, Jonathan Dwyer.

However there have been some serious misses in the early to mid round over the last 6 years or so. Guys that were gone within a year or two after being drafted. I understand you can't hit on everyone, and nobody expects you to do so. However beyond the obvious statement that 1st and 2nd rounders need to be home runs, you can make a strong case that 3rd and 4th rounders are too, or atleast the vast majority of the time. When you spend that much money and put that much effort into drafting guys high, you need them to pan out.

Limas Sweed - 2nd
Kraig Urbik - 2nd
Thaddeus Gibson - 4th
Bruce Davis - 3rd
Tony Hills - 4th
Ryan McBean - 4th
Crezdon Butler - 5th
Anthony Smith - 3rd
Willie Reid - 3rd

In 2012 and beyond with more and more older players retiring or being released, you need to start seeing the fruits of your labor pan out and not end up in the unemployment line.

LatrobePA
04-25-2012, 03:27 PM
D-Sep IMO is considered a bust...

JollyRob68
04-25-2012, 03:46 PM
Urbik they didn't give enough time and the lockout hurt. Mcbean went to Denver and did well and it pissed ArtII off. Crezdon Butler should still be on this team and could of been a Safety. Why they cut him I just dont understand he actually catches the ball for INT's.

Limas I was so excited that we got him such a shame. I'd bring him in to camp and see if his heads right.

Nolrog
04-25-2012, 03:49 PM
Limas Sweed - 2nd
Kraig Urbik - 2nd
Thaddeus Gibson - 4th
Bruce Davis - 3rd
Tony Hills - 4th
Ryan McBean - 4th
Crezdon Butler - 5th
Anthony Smith - 3rd
Willie Reid - 3rd

Jason Worilds - 2nd

FYI, Urbik was our 2nd pick that year but it was in the 3rd round. We had no 2nd round pick, though I don't recall why.

Real Deal Steel
04-25-2012, 03:53 PM
To me, a good ILB can be found in the middle rounds. But getting that O-line together and getting that nose tackle are the areas we need to use our first two picks on.

Don't get me wrong, I think Hightower can be a great player for us if we select him first but what type of offensive guard can we get in the 2nd round that can come in and start? If the front office has an offensive guard that they know can come in and start, then I'd feel a lot better.

We really need to hit on our first 3 picks. Love to hit on all of them the way that Reese of the Giants did on all 8 of their picks back in 2005 but if the first 3 picks could come in and start, that would be great.

cmerrifield
04-25-2012, 04:59 PM
Jason Worilds - 2nd

FYI, Urbik was our 2nd pick that year but it was in the 3rd round. We had no 2nd round pick, though I don't recall why.

It was a draft day trade, traded our second for 2 thirds basically. We drafted Wallace, Urbik and Lewis in the 3rd.

K Train
04-25-2012, 05:09 PM
D-Sep IMO is considered a bust...
4th rounders dont really "bust" and dsep was great. his knee was just shot. sometimes great players get hurt, had his knee been good hed consistently be a top 3 punter

K Train
04-25-2012, 05:10 PM
this draft is important because we have needs, not HUGE needs besides guard. but needs that are only going to get bigger at NT and MLB could be stopped now rather than when its too late (like how we let the oline get)

Real Deal Steel
04-25-2012, 05:38 PM
I'm looking for a draft day trade of Wallace to get us an additional 2nd round pick. Then we can use that pick to a get an additional lineman, or linebacker. That's my hope.

Nolrog
04-25-2012, 05:41 PM
this draft is important because we have needs, not HUGE needs besides guard. but needs that are only going to get bigger at NT and MLB could be stopped now rather than when its too late (like how we let the oline get)

I think the need at NT is also HUGE. Even though Hampton is still on the roster, he's coming back from a significant injury and will miss most if not the entire year. So we have an undrafted guy and no one else. Other than that, I agree with your assessment.

I have the exact same feeling about OLB and S next year in fact. Let's get the future guys now before it's too late.

xBlitzBurghx
04-25-2012, 05:49 PM
If the Steelers had as many high picks as the Raiders or Browns or Rams have had over the last xouple of years...m we would have a hell of a squad.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk

coldrolled
04-25-2012, 07:01 PM
Jason Worilds - 2nd

Ok in his limited time last year he has 3 sacks and a Forced Fumble

Harrison has 9 sacks and 2 forced fumbles, Woodley has the same stat.

Is he really that bad?

SteelCityKid5
04-25-2012, 10:45 PM
Im not selling Worilds yet but would have preferred Sean Lee

Real Deal Steel
04-26-2012, 12:14 AM
Worilds is going to get all the opportunities in the world this coming season to prove his worth. I think that with a full off-season and OTA's, along with pre-season, he'll be ready to assume a full time role.

Nolrog
04-26-2012, 07:36 AM
Worilds is going to get all the opportunities in the world this coming season to prove his worth.

I totally agree. And I fully expect that will prove once and for all he's not the guy.

BlitzburghRockCity
04-26-2012, 10:05 AM
I thought of putting Worilds in there but I think the jury is still out on him. Yeah he had injuries last year and he's inexperienced but I would have liked to see him have more of a consistent impact. Beyond him though there's zero depth on the outside without playing musical chairs with Timmons again.

K Train
04-26-2012, 10:15 AM
worilds blows

NT is a need but if you cant get poe, chapman, taamu, or fangupu then you roll with woods/hood/mcclendon/and maybe anthony gray.

they have guys, but like with woods its a matter of getting him onto the field

coldrolled
04-26-2012, 10:46 AM
worilds blows

NT is a need but if you cant get poe, chapman, taamu, or fangupu then you roll with woods/hood/mcclendon/and maybe anthony gray.

they have guys, but like with woods its a matter of getting him onto the field

If Worilds blows we need to get an OLB fast. We have two olb's that cost a ton and have the same number of sacks together as rookie pierre paul of the giants..

For the money they all blow. Get one of these in the first Chandler Jones/Nick Perry/Mercilus

LatrobePA
04-26-2012, 10:49 AM
Harrison isn't getting any younger, I agree if Worilds is so aweful we need to address this ASAP...

K Train
04-26-2012, 10:50 AM
ok blows might have been strong, but hes a clark haggans clone. he'll get there but he wont close or finish. its irritating

id love perry...want no part of jones

also, last year was an exception....woodley and harrison are dominant. injuries made it tough, but we have no reason to look at that as being the norm

LatrobePA
04-26-2012, 10:52 AM
Do you think Harrison will return to form this year?

Zachintosh66
04-26-2012, 11:14 AM
I dont consider D-Sep a bust, he was above ave... just injury prone

LatrobePA
04-26-2012, 11:30 AM
I dont consider D-Sep a bust, he was above ave... just injury prone

Injury prone at the end of his school days wasn't he? I didn't hate the guy I just felt he was a wasted draft pick everytime he was put on IR..

K Train
04-26-2012, 11:30 AM

if harrison and woodley stay healthy....im saying 35 sacks between the two of them. Espeicially if they land poe tonight

coldrolled
04-26-2012, 11:44 AM
if harrison and woodley stay healthy....im saying 35 sacks between the two of them. Espeicially if they land poe tonight

Then are D is back in business... If not our CB's will look like Ike in the playoffs chasing WR's to the end zone.

LatrobePA
04-26-2012, 11:50 AM

man I hope so!

elephantman
04-26-2012, 08:19 PM
Im not selling Worilds yet but would have preferred Sean Lee

Im selling worilds....i did the 'eye test' and he's not a stud.....he's average and thats not good enough

This is a serious draft...we got a tough division and Cinci has 2 1st rounders, all the AFC North has great Defenses...Cinci and the Brownies (yes Browns) are gettin better...browns gave a lot to get Trent richardson but he is a stud and will make them a tougher team and they have 2 1st rounders also....we have holes to fill, more than we have had in a while with our aging D....and nobody on our roster to fill aging Harrison and Foot/sylvestor

The Lakelander
04-26-2012, 08:53 PM
If the Steelers had as many high picks as the Raiders or Browns or Rams have had over the last xouple of years...m we would have a hell of a squad.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk

:lol:

strummerfan
04-26-2012, 09:00 PM
I love how people are calling Worilds a bust.

elephantman
04-26-2012, 09:07 PM
I love how people are calling Worilds a bust.

I suppose it's a wee bit early to call him a bust, but I think he is....2012 we will know for sure...but i watched him and have been dissapointed

strummerfan
04-26-2012, 09:17 PM
I suppose it's a wee bit early to call him a bust, but I think he is....2012 we will know for sure...but i watched him and have been dissapointed

THey don't expect him to be ready, they always say it takes about 3yrs to develop. He played mostly ST his rookie year and was forced into starting due to injury in a lockout year. He had some ughh moments, but he also had some ahh moments. Despite what people say he played reasonably well and calling him a bust is asinine.

Nolrog
04-26-2012, 10:24 PM

Yes, I do. His off season was impacted by his surgery and he wasn't able to get ready like he wanted. I expect him to put up good numbers and the defense to return more to form again this year. Oh and Worilds is a total bust.

elephantman
04-26-2012, 10:28 PM
Yes, I do. His off season was impacted by his surgery and he wasn't able to get ready like he wanted. I expect him to put up good numbers and the defense to return more to form again this year. Oh and Worilds is a total bust.

when Harrison and Woodley were both on the field together and Healthy (or not suspended), they played well...and had 2+ sack days each ...I think Harrison has a lot on the tank for 2 years tbh

LevonKirkland99
04-26-2012, 11:12 PM
Important draft because we have holes in a lot of areas...the O-line has been neglected since 2007 or so...defenestration's is getting old.
We need to find Hampton and Farrior replacements....

strummerfan
04-27-2012, 07:08 AM
Important draft because we have holes in a lot of areas...the O-line has been neglected since 2007 or so...defenestration's is getting old.
We need to find Hampton and Farrior replacements....

We've spent 3 first or 2nd rouind picks(4 including this year) in the since 2008, that's hardly neglecting the offensive line. That also doesn't include project picks like Scott, Hills etc, but keep spreading the myth.

coldrolled
04-27-2012, 07:27 AM
We've spent 3 first or 2nd rouind picks(4 including this year) in the since 2008, that's hardly neglecting the offensive line. That also doesn't include project picks like Scott, Hills etc, but keep spreading the myth.

Arians is gone now... no more wasted O players..

Watch Luck die in Indy. If he starts this year with Arians he is toast. Ben better send him his flak jacket. In Stanford he had 9 sacks on him in entire year. He looked good. Martin LT DeCastro G looked good... Luck was like Brady. Now he will be like Ben and Tim Couch. He doesnt know what is coming at him. I feel sorry for him.. Maybe the Colts will pick Konz or Glenn 1st today to help him out.. RGIII is going to look 200% better than Luck if they both start...

BlitzburghRockCity
04-27-2012, 10:12 AM
The problem is that they waited so long to address the offensive line that it's taking longer to fix it. Pouncey, Gilbert, and now hopefully DeCastro are going to be beast players for a long time. There's still work to be done but they are finally on the right track now.