PDA

View Full Version : How much longer to draft a Safety for the Steelers?

BlitzburghRockCity
04-24-2012, 01:28 PM
Steeldad and I were talking about this on the podcast last night (which by the way will be loaded up tonight). How much longer do you wait to draft a Safety to eventually replace either Clark or Polamalu?

The only real legit Safety, Mark Barron out of Alabama will likely be gone to the Cowboys, if not sooner. I have read some reports that say he could fall depending on how things pan out but likely not to #24. There is some good value picks in the mid rounds like Trumaine Johnson, Montana; Brandon Taylor, LSU. Maybe in round 6 with Aaron Henry from Wisconsin.

Do they really need one yet? They've gotten by with Polamalu and Clark for a long time, and Mundy as the backup. Clark is going into his 10th season now and is still playing at a high level but I wouldn't be totally shocked if Tomlin goes after some additional Safety help mid to late round if they can find good value.

K Train
04-24-2012, 01:31 PM
clark is not playing at a high level lol, thats such a myth

i like to pretend that cotez allen is the future at FS, barron could be a pick...wouldnt be too too crazy about it but it would sure up either safety spot for the forseeable future. just an abysmal safety class though

JollyRob68
04-24-2012, 03:10 PM
Yes they need one or two. Both Troy and Ryan Clark need more backups/eventual replacements. If we could pickup a Quality FS or CB I'm all for moving Ike to FS now and Have Cortez Allen & Lewis,Brown orRookie like Gilmore at CB.
Ryan Clark has had good years every other year and It may be time for him to goto the dime package the way DeShea did.

ANy Chance they put Lewis or Allen at FS? I see Allen as the starting CB.

JollyRob68
04-24-2012, 03:12 PM
Trenton Robinson,Keith Tandy,Jeremy Jones of Wayne st, Josh Norman or Bethel Johnson would be great selections 4th round on.

K Train
04-24-2012, 03:24 PM
Yes they need one or two. Both Troy and Ryan Clark need more backups/eventual replacements. If we could pickup a Quality FS or CB I'm all for moving Ike to FS now and Have Cortez Allen & Lewis,Brown orRookie like Gilmore at CB.
Ryan Clark has had good years every other year and It may be time for him to goto the dime package the way DeShea did.

ANy Chance they put Lewis or Allen at FS? I see Allen as the starting CB.

Cortez played some FS, Curtis brown is a much more pure corner i think. Hes not versatile between CB and FS like allen and lewis are.

And NO we dont want clark in on dime packages, thats a step backwards. He needs to be pulled in passing packages

LatrobePA
04-24-2012, 03:56 PM
Clark sucks, Troy is no longer playing like the old Troy, IMO you need to address this soon!

Nolrog
04-24-2012, 04:10 PM
Safety is one of the positions that I think we'll address high in the draft next year. OLB as well.

It's unlikely that we'll look for one this year, at least not early. The holes at NT, OL (and ILB to a lesser extent) are massive and must be addressed high. I for one would not be surpised to see something like ILB, NT, G, T or something like that in the first 4 rounds.

coldrolled
04-24-2012, 04:27 PM
Cortez played some FS, Curtis brown is a much more pure corner i think. Hes not versatile between CB and FS like allen and lewis are and NO we dont want clark in on dime packages, thats a step backwards. He needs to be pulled in passing packages

If allen takes the #2 spot, and curtis is the backup, maybe Lewis can go FS.

ChucktownSteeler
04-24-2012, 06:02 PM
Next year is considered a bounty class for safety with 7 to 8 considered first round material. Can we get by one more year?

Is Barron first round material or just the best of a weak class?

Can Myron Rolle surprise?

C-town

tgunn86
04-24-2012, 06:32 PM
Next year is considered a bounty class for safety with 7 to 8 considered first round material. Can we get by one more year?

Is Barron first round material or just the best of a weak class?

Can Myron Rolle surprise?

C-town

I am happy to say we have done pretty well with the safety play all these years. I mean, Its not an immediate need per-say and yes Barron definitely is first round material, he's too smart and athletic

tgunn86
04-24-2012, 06:36 PM
he led the team with 100 tackles, had interception, and was able to call plays and led them to the playoffs in Denver, WHICH they could have won if he was able to play, but instead they lost and he wasn't playing. Asset to team much?!

tgunn86
04-24-2012, 06:44 PM
They can definitely grab a top notch safety in next years draft, BUT if they want a solid back-up to groom they should look into Michigan State FS Trenton Robinson and have him learn behind Troy and Ryan. Besides Troy and Ryan may be getting older but that didn't stop them from contributing to the #1 defense in the league

Nolrog
04-24-2012, 08:15 PM
he led the team with 100 tackles, had interception, and was able to call plays and led them to the playoffs in Denver, WHICH they could have won if he was able to play, but instead they lost and he wasn't playing. Asset to team much?!

Are you referring to Ryan Clark?

They didn't lose the game because Clark was out. They lost because LeBeau coached the worst game of his career.

Real Deal Steel
04-25-2012, 02:44 PM
I'd like for them to take a safety in the 4th round. One with real potential that can contribute later in the season.

LatrobePA
04-25-2012, 03:03 PM
Or groom someone from with in...

Real Deal Steel
04-25-2012, 04:34 PM
It's kind of obvious from our playoff loss to Denver that we don't have that "someone" from within. And considering we are opening up in Denver, where Ryan Clark won't be able to play yet again, we will get torched if we don't have our safety questions resolved. Add to that the fact that Troy is always hurt too. We need to get some additional players in the secondary.

Nolrog
04-25-2012, 04:43 PM
Troy is no longer playing like the old Troy,

I wouldn't go so far as to say he's not playing like the old Troy. He was a half step off last year, true. But once you put some pressure on the QB, he makes up that time and things are different. The defense major problem is lack of pressure.

xBlitzBurghx
04-25-2012, 04:47 PM
Troy and Ryan are a good combo because they play very well together. I'd say draft a safety next year

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk